ImageImageImage

What is Jayson Tatum's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Re: What is Jayson Tatums ceiling? 

Post#81 » by Feed Your Head » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:56 am

Pierce with todays spacing and style would be a 30 a game guy at his peak.
exculpatory
RealGM
And1: 11,033

Post#82 » by exculpatory » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:05 am

Screen name Exculpatory will now make its 10,000th mother **** post.

It is only appropriate that Paul **** Pierce The Truth, Top 3-4 Celtic Legend, Top 40 NBA Player All Time, 15th leading scorer in NBA history, arguably the most clutch performer of his generation, & locked in future HOFER —- is a large part of that post.

One day, when we look back on Jayson Tatum’s career, I TOTALLY hope that the consensus is that he had as phenomenal a Celtics career as the Truth did or indeed an even BETTER CAREER. I will be rooting for him every **** step of the way.

PS I very vaguely remember having another screen name between 2004 & 11/10/2008 - so I actually probably have a few thousand more posts. LOL.

Go Celtics forever!
TRUUUUUUUUUTH!
JSmooth!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#83 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:57 am

Edug27 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Edug27 wrote:Tatum is pretty much on the level of the Pacers Paul George right now. And if PG didn’t get hurt, he’d be a much better player than his career suggests. I think Tatum can be a consistent 25-26 ppg and 7-8 reb player. I truly think he can be the #1 scoring option on a team that can get to the Finals. He just needed the freedom to play his game and not defer to anyone. He has that now, and he’s taken that next step.

And while we are on the topic, I’ve always seen Jaylen Brown as a Jimmy Butler type. He may not be the passer Jimmy is yet, but he gets buckets and plays on both ends of the floor in a very similar fashion. He’s tightened up the dribble and can pretty much get wherever he wants to on the floor. He’s learning how to use his body, and the shot is consistently improving. Plus he’s been great on the defensive side.

Jaylen is nowhere near the player Butler is. Butler actually plays defense at an elite level rather than Jaylen who flashes against slow white Europeans once every couple of weeks but disappears the rest of the time and has a reputations as a good defender. Butler is also a much better playmaker and can create his own shot whereas Jaylen is almost completely dependent on others to create for him unless he has a huge advantage like when teams throw their worst defenders at him because he's our 5th best player.

Tatum can come close to reaching peak PG13 but I doubt he can eclipse that because he lacks that elite athleticism. Still, that'll make him capable of making all-NBA 2nd team. Not quite good enough to carry a team to a championship but with some help he could be a #1 on a championship team. He's going to be an all-time great Celtic right up there with Russell, Cousy, Hondo, Bird, McHale, and Pierce. I just hope we can keep him here his whole career.

Tatum not athletic enough to be on the level of peak Paul George? Lol. Nonsense.

But anyway.. Jaylen is a better defender than you are giving him credit for. He can definitely get to Jimmys prime level. But I agree with the playmaking. That’s still an area Jaylen is developing in.. and maybe not at quickly as I envisioned coming out of college. But I’d disagree with Jaylen not being able to create his own shot. He’s been displaying that all season. He can get anywhere he wants to on the floor, and he’s starting to learn where his go-to shots are. He can also get to the basket at will, and is a much better finisher than his previous years. Jimmy was a 20, 5 and 3 player at age 25. Jaylen is a 20, 6 and 2 player at age 23. Not to mention Jaylen has a better shot than Jimmy had.

Paul George has a 39" vertical at 6'9" and is a full tier above Tatum (33 vertical) on the athletic scale. Let's agree to keep the discussion in the real world. We can be fans of Tatum without having to promote him into an all NBA athleticism club that Paul George is in. No need for hyperbole.

Jaylen is closer to Kelly Oubre than he is Jimmy Butler but I wouldn't expect to win that argument here so I'll concede.
Kaykoose
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,406

Post#84 » by Kaykoose » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:56 am

I'm very excited for Tatum's ascension. He took an incredible leap forward defensively, his handle appears improved, he's finishing at the rim consistently and he is getting scary good at hitting tough jumpers. His court vision and playmaking will improve as he gets more experience under his belt. I'm not ready to call him a superstar until I see his playoff performance, but he is trending in that direction for sure.

