ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling? 

Post#541 » by Feed Your Head » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:19 pm

He will be a top five player within two years, and is fringe top ten as of now. At this point, I don’t think there is a reason not to believe he is capable of being an all 1st or 2nd team nba for a long time.

Going into this year all that mattered to me was seeing if Tatum could make the leap to superstar type of player, or at least on the trajectory. And seeing if Jaylen could improve enough to be a #2 guy on offense, and I think we are seeing that happen right now, though this next stretch without Hayward will be telling.

Pretty exciting stuff, regardless of how this season ends.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Post#542 » by 31to6 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:17 am

floyd wrote:Not his ceiling but does his game remind anyone else of Mashburn? The smooth pull-up off the dribble at that size - I don’t remember a lot of other dudes like that.

Not sure I see it but love the reference — Mashburn’s name has been swallowed up by time.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#543 » by floyd » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:29 am

31to6 wrote:
floyd wrote:Not his ceiling but does his game remind anyone else of Mashburn? The smooth pull-up off the dribble at that size - I don’t remember a lot of other dudes like that.

Not sure I see it but love the reference — Mashburn’s name has been swallowed up by time.

Probably a reach - my memory is ****. I do remember he was a hell of a scorer.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#544 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:33 am

floyd wrote:
31to6 wrote:

Probably a reach - my memory is ****. I do remember he was a hell of a scorer.

He was, and his mid range game was deadly. Even late in his career if he was backing down his man from about 15 feet, you knew what was coming and still couldn’t stop it.

If Mash played today I’m sure his game would look more like Tatums, just a lesser version with worse defense.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#545 » by themoneyteam2 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:47 am

Anyone saying his ceiling is Paul George is selling him short. I'd argue he might even be better than Paul George right now. Yes I said it dammnit!
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#546 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:51 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:Anyone saying his ceiling is Paul George is selling him short. I'd argue he might even be better than Paul George right now. Yes I said it dammnit!

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,249

Post#547 » by djFan71 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:56 am

The Comedian wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:Anyone saying his ceiling is Paul George is selling him short. I'd argue he might even be better than Paul George right now. Yes I said it dammnit!

That should be the majority opinion at this point.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,477

Post#548 » by Jaqua92 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:23 am

djFan71 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

That should be the majority opinion at this point.
I mean...yeah. I wouldn't call Tatum top 10 yet though. Top 15.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,076

Post#549 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:00 am

This gonna be Tatum in October reading my August posts of counting us out.

Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#550 » by Jaqua92 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:06 am

Tatum averages like 15 against the Bucks. Bad matchup, if we get to the ECF

denmuscles
Pro Prospect
And1: 620

Post#551 » by denmuscles » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:10 am

Jayson Tatum will truly hit his peak in about 2-3 years and as of right now he is being groomed in that top 10-15 player in the NBA. He still has not finished properly growing out and filling out. He not only can become top 5 player but maybe even MVP candidate. You can tell kids like him, Luka Doncic, Morant just have that IT factor that can only get better. He is long, he can defend, he can shoot there is nothing he can’t do. I will always say that the only player that really resembles how Jayson Plays is Kevin Durant. JT could be a step below Durant because of height but the way they play is really similar.
Jaqua92
RealGM

Post#552 » by Jaqua92 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:53 am

denmuscles wrote:Jayson Tatum will truly hit his peak in about 2-3 years and as of right now he is being groomed in that top 10-15 player in the NBA. He still has not finished properly growing out and filling out. He not only can become top 5 player but maybe even MVP candidate. You can tell kids like him, Luka Doncic, Morant just have that IT factor that can only get better. He is long, he can defend, he can shoot there is nothing he can’t do. I will always say that the only player that really resembles how Jayson Plays is Kevin Durant. JT could be a step below Durant because of height but the way they play is really similar.
I mean, Tatum may never put up numbers that Luka just did. Tatum is a lock top 10 player, but I'd be shocked if he's on Lukas tier when they are in their primes.

