Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#61 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:55 pm

100proof wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Wes-J wrote:
What's the situation with Kanter and Theis beyond their contracts? Obviously there's Williams but he provides a very specific skillset, we should be looking at a stretch big that can defend.

Then there's the wildcard of Jaylen. If Ainge is seriously contemplating him as a centerpiece to a trade then it never hurts to draft another wing I.E. Okoro. We'll see just on Romeo.

Every year there are scrapheap free agent bigs that can be acquired for peanuts. Nerlens Noel or Christian Wood could have been had for basically free just six months ago. And maybe even again this offseason because teams don't care about bigs. Montrezl Harrell was signed for peanuts. Kanter was peanuts. Theis was peanuts. Bigs aren't valued highly in free agency or in general. Rob Williams fell to 28. You can get bigs whenever you want, you definitely don't need to force yourself to draft one.

Tax Payer MLE isnt going to attract many, especially when a majority of ones worth having will get more than that.

But either way you draft BPA anyways.

Then why could you have had any of the guys I listed for the taxpayer MLE or less this past offseason? These guys are signed every year for peanuts. I'm not saying skip drafting a big, just don't defer to a big.

Christian Wood, Enes Kanter, Nerlens Noel, Richaun Holmes, Javale McGee, Aron Baynes, WCS, DMC all signed for this amount or less in the last couple years. Sure, you aren't getting superstar bigs, but **** them, I'd rather have Nerlens Noel and Enes Kanter each playing 24 minutes, making 1/3rd combined what Embiid is making.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#62 » by 100proof » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:17 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
100proof wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Every year there are scrapheap free agent bigs that can be acquired for peanuts. Nerlens Noel or Christian Wood could have been had for basically free just six months ago. And maybe even again this offseason because teams don't care about bigs. Montrezl Harrell was signed for peanuts. Kanter was peanuts. Theis was peanuts. Bigs aren't valued highly in free agency or in general. Rob Williams fell to 28. You can get bigs whenever you want, you definitely don't need to force yourself to draft one.

Tax Payer MLE isnt going to attract many, especially when a majority of ones worth having will get more than that.

But either way you draft BPA anyways.

Then why could you have had any of the guys I listed for the taxpayer MLE or less this past offseason? These guys are signed every year for peanuts. I'm not saying skip drafting a big, just don't defer to a big.

Christian Wood, Enes Kanter, Nerlens Noel, Richaun Holmes, Javale McGee, Aron Baynes, WCS, DMC all signed for this amount or less in the last couple years. Sure, you aren't getting superstar bigs, but **** them, I'd rather have Nerlens Noel and Enes Kanter each playing 24 minutes, making 1/3rd combined what Embiid is making.

Those players arent giving a 1/3 of what Embiid gives, so that is a bad decision.

Wood for tax payer mle I do that all day every day.
Holmes and Baynes as well.

Noel, meh, not a fan at all. Rather have all of our current centers, McGee chases lebron, WCS is trash, DMC is cooked.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#63 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:34 pm

Nerlens Noel is having an absolutely fantastic season. I would play him 30 minutes a game and the Celtics would have the best defense in the last 15 years. And he'd get like 4 dunks a game and shoot 75% from the field overall. That's my ideal big, does nothing on offense except dunk then can switch from 1-5, cover PnR, do everything defensively. Guys like Embiid that you have to give the ball to 35 times a game and build your entire offense around? Hard pass.

Imagine Smart/Brown/Tatum/Noel/Rob Williams in a lineup designed to stop Giannis.

I agree the Celtics centers are better than those guys. And they were had for less than the MLE.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#64 » by djFan71 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:40 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Then why could you have had any of the guys I listed for the taxpayer MLE or less this past offseason? These guys are signed every year for peanuts. I'm not saying skip drafting a big, just don't defer to a big.

