ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 24,822
And1: 11,669
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1281 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:57 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Well my #1 is Killian Hayes. One mock has him sliding that far but obviously it's a longshot. That said, I've been all over the place but I keep coming back to Cole Anthony. The kid is a shotmaker deluxe. He already scores at all 3 levels. Handle is pretty good. Solidly built. Not afraid to get in the paint and rebound. Very comfortable coming off screens without the ball. I think he's a better playmaker than what we saw at UNC. Plays with a ton of swag and a ton of confidence. Competes defensively too. His upside in my opinion is high enough to be worth taking him at 14 if he gets there.


I would not be a fan of Cole Anthony. Even if your player assessment is dead on, I still see another ball needy player, Like T Rozier was, who doesn't excel at making teammates better. I believe his mentality might kill the chemistry that Boston has/are developing. Give me a really good 3+D player who can make shots > a PG with our current roster makeup.. that and his shooting pcts weren't too impressive at UNC as well.


that guy, Rozier, who doesn't make his teammates better, led a very young team to Game 7 of the ECF, and had such a detrimental effect on Graham that he was in the Most Improved Player discussion and was on the bubble to be an all-star. I seriously have no idea why this sub turned on Rozier. All he did in CHA was put up 18-4-4 while shooting 41% from thee with solid D. Yet all I hear on here is he was overpaid and good riddance.


Oh, you're a Reddit user?

Now your posting style makes more sense.
playa-hater
Sophomore
Posts: 151
And1: 133
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1282 » by playa-hater » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:41 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:speaking of talent, I have Precious as a top 10 maybe even a top 5 talent, IF he has a legit jump shot. At this time I don't think he has.. Today's game is so much about shooting.. If he has a jumper with all the rest of his assets, he would e my top choice for Boston


If we drafted Precious he would become potentially the 6th big on this roster not including Grant who sometimes masquerades as a big so I'm gonna ask you to put your GM hat on for a second. What decisions do you make with Precious and the rest of the bigs on the roster if this happens? Who stays? Who leaves (if anyone)? Who starts, backs up, deep bench?


Ok lets give it a try..

Kanter and Vincent P should be gone.. Theis I believe is a FA, obviously Boston wants to retain him. But what type of contract will he get offered? R Williams is limited But I love the things he does a lot. Will Tacko ever get a chance in this league's small ball style? an Grant Williams is 6'6.. I don't even considered that a BIG.

So there some factors that need to be worked through this offseason.

Meanwhile you don't pass on a player/talent because who have others at a similar position. You take the best talent+Fit possible always..whether Precious is that player, I don't know... But his talent does say that he gets a damn good look at..
playa-hater
Sophomore
Posts: 151
And1: 133
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1283 » by playa-hater » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:44 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
that guy, Rozier, who doesn't make his teammates better, led a very young team to Game 7 of the ECF, and had such a detrimental effect on Graham that he was in the Most Improved Player discussion and was on the bubble to be an all-star. I seriously have no idea why this sub turned on Rozier. All he did in CHA was put up 18-4-4 while shooting 41% from thee with solid D. Yet all I hear on here is he was overpaid and good riddance.


wow, I guess you didn't hear all the things he said before and after the season.. Not to mention watching the games last year he was playing all-out hero ball. You say Brown doesn't have a High IQ, what about Rozier??


what does that have to do with the unassailable fact that he has shown to make players around him better?
And there was definitely locker room issues last year but that's on Brad who can't seem to manage tough personalities. I thought it was pretty well chronicled that it was mostly Kyrie stirring the pot anyway. After all, if Rozier was such a problem child, why did it take until last season for it to rear its head? Rozier was trying to carve out a role for himself and likely felt he needed to in order to showcase for his next contract which he quite successfully did. His comments have been completely overblown.

