ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

chrisab123
RealGM
And1: 9,303

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1381 » by chrisab123 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:18 am

this is going to be a weird draft which will result in more of a crap shoot than usual. I don't think there's any chance Boston can get Ball or Wiseman without moving up but we'll see.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#1382 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:31 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:I know Tatum's report and he was considered average but not bad. They had concerns about his potential one on one agility (which has proven true)

And now he’s a fringe all-defense team wing; sounds like we agree that he’s developed immensely.

Langford was considered a good defender, see his ESPN (draftexpress) profile and that was one of his pluses as well as being considered a potential stud defensively thanks to his ideal wing body on top of the good defense he's shown in college. Not Smart where he does it every game but on and off and flashes of studly defensiveness.

https://www.thestepien.com/2019/06/18/romeo-langford-scouting-report/

He was considered slightly above average and has been a pleasant surprise in this regard. He’s flashed being a very good defender and I’m confident he’ll get there.

Brown was considered a good defender

He is now a fringe all-defense caliber wing; sounds like we agree that he’s developed quite a bit since entering the league.

Smart I don't have to speak here

Nor do I; he was an elite defensive prospect who was a good defender from day one and developed into the best defensive guard in the NBA.

Olynyk was bad and still is bad. **** Kelly.

Through positioning and relatively quick feet for a 7 footer, he actually graded out slightly above average here.

Semi?

Projected to become a good defender, entered the league playing ~average and has since developed into a very good defender.

Again Ainge almost never drafts bad defenders. It has probably cost us hitting on studs like Herro often. But he doesn't draft guys who are duds on defense.

A) Herro went before Langford and from all accounts was whom we wanted.

B) were saying different things. Ainge drafts guys who are:

-strong
-work their asses off
-have projectable defensive tools

That does not guarantee the player becomes a good defender though; Stevens absolutely helps all of these draft picks actualize whatever potential they have in this regard.

He DOES draft players that suck shooting a 3

TATUM - can't hit a 3 scouting profile
Brown - doesn't even know what hitting a 3 looks like
Smart - can't hit a 3 to save his life
Semi - can't hit a 3
Romeo - knowns how to hit only 30% of his 3s in college and looks horrible there

Kelly is the ultimate counter to all of Ainge's picks hahah. He's the one guy that CAN'T play defense and can hit a 3 haha. **** I hate Kelly haha.

No, he drafts dudes who have projectable traits and are hard workers. Tatum shot 85% from the line, Brown shot in the upper 30’s from 3 in HS on like 800 attempts, Smart shot in the mid 70’s from the line, as did Semi and Romeo. All flashed indicators that they’d develop in this regard.

Its why I think we’re gonna draft Maxey— 83% FT shooter, 35% from 3 on 600 attempts in HS and is Reportedly a very hard worker. Also tries real hard defensively.

This is in no way an indictment on Stevens developing defenders. Just Ainge has never drafted a bad defender or only does rarely. Stevens hasn't had a chance to transform a complete **** defender to a great one as a prospect.

Stevens is batting nearly 1.000 in actualizing dudes defensive potential.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#1383 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:53 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

Its why I think we’re gonna draft Maxey— 83% FT shooter, 35% from 3 on 600 attempts in HS and is Reportedly a very hard worker. Also tries real hard defensively.

This is in no way an indictment on Stevens developing defenders. Just Ainge has never drafted a bad defender or only does rarely. Stevens hasn't had a chance to transform a complete **** defender to a great one as a prospect.

Stevens is batting nearly 1.000 in actualizing dudes defensive potential.

Yeah looking at Maxey he fits your typical Ainge guard. And this year more than other drats outside of like the top 3 any player could be available at any pick (Ringer has Maxey just outside of top 10 in overall prospect ratings but going 21 to the Nets).

Strengths are defense, looks like his profile says despite a little lower than normal numbers he has all the calling cards of a great shooter "Shot only 32 percent on jumpers, but his compact form, soft touch, and high percentage from the line bodes well for his future as a shooter."

