ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#461 » by captain green » Wed May 20, 2020 1:45 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
captain green wrote:I'm real excited to meet the undersized guards he drafts lol.

lol I think we already have though. Waters and Edwards.

That won't stop him, we had kemba smart wannamaker before we drafted them
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#462 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed May 20, 2020 12:04 pm

captain green wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
captain green wrote:I'm real excited to meet the undersized guards he drafts lol.

No, it won't necessarily. And it shouldn't. However, the salary cap and all this lost revenue due to the pandemic might though. Sure Danny will pick the BPA who fits the skillsets that he and Brad like in players but considering all that's happening and our more pressing in-house financial considerations what would be the logic in bringing in guaranteed salary first round guys this year anyway when you have enough youth to develop already on the roster? And I think it's a good bet that Waters replaces Wanamaker on the roster anyways
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#463 » by winsomme2 » Wed May 20, 2020 12:36 pm

Backcourt:

Tyrese Maxey
Kira Lewis
Tyrell Terry
Theo Maledon
Immanuel Quickley (might be a reach for first round)

Swing:

Aaron Nesmith
Devin Vassell
Saddiq Bey
Josh Green
Cassius Stanley
Desmond Bane

PF/C
Patrick Williams
Aleksej Pokusevski
Xavier Tillman
Precious Achiuwa
Zeke Nnaji

There's a few more that I have interest in, but if we ended up with some combo of players on this list, I would be very pleased with our draft. I think it's totally realistic as well.

Some make more sense at #17 while others would be more of a #30 pick but all seem like first round talents that could be very good pro players. I'm feeling good about the talent in the middle of this draft.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#464 » by captain green » Wed May 20, 2020 10:28 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
captain green wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

No, it won't necessarily. And it shouldn't. However, the salary cap and all this lost revenue due to the pandemic might though. Sure Danny will pick the BPA who fits the skillsets that he and Brad like in players but considering all that's happening and our more pressing in-house financial considerations what would be the logic in bringing in guaranteed salary first round guys this year anyway when you have enough youth to develop already on the roster? And I think it's a good bet that Waters replaces Wanamaker on the roster anyways

Well I agree waters is the best of the bunch and eventually replaces wannamaker
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#465 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:23 am

winsomme2 wrote:Backcourt:

Tyrese Maxey
Kira Lewis
Tyrell Terry
Theo Maledon

Swing:

Aaron Nesmith
Devin Vassell
Saddiq Bey
Josh Green
Cassius Stanley
Desmond Bane

PF/C
Patrick Williams
Aleksej Pokusevski
Xavier Tillman
Precious Achiuwa
Zeke Nnaji

There's a few more that I have interest in, but if we ended up with some combo of players on this list, I would be very pleased with our draft. I think it's totally realistic as well.

Some make more sense at #17 while others would be more of a #30 pick but all seem like first round talents that could be very good pro players. I'm feeling good about the talent in the middle of this draft.

I'd all Paul Reed from DePaul in the PF/C group too and would argue he's the best one out of that group.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#466 » by ddb » Thu May 21, 2020 2:15 pm

Tyrese Maxey
Kira Lewis
Tyrell Terry
Theo Maledon

Swing:

Aaron Nesmith
Devin Vassell
Saddiq Bey
Josh Green
Cassius Stanley
Desmond Bane

PF/C
Patrick Williams
Aleksej Pokusevski
Xavier Tillman
Precious Achiuwa
Zeke Nnaji

I'm all for trading out for a vet...but if Danny drafts the #1 target with the Memphis pick or via trade up is Nesmith. Would be a luxury to have an athletic sharpshooting wing coming off the bench.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,833

Post#467 » by Celts17Pride » Thu May 21, 2020 4:06 pm

ddb wrote:

Tyrese Maxey
Kira Lewis
Tyrell Terry
Theo Maledon

Swing:

Aaron Nesmith
Devin Vassell
Saddiq Bey
Josh Green
Cassius Stanley
Desmond Bane

PF/C
Patrick Williams
Aleksej Pokusevski
Xavier Tillman
Precious Achiuwa
Zeke Nnaji

I'm all for trading out for a vet...but if Danny drafts the #1 target with the Memphis pick or via trade up is Nesmith. Would be a luxury to have an athletic sharpshooting wing coming off the bench.