I agree, Rozier, like Brown, does not have very high IQ on the court. He was often very frustrating. But so isn't everyone on this team including Tatum. They're all young and still developing. I just don't understand why he's so hated with how much he accomplished here. It just seems like the majority of posters were happy to see him go and didn't respect or appreciate what he brought to the table.


how the hell did he make his teammates better? he doesn't pass well. create much for others? he was a solid defender, strong finisher who didn't shoot well but had a knock for making big shots..
bucknersrevenge
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,904
And1: 5,627
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Philly
Contact:
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1284 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:47 pm

playa-hater wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:speaking of talent, I have Precious as a top 10 maybe even a top 5 talent, IF he has a legit jump shot. At this time I don't think he has.. Today's game is so much about shooting.. If he has a jumper with all the rest of his assets, he would e my top choice for Boston


If we drafted Precious he would become potentially the 6th big on this roster not including Grant who sometimes masquerades as a big so I'm gonna ask you to put your GM hat on for a second. What decisions do you make with Precious and the rest of the bigs on the roster if this happens? Who stays? Who leaves (if anyone)? Who starts, backs up, deep bench?


Ok lets give it a try..

Kanter and Vincent P should be gone.. Theis I believe is a FA, obviously Boston wants to retain him. But what type of contract will he get offered? R Williams is limited But I love the things he does a lot. Will Tacko ever get a chance in this league's small ball style? an Grant Williams is 6'6.. I don't even considered that a BIG.

So there some factors that need to be worked through this offseason.

Meanwhile you don't pass on a player/talent because who have others at a similar position. You take the best talent+Fit possible always..whether Precious is that player, I don't know... But his talent does say that he gets a damn good look at..


Kanter has a PO for 5M and Theis is non-Guaranteed for 5M. I'd think we pick up Theis' option while Kanter might opt in unless Brad tells him he will get less run next year. Vincent has 1 more year bnext year. I'm just saying that it's not as simple as saying Vince and Kanter are gone. But you don't have to worry about making a big commitment to Theis next year if you don't want to. Do you let Tacko go? Do you let Theis go and start TimeLord? Your comment about talent vs position is well noted and part of the reason I like Cole at 14. FWIW, I think Precious goes earlier than 14 but who knows?
I am the self-appointed RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. We go big or we go home!! Bold moves require BOLD PREDICTIONS baby!!! Tacko WILL pass TimeLord on the depth chart by the end of next season. You heard it here first!
Squigglepuffin
Junior
Posts: 327
And1: 225
Joined: Jan 13, 2014

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1285 » by Squigglepuffin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:50 pm

Cole Anthony is a late first rounder at best. Personally, if I had no choice and was forced to pick him I would use a second rounder.

Cole Anthony will be a bust. I will laugh if a team chooses him in the lottery (unless it's the Celtics) because that is waste of a lottery pick. It's always surprising seeing teams pour millions of dollars into preparing for the draft only to see some of them make a decision (sometimes year after year) that even in the moment it happens are SO clearly terrible (Eg: Hezonja, Bender, Dunn, Kendall Marshall, and James Young are some of my favs).

Unless Cole Anthony does his best impression of the superhero Shazam - changing into someone completely and utterly unrecognizable - he will be a bust. He could turn out to be as good a player as Austin Rivers, but Austin Rivers is a bust imo. To be fair Obi "Derrick Williams" Toppin is also severely overhyped and will also be a bust.
bucknersrevenge
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,904
And1: 5,627
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Philly
Contact:
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1286 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:03 pm

Squigglepuffin wrote:Cole Anthony is a late first rounder at best. Personally, if I had no choice and was forced to pick him I would use a second rounder.

Cole Anthony will be a bust. I will laugh if a team chooses him in the lottery (unless it's the Celtics) because that is waste of a lottery pick. It's always surprising seeing teams pour millions of dollars into preparing for the draft only to see some of them make a decision (sometimes year after year) that even in the moment it happens are SO clearly terrible (Eg: Hezonja, Bender, Dunn, Kendall Marshall, and James Young are some of my favs).

Unless Cole Anthony does his best impression of the superhero Shazam - changing into someone completely and utterly unrecognizable - he will be a bust. He could turn out to be as good a player as Austin Rivers, but Austin Rivers is a bust imo. To be fair Obi "Derrick Williams" Toppin is also severely overhyped and will also be a bust.


