ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#781 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:09 pm

If you are good at drafting, you'll find value, maybe even starters or stars, no matter where you pick. There are very few good drafters in the NBA so quality players fall to late in the first or even second inexplicably all the time. A good G.M. should be able to find three as good if not better, players with our 1st rounders than who they'd take at #8. It's happened every draft Danny has had multiple first rounders in. In each and every case, there were better players still on the board at his later picks than what was taken at #8 in those drafts.

In 2015 if Danny had succeeded in trading four first round picks (two Nets picks who ended up being Jaylen and Tatum) to take Winslow we'd have been screwed. Now, if it was Booker instead of Winslow we'd still have a superstar so not quite as bad. But clearly Danny didn't want Booker. Then later in the draft Danny, despite us needing size, passed on Montrezl Harrell and took R.J. Hunter. Clearly Danny is atrocious at this right?

In 2016 we had #3, #16, #23, #31 and #35. If Danny had been able to trade those last four picks for #8 he could have chosen Sabonis who was taken at #10. But that's assuming Danny liked him which is highly doubtful. But for this exercise let's pretend he did and we trade all those picks to get Sabonis. Golden right? Well, not so fast, because at #16 we could have had LeVert. At #23 we could have had Siakam. At #31 we could have had Zubac. At #35 we could have had Brogdon. Clearly a good drafter would have fared better keeping those picks instead of moving up in the draft. Danny? Not so much lmao.

In 2019 we had the #14, #20, #22, and #33. If we had successfully trade up to #8 we could have had Hayes, Hachimuru, Reddish, or Herro. All of these guys should be starters eventually though likely not stars. But we could have had Sekou at #14, Thybulle or Clarke at #20, Bazley at #22, Bol at #33. Clearly a good drafter would have fared better keeping those picks instead of moving up in the draft. Danny? Not so much lmao.

I promise you there will be a much better package of players available to us at #14, #26, and #30 than the player Danny would choose if he moved up to #8. But he'll likely blow those picks anyway so it really doesn't matter does it? These disastrous drafts keep adding up and killing our future. Blowing draft picks forces Danny to overpay for Horford, make a terrible Kyrie trade, overpay for Hayward, and overpay for Kemba. This will keep us as pretenders instead of forming a dynasty.
jonige94
Senior
And1: 631

Post#782 » by jonige94 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:16 pm

Aaron Nesmith, this team needs desperately needs a shooter that can come down from pin downs and knock down some 3's.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Post#783 » by djFan71 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:55 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:If you are good at drafting, you'll find value, maybe even starters or stars, no matter where you pick. There are very few good drafters in the NBA so quality players fall to late in the first or even second inexplicably all the time. A good G.M. should be able to find three as good if not better, players with our 1st rounders than who they'd take at #8. It's happened every draft Danny has had multiple first rounders in. In each and every case, there were better players still on the board at his later picks than what was taken at #8 in those drafts.

In 2015 if Danny had succeeded in trading four first round picks (two Nets picks who ended up being Jaylen and Tatum) to take Winslow we'd have been screwed. Now, if it was Booker instead of Winslow we'd still have a superstar so not quite as bad. But clearly Danny didn't want Booker. Then later in the draft Danny, despite us needing size, passed on Montrezl Harrell and took R.J. Hunter. Clearly Danny is atrocious at this right?

In 2016 we had #3, #16, #23, #31 and #35. If Danny had been able to trade those last four picks for #8 he could have chosen Sabonis who was taken at #10. But that's assuming Danny liked him which is highly doubtful. But for this exercise let's pretend he did and we trade all those picks to get Sabonis. Golden right? Well, not so fast, because at #16 we could have had LeVert. At #23 we could have had Siakam. At #31 we could have had Zubac. At #35 we could have had Brogdon. Clearly a good drafter would have fared better keeping those picks instead of moving up in the draft. Danny? Not