ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Re: What is Jayson Tatums ceiling? 

Post#201 » by captain green » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:31 am

I say scottie pippin but slightly better offense stats but less rings and accolades.
I think the duo of the Jays will lead us to a ring or 2 but no other team can be mj and pippin(that's like bill Russell status).
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,285

Post#202 » by brackdan70 » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:41 am

3 to 5 banners.
Sign here
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#203 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Feb 16, 2020 1:44 am

captain green wrote:I say scottie pippin but slightly better offense stats but less rings and accolades.
I think the duo of the Jays will lead us to a ring or 2 but no other team can be mj and pippin(that's like bill Russell status).

Pippen was an incredible player, but him and Tatum are about as different of players as two wings can be. Unless you just mean he will have a similar type of career as Pippen.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,850

Post#204 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:25 pm

The little guy just wanted to show his dad's ceiling.

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,850

Post#205 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:32 pm

I see you, Kuz!

Read on Twitter
captain green
Assistant Coach

Post#206 » by captain green » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:12 am

The Comedian wrote:
captain green wrote:I say scottie pippin but slightly better offense stats but less rings and accolades.

Pippen was an incredible player, but him and Tatum are about as different of players as two wings can be. Unless you just mean he will have a similar type of career as Pippen.

Basically saying when career is over. pippin is the only guy that I could think of same size plays d and o real well. That's why I said less accolades but better offense stats.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#207 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:35 am

Tatum has always made me think of George Gervin who was crafty, long, lanky and highly skilled with great not elite athleticism. Tatum is actually mirroring Gervin's early career too. It's uncanny how similar they are as players minus the 3 point shooting which wasn't a thing back then. Gervin to me is the most underrated Hall of Famer. if that can be a thing. He averaged a steal and a block per game and even led the league in scoring while doing so. Only the best non centers in history have done it (averaged a steal and block per game). We're talking guys like Pippen, Dr. J, and Giannis. That's rarified air. For a few seasons Jordan, Lebron and Bird surpassed or hovered around it. Gervin averaged that for his career! Tatum is hovering around it himself. Pretty cool stuff that Tatum can be mentioned alongside guys like that.
Soulcatcher33
Veteran
And1: 2,758

Post#208 » by Soulcatcher33 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:56 am

lol I like Tatum, but he will never be anything close to a Pippen defensively. The comparison also makes no sense at all as they play nothing alike.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#209 » by Ernest » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:53 am

At this point there is really no limit to how good he can be. He has the size and talent. Hard to compare him to older guys who played college for 4 years. He’d be a rookie next year if he stayed right?
captain green
Assistant Coach

Post#210 » by captain green » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:07 am

Soulcatcher33 wrote:

lol I like Tatum, but he will never be anything close to a Pippen defensively. The comparison also makes no sense at all as they play nothing alike.

Well that's like your opinion, man. :roll:
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#211 » by cloverleaf » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:11 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:Tatum has always made me think of George Gervin who was crafty, long, lanky and highly skilled with great not elite athleticism. Tatum is actually mirroring Gervin's early career too. It's uncanny how similar they are as players minus the 3 point shooting which wasn't a thing back then. Gervin to me is the most underrated Hall of Famer. if that can be a thing. He averaged a steal and a block per game and even led the league in scoring while doing so. Only the best non centers in history have done it (averaged a steal and block per game). We're talking guys like Pippen, Dr. J, and Giannis. That's rarified air. For a few seasons Jordan, Lebron and Bird surpassed or hovered around it. Gervin averaged that for his career! Tatum is hovering around it himself. Pretty cool stuff that Tatum can be mentioned alongside guys like that.

Okay, he's a center, it's way early, we're talking per-36, and this isn't his thread. But I thought I'd just interject that in short minutes so far this year Rob is averaging 2.3 steals, 2.8 blocks and 2.8 assists per 36. With a .671 TS% and 11.6 boards. I so hope he can stay healthy.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,688

Post#212 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:32 pm

captain green wrote:
Soulcatcher33 wrote:

Well that's like your opinion, man. :roll:

My first reaction is to say that Pippen's strengths and weaknesses on offense were very different from Tatum's. Basically, Pippen was a good but unspectacular offensive PG of the era who also had a great big-man-style mid-range bank shot. Only the dunking drives are similar between the two.