Cole Anthony will not be there in the 2nd round. But since you invoked the term, what is your definition and the criteria for "bust" status just so I understand your thinking here.
I am the self-appointed RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. We go big or we go home!! Bold moves require BOLD PREDICTIONS baby!!! Tacko WILL pass TimeLord on the depth chart by the end of next season. You heard it here first!
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,343
And1: 8,274
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1287 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:27 pm

Cole Anthony looks like he has plenty of athleticism and the work ethic to ensure he isn't a bust. I feel like if one of the major downsides with a player is his shot selection, then a good coaching and development program is going to cure that. He has a really good, quick shot, decent length and athleticism. Probably not a real PG, but who cares, Celtics don't need or want a real PG initiating every possession.

Could be elite off-ball. He was on a terrible UNC team with no shooting or outside threat last year. Peep his off the bounce shot, he'll be a killer capable of getting his shot off anytime he wants it. Really good handle, great in transition. Hard to see bust, especially if he's there at 14, unless you mean by injury.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
100proof
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,611
And1: 860
Joined: Jul 25, 2019
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1288 » by 100proof » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:50 pm

Mike miller stated today that RJ Hampton will be a multi time allstar once he gets his 3pt average up

And he has no reason to believe he wont
Squigglepuffin
Junior
Posts: 327
And1: 225
Joined: Jan 13, 2014

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1289 » by Squigglepuffin » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:12 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:Cole Anthony is a late first rounder at best. Personally, if I had no choice and was forced to pick him I would use a second rounder.

Cole Anthony will be a bust. I will laugh if a team chooses him in the lottery (unless it's the Celtics) because that is waste of a lottery pick. It's always surprising seeing teams pour millions of dollars into preparing for the draft only to see some of them make a decision (sometimes year after year) that even in the moment it happens are SO clearly terrible (Eg: Hezonja, Bender, Dunn, Kendall Marshall, and James Young are some of my favs).

Unless Cole Anthony does his best impression of the superhero Shazam - changing into someone completely and utterly unrecognizable - he will be a bust. He could turn out to be as good a player as Austin Rivers, but Austin Rivers is a bust imo. To be fair Obi "Derrick Williams" Toppin is also severely overhyped and will also be a bust.


Cole Anthony will not be there in the 2nd round. But since you invoked the term, what is your definition and the criteria for "bust" status just so I understand your thinking here.


I think "bust" can be used to refer to someone who fails to live up to the hype, someone who fails to perform at a level that justifies the position they were drafted in. More generally it obviously can also be used for anyone that drops out of the league and has to play overseas because no NBA team wants them.

Players that are busts for one or both of these reasons:

James Young, Gershon Yabuselle, JuJuan Johnson, Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo (R.I.P)...
Alex Len, Austin Rivers, Nerlens Noel, Dante Exum, Trey Burke, Shabazz Muhammad, Noah Vonleh, Jahlil Okafor, Doug McDermott, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, Kaminsky, Cauley-Stein, Thon Maker, Trey Lyles, Jakob Poltl, Henry Ellenson, Josh Jackson, Dennis Smith Jr.

I know there are a lot of players that I haven't mentioned but it's either because an argument can be made they aren't busts, or I just can't be bothered.

Is E'Twuan Moore a bust? No. He's a solid player who in a redraft I would take at the very end of the first round, early second round, but then even if Jimmy Butler is still on the board, yes I would obviously be unhappy we took Moore instead, but Moore still wouldn't be a bust.

Generally I personally don't really use it to refer to guys selected in the second round. So technically, because he isn't in the league anymore Jordan Mickey is a bust, however I wouldn't refer to him as a bust since he was a second rounder.

If he doesn't "Shazam" it Cole Anthony in a redraft in five years could go in the 15-30 range, but only because this draft is probably the weakest draft of at least the past ten years. But even if this turns out to be true, the real question is would be justify a first round contract and the salary attached to the spot he was drafted in?

Spots 25-30 should be reserved for selecting players you aren't sure a going to be in the league in five years, players you aren't heartbroken over if another team selects them.