Also a quick comment on the comparisons. Tatum tried to model himself after Kobe but right now his game is very Paul George. I think this is awesome on a team where you have 3 other players capable of 20 PPG. I suppose the Pierce comparisons are due to Pierce being the last great Celtic wing, but Tatum doesn't play anything like him. Finally, you may have forgot how good Pierce was if you think Tatum as he stands now is better. I don't know what the stats say, but my eye test says Tatum still has some improving to do. I think he will get there and beyond with more experience.
exculpatory
RealGM

Post#85 » by exculpatory » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:09 am

Kaykoose wrote:I'm very excited for Tatum's ascension. He took an incredible leap forward defensively, his handle appears improved, he's finishing at the rim consistently and he is getting scary good at hitting tough jumpers. His court vision and playmaking will improve as he gets more experience under his belt. I'm not ready to call him a superstar until I see his playoff performance, but he is trending in that direction for sure.

Also a quick comment on the comparisons. Tatum tried to model himself after Kobe but right now his game is very Paul George. I think this is awesome on a team where you have 3 other players capable of 20 PPG. I suppose the Pierce comparisons are due to Pierce being the last great Celtic wing, but Tatum doesn't play anything like him.

Finally, you may have forgotten how good Pierce was if you think Tatum as he stands now is better.

I don't know what the stats say, but my eye test says Tatum still has some improving to do. I think he will get there and beyond with more experience.

Excellent post.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#86 » by Ed Pinkney » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:38 am

OK, he is a 21 year old All Star in only his third season who is a plus defender (with All NBA potential) and looks like he can get you 20-30 points a night pretty easily (at an increasing efficiency as the season has progressed). Plus he is a solid rebounder and his passing is improving.

So that is his floor then? That's a pretty good floor.

His ceiling? I think it is very possible in a couple of years he could be one of the best players in the league. And I don't think that is an outrageous statement. Definitely an All NBA player, being one of the six best forwards does not seem like a stretch at all, he could make one the teams this year! And who is a lock to be a better forward than him in five years as he is enters his prime? Giannis? Who else? Not many names jump out as sure things do they, Zion if healthy? Simmons on the right team? Ingram maybe? Jaylen?

Will he reach his ceiling? Well that is a different question to the OP isn't it. I personally think he will go close, he seems coachable and someone who works on his game to get better. I think that along with his talent should get him close to his ceiling.

To be honest, I am a little surprised how often I read posts about him around here that are either overly critical or negative, especially after how well he has been playing for the last month or so.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,247

Post#87 » by djFan71 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:05 am

Kemba For Three wrote:A taller Kobe, IMO.

I was gonna say taller Harden that defends - if he ups his passing. He's already got that little dribble side-step or step back 3. Got a lot of iso in him, by nature. Doesn't have the coach to completely let him run free on that, though. But, really, it's the playmaking that will truly set him apart. Right now, great scorer/defender - kinda an inverse Pippen. Not the defender yet (or ever really, cuz Pippen), but a much better scorer. Add in passing/playmaking and you're looking at easily top 10 player, possibly higher.

As Ed mentions above, I'm talking absolute ceiling, not will he reach it or predictions. Just ceiling.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,704

Post#88 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:18 am

Tatum has, I think, totally transformed his shooting, and we've only vaguely noticed it. The reason that makes any kind of sense is that what he's really transformed is his footwork.

1. The most visible and easy to assess footwork change is how much better he's gotten at finding space on the 3-pt line. Once a guy has space and decent balance, the shots themselves are very repetititive, and so it's straightforward to have a good shot-making rate soon after a footwork change.

2. His shots at the rim are totally different from what they were before (open drives for dunks excepted). The only possible theory I can think of for this difference other than footwork is change of attitude in avoiding vs. welcoming contact, and that doesn't seem like a full explanation. So I think his footwork on drives has changed, even as that's hard to see given the crowds that gather when a guy does drive. I think the point of the footwork change is to make the shots easier, which fits with him hitting more of them.

