ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#1941 » by CelticsLV » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:47 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Cole Anthony is a low IQ player? He played on the worst college team with a clogged paint and zero perimeter game. If he's a chucker, that's a coaching issue. So just have good coaches and you can select all the chuckers you want. High usage for a freshman guard strikes me as a good sign. He could still suck, but if you just watch even like 5 minutes of UNC basketball (I could barely do it until recently, such an awful sport college basketball is, and UNC was the worst of the worst), it's clear he has an elite shot that he can get whenever he wants in a number of ways. If he's inefficient, I would chalk a lot of that up to being forced to take shots because either he wants to or that his team is garbage and he has to. Both things can be fixed by being on a good NBA team. He definitely has a great handle and great shot.

Ok, maybe low IQ is too strong of a word but NC went from 29-7 to one of the worst teams all because they replaced Coby White with Cole Anthony and lost Little (another overhyped dissapointment), Johnson? Just stop. There's reason why Cole has dropped like a rock far out of the lotto just like Manninon.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#1942 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:55 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:Cole Anthony might be a chucker, inefficient or don't have an enough quick first step for the NBA, but he certainly doesn't lack IQ at all.

Agreed.

It is concerning when a guy can't be efficient in college and their calling card is supposed to be scoring as a pro.

He could become a scorer in the same way Terry Rozier is, and I think we all know how that feels.

Of course he's just 20 and could get better because he has all the tools in the toolbox for at least ISO scoring, but it is 100% worrying.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#1943 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:59 pm

Can someone tell me about the big guys other than Wiseman? I'm talking about McDaniels, Carey, Stewart, Oturu, Smith and Nnaji.

Azubuike has been around for awhile so I think I know what he brings.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#1944 » by JHTruth » Fri Oct 2, 2020 7:07 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Can someone tell me about the big guys other than Wiseman? I'm talking about McDaniels, Carey, Stewart, Oturu, Smith and Nnaji.

Jalen Smith is by far the best prospect out of all of them. Word on the street is he's getting lottery buzz. Decent size. Ibaka mold.

The rest are a bit slow, big guys. Kind of guys you get for the MLE anytime you want. Nnaji might be the exception but I've always though his game was pretty basic. McDaniels is a homeless man's Rashard Lewis
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,193

Post#1945 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Oct 2, 2020 7:09 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1946 » by 100proof » Fri Oct 2, 2020 7:22 pm

JHTruth wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:Can someone tell me about the big guys other than Wiseman? I'm talking about McDaniels, Carey, Stewart, Oturu, Smith and Nnaji.

Jalen Smith is by far the best prospect out of all of them. Word on the street is he's getting lottery buzz. Decent size. Ibaka mold.

The rest are a bit slow, big guys. Kind of guys you get for the MLE anytime you want. Nnaji might be the exception but I've always though his game was pretty basic. McDaniels is a homeless man's Rashard Lewis

Jalen is potential the 2nd best big in the draft, dont think the team drafts a big though.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,419

Post#1947 » by threrf23 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 7:23 pm

JHTruth wrote:

Jalen Smith intrigues me, as he is statistically very similar to Chris Bosh around the same age. Same height/build as well, and generally similar strengths/weaknesses. His wingspan (7'2) is two inches shorter than Bosh's, and the general consensus is he isn't the same caliber prospect, but in the mid-late 1st round those probably aren't good reasons to pass on him.

Regarding Jaden McDaniels - great ceiling on paper. But his 7.5 rebounds per 40 is not encouraging, he is raw by most accounts, and his brother Jalen got caught up in a pronography scandal at SDSU and didn't show much as an NBA rookie this season.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#1948 » by 100proof » Fri Oct 2, 2020 7:29 pm

threrf23 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

Jalen Smith intrigues me, as he is statistically very similar to Chris Bosh around the same age. Same height/build as well, and generally similar strengths/weaknesses. His wingspan (7'2) is two inches shorter than Bosh's, and the general consensus is he isn't the same caliber prospect, but in the mid-late 1st round those probably aren't good reasons to pass on him.

Regarding Jaden McDaniels - great ceiling on paper. But his 7.5 rebounds per 40 is not encouraging, he is raw by most accounts, and his brother Jalen got caught up in a pronography scandal at SDSU and didn't show much as an NBA rookie this season.

I see him as becoming a Myles Turner
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#1949 » by Curmudgeon » Fri Oct 2, 2020 7:44 pm

Well, the Celtics will have to deal with Adebayo for quite a few years. Why wouldn't Ainge consider a big with at least one of his picks?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1950 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:01 pm

CelticsLV wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Cole Anthony is a low IQ player? He played on the worst college team with a clogged paint and zero perimeter game. If he's a chucker, that's a coaching issue. So just have good coaches and you can select all the chuckers you want. High usage for a freshman guard strikes me as a good sign. He could still suck, but if you just watch even like 5 minutes of UNC basketball (I could barely do it until recently, such an awful sport college basketball is, and UNC was the worst of the worst), it's clear he has an elite shot that he can get whenever he wants in a number of ways. If he's inefficient, I would chalk a lot of that up to being forced to take shots because either he wants to or that his team is garbage and he has to. Both things can be fixed by being on a good NBA team. He definitely has a great handle and great shot.

Ok, maybe low IQ is too strong of a word but NC went from 29-7 to one of the worst teams all because they replaced Coby White with Cole Anthony and lost Little (another overhyped dissapointment), Johnson? Just stop. There's reason why Cole has dropped like a rock far out of the lotto just like Manninon.