The one upside Anthony has is I believe his father said something to the effect of "Cole played really bad a UNC." So at least he''s got someone in his corner that has probably told him he sucked at UNC and needs to dramatically, dramatically improve to have a real impact in the NBA.
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,343
And1: 8,274
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1290 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:44 pm

Cole Anthony is like a 14-20 pick in almost every mock draft. You expect to get a role player on a good year at that spot. I don't even understand what he has to dramatically improve. He's a great shooter with a great handle and a very good team defender. All things that are likely to transfer to the NBA.

I would be over the moon to get a bust like Jared Sullinger at pick 21 every year.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
playa-hater
Sophomore
Posts: 151
And1: 133
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1291 » by playa-hater » Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:56 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
If we drafted Precious he would become potentially the 6th big on this roster not including Grant who sometimes masquerades as a big so I'm gonna ask you to put your GM hat on for a second. What decisions do you make with Precious and the rest of the bigs on the roster if this happens? Who stays? Who leaves (if anyone)? Who starts, backs up, deep bench?


Ok lets give it a try..

Kanter and Vincent P should be gone.. Theis I believe is a FA, obviously Boston wants to retain him. But what type of contract will he get offered? R Williams is limited But I love the things he does a lot. Will Tacko ever get a chance in this league's small ball style? an Grant Williams is 6'6.. I don't even considered that a BIG.

So there some factors that need to be worked through this offseason.

Meanwhile you don't pass on a player/talent because who have others at a similar position. You take the best talent+Fit possible always..whether Precious is that player, I don't know... But his talent does say that he gets a damn good look at..


Kanter has a PO for 5M and Theis is non-Guaranteed for 5M. I'd think we pick up Theis' option while Kanter might opt in unless Brad tells him he will get less run next year. Vincent has 1 more year next year. I'm just saying that it's not as simple as saying Vince and Kanter are gone. But you don't have to worry about making a big commitment to Theis next year if you don't want to. Do you let [b]Tacko go?[/b] Do you let Theis go and start TimeLord? Your comment about talent vs position is well noted and part of the reason I like Cole at 14. FWIW, I think Precious goes earlier than 14 but who knows?


I could be wrong but I thought Vincent's contract wasn't guaranteed, No way Boston let's Theis go, they love him..Theis remains a starter IMO and R Williams gets extended playtime. Precious, can play defense against anyone of the front court positions and may be a Johnathan Isaac type of talent. But again I ask, can he shoot well enough? If not , then I am not really interested.

I have seen enough of what teams are doing to stop Tatum and /or Walker. They are trapping and daring someone else to shoot the ball. So IF Cole turns out to be a Really good knock down shooter/ play-maker, then I will be all for him. and Kemba won't last forever.. So maybe you're right and I should really be happy with Cole.. Meanwhile my original 3 of Vassell, NeSmith, Bey, and even extremely young and talented Pat Williams/Precious will be on my hope/radar, with a good understanding that maybe Cole will be the right pick after all.

as far as Tacko, my heart wants him 100% my mind says it will be hard to retain him.. hoping Ainge can figure that out.
playa-hater
Sophomore
Posts: 151
And1: 133
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1292 » by playa-hater » Sat Sep 12, 2020 1:03 am

*a side note. I want Boston to keep their 14th pick as I see some good value/talent there. I also wish Boston can try to consolidate their 26,30 and 2nd rder plus one of their recent picks (edwards?) and move up to the teens and get another talent that they really like. we/Boston doesn't need more quantity, we need more quality.
bucknersrevenge
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,904
And1: 5,627
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Philly
Contact:
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1293 » by bucknersrevenge » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:37 am

Squigglepuffin wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:Cole Anthony is a late first rounder at best. Personally, if I had no choice and was forced to pick him I would use a second rounder.

Cole Anthony will be a bust. I will laugh if a team chooses him in the lottery (unless it's the Celtics) because that is waste of a lottery pick. It's always surprising seeing teams pour millions of dollars into preparing for the draft only to see some of them make a decision (sometimes year after year) that even in the moment it happens are SO clearly terrible (Eg: Hezonja, Bender, Dunn, Kendall Marshall, and James Young are some of my favs).