3. Where things are going less well is in midrange shooting. Getting open for a medium-range jumper with a stepback or whatever isn't very hard, especially if you don't insist that each shot come precisely from the same place on the floor. What's hard is hitting the shot consistently or, alternatively, getting to exactly the same spot(s) on the floor each time and then hitting from one of those. Tatum doesn't seem to have mastered any of that yet, despite a year-plus of trying ... but he does seem to be doing better even in that.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#89 » by Edug27 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:35 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Jaylen is nowhere near the player Butler is. Butler actually plays defense at an elite level rather than Jaylen who flashes against slow white Europeans once every couple of weeks but disappears the rest of the time and has a reputations as a good defender. Butler is also a much better playmaker and can create his own shot whereas Jaylen is almost completely dependent on others to create for him unless he has a huge advantage like when teams throw their worst defenders at him because he's our 5th best player.

Tatum can come close to reaching peak PG13 but I doubt he can eclipse that because he lacks that elite athleticism. Still, that'll make him capable of making all-NBA 2nd team. Not quite good enough to carry a team to a championship but with some help he could be a #1 on a championship team. He's going to be an all-time great Celtic right up there with Russell, Cousy, Hondo, Bird, McHale, and Pierce. I just hope we can keep him here his whole career.

Tatum not athletic enough to be on the level of peak Paul George? Lol. Nonsense.

But anyway.. Jaylen is a better defender than you are giving him credit for. He can definitely get to Jimmys prime level. But I agree with the playmaking. That’s still an area Jaylen is developing in.. and maybe not at quickly as I envisioned coming out of college. But I’d disagree with Jaylen not being able to create his own shot. He’s been displaying that all season. He can get anywhere he wants to on the floor, and he’s starting to learn where his go-to shots are. He can also get to the basket at will, and is a much better finisher than his previous years. Jimmy was a 20, 5 and 3 player at age 25. Jaylen is a 20, 6 and 2 player at age 23. Not to mention Jaylen has a better shot than Jimmy had.

Paul George has a 39" vertical at 6'9" and is a full tier above Tatum (33 vertical) on the athletic scale. Let's agree to keep the discussion in the real world. We can be fans of Tatum without having to promote him into an all NBA athleticism club that Paul George is in. No need for hyperbole.

Jaylen is closer to Kelly Oubre than he is Jimmy Butler but I wouldn't expect to win that argument here so I'll concede.

You missed my whole point. I never compared the 2 as athletes. I’m telling you that Paul George’s vertical didn’t define his game. Tatum can still be as productive a player and on the same level as Indy Paul George without the 39” vertical.

I’ll ignore the Oubre comment.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#90 » by 100proof » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:46 pm

Tracey McGrady.

That's his ceiling IMO. And that is a hell of a ceiling as Tracy was a MVP candidate when healthy, scoring leader, great shooter, could take over and win games single handedly.
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#91 » by 5InOfLouisville » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:40 pm

I have no idea. In my mind, JT is somewhat of a unique player.

He doesn't have explosive athleticism, but his body control and footwork is pretty impressive and continuing to improve, and i am always wowed by his overall "smoothness". He also has a pretty quick first step.

He needs to build strength, as we all saw him get bullied by Aaron Gordon, but, his frame seems to be able to support a little more mass without slowing him down.

But a long 6'8 player with good footwork who can pretty much get his shot off whenever he wants is dangerous. He also has great defensive instincts and affects the game on both ends. He will get better at finishing through contact.

As others have said, playmaking is the next step, in my mind. He can work against a set D and STILL get a decent shot, but can he make the quick pass to the open shooter, or hit the cutter or even make the simple hockey assist pass and keep the ball moving? If so, he will be pretty dominant offensively, as he already commands defensive attention.

I think he's shown flashes of this, but mostly he's looking for his shot and working hard to get it.

So there is some Paul George I suppose, in that he is a smooth 2-way wing, and some Harden in that he can create a decent shot pretty much whenever he wants...maybe some Dirk in his ability to use length and footwork to shoot a deadly j...

but he is none of those guys. He has elements, but ultimately, we can just hope that he is the best Jayson Tatum he can be.