Where do you stand on height as a component of BPA? All things being equal other skillwise, you'd take the taller/longer guy. But when does being 6'7" with a 7' wingspan and a slightly worse shooter (or passer or whatever) still make you a better player available than the 6'0" dude with all the skills?

Or ceiling vs floor? Do you go for the high upside as part of BPA? Or higher likelihood of hitting a lower ceiling?

Esp with the later picks, I lean towards taking some longshots and see if they pan out. Which usually means gambling on a tall, skilled dude with some red flags. Guys like Okpala, Claxton, Jalen McDaniels, THH in the 2nd round last year intrigue me.

Spoiler:
I know 2 were taken right before Edwards, but Brad was talking about hoping Edwards would last to their pick, so I doubt they would have taken either over him. Not trying to make it about those specific guys anyways.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:44 pm

djFan71 wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Then why could you have had any of the guys I listed for the taxpayer MLE or less this past offseason? These guys are signed every year for peanuts. I'm not saying skip drafting a big, just don't defer to a big.

Where do you stand on height as a component of BPA? All things being equal other skillwise, you'd take the taller/longer guy. But when does being 6'7" with a 7' wingspan and a slightly worse shooter (or passer or whatever) still make you a better player available than the 6'0" dude with all the skills?

Or ceiling vs floor? Do you go for the high upside as part of BPA? Or higher likelihood of hitting a lower ceiling?

Esp with the later picks, I lean towards taking some longshots and see if they pan out. Which usually means gambling on a tall, skilled dude with some red flags. Guys like Okpala, Claxton, Jalen McDaniels, THH in the 2nd round last year intrigue me.

Spoiler:
I know 2 were taken right before Edwards, but Brad was talking about hoping Edwards would last to their pick, so I doubt they would have taken either over him. Not trying to make it about those specific guys anyways.

I would take a wing every pick if all else was equal. Definitely lean towards higher ceiling especially when you have so many picks. So take Langford instead of Clarke, even though going into that draft I 100 pct would say Clarke is more likely to have the better career. Has to be someone who is going to be a capable defender in an NBA that is everymore trending towards the perimeter and beyond. I have no room for plodding centers with interesting offensive games. Either shoot the three or you can be reserved for putback dunks and lobs at the rim. Can you set a screen and then roll to the rim? Amazing, you're hired.

Carsen Edwards isn't exactly my kind of player, but it's not hard to see the upside in someone with that shot release and wingspan (despite overall height). Maybe he flops, never hits the NBA three, but if he hits his ceiling that's a really exciting role player to have on the team. And he's probably more likely to hit his ceiling than someone like Claxton, who I would have been good with drafting over Edwards. He should be a menace defensively if nothing else and I have total faith in the Celtics defensive development category. You straight up don't see the floor if you aren't a good defender.

Now if the Celtics were some older team with a limited window and only one draft selection, I'd say just get someone who can fill a role. But that's not even remotely the case. Celtics have the biggest window in the NBA and they make sure they have 3+ draft selections every year.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#66 » by djFan71 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:15 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
djFan71 wrote:

Spoiler:

I would take a wing every pick if all else was equal. Definitely lean towards higher ceiling especially when you have so many picks. So take Langford instead of Clarke, even though going into that draft I 100 pct would say Clarke is more likely to have the better career. Has to be someone who is going to be a capable defender in an NBA that is everymore trending towards the perimeter and beyond. I have no room for plodding centers with interesting offensive games. Either shoot the three or you can be reserved for putback dunks and lobs at the rim. Can you set a screen and then roll to the rim? Amazing, you're hired.

Carsen Edwards isn't exactly my kind of player, but it's not hard to see the upside in someone with that shot release and wingspan (despite overall height). Maybe he flops, never hits the NBA three, but if he hits his ceiling that's a really exciting role player to have on the team. And he's probably more likely to hit his ceiling than someone like Claxton, who I would have been good with drafting over Edwards. He should be a menace defensively if nothing else and I have total faith in the Celtics defensive development category. You straight up don't see the floor if you aren't a good defender.