I personally like Maledon, Nesmith or Vassell with the 17th pick. Get someone to pair with Smart off the bench. Play one of Brown, Tatum or Hayward with Smart and the draft pick. 3+ good offensive players at all times.

Also competition for Langford to improve his game in order to get playing time.

Ainge most likely will make a trade(s). Celtics will have too many players that are NBA caliber
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,894

Post#468 » by CelticsPride18 » Thu May 21, 2020 4:47 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
ddb wrote:

Tyrese Maxey
Kira Lewis
Tyrell Terry
Theo Maledon

Swing:

Aaron Nesmith
Devin Vassell
Saddiq Bey
Josh Green
Cassius Stanley
Desmond Bane

PF/C
Patrick Williams
Aleksej Pokusevski
Xavier Tillman
Precious Achiuwa
Zeke Nnaji

I personally like Maledon, Nesmith or Vassell with the 17th pick. Get someone to pair with Smart off the bench. Play one of Brown, Tatum or Hayward with Smart and the draft pick. 3+ good offensive players at all times.

Also competition for Langford to improve his game in order to get playing time.

Ainge most likely will make a trade(s). Celtics will have too many players that are NBA caliber

Nesmith is the perfect fit for the bench. Doesn’t need the ball in hands and allows Langford and Smart to be the main ball handlers off the bench.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,520

Post#469 » by snowman » Fri May 22, 2020 11:00 am

I agree with Nesmith with the 17th. We need a pure shooter. He could be Bradley Beal like in a couple years. I would even trade this pick along with the 30th to get him if I had to. Pick up a big like Pokusevski (to stash for a year) or Jalen Smith. Pick up a Euro stash with the 30th unless we get Pokuseski. If we get him, and didn't have to trade this pick to get Nesmith, then trade for a 2nd this year and a future 2nd if you can. We need to replace Watters and Fall on our 2 ways, who both should be with our big club next season.

If we can come out of this draft with adding Nesmith to the big club, stashing Pokusevski and another point guard and big for Maine we are golden.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect

Post#470 » by winsomme2 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:14 am

snowman wrote:I agree with Nesmith with the 17th. We need a pure shooter. He could be Bradley Beal like in a couple years. I would even trade this pick along with the 30th to get him if I had to. Pick up a big like Pokusevski (to stash for a year) or Jalen Smith. Pick up a Euro stash with the 30th unless we get Pokuseski. If we get him, and didn't have to trade this pick to get Nesmith, then trade for a 2nd this year and a future 2nd if you can. We need to replace Watters and Fall on our 2 ways, who both should be with our big club next season.

If we can come out of this draft with adding Nesmith to the big club, stashing Pokusevski and another point guard and big for Maine we are golden.

I could see a team pretty close to top 10 rolling the dice on him. 3pt shooting is such a premium right now. I think of how much PHO reached on Cam Johnson last year as an example. Nesmith seems like a better version of Cam, so he could be gone early.
winsomme2
Pro Prospect

Post#471 » by winsomme2 » Fri May 22, 2020 11:17 am

I wish I had a better sense of Josh Green as a pro because I think he's gonna be there at 17 and he has all the ingredients. He just doesn't jump out when I watch him play.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#472 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri May 22, 2020 3:10 pm

Nesmith had 13 total assists last year as a sophomore who had the ball in his hands a ton. He also has a 1:2 A:TO ratio. Thats an alarming red flag and demonstrates a poor BBIQ.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#473 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri May 22, 2020 3:18 pm

Maxey is getting underrated due to a small sample size with his shooting. Shot 35% from 3 on 600+ attempts in high school and is an 80%+ FT shooter. Think he’ll be a real good player long term and that we’d be a great environment for him to grow as a PG.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#474 » by threrf23 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:25 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Nesmith had 13 total assists last year as a sophomore who had the ball in his hands a ton. He also has a 1:2 A:TO ratio. Thats an alarming red flag and demonstrates a poor BBIQ.