3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#553 » by 3D Chess » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:10 pm

Jaqua92 wrote:
denmuscles wrote:Jayson Tatum will truly hit his peak in about 2-3 years and as of right now he is being groomed in that top 10-15 player in the NBA. He still has not finished properly growing out and filling out. He not only can become top 5 player but maybe even MVP candidate. You can tell kids like him, Luka Doncic, Morant just have that IT factor that can only get better. He is long, he can defend, he can shoot there is nothing he can’t do. I will always say that the only player that really resembles how Jayson Plays is Kevin Durant. JT could be a step below Durant because of height but the way they play is really similar.
I mean, Tatum may never put up numbers that Luka just did. Tatum is a lock top 10 player, but I'd be shocked if he's on Lukas tier when they are in their primes.

Defense is a thing.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#554 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:20 pm

So a few months ago, Lowe implied that he is so high on Tatums potential that he “didn’t feel comfortable naming his comparisons for him on TV”. I think Durant, Kawhi, and Kobe are clearly who he was getting at. I don’t have to worry about looking stupid so I have no issue saying it.

Tatum reminds me of both Kawhi and Durant. Now I’m not saying he will be a top 20 or 30 player ever lol, but he’s going to be a perennial mvp candidate, and soon. Anybody who disagrees can bookmark this and rub it in my face if I’m wrong. Everyone else, get on board.

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#555 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:36 pm

The Comedian wrote:So a few months ago, Lowe implied that he is so high on Tatums potential that he “didn’t feel comfortable naming his comparisons for him on TV”. I think Durant, Kawhi, and Kobe are clearly who he was getting at. I don’t have to worry about looking stupid so I have no issue saying it.

Tatum reminds me of a Kawhi/Durant hybrid. Now I’m not saying he will be a top 20 or 30 player ever lol, but he’s going to be a perennial mvp candidate, and soon. Anybody who disagrees can bookmark this and rub it in my face if I’m wrong. Everyone else, get on board.

His offense reminds me so much of Kawhi’s game. He’s very paced and in control. Given his raw tools, he’s always able to get the shot he wants.

Once Tatum figures out how to get 7/8 FTA/G [and he will— next year he will get that superstar whistle], he’s going to completely take off and reach an MVP level.
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#556 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:49 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:So a few months ago, Lowe implied that he is so high on Tatums potential that he “didn’t feel comfortable naming his comparisons for him on TV”. I think Durant, Kawhi, and Kobe are clearly who he was getting at. I don’t have to worry about looking stupid so I have no issue saying it.

Tatum reminds me of a Kawhi/Durant hybrid. Now I’m not saying he will be a top 20 or 30 player ever lol, but he’s going to be a perennial mvp candidate, and soon. Anybody who disagrees can bookmark this and rub it in my face if I’m wrong. Everyone else, get on board.

His offense reminds me so much of Kawhi’s game. He’s very paced and in control. Given his raw tools, he’s always able to get the shot he wants.

Once Tatum figures out how to get 7/8 FTA/G [and he will— next year he will get that superstar whistle], he’s going to completely take off and reach an MVP level.

Kawhi is who he reminds me most of, but his unblockable pull-up game and team defense reminds me of KD as well.

I know saying all this stuff seems like blasphemy, but the impact he’s had the court this year kind of speaks for itself. I have no reason to believe he won’t continue to improve, so like....this team has got its championship number one going forward. Pretty sweet.
3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Post#557 » by 3D Chess » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:19 pm

Fizdale's comments pretty on point too.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,194

Post#558 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:27 pm

Past-his-prime Tayshaun Prince. If that.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Feed Your Head
RealGM

Post#559 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:28 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Past-his-prime Tayshaun Prince. If that.

There was actually a few posters early in the season on the GB compare him to Battier and Prince. Such odd comps.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,991

Post#560 » by Floody100 » Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:06 pm

The Comedian wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Kawhi is who he reminds me most of, but his unblockable pull-up game and team defense reminds me of KD as well.

I know saying all this stuff seems like blasphemy, but the impact he’s had the court this year kind of speaks for itself. I have no reason to believe he won’t continue to improve, so like....this team has got its championship number one going forward. Pretty sweet.

& he’s only 17.

Return to Boston Celtics