Now if the Celtics were some older team with a limited window and only one draft selection, I'd say just get someone who can fill a role. But that's not even remotely the case. Celtics have the biggest window in the NBA and they make sure they have 3+ draft selections every year.

Yeah, I'm all about the bolded now as well. Give me high-ceiling wings - esp ones that can shoot and create. To me bonus points for being an oversized scoring wing - KD/Siakam is the dream there. Or tall/long PGs. That's why I wanted NAW... which doesn't look great yet, but it's early - though Langford is a great high upside wing pick, so I'm happy there.

I was bullish on Clarke as well, but at 20 (when we had it) not at 14. Grant's worked out quite nicely. But, do I trade Grant & Edwards for Clarke this year???? Eessh, tough call. I haven't seen enough of Clarke to really stake a claim on it. From what I've read, though, MEM hangs up pretty quickly if Danny made the offer.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:29 pm

Clarke absolutely would have helped the Celtics more this year than Langford, probably Grant Williams too (though Grant is trending way up right now for me). But I'd rather have Grant+Carsen longterm and I'll take the risk that Clarke turns into Shawn Marion.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,999

Post#68 » by 31to6 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:40 am

I’m reading good stuff here but damned if I don’t want us mixing in a Naz Reid here and there more often. Who ironically wasn’t even drafted and pales in the shadow of Tacko, but we just can’t go undersized guard so often (and I say this as a big fan of Waters and Edwards).
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#69 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:06 am

There are some sneaky players in this draft.
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#70 » by Darth Celtic » Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:02 am

Bleeding Green wrote:Clarke absolutely would have helped the Celtics more this year than Langford, probably Grant Williams too (though Grant is trending way up right now for me). But I'd rather have Grant+Carsen longterm and I'll take the risk that Clarke turns into Shawn Marion.

He could, but at 23 already, it's rather unlikely.

I like what 22-23 year old rookies can bring to an already championship type team, but people too often jump the gun on calling them all time greats compared to the rest of the rookie class year one. Well duh, he's older than tatum and about the same as JB.

Remember guys saying we **** up for not taking freaking Thybul? lol.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#71 » by No-Man » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:07 am

Read on Twitter
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#72 » by big-shot-ROB » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:26 am

Fischella wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think we could have both Bolmaro and Alocen in the secound round. Not sure if they even declare.

Alocen played two weeks ago against my hometown team. The guy is good and is superyoung, but I still don't see a clear path for him to be an NBA player.

Edit: I like that you have us grabbing Lewis though.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#73 » by No-Man » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:10 pm

No chance Bolmaro falls to the 2nd round, at least from what I heard, more likely to go top20, and deservedly so

Alocén yeah, but I am not taking that into consideration there, like it says in the tweet, just adapting my Board, I have Alocén top25 personally

Value wise probably not smart to take him there like you said, but I am just that high on him, you can probably move up from 46th (BKN's 2nd) and guarantee you a chance to get him in the 2nd somewhere

Anyway it is not a mock or prediction
big-shot-ROB
Sixth Man
And1: 1,638

Post#74 » by big-shot-ROB » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:48 pm

Fischella wrote:No chance Bolmaro falls to the 2nd round, at least from what I heard, more likely to go top20, and deservedly so

Alocén yeah, but I am not taking that into consideration there, like it says in the tweet, just adapting my Board, I have Alocén top25 personally

Value wise probably not smart to take him there like you said, but I am just that high on him, you can probably move up from 46th (BKN's 2nd) and guarantee you a chance to get him in the 2nd somewhere

Also, I should double check, but I'm sure there's some kind of deal where he is going to play for Zaragoza next year too and then go to Real Madrid. I know with our current roster we can not keep absorbing 3 rookies per year, so stashing Alocén to one of the best Euroleague teams isn't that bad.