Like I said, I don't know what that is, but top 10 player in the league seems like a very reasonable goal to me now, and perhaps he gets there even sooner than I would have guessed.

I look forward to JT and JB next year. I don't want to look past this year, but I think they each have an additional leap in store.

But I'm starting to believe that JT can be the best player on a championship team, and am optimistic that JB can be strong 3rd option on one, and somewhat hopeful he can be that #2.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#92 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:42 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

PG hasnt been that caliber athlete since he broke his leg, though, so his predraft vert is irrelevant.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 90,036

Post#93 » by zoyathedestroya » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:45 pm

Read on Twitter

Trae Young could win in -- 40 ppg, 10.3 apg, 45.2/43.2/95 splits. ATL went 2-1. But would be cool if Jays won it B2B.
TheMartian
General Manager
And1: 6,293

Post#94 » by TheMartian » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:27 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Trae Young could win in -- 40 ppg, 10.3 apg, 45.2/43.2/95 splits. ATL went 2-1.

Blehh. You know Trae will win it because of the hype around him. Plus I feel JT is underappreciated by non-Celtics fans. But who knows, JB got the nod so why can't JT?
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#95 » by sam_I_am » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:29 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

What is your point? RW is 2 degrees ahead of Tim Duncan on the athletic scale...so what? When you look at impact on winning and production, what Jason Tatum is doing is incredible. Luke Doncic is even less athletic than Tatum....does that make him less of an MVP candidate this year? Hell no.

Eventually he will get the credit for this impact even though much of it went to Irving, Horford and now Kemba. Don’t get me wrong - those guys were and are impactful. When Hayward and Irving came to Boston we were supposed to be contenders but they got hurt. We still were contenders and made the ECF because of Tatum. That team gave Lebron and Cavs a lot more trouble than PG’s Pacers ever did.
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#96 » by Edug27 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:42 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

What is your point? RW is 2 degrees ahead of Tim Duncan on the athletic scale...so what? When you look at impact on winning and production, what Jason Tatum is doing is incredible. Luke Doncic is even less athletic than Tatum....does that make him less of an MVP candidate this year? Hell no.

Eventually he will get the credit for this impact even though much of it went to Irving, Horford and now Kemba. Don’t get me wrong - those guys were and are impactful. When Hayward and Irving came to Boston we were supposed to be contenders but they got hurt. We still were contenders and made the ECF because of Tatum. That team gave Lebron and Cavs a lot more trouble than PG’s Pacers ever did.

Exactly. PG doesn't play like Shawn Kemp. His game isn't defined by his vertical. His style is very similar to that of Tatums. Tatum can be just as productive as prime PG, while playing an extremely similar style of play.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#97 » by sam_I_am » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:49 pm

exculpatory wrote:
floyd wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
The comparison to Pierce I would make is this: Tatum is already a lot better than Pierce was at age 21. Nobody loved Pierce as a player early in his career more than me, so I don’t say this lightly. I think of peak Paul Pierce as his floor and he has already nearly reached that stage.

It’s not all ability though so we’ll just have to see. He wasn’t a perfect player but Pierce was one of the toughest and most competitive guys I’ve ever seen. And he really evolved his game over time.

He became a better passer, was our best rebounder at times, and was a tenacious defender when called for. He really would do whatever was needed
the best he could (excluding a few ugly seasons when we sucked and he sulked).

I like Tatum a lot but I need to see him in some more wars and be more consistent before I can say “Pierce is his floor”. Talent is there no question.

THIS!
Sam’s comment at this point in JT’s evolution is patently absurd.

I appreciate your love for Paul which I admit exceeds even mine. It’s just that Pierce was 30 when he joined with KG and finally had the type of success that Tatum at age 21 has lead for 3 years in a row. His defensive impact which is hugely underrated has been enormous this year. His on/off court differential would make Pierce green with envy. Gordon, Brown and Kemba have missed games, Al and Irving are gone. The constant behind the winning over the past 3 years is Tatum and he is having a much much bigger impact in his first 3 years than an older Pierce did I his first 3 years and he is statistically superior as well.