His stats were actually better as a freshman in various respects....but his A/TO ratio is particularly disappointing given that he didn't score a whole lot inside the arc, and didn't get to the line all too often.

Jaylen had a similar A/TO ratio if we are comparing freshman years, but Jaylen was at least more active inside the arc, and averaged nearly 10 FTAs per game.

That said, nbadraft.net adds the following about him: "Shows potential on the defensive end due to length and basketball IQ, but still has a ways to go … 1.4 steals per game shows his solid anticipation ability … Rotates well and is willing to close out on shooters … Seems to understand his strengths and weaknesses, “plays within himself”, doesn’t try to do too much … Team player with a low key demeanor. Seems coachable and doesn’t have a huge ego, wants to win."

If that checks out, he should develop nicely. Mo Harkless maybe? Shorter. But Mo Harkless would be a much more valuable player if he were a much better shooter.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,894

Post#475 » by CelticsPride18 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:27 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Maxey is getting underrated due to a small sample size with his shooting. Shot 35% from 3 on 600+ attempts in high school and is an 80%+ FT shooter. Think he’ll be a real good player long term and that we’d be a great environment for him to grow as a PG.

I feel like we need an off ball player especially if we want to develop Langford.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#476 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri May 22, 2020 3:30 pm

threrf23 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:Nesmith had 13 total assists last year as a sophomore who had the ball in his hands a ton. He also has a 1:2 A:TO ratio. Thats an alarming red flag and demonstrates a poor BBIQ.

His stats were actually better as a freshman in various respects....but his A/TO ratio is particularly disappointing given that he didn't score a whole lot inside the arc, and didn't get to the line all too often.

Jaylen had a similar A/TO ratio if we are comparing freshman years, but Jaylen was at least more active inside the arc, and averaged nearly 10 FTAs per game.

That said, nbadraft.net adds the following about him: "Shows potential on the defensive end due to length and basketball IQ, but still has a ways to go … 1.4 steals per game shows his solid anticipation ability … Rotates well and is willing to close out on shooters … Seems to understand his strengths and weaknesses, “plays within himself”, doesn’t try to do too much … Team player with a low key demeanor. Seems coachable and doesn’t have a huge ego, wants to win."

If that checks out, he should develop nicely. Mo Harkless maybe? Shorter. But Mo Harkless would be a much more valuable player if he were a much better shooter.

Jaylen had 10 more assists his Freshman year than Nesmith had for his entire career. I’m more concerned by the low assist number than the TO number, to be clear. TOs are weirdly a positive indicator, showing both aggression and a player trying to grow.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#477 » by RickyDizzle » Fri May 22, 2020 3:43 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:

Tyrese Maxey
Kira Lewis
Tyrell Terry
Theo Maledon

Swing:

Aaron Nesmith
Devin Vassell
Saddiq Bey
Josh Green
Cassius Stanley
Desmond Bane

PF/C
Patrick Williams
Aleksej Pokusevski
Xavier Tillman
Precious Achiuwa
Zeke Nnaji

I'd all Paul Reed from DePaul in the PF/C group too and would argue he's the best one out of that group.

No love for Vernon Carey? Id love to come out of this draft with Nesmith and Carey. A sharpshooting wing and a bruising athletic rim protector, less springy but more solid than bob williams.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,393

Post#478 » by threrf23 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:45 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Jaylen had 10 more assists his Freshman year than Nesmith had for his entire career. I’m more concerned by the low assist number than the TO number, to be clear. TOs are weirdly a positive indicator, showing both aggression and a player trying to grow.

Maybe, but A/TO ratio typically increases as assists/game increases I believe.