On the other hand -- how far really is Tatum from the handle that Pippen actually showed then? PGs today need a lot more razzle-dazzle than they did a 25-30 years ago. As for passing -- Tatum's is getting better.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#213 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:33 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:Tatum has always made me think of George Gervin who was crafty, long, lanky and highly skilled with great not elite athleticism. Tatum is actually mirroring Gervin's early career too. It's uncanny how similar they are as players minus the 3 point shooting which wasn't a thing back then. Gervin to me is the most underrated Hall of Famer. if that can be a thing. He averaged a steal and a block per game and even led the league in scoring while doing so. Only the best non centers in history have done it (averaged a steal and block per game). We're talking guys like Pippen, Dr. J, and Giannis. That's rarified air. For a few seasons Jordan, Lebron and Bird surpassed or hovered around it. Gervin averaged that for his career! Tatum is hovering around it himself. Pretty cool stuff that Tatum can be mentioned alongside guys like that.

Okay, he's a center, it's way early, we're talking per-36, and this isn't his thread. But I thought I'd just interject that in short minutes so far this year Rob is averaging 2.3 steals, 2.8 blocks and 2.8 assists per 36. With a .671 TS% and 11.6 boards. I so hope he can stay healthy.

And that's why Ainge won't trade Williams any time soon. In a trade, he'd be valued pessimistically regarding his health. But if the optimistic health scenario happens, the guy could be really, really good.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#214 » by Ernest » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:13 pm

Can Tatum ever get to the absolute top of the game? MJ, Bird, Kobe, Lebron level? With MJ and Bird they had that killer personality, if you met them on the street and knew nothing about basketball you'd you they were intense. Tatum seems more like the personality of Kobe and LBJ. Does that mean anything? Has the world just changed? Am I drunk again?

Tatum seems to have all the skills. Much like Paul did. Where he could quietly give us 20-25 a night for years to come. But can he just take over and will the team to huge wins when it counts? That's the question. What is his ceiling? Best to ever play is still an option. He's still young and already very good. But, personally, I'd like to see less smiles. I'd like more of that MJ grit. Maybe punch Wannamaker or something lol.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#215 » by cloverleaf » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:29 pm

Ernest wrote:Can Tatum ever get to the absolute top of the game? MJ, Bird, Kobe, Lebron level? With MJ and Bird they had that killer personality, if you met them on the street and knew nothing about basketball you'd you they were intense. Tatum seems more like the personality of Kobe and LBJ. Does that mean anything? Has the world just changed? Am I drunk again?

Tatum seems to have all the skills. Much like Paul did. Where he could quietly give us 20-25 a night for years to come. But can he just take over and will the team to huge wins when it counts? That's the question. What is his ceiling? Best to ever play is still an option. He's still young and already very good. But, personally, I'd like to see less smiles. I'd like more of that MJ grit. Maybe punch Wannamaker or something lol.

I don't see Tatum as having the personality of Kobe or LBJ. I also don't consider Kobe at the level of those other guys. And I'd say Kobe-level is JT's pretty high ceiling.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#216 » by cloverleaf » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:32 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

And that's why Ainge won't trade Williams any time soon. In a trade, he'd be valued pessimistically regarding his health. But if the optimistic health scenario happens, the guy could be really, really good.

Yep. It's also where they next need an upgrade. I am high on Romeo's potential, so the next big need is IMO at PG and this is a PG draft coming up in a few months--though I think Danny will need to move up a bit to get the quality of PG they need.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#217 » by 24istheLAW » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:42 pm

Ernest wrote:Can Tatum ever get to the absolute top of the game? MJ, Bird, Kobe, Lebron level? With MJ and Bird they had that killer personality, if you met them on the street and knew nothing about basketball you'd you they were intense. Tatum seems more like the personality of Kobe and LBJ. Does that mean anything? Has the world just changed? Am I drunk again?

I think Tatum has a good demeanor for a lead scorer. Doesn't get too high or too low. He's also worked a lot on his game, becoming an impact defender and reinventing his shot chart. I'm not worried about his intangibles at all.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#218 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:15 pm

Dirk Nowitski was the best player on a championship team. So was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. So was Steph Curry. So, arguably, was Kevin Durant. For that matter, Magic was a pretty nice guy, and Tim Duncan seems pretty relaxed.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#219 » by sam_I_am » Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:40 pm

Dirk Nowitski was the best player on a championship team. So was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. So was Steph Curry. So, arguably, was Kevin Durant. For that matter, Magic was a pretty nice guy, and Tim Duncan seems pretty relaxed.

I think this photo shows you all you need to know. The guy turned a corner and is ready to be the man for the Celtics for many years to come.

exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,030

Post#220 » by exculpatory » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:54 pm

sam_I_am wrote:

I think this photo shows you all you need to know. The guy turned a corner and is ready to be the man for the Celtics for many years to come.

Oorah
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.

Return to Boston Celtics