Physical profile is he's big enough to guard PGs with a 6'6" wingspan and 198 lbs.

He just kind of seem like what we've drafted 100 of before.

That said on The Ringer for his profile it also has him with Shades of: Carsen Edwards

Do you think there is ever a time we don't draft the exact same type of player over and over again?

I'd love to see us get someone who is a playmaker and can drive to the basket just to get the defense rotation and circle it out and then probe again.

Or someone who can fill that Eddie House, Kyle Kover, Herro row off the bench that we can put in when we're having trouble scoring.

And of course I mean I think every team would love someone who is a Jae Crowder 3 and D kinda PF/SF for modern basketball. We tried really hard for years for Semi to hit that shot and he never did get it. If he did he'd be tremendous.

I just... with this being our LAST draft with a lot of swings of the bat in the draft. With Tatum ascending to being a primary playmaker in an offense kind of level guy. I'd just love for us to draft someone to start filling these roles in the rotation that we have.

And yes Kelly 0 is effective on offense and defense sadly. Very effective. But I hate him so I refuse to give him credit for how good he is hahaha. But yeah someone who isn't Kelly 0 that has his skill set and a little more heart would be a HUGE boost for this team... again if we're having trouble scoring or we're facing another Nurse situation and they figure something out using say a zone being able to have a 3 point Center who is big enough to not give it away on defense would be masterful for Stevens to be able to use as an option.

I think Stevens if given young players who aren't pieces of **** (aka are not Irving) as options off the bench he'd maximize them 100% for the team in terms of wins. Give our boy some different tools he can use Ainge, I beg you.
Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Post#1384 » by Squigglepuffin » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:12 pm

How interested are you all in the combine measurements and testing of the players in the draft?

How significantly could the combine (or virtual combine for this year) with all the measurements and testing impact your assessment of players "draftability"?

Have you been high on a player in past drafts before seeing measurements and testing results and then seeing they have a shorter than expected wingspan for example and after that you become less interested in them as players?

Any examples? Just curious.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#1385 » by JHTruth » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:44 pm

Lamelo Ball told a couple people that he was going for a private workout at the Celtics facility yesterday. It was backtracked but I have no doubt he wasn't lying to people.

Chris Grenham
@chrisgrenham
Spoke with two separate sources today who chatted with LaMelo Ball at the Ritz Carlton in Boston. Ball told both sources that he was headed to the Celtics facility later today, however this report makes more sense considering the latest pre-draft timeline.
Quote Tweet

Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress
· 13h
Source says LaMelo Ball was in Boston for a meeting with sneaker company Puma, not the Celtics, as some online reports have indicated. In-person pre-draft workouts/meetings with teams are not permitted at the moment.
6:50 PM · Sep 16, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Seems like he'd be a perfect fit. We need more playmaking on this team bigtime. Not the same combo guards that we draft every year. We move Hayward for Wiggins and the 2nd? They get immediate All-Star help at the wing and a massive contract coming off their books next summer for FA. We get scoring help now who's only 25 and LaMelo.

LaMelo
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Rob

Wiggins
Grant
Romeo

Could go places..
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1386 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:46 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Yeah looking at Maxey he fits your typical Ainge guard. And this year more than other drats outside of like the top 3 any player could be available at any pick (Ringer has Maxey just outside of top 10 in overall prospect ratings but going 21 to the Nets).

Strengths are defense, looks like his profile says despite a little lower than normal numbers he has all the calling cards of a great shooter "Shot only 32 percent on jumpers, but his compact form, soft touch, and high percentage from the line bodes well for his future as a shooter."

Physical profile is he's big enough to guard PGs with a 6'6" wingspan and 198 lbs.

He just kind of seem like what we've drafted 100 of before.

That said on The Ringer for his profile it also has him with Shades of: Carsen Edwards

Do you think there is ever a time we don't draft the exact same type of player over and over again?

I'd love to see us get someone who is a playmaker and can drive to the basket just to get the defense rotation and circle it out and then probe again.