Unless Cole Anthony does his best impression of the superhero Shazam - changing into someone completely and utterly unrecognizable - he will be a bust. He could turn out to be as good a player as Austin Rivers, but Austin Rivers is a bust imo. To be fair Obi "Derrick Williams" Toppin is also severely overhyped and will also be a bust.


Cole Anthony will not be there in the 2nd round. But since you invoked the term, what is your definition and the criteria for "bust" status just so I understand your thinking here.


I think "bust" can be used to refer to someone who fails to live up to the hype, someone who fails to perform at a level that justifies the position they were drafted in. More generally it obviously can also be used for anyone that drops out of the league and has to play overseas because no NBA team wants them.

Players that are busts for one or both of these reasons:

James Young, Gershon Yabuselle, JuJuan Johnson, Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo (R.I.P)...
Alex Len, Austin Rivers, Nerlens Noel, Dante Exum, Trey Burke, Shabazz Muhammad, Noah Vonleh, Jahlil Okafor, Doug McDermott, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, Kaminsky, Cauley-Stein, Thon Maker, Trey Lyles, Jakob Poltl, Henry Ellenson, Josh Jackson, Dennis Smith Jr.

I know there are a lot of players that I haven't mentioned but it's either because an argument can be made they aren't busts, or I just can't be bothered.

Is E'Twuan Moore a bust? No. He's a solid player who in a redraft I would take at the very end of the first round, early second round, but then even if Jimmy Butler is still on the board, yes I would obviously be unhappy we took Moore instead, but Moore still wouldn't be a bust.

Generally I personally don't really use it to refer to guys selected in the second round. So technically, because he isn't in the league anymore Jordan Mickey is a bust, however I wouldn't refer to him as a bust since he was a second rounder.

If he doesn't "Shazam" it Cole Anthony in a redraft in five years could go in the 15-30 range, but only because this draft is probably the weakest draft of at least the past ten years. But even if this turns out to be true, the real question is would be justify a first round contract and the salary attached to the spot he was drafted in?

Spots 25-30 should be reserved for selecting players you aren't sure a going to be in the league in five years, players you aren't heartbroken over if another team selects them.

The one upside Anthony has is I believe his father said something to the effect of "Cole played really bad a UNC." So at least he''s got someone in his corner that has probably told him he sucked at UNC and needs to dramatically, dramatically improve to have a real impact in the NBA.



Okay so your definition is extremely liberal and can apply to players anywhere from out of the league to players in their 3rd or 4th year. So basically highly subjective. I don't think I'll be effective arguing Anthony won't be a bust in this discussion because there way too many subjective variables in your definition. I'll just say I like Anthony at 14 and leave it there.
I am the self-appointed RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. We go big or we go home!! Bold moves require BOLD PREDICTIONS baby!!! Tacko WILL pass TimeLord on the depth chart by the end of next season. You heard it here first!
playa-hater
Sophomore
Posts: 151
And1: 133
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1294 » by playa-hater » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:25 am

well if Tonight's game 7 was any indication, Tor dared Boston players other players not name walker and Tatum to shoot 3s, many from the baseline.. results Brown 1-7, Smart 2-10, the bench 1-5.. and even Kemba was only 1-7..

so again I will declare, whomever Boston takes at 14 needs to be at or near best shooter available..(that can also defend of course)
snowman
Pro Prospect
Posts: 956
And1: 612
Joined: Jun 08, 2009
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1295 » by snowman » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:39 am

I say it one more time. We need another wing because we don't know what we will get from Hayward next year. We just had a game 7 in which our bench scored a total of 7 points. We need another 3 point wing shooter, and I believe Saddiq Bey should be the pick. Wing shooter at 14.

I think we need a PG at 26, because behind Smart we have a 31+ year old and a 5'11 guy. Not a lot of faith in either. BPA is the rule there. If Cole Anthony is there at 26, (he won't be) fine.

