ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#681 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Aug 6, 2020 1:46 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:I hated the Kyrie trade. We could have drafted either Shai Gilgeous-Alexander or Michael Porter Jr. instead of a rental of a one-dimensional malcontent. Imagine the next ten years with Brown, Tatum and one of them? That's a potential dynasty. Here's what these two young studs did today

SGA-24-5-2
MPJ-37-12-1 with a steal and a block

it's one thing to pass on Giannis and Gobert, to pass on Jokic and Siakam multiple times, but to fail to see the landscape ahead of you and the incredible draft class that was 2018, the likelihood of a top 10 pick? Then follow that up with a disastrous 2019 draft. Man smh, It's just inexcusable how poor of a talent evaluator Danny is.

We wouldve taken Sexton and you know this. He fits everything that Ainge looks for to a tee.

ha ha exactly. And people would be defending it even today as they watch MPJ put up 30-15 a game after putting up 37-12
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#682 » by djFan71 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 4:14 am

Looking like 14, 25 and 30 at this point. We’d have to go 1-3 to have anyone else but DEN tie/pass us.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,277

Post#683 » by Parliament10 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 7:57 am

djFan71 wrote:Looking like 14, 25 and 30 at this point. We’d have to go 1-3 to have anyone else but DEN tie/pass us.

Looks like we're getting #47, too.

Draft Lottery is on August 25, 2020.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#684 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Aug 6, 2020 9:38 am

MEM has lost 4 straight in the bubble. Hopefully the Blazers can keep it up so that MEM stays out of the playoffs. Any lotto pick for Jeffrey Lin Green is a solid bargain.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,886

Post#685 » by FlatearthZorro » Thu Aug 6, 2020 9:41 am

I really want us to select a big, maybe combine 2 picks into 1 and select a big man. I will lose it if Danny drafts another wing, we at the very least have Brown, Tatum, Langford for the long run, that's 3 dudes. Semi is still there and Hayward, too... We need a legit 6'9 PF or 6'10 or taller center and talented at that. Maybe 14 and 2#(whatever) can(will) get us into the top 10.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,257

Post#686 » by hugepatsfan » Thu Aug 6, 2020 2:07 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:I've really been liking Saddiq Bey the more I've thought about the needs of this roster. The bench absolutely needs shooting and scoring. They need to get a two-way player who is happy to play a role and will be okay not touching the ball every possession. I really like how the Villanova system has translated to the NBA under Jay Wright as well. I think Bey is the safest pick in the draft to be a role player but he doesn't have the ceiling to be an all-star. Here is a quick analysis of Bey:

6'8" 215 lbs with a 6'10" wing. 3 and D wing with versatility on both ends.

16.1 PPG, 4.7 RPG, 2.4 APG on 47.7% FG, 45.1% 3PT, and 76.9% FT. He's an absolutely elite shooter canning 45% on over 5.6 attempts per game.

Great spot up shooter with a quick release. That's literally all we need from a bench player and what we all desperately want Semi to be. Bey has some secondary playmaking skills as well. Versatile defender to guard the 3 and 4 which is what we need of a wing off the bench who won't get killed on defense.

Downside is he doesn't have great burst. Average athleticism and lacks a quick first step when driving to the cup.

Defensively, Bey was one of the better defenders on the perimeter in the Big East this season, with the capability of switching onto 1s or bigger 4s depending on the matchup. His length is a real weapon, and he knows how to use angles well after being coached by Jay Wright. He should turn into a nice role player with starter upside if he keeps shooting at the clip he did in college.

I think he'll get picked anywhere from 15-25. I'm assuming MEM finishes at 14 now so we would likely have to package 26 and 30 to move up to the 20-22 range to pick Bey.

I would LOVE coming out of this draft with Maxey and Bey.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
?s=20

I fear he might be too much of a tweener. Not athletic enough to defend the tougher 3s, not stout enough to defend tougher 4s. That doesn't mean he won't find a role in the NBA. But I just wonder if he's ever someone that will get significant run against the other team's top unit scorers.