Or someone who can fill that Eddie House, Kyle Kover, Herro row off the bench that we can put in when we're having trouble scoring.

And of course I mean I think every team would love someone who is a Jae Crowder 3 and D kinda PF/SF for modern basketball. We tried really hard for years for Semi to hit that shot and he never did get it. If he did he'd be tremendous.

I just... with this being our LAST draft with a lot of swings of the bat in the draft. With Tatum ascending to being a primary playmaker in an offense kind of level guy. I'd just love for us to draft someone to start filling these roles in the rotation that we have.

And yes Kelly 0 is effective on offense and defense sadly. Very effective. But I hate him so I refuse to give him credit for how good he is hahaha. But yeah someone who isn't Kelly 0 that has his skill set and a little more heart would be a HUGE boost for this team... again if we're having trouble scoring or we're facing another Nurse situation and they figure something out using say a zone being able to have a 3 point Center who is big enough to not give it away on defense would be masterful for Stevens to be able to use as an option.

I think Stevens if given young players who aren't pieces of **** (aka are not Irving) as options off the bench he'd maximize them 100% for the team in terms of wins. Give our boy some different tools he can use Ainge, I beg you.

Maxey is good at driving and dishing off the bounce. Projects similar to Smart or Kemba or IT— not a mega assist generator but good enough to serve as a creator for others. He’s not a pure PG like CP3 or Rondo but he can function well as a secondary piece behind a wing initiator like Tatum.

I get the swing for the fences mentality— its why Im a fan of Poku. I just want someone I’m confident that could develop here and I’m unsure he fits the bill. Given roster construction, I lean guard or bigger wing as guys who would have the opportunity to grow beat here.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1387 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:47 pm

JHTruth wrote:Lamelo Ball told a couple people that he was going for a private workout at the Celtics facility yesterday. It was backtracked but I have no doubt he wasn't lying to people.

Chris Grenham
@chrisgrenham
Spoke with two separate sources today who chatted with LaMelo Ball at the Ritz Carlton in Boston. Ball told both sources that he was headed to the Celtics facility later today, however this report makes more sense considering the latest pre-draft timeline.
Quote Tweet

Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress
· 13h
Source says LaMelo Ball was in Boston for a meeting with sneaker company Puma, not the Celtics, as some online reports have indicated. In-person pre-draft workouts/meetings with teams are not permitted at the moment.

Seems like he'd be a perfect fit. We need more playmaking on this team bigtime. Not the same combo guards that we draft every year. We move Hayward for Wiggins and the 2nd? They get immediate All-Star help at the wing and a massive contract coming off their books next summer for FA. We get scoring help now who's only 25 and LaMelo.

LaMelo
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Rob

Wiggins
Grant
Romeo

Could go places..

Guessing it’d be Hayward/14 for Wiggins/2.

Edit: to expand, GS wants to have cap space in 21 to have the flexibility to pursue Giannis. Wiggins is an albatross. #2 also prevents this with the 9M cap hit. Theyre going to move this pick and aim to get a wing later on.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#1388 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:12 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
JHTruth wrote:Lamelo Ball told a couple people that he was going for a private workout at the Celtics facility yesterday. It was backtracked but I have no doubt he wasn't lying to people.

Chris Grenham
@chrisgrenham
Quote Tweet

Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress
· 13h

LaMelo
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Rob

Wiggins
Grant
Romeo

Could go places..

Edit: to expand, GS wants to have cap space in 21 to have the flexibility to pursue Giannis. Wiggins is an albatross. #2 also prevents this with the 9M cap hit. Theyre going to move this pick and aim to get a wing later on.

Dude.. Okay 2 thoughts.

Wiggins & the #2 is perfect here ONLY if the owners say yes we're willing to pay endless luxury tax over 2020 - 2030. Which they would say if we did that trade.

That trade opens up SO MUCH for us.

So Wiggins is *** on defense and that's a super big concern. But I'll be damned if he isn't at least the perfect 6th man off the bench. And he's always had the body to be a good switch wing defender. I'm very interested in him.