And to be clear, I said nearly there. He’s not there yet but closing in fast.

One more thing, Pierce was a Celtics rookie at age 21 until he turned 22 in October. Curmudgeon....you are wrong about Pierce once again.

Tatum vs. Pierce step back jumper. You be the judge:

exculpatory
RealGM

Post#98 » by exculpatory » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:03 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
exculpatory wrote:
floyd wrote:

It’s not all ability though so we’ll just have to see. He wasn’t a perfect player but Pierce was one of the toughest and most competitive guys I’ve ever seen. And he really evolved his game over time.

He became a better passer, was our best rebounder at times, and was a tenacious defender when called for. He really would do whatever was needed
the best he could (excluding a few ugly seasons when we sucked and he sulked).

I like Tatum a lot but I need to see him in some more wars and be more consistent before I can say “Pierce is his floor”. Talent is there no question.

THIS!
Sam’s comment at this point in JT’s evolution is patently absurd.

I appreciate your love for Paul which I admit exceeds even mine. It’s just that Pierce was 30 when he joined with KG and finally had the type of success that Tatum at age 21 has lead for 3 years in a row. His defensive impact which is hugely underrated has been enormous this year. His on/off court differential would make Pierce green with envy. Gordon, Brown and Kemba have missed games, Al and Irving are gone. The constant behind the winning over the past 3 years is Tatum and he is having a much much bigger impact in his first 3 years than an older Pierce did I his first 3 years and he is statistically superior as well.

And to be clear, I said nearly there. He’s not there yet but closing in fast.

One more thing, Pierce was a Celtics rookie at age 21 until he turned 22 in October. Curmudgeon....you are wrong about Pierce once again.

As I mentioned in my post #10,000 earlier in this thread, when all is said & done multiple years from now, we may conclude that JT has exceeded Paul’s excellence. And I will root for that. But I need to see a bunch more over the next few years in the RS AND the POs to make that judgment. I will be looking for long term consistency day in day out, # of FTs/game, finishing through contact, playmaking & elimination of brain dead TOs which can lose games (see the last 90 seconds of last night’s game). Regardless, we are observing the rapid evolution of a Super Star.

PS It would be nice if you replied to my PMs.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#99 » by sully00 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:36 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Edug27 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Just a reality check.
Jayson Tatum is an All Star at 21 in his 3rd season putting up 22/7. In 28 playoff games all as a starter he is 16-12.

Paul George didn't reach that level until his 4th season at 22 years old, though he was an All Star at 21. He has gone 34-42 in 9 seasons.

Jimmy Butler was 22 years old when he was drafted into the NBA at the end of the 1st round. He was 24 before he avg double figures. The year after he emerged as a 20ppg All Star his team went from 50 wins to .500. He has played in 55 playoff games (52 as a starter) and has a 22-33 record in 8 seasons

Jaylen Brown was drafted at 20, avg double figures at 21 and 20 ppg at 23. Has not gotten that All Star nod but has played in 44 playoff games, 24 as a starter and his team has gone 23-21 in 3 seasons.

I can't follow your logic on this at all. Vertical leap? From when and where and really that matters more? I am going to lean on who wins the game.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Jayson+Tatum&player_id1_select=Jayson+Tatum&player_id1=tatumja01&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Paul+George&player_id2_select=Paul+George&player_id2=georgpa01&idx=players

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/h2h_finder.cgi?request=1&player_id1_hint=Jaylen+Brown&player_id1_select=Jaylen+Brown&player_id1=brownja02&idx=players&player_id2_hint=Jimmy+Butler&player_id2_select=Jimmy+Butler&player_id2=butleji01&idx=players
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#100 » by ddb » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:50 pm

Tatum will be a Top 10 Player during his prime years. he's a 2 way player. he'll make 10X's all-star. a few All-NBA. He'll be in MVP voting a few times although long-shot that he ever wins it. And I believe the Celtics will win at least 2 titles during his career.

Return to Boston Celtics