I'm just not as sold on the defensive upside as everyone else. I think he'll be a solid defender, solid shooter, but neither well enough to be a huge presence on either end. So Semi-like but not as good on defense and better shooter. Definitely a role for that, but I think you can get a guy who brings that later.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#687 » by djFan71 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 4:01 pm

Anyone have thoughts on Paul Reed? Seems like a possibility at the end of the first rounder. Just going off draft boards: switchable defender, can shoot the 3.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#688 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 2:58 am

djFan71 wrote:Anyone have thoughts on Paul Reed? Seems like a possibility at the end of the first rounder. Just going off draft boards: switchable defender, can shoot the 3.

Depending on how the board shakes out I could see him at 30 but pretty likely he's a 2nd round guy. He reminds me a lot of a Millsap or Taj Gibson. His lean frame though is a problem defending true bigs (which is our issue) since he just gets swallowed up by them.

6'9" 220 lbs with a 7'2" wingspan. Primarily will be guarding 4s but has some lateral quickness to guard perimeter players too.

Not a huge of his offensive game though. Shooting mechanics are pretty funky. Just a really stiff shot not sure how else to describe it. Not a fluid shooter. 74% ft is solid and 33% 3PT is pretty average but I think if he wants to be a contributor off the bench that three ball is going to need to hover around 37%-40%. I'm not a big fan of him in Boston but if he's still there at 30 I could talk myself into but seems pretty redundant on the roster drafting these tweener forwards with average shots.

Overall he's fine. Could see him being a fine role player. Would love him in the 2nd round but at 30 would much rather see Boston take someone else.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#689 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:03 am

Assuming the Memphis pick lands at 14 now, these are my favorite guys (right now) who will likely still be there:

Precious Achiuwa
Tyrese Maxey
Saddiq Bey

The bench desperately needs shooters/scorers which is why I'm high on Maxey and Bey. I personally think Saddiq Bey is the safest pick in the draft and can be an impact 8th-10th man next year off the bench. Maxey has a very high ceiling and can take Wanamaker's minutes. He's a good defender and is a shot maker.

I think Achiuwa can come in Day 1 and contribute right away defensively with his versatility to legitimately guard 1-5 and allows Boston to switch everything with no mismatch. He's a freak athlete. Only concern is his offense where he's incredibly raw and would be just a rim runner until he develops some skill.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#690 » by djFan71 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:55 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
djFan71 wrote:Anyone have thoughts on Paul Reed? Seems like a possibility at the end of the first rounder. Just going off draft boards: switchable defender, can shoot the 3.

Depending on how the board shakes out I could see him at 30 but pretty likely he's a 2nd round guy. He reminds me a lot of a Millsap or Taj Gibson. His lean frame though is a problem defending true bigs (which is our issue) since he just gets swallowed up by them.

6'9" 220 lbs with a 7'2" wingspan. Primarily will be guarding 4s but has some lateral quickness to guard perimeter players too.

Not a huge of his offensive game though. Shooting mechanics are pretty funky. Just a really stiff shot not sure how else to describe it. Not a fluid shooter. 74% ft is solid and 33% 3PT is pretty average but I think if he wants to be a contributor off the bench that three ball is going to need to hover around 37%-40%. I'm not a big fan of him in Boston but if he's still there at 30 I could talk myself into but seems pretty redundant on the roster drafting these tweener forwards with average shots.

Overall he's fine. Could see him being a fine role player. Would love him in the 2nd round but at 30 would much rather see Boston take someone else.

Thanks. That seems to jive with the mocks I've read. If you can get him at 47, even better.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#691 » by djFan71 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 5:01 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:Assuming the Memphis pick lands at 14 now, these are my favorite guys (right now) who will likely still be there:

Precious Achiuwa
Tyrese Maxey
Saddiq Bey

The bench desperately needs shooters/scorers which is why I'm high on Maxey and Bey. I personally think Saddiq Bey is the safest pick in the draft and can be an impact 8th-10th man next year off the bench. Maxey has a very high ceiling and can take Wanamaker's minutes. He's a good defender and is a shot maker.