And go up to the #2 to get say a Haliburton or Hayes or Okongwu..

Playoff rotations are 8 maybe 9 deep. And that trade while it hurts our current starting lineup a bit... could make us 8 deep right away.

With Ball I'm concerned his passing won't matter. You can't be a playmaker if you can't either hit the 3 or be a threat to drive to the rim or even stop and pop a midrange J. You need to score in order to be a playmaker and I don't want for him to be Lonzo where he has to play off ball in the half court to open up the floor. I want SMART to be in that role for us, who is no Ball but if Smart is the off ball guard who's entire throught process is "killer pass" with his vision and complete disregard for what is right we'll see a ton of highlights where the playmaker does all the work, and then passes it to smart who will do instant tip passes to an open mid range for Theis or for a cutting Jaylen Brown.

I really think Smart has another level on offense that can only be unlocked playing next to a true playmaker and just let him be the well in soccer it'd be call the Trequarista role... but essentially the guy that's watching how everything is rotating in real time and playing on instincts and makes that killer pass. Maybe a full court to the side of the key, ect. I really think he could star in that role (yes it will come with it's fair share of turnovers but for open shot to turnover ratio I think we'd see a dramatic improvement)
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#1389 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:15 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Chris Grenham
@chrisgrenham
Quote Tweet

Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress
· 13h

LaMelo
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Rob

Wiggins
Grant
Romeo

Could go places..

The problem with this is Golden State would still have something like $102 million tied up in Curry, Thompson and Green during the summer of 2021. The cap is projected at $115 million. Would it be easy to find a taker for Green's contract? Hmmm...

Interesting though. I know Cave has touched on your line of thinking before.

As much as Wiggins' contract stinks, it would be nice to have Lamelo. Just not sure how he'd fit in, personality-wise.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1390 » by 100proof » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:25 pm

Chris Grenham
@chrisgrenham
Quote Tweet

Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress
· 13h

LaMelo
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Rob

Wiggins
Grant
Romeo

Could go places..

Interesting.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#1391 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:45 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Chris Grenham
@chrisgrenham
Quote Tweet

Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress
· 13h

LaMelo
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Rob

Wiggins
Grant
Romeo

Could go places..

The problem with this is Golden State would still have something like $102 million tied up in Curry, Thompson and Green during the summer of 2021. The cap is projected at $115 million. Would it be easy to find a taker for Green's contract? Hmmm...

As much as Wiggins' contract stinks, it would be nice to have Lamelo. Just not sure how he'd fit in, personality-wise.

Easy? No.

But if it's the summer of 2021 and they're looking at the last few years of Curry and Klay's career and Greek Freak said he'll come.

You have enough bad teams that will take a Nets style rebuild trade, or OKC trade where it's like yo, eat this contract and have these 3-4 first rounders.

If you're the Warriors that would be the right move too because Curry + Klay are generational talents, and so is Greek Freak. Maybe it's only for 2-3 years until Klay and Curry can't defense anymore but that's well worth mortgaging the 8 years after that to get another ring or possibly 2.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1392 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:00 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Chris Grenham
@chrisgrenham
Quote Tweet

Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress
· 13h

LaMelo
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Rob

Wiggins
Grant
Romeo

Could go places..

They cant keep Klay and Curry and max out Giannis without using a S&T; they could package some picks [14/Minny21] and Dray [to a third team for assets routed to Milwaukee].

They cant really do any of that with Wiggins though, due to the hard cap.

The best part of Hayward is that he gives GS a great current player and a very good fallback option if Giannis doesnt want them.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1393 » by 100proof » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:26 pm

Wolves get: Jrue Holiday, Harrison Barnes
Kings get: Hayward, #26, Romeo Langford
Pelicans get: Buddy Hield, Vincent Poirier and a second from Boston
Celtics get James Johnson and #1 in the draft.