We can take a big at 30, but I don't think we have room for another big. Theis is a keeper, now if he could ever just get a frigging call go his way. We will def. pick up his option. R. Williams has come a long way this season and should get a ton more minutes next year. Kanter will pick up his option, and G. Williams has done great this year. Brad has so much faith in him he was in at crunch time in a game 7. I hate it, but Semi will probably be back too. And we still have Poirier under contract and Tacko waiting to take his place. Trades are going to be hard to make this off season with the cap hell everyone is going to be in.
playa-hater
Sophomore
Posts: 151
And1: 133
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1296 » by playa-hater » Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:59 am

snowman wrote:I say it one more time. We need another wing because we don't know what we will get from Hayward next year. We just had a game 7 in which our bench scored a total of 7 points. We need another 3 point wing shooter, and I believe Saddiq Bey should be the pick. Wing shooter at 14.

I think we need a PG at 26, because behind Smart we have a 31+ year old and a 5'11 guy. Not a lot of faith in either. BPA is the rule there. If Cole Anthony is there at 26, (he won't be) fine.

We can take a big at 30, but I don't think we have room for another big. Theis is a keeper, now if he could ever just get a frigging call go his way. We will def. pick up his option. R. Williams has come a long way this season and should get a ton more minutes next year. Kanter will pick up his option, and G. Williams has done great this year. Brad has so much faith in him he was in at crunch time in a game 7. I hate it, but Semi will probably be back too. And we still have Poirier under contract and Tacko waiting to take his place. Trades are going to be hard to make this off season with the cap hell everyone is going to be in.


I agree with most of what you say, I also have Bey in my top 3 at 14.. Though we need a backup plan if he is off the board.

while I also agree about the PG points you made. I don't want to force a pick at 26 if a good one isn't there. ut I also suggested we package 26+30 and evn 2nd rder to get back into the teens and pickup one of the better prospects, which may end up being a PG..

Cole Anthony, K Lewis, Maledon, Hampton maybe..
joshuapending
Sophomore
Posts: 227
And1: 65
Joined: Feb 11, 2010

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1297 » by joshuapending » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:44 am

100proof wrote:Mike miller stated today that RJ Hampton will be a multi time allstar once he gets his 3pt average up

And he has no reason to believe he wont

Watched him all year and i'm pretty confident he wont be. He has nice size and cant get to the ring but he was not blowing players away here, so i'm sceptical he will be an impact player at the next level.
Duke4life831
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 22,738
And1: 37,274
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1298 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:19 am

I wouldnt go guard with the 14th pick. Too many solid wings to choose from at that time, while there should still be solid backup PG guys late in the 1st.

14th: Precious, Bey, Nesmith

Either one of those 3 would be really solid fits. Then with the later 2 picks I would be looking at

Tre Jones or Nico Mannion for backup PG. Either one of those guys would ideal backups for your guys system. I can also see Josh Green and Cassius Stanley as a Danny Ainge type pick. Both guys are raw top tier athletes, Green is the better day 1 defender while Stanley is the better day 1 shooter. Another guy I would look at late in the 1st is Jalen Smith. He was pretty much the college version of Daniel Theis last year. 6'10 shot blocker with potential with his 3pt shot.

I dont think Cole Anthony or RJ makes much sense. When it comes to small shoot first PG like Cole, you guys picked that up last year with Carsen Edwards. Scoring 2 guard like RJ, you guys picked that up last year with Romeo.
Squigglepuffin
Junior
Posts: 327
And1: 225
Joined: Jan 13, 2014

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1299 » by Squigglepuffin » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:42 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Cole Anthony will not be there in the 2nd round. But since you invoked the term, what is your definition and the criteria for "bust" status just so I understand your thinking here.


I think "bust" can be used to refer to someone who fails to live up to the hype, someone who fails to perform at a level that justifies the position they were drafted in. More generally it obviously can also be used for anyone that drops out of the league and has to play overseas because no NBA team wants them.