I think Achiuwa can come in Day 1 and contribute right away defensively with his versatility to legitimately guard 1-5 and allows Boston to switch everything with no mismatch. He's a freak athlete. Only concern is his offense where he's incredibly raw and would be just a rim runner until he develops some skill.

I'm kinda hoping one of:

Aaron Nesmith
RJ Hampton
Patrick Williams
Kira Lewis

Drops to 14. Then any of your or my guys or Jahmi'us Ramsey, Theo Maledon will be there at 24-26. I like Bey & Precious (from reading, not watching) for sure. I think Maxey may be out before we have a chance. If we can get one of the PG and one the (s)wings, that would be a good draft.

Or better yet, combine BOS/MIL and move into the high teens/low 20s and get a better shot at 2 of them.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,426

Post#692 » by Kalela » Fri Aug 7, 2020 7:09 am

That Saddiq Bey kid looks like a good player. If he is available at where the Celtics pick then you take him.
Fire Mazzulla
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#693 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Aug 7, 2020 2:50 pm

djFan71 wrote:Looking like 14, 25 and 30 at this point. We’d have to go 1-3 to have anyone else but DEN tie/pass us.

I thought draft order was locked in by pre-bubble record. So the only hing that could change is if a team jumped in or out of the playoffs they go from in lottery to out.

So even if let's say MEM kept on sucking and got passed by both Portland and Phoenix, they'd still have the #14 slot in the lottery because they're locked in as picking later than whichever of those teams isn't the 8 seed by pre-bubble record.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#694 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:01 pm

If the pick ends up #14 vs #17 that could maybe open us up to trade into the top 10 too.

Just looking on NBA draft net right now, they have C Onyeka Okongwu and G/F Devin Vassell at #8 and #9. Those guys could go earlier though and it's an Obi Toppin or Tyrese Haliburton that falls too.

Could #14, #26, our '21 1st get a team in the top 10 to bite?
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#695 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:15 pm

Here are the players who are likely on the roster next year:

Kemba, JB, JT, Hayward, Their, Smart, Kanter, Timelord, Grant, Romeo is our top 10. They're not going anywhere.

Poirier unfortunately has a guaranteed deal for next year. Edwards also has a guaranteed deal so that's 12. I think Tremont gets a deal too so I see 13 guys. Semi has a team option that could be picked but I think he won't be back.

So at minimum there are going to be 12 guaranteed contracts so Celtics can draft 3 first rounders. I highly doubt they make all 3 picks but maybe they would want to have those rookie contracts for the next few years to help the cap space.

I think 14,26,30 gets you into the top 10 for sure - depending on the trade partner. I wonder who would be the target there. They need a big man and guard/wing who can score. Okungwu or Wiseman if they slipped would be a possibility. I personally would rather sit at 14 and take Precious than trading all of our picks for Okungwu. Devin Vassell will likely be there at 8-10 which is as high as we would get. Obi Toppin if he slips. I'm not as high on the guys projected 5-10 so wouldn't prefer them to trade all 3 picks for one of those players.

I would much rather see them package 26 and 30 and move up to that 20-22 range. Take BPA at 14 (Precious, Maxey, Bey, Cole, Nesmith, Kira Lewis) and then you'll get another prospect in that same tier at 20 as well.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#696 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:20 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:If the pick ends up #14 vs #17 that could maybe open us up to trade into the top 10 too.

Just looking on NBA draft net right now, they have C Onyeka Okongwu and G/F Devin Vassell at #8 and #9. Those guys could go earlier though and it's an Obi Toppin or Tyrese Haliburton that falls too.

I think they can definitely get into top 10 by trading 14,26, and 30. I'd rather have a swing at 2 guys in the first instead of trading all 3 picks for one player but if they really love a prospect I could see that.

I would love Okungwu if they trade up. Not as high on Vassell as I just don't see a huge difference between him and guys who would be there at 14 such as Saddiq Bey.