8-)
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1394 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:31 pm

Lamelo looks cool and all but do you really want to blow all that to move up and draft him? He looks like his floor is 'unplayably awful' if he can't play defense. And his jumper looks terrible. He's such a wildcard. I'd draft him if he were there at whatever draft pick they had, but I'm not selling Hayward, Langford and multiple picks for the privilege of drafting a 25% 3p shooter who played no defense in Australia.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Post#1395 » by djFan71 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:04 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Spoiler:

Chris Grenham
@chrisgrenham
Quote Tweet

Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress
· 13h

LaMelo
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Rob

Wiggins
Grant
Romeo

Could go places..

I always get interested in these type trades, but don't know enough about the top of the draft to know if I'd really do it. Do you guys think LaMelo or whoever you get at 2 is worth the downgrade from Hayward to Wiggins and possibly losing Smart or Brown due to salary concerns later?
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1396 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:09 pm

djFan71 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Spoiler:

Chris Grenham
@chrisgrenham
Quote Tweet

Jonathan Givony
@DraftExpress
· 13h

LaMelo
Smart
Brown
Tatum
Rob

Wiggins
Grant
Romeo

Could go places..

I always get interested in these type trades, but don't know enough about the top of the draft to know if I'd really do it. Do you guys think LaMelo or whoever you get at 2 is worth the downgrade from Hayward to Wiggins and possibly losing Smart or Brown due to salary concerns later?

Yes on LaMelo.

Disagree that this would mean Smart is gone— when his deal is up, Wiggins will expiring and we’ll be able to dump him for a few firsts. Really, it’d only be one year extra of salary.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Post#1397 » by djFan71 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:50 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
djFan71 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Spoiler:

Yes on LaMelo.

Disagree that this would mean Smart is gone— when his deal is up, Wiggins will expiring and we’ll be able to dump him for a few firsts. Really, it’d only be one year extra of salary.

Yeah, it's about about how bad '21-22 would be. First year of Tatum max & Wiggins being @31M vs what a resigned Hayward would be, and 2nd year of #2 contract. If they are cool with paying that, then you're good.
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#1398 » by JHTruth » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:06 pm

djFan71 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
djFan71 wrote:I always get interested in these type trades, but don't know enough about the top of the draft to know if I'd really do it. Do you guys think LaMelo or whoever you get at 2 is worth the downgrade from Hayward to Wiggins and possibly losing Smart or Brown due to salary concerns later?

Yes on LaMelo.

Yeah, it's about about how bad '21-22 would be. First year of Tatum max & Wiggins being @31M vs what a resigned Hayward would be, and 2nd year of #2 contract. If they are cool with paying that, then you're good.

We'll be contending. The owners will pay it as long as you're going to the ECF or Finals every year. Hayward is just not working out here. By now these players have gotten used to him not playing. Let's use him to get some value..
JHTruth
RealGM

Post#1399 » by JHTruth » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:10 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Lamelo looks cool and all but do you really want to blow all that to move up and draft him? He looks like his floor is 'unplayably awful' if he can't play defense. And his jumper looks terrible. He's such a wildcard. I'd draft him if he were there at whatever draft pick they had, but I'm not selling Hayward, Langford and multiple picks for the privilege of drafting a 25% 3p shooter who played no defense in Australia.

His defense became less of a concern as the season went on as he started to play much better and his brother is an excellent defender. That's not really a concern I think. I think the jumper is the main thing with him but that can be worked out you have a superstar. Danny would pull the trigger no hesitation. And they don't want salary back I don't think..
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1400 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:48 pm

If you trade all that and LaMelo Ball isn't the best player on the roster, then you **** up so badly. Wiggins is unplayable and you have to pay him all that money for years? I don't doubt LaMelo has a great ceiling as a freak distributor and defender, but his shot looks so broken and his floor is so low that you can't just trade a real chance at a championship next year for him. Is his ceiling even any higher than Romeo Langford's? Draft him at 14 all you want, but you can't trade up to 2 to take him, just absolute insanity.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.

Return to Boston Celtics