Not sure the other teams think the same, so that's why I think there's more value in picking him in the 2nd. Anyway, I haven't seen much of Bolmaro, but Carlos is quite a good fit with his height and vision for what the Cs are trying to construct.
Lewis is another wing body with projectable defense (Stevens is pretty set on not playing rookies who can't defend) that could possibly add 3pt set-shooting if developed.

Some other guys I have been considering would include Bey, Vassell and Tre.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
No-Man
RealGM

Post#75 » by No-Man » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:53 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
Fischella wrote:No chance Bolmaro falls to the 2nd round, at least from what I heard, more likely to go top20, and deservedly so

Also, I should double check, but I'm sure there's some kind of deal where he is going to play for Zaragoza next year too and then go to Real Madrid. I know with our current roster we can not keep absorbing 3 rookies per year, so stashing Alocén to one of the best Euroleague teams isn't that bad.

Not sure the other teams think the same, so that's why I think there's more value in picking him in the 2nd. Anyway, I haven't seen much of Bolmaro, but Carlos is quite a good fit with his height and vision for what the Cs are trying to construct.
Lewis is another wing body with projectable defense (Stevens is pretty set on not playing rookies who can't defend) that could possibly add 3pt set-shooting if developed.

Some other guys I have been considering would include Bey, Vassell and Tre.

Oh Alocén isn't going to the NBA til like 3-4 years from now, that's the idea though, keep the value of the pick without losing it by stashing a guy, since you have so many

Alocén is playing in Real Madrid next season already, that's the plan

I like Bey, Vassell and Tre too, just liked Bolmaro more and they were not available for me later on, but they might in real life come June, so yeah def understand that
winsomme2
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#76 » by winsomme2 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:57 pm

My top players of interest in this draft are Tyrese Maxey, Josh Green, and Saddiq Bey. They are all going to be solid starters IMO and would work well in the Celtics system.

Our biggest needs are interior defense and a stretch big. I like Reggie Perry as a big body and Killian Tillie as a stretch big.

An ideal draft for me right now (if we kept our picks which I know is unlikely) would be:

Tyrese Maxey
Saddiq Bey
Reggie Perry
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#77 » by Homerclease » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:15 pm

31to6 wrote:I’m reading good stuff here but damned if I don’t want us mixing in a Naz Reid here and there more often. Who ironically wasn’t even drafted and pales in the shadow of Tacko, but we just can’t go undersized guard so often (and I say this as a big fan of Waters and Edwards).

I was stanning for that kid hard last year. Dude can flat out ball. Fact he went undrafted is crazy to me but I get that teams were put off by him showing up to the combine out of shape. He puts in the work on his body at this level then he’s gonna be a quality big in this league
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:32 pm

Is this the same fat, slow-footed Naz Reid that tripped over his own feet and fell down in defensive transition and was launching grenades at the rim all game long yesterday? Is it no surprise that Theis had his best game ever when Reid was the big for the Wolves?

But yeah, he's definitely better than a lot of guys who were drafted.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#79 » by Homerclease » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:56 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:Is this the same fat, slow-footed Naz Reid that tripped over his own feet and fell down in defensive transition and was launching grenades at the rim all game long yesterday? Is it no surprise that Theis had his best game ever when Reid was the big for the Wolves?

If Langford went for 19/9 on 7-15 from the floor and 2-5 from deep in his first ever start, this board would be doing backflips talking about how great he is.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Bleeding Green » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:11 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Is this the same fat, slow-footed Naz Reid that tripped over his own feet and fell down in defensive transition and was launching grenades at the rim all game long yesterday? Is it no surprise that Theis had his best game ever when Reid was the big for the Wolves?

If Langford went for 19/9 on 7-15 from the floor and 2-5 from deep in his first ever start, this board would be doing backflips talking about how great he is.

Well yeah because he's a really good defender. I didn't mean to be so rough on Naz, his game just looks really janky for the current NBA to me, especially defensively. Langford would probably be getting 25 minutes a game on the Wolves.

Return to Boston Celtics