Toppin is a stud. I just wonder if they would pick him due to his defensive concerns but he can absolutely fill it up which is what they need off the bench.

I just want them to draft a scorer/shooter in this draft. They also need a big man which is why Okungwu is really, really intriguing so I'd be ecstatic with that pick. But, I think the main thing is a guard/wing off the bench who can make shots.

Smart, Kanter, Romeo, Grant, Timelord looks to be our top 5 options off the bench next year. I'm high on Romeo's potential but they're just lacking a legit scorer on that 2nd unit. Imagine the upgrade if they selected Obi Toppin to replace Semi's minutes. Wow!
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#697 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:29 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:If the pick ends up #14 vs #17 that could maybe open us up to trade into the top 10 too.

I think they can definitely get into top 10 by trading 14,26, and 30. I'd rather have a swing at 2 guys in the first instead of trading all 3 picks for one player but if they really love a prospect I could see that.

I would love Okungwu if they trade up. Not as high on Vassell as I just don't see a huge difference between him and guys who would be there at 14 such as Saddiq Bey.

Toppin is a stud. I just wonder if they would pick him due to his defensive concerns but he can absolutely fill it up which is what they need off the bench.

I just want them to draft a scorer/shooter in this draft. They also need a big man which is why Okungwu is really, really intriguing so I'd be ecstatic with that pick. But, I think the main thing is a guard/wing off the bench who can make shots.

Smart, Kanter, Romeo, Grant, Timelord looks to be our top 5 options off the bench next year. I'm high on Romeo's potential but they're just lacking a legit scorer on that 2nd unit. Imagine the upgrade if they selected Obi Toppin to replace Semi's minutes. Wow!

Im so high on Toppin— He has every indicator you could ask for with respect to future offensive development. His defense is suspect, but I’ve seen Stevens turn many mediocre or poor defenders into plus defenders at the next level and trust that he could work his magic with Obi.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#698 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:38 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

Im so high on Toppin— He has every indicator you could ask for with respect to future offensive development. His defense is suspect, but I’ve seen Stevens turn many mediocre or poor defenders into plus defenders at the next level and trust that he could work his magic with Obi.

100% agreed. The thing is on the 2nd unit (minus Kanter), they have really good defenders and it's not like Toppin is a complete traffic cone. They can mask his deficiencies pretty well I think since he's 6'9" with a 6'11" wingspan - it's just issues defending guards in the pick and roll. He just doesn't move well at all laterally on defense.

Obi and Romeo coming as our wings coming off the bench next year would be pretty great in my opinion since both are high level athletes who can slash and get to the rim. Romeo was in the 99th percentile in finishing at IU and I don't have the numbers on Toppin but his 63% FG tells you how great his touch is near the rim.
CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,879

Post#699 » by CelticsPride18 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:39 pm

Obi is Kanter level bad on defense.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#700 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:44 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

100% agreed. The thing is on the 2nd unit (minus Kanter), they have really good defenders and it's not like Toppin is a complete traffic cone. They can mask his deficiencies pretty well I think since he's 6'9" with a 6'11" wingspan - it's just issues defending guards in the pick and roll. He just doesn't move well at all laterally on defense.

Obi and Romeo coming as our wings coming off the bench next year would be pretty great in my opinion since both are high level athletes who can slash and get to the rim. Romeo was in the 99th percentile in finishing at IU and I don't have the numbers on Toppin but his 63% FG tells you how great his touch is near the rim.

Agreed— Toppin doesnt do the best job at dropping his hips, but he’s very athletic and has enough tools that I think he can be developed on that end.

Toppin shot 82.8% at the rim this season— he’s as good as it gets as a finisher, especially considering his volume (52.5% of his shots).

He also stepped up his game vs better competition. During a 3 game stretch vs Georgia, VT and Kansas he averaged 22/7 on 81% TS. He obliterated his conference. He showed touch on floaters. He shot well on two point jumpers (44.1%) and from three (39%). He shot well from the line (70%). He’s going to be an absolute stud.

Return to Boston Celtics