Of course, part of what I was saying I guess is that if you look at 2 point FGs and FTAs, to a lesser extent maybe assists, stats indicate that Jaylen was aggressive independent of TOs. Whereas Nesmith, statistically, looks at least closer to a spot up shooter. There is no reason a spot up shooter should be turning the ball over. And if he's not a spot up shooter, he should be more productive elsewhere.

But then again if I take issue with Jaylen, it's that I think he could do a better job of playing within himself and sticking to his strengths. If I am sold that Nesmith brings the right intangibles to the table, I am bullish on him come late lottery (where he is currently projected by nbadraft.net).
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#479 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri May 22, 2020 3:52 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

Tyrese Maxey
Kira Lewis
Tyrell Terry
Theo Maledon

Swing:

Aaron Nesmith
Devin Vassell
Saddiq Bey
Josh Green
Cassius Stanley
Desmond Bane

PF/C
Patrick Williams
Aleksej Pokusevski
Xavier Tillman
Precious Achiuwa
Zeke Nnaji

No love for Vernon Carey? Id love to come out of this draft with Nesmith and Carey. A sharpshooting wing and a bruising athletic rim protector, less springy but more solid than bob williams.

Carey is one of my least favorite prospects. He's the one guy I don't want the Celtics to draft and I don't think they wil because Ainge doesn't draft guys that can't play defensel.

He's a worse version of Jahlil Okafor. Low post scorer but not overly dominant but draws lots of fouls. Great rebounder. Poor decision maker. Very left hand dominant. Struggles at FT line but not too concerned with his form. Explosiveness is questionable and has an average wingspan.

The main reason I'm not a fan is his ball-screen defense. It's Jah level bad. If you can't have a big that can play in pick and rolls, he's not getting on the court in today's NBA. I just don't see the upside. Yeah he can score in the low post and rebound but not even sure that will be a dominant skill for him in the league.

I'd be genuinely shocked if the Celtics pick him since they love versatile guys and defenders.
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#480 » by big-shot-ROB » Sat May 23, 2020 8:02 pm

Okay so here go my thoughts on what you guys have said lately.

Jalen Smith and Reggie Perry should be on that centers list. Jahmi'us Ramsey on the wings too (very Avery Bradlish).

winsomme2 wrote:I wish I had a better sense of Josh Green as a pro because I think he's gonna be there at 17 and he has all the ingredients. He just doesn't jump out when I watch him play.

Josh is going to be a good pro. He projects to be a very solid defender, has good understanding of team defense too. All the question marks are on the offensive end. He barely has any NBA-ready skill there. He doesn't have a great first step, can't finish at the rim, doesn't project to be able to create for himself regularly, very very streaky shooter right now.

I don't really care about that. Nesmith projects to be a 3pt specialist. I don't want the ball in his hands more than 3s. He is going to play the Reddick-Klay role, which he is really good at. Just spot up, run floppy plays for him. Catch and shoot, 1-2 dribbles and shoot. He is a pretty abismal penetrator, definetely something you shouldn't expect him to do.

SmartWentCrazy wrote:Maxey is getting underrated due to a small sample size with his shooting. Shot 35% from 3 on 600+ attempts in high school and is an 80%+ FT shooter. Think he’ll be a real good player long term and that we’d be a great environment for him to grow as a PG.

Maxey is going to be solid but I think if he doesn't improve his ability to be a floor general he will top out as a microwave scorer off the bench. He isn't really an orchestrator. He isn't even solid at passing. He has a great pull-up game and you hope we learn to do that from 3 at the NBA. His game is very much like Fultz in the NBA. Strong and coordinated penatrator with the some ability to pull up from mid-range but not really quick or explosive.

PD: nbadraft.net is good if you want to have a general knowledge of the draft like getting familiar with the names and so. But his reviews are awful and his track record is horrendous. If you don't want to dive into film and create your own opinion, I'd recommend checking out thestepien.com. They usually have pretty solid takes on prospects (though they can outsmart themselves sometimes: last year they had Grant Williams as the second best prospect just behind Zion), and some of their contributors are long posters on the NBA Draft board.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.

Return to Boston Celtics