Players that are busts for one or both of these reasons:

James Young, Gershon Yabuselle, JuJuan Johnson, Jared Sullinger, Fab Melo (R.I.P)...
Alex Len, Austin Rivers, Nerlens Noel, Dante Exum, Trey Burke, Shabazz Muhammad, Noah Vonleh, Jahlil Okafor, Doug McDermott, Mudiay, Stanley Johnson, Kaminsky, Cauley-Stein, Thon Maker, Trey Lyles, Jakob Poltl, Henry Ellenson, Josh Jackson, Dennis Smith Jr.

I know there are a lot of players that I haven't mentioned but it's either because an argument can be made they aren't busts, or I just can't be bothered.

Is E'Twuan Moore a bust? No. He's a solid player who in a redraft I would take at the very end of the first round, early second round, but then even if Jimmy Butler is still on the board, yes I would obviously be unhappy we took Moore instead, but Moore still wouldn't be a bust.

Generally I personally don't really use it to refer to guys selected in the second round. So technically, because he isn't in the league anymore Jordan Mickey is a bust, however I wouldn't refer to him as a bust since he was a second rounder.

If he doesn't "Shazam" it Cole Anthony in a redraft in five years could go in the 15-30 range, but only because this draft is probably the weakest draft of at least the past ten years. But even if this turns out to be true, the real question is would be justify a first round contract and the salary attached to the spot he was drafted in?

Spots 25-30 should be reserved for selecting players you aren't sure a going to be in the league in five years, players you aren't heartbroken over if another team selects them.

The one upside Anthony has is I believe his father said something to the effect of "Cole played really bad a UNC." So at least he''s got someone in his corner that has probably told him he sucked at UNC and needs to dramatically, dramatically improve to have a real impact in the NBA.



Okay so your definition is extremely liberal and can apply to players anywhere from out of the league to players in their 3rd or 4th year. So basically highly subjective. I don't think I'll be effective arguing Anthony won't be a bust in this discussion because there way too many subjective variables in your definition. I'll just say I like Anthony at 14 and leave it there.


14?

You have the numbers back to front.

If we had the 41st pick I'd probably be okay with selecting him at 41.

I'm being serious.
winsomme2
Senior
Posts: 551
And1: 231
Joined: Jun 12, 2013

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1300 » by winsomme2 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:22 am

Duke4life831 wrote:I wouldnt go guard with the 14th pick. Too many solid wings to choose from at that time, while there should still be solid backup PG guys late in the 1st.

14th: Precious, Bey, Nesmith

Either one of those 3 would be really solid fits. Then with the later 2 picks I would be looking at

Tre Jones or Nico Mannion for backup PG. Either one of those guys would ideal backups for your guys system. I can also see Josh Green and Cassius Stanley as a Danny Ainge type pick. Both guys are raw top tier athletes, Green is the better day 1 defender while Stanley is the better day 1 shooter. Another guy I would look at late in the 1st is Jalen Smith. He was pretty much the college version of Daniel Theis last year. 6'10 shot blocker with potential with his 3pt shot.

I dont think Cole Anthony or RJ makes much sense. When it comes to small shoot first PG like Cole, you guys picked that up last year with Carsen Edwards. Scoring 2 guard like RJ, you guys picked that up last year with Romeo.


I feel like I keep getting sucked down that rabbit hole because I agree that this draft is loaded with intriguing PGs. So many that I really like.

BUT the wings available seem like they will have lower ceilings.Ugh. I guess it's a good problem to have because Danny has lots of options at this point.

We clearly have a need for a big wing who can shoot from deep. We also need someone really physical in the middle. I like all three of the guys you mentioned and as I said get very easily seduced by thinking about all of our first round picks together...meaning getting wing, a big, and PG with 14, 26, 30...like a package deal.

HOWEVER, I'm starting to think that we need to only look at 14 because that is the pick where we are most able to get an all-star level talent.

And thinking like that, I'm currently very excited about Kira Lewis and Patrick Williams.

The more I watch Kira, the more I see a special player. He floats out there. I think he's going to be a tremendous pro.I'm just feeling really high on him right now.

I know it's not our biggest need, and I know there are a ton of PGs in this draft. But I think Kira is a star. And he seems like he would fit right in with our team and system.

Return to Boston Celtics