All I know is that UNC had four guys last year who played from the perimeter (White, Johnson, Williams, Maye) and this year they had two (Anthony, Robinson). They were 307th in the NCAA in 3PA and 313th in percentage. Fifth in ORB, second in the nation in rebounding. Just a pack-it-in team with no driving lanes for a scoring guard. I don't expect the team that drafts him will run anything remotely similar to a 1988 NBA offense. Just not a conducive roster for a freshman point guard, but yeah I don't even know if I like the guy that much; but if he was highly regarded before the seasons based on high school tape and pedigree it seems like he should be highly regarded now because the team he was on sucked ass for his play style. I would just look at his skills over his raw stats and the win-loss of his team basically.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,399

Post#1951 » by Homerclease » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:43 pm

Haliburton is intriguing because he has that prototype size you want at the position. Kid was lighting up college before going down with injury as well. He’d be third in line of my trade up targets behind Wiseman and Vassell but definitely wouldn’t be disappointed if we moved up for him. He’s one of the few guys in the draft with true superstar potential if he can reach it.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,597

Post#1952 » by playa-hater » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:46 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

as I and some other posters Snowman, have been saying.. S Bey, A Nesmith, Vassell, and/or Pat Williams will be there at 14... DON"T F THIS UP DANNY!!

In fact I would be happy with a 14 BEY, 26 - D Bane and 30 best BIG available ...
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
AgentGreen
Head Coach
And1: 3,469

Post#1953 » by AgentGreen » Fri Oct 2, 2020 10:25 pm

threrf23 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

Best shooting big talentwise in this draft. His 3pt shot is automatic, we don't have a benchplayer with a good 3pt shot. His biggest weakness is his lowerbody.He has a small hip and chicken leggs. He needs to work on that. With a good fitness program he could be one of the biggest steals in this draft. I like him a lot.

If we stay at #14 my picks at the moment would be Bey, Jalen Smith or Nesmith.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#1954 » by Dogen » Fri Oct 2, 2020 10:54 pm

ddb wrote:Edwards reminds me a little too much of Waiters. No thanks on Ball because he's a Ball. I think Wiseman is going to be good, but not great. I like Hayes but he's going to take time. Same with Deni. Toppin is another Tobias Harris type. Okongwu is talented, but beware of the copycat league (poor mans Bam). Haliburton has some skills, but is nothing special. Vassell will be a solid role guy. Okoro same thing. Patrick Williams will end up in the D League. Cole Anthony will be one of the better players from the draft IMO. Nesmith I like because he brings an elite skill and good size for his position. Jalen Smith will find a place and have a nice career as a 3rd big. Maledon is going to be good but will take time. Basically, the entire draft is filled with major question marks. nobody stands out as a future superstar.

This seems to be an honest and likely outcomes for a lot of these guys. Like, P Williams -- he may turn out to be good in a few years, but may need a season or two of... seasoning.

This is why I hope Danny can move up a few spots and get a guy he wants but without giving up too much. As you say, Haliburton may not be anything special, but he doesn't really need to be. He needs to be a guy who can play solid defense, move the ball up the court quickly, get it to Jaylen or Jayson or be able to hit a shot/get to the bucket. He looks like a good compliment to those guys and doesn't need to shine as all-star brightly as them, but just become a good starting caliber guard.

Not sure about Cole. he's one of the more divisive picks on this board. If Haliburton is in the C's crosshairs, I'd like to see if a 14 + 26 or 30 can get a 8, 9, or 10th pick. 3 more 1st round rooks is to much in one draft, and Danny hasn't had much luck with draft and stash. A rangy future PG in Haliburton and a 3&D type like Banes would a good haul for a pretty meh draft board.
Hey you! Can we come together?
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,491

Post#1955 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 11:25 pm

AgentGreen wrote:
threrf23 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

Best shooting big talentwise in this draft. His 3pt shot is automatic, we don't have a benchplayer with a good 3pt shot. His biggest weakness is his lowerbody.He has a small hip and chicken leggs. He needs to work on that. With a good fitness program he could be one of the biggest steals in this draft. I like him a lot.

If we stay at #14 my picks at the moment would be Bey, Jalen Smith or Nesmith.

I like Smith, prob my third big behind Okongwu and Achiuwa. Killie is the best shooting big in the draft followed by Toppin. Smith did improve his outside shot from his freshman year but it’s hard to compare him to the freshman bigs. I like the PJ Brown comp for him. I think Achiuwa is as good defensively(led ACC in def win shares) with a higher offensive ceiling. He plays out of control but shows a lot of glimpses of being able to do it all.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#1956 » by themoneyteam2 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 12:11 am

CelticsLV wrote:

Uhh yeah it’s because UNC lost 5 of their 6 top players from last year, including two four year seniors. That might’ve been just a slight reason why they got worse lol.

Put a healthy Coby White on the roster last year instead of Cole and I guarantee you they still don’t make the NCAA tournament. Easily the worst UNC team/worst amount of talent under a Roy Williams team in his 15 yrs there.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,991

Post#1957 » by Floody100 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 12:32 am

Thoughts on trading all 3 first round picks with Detroit to get Wiseman ?
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,990

Post#1958 » by Parliament10 » Sat Oct 3, 2020 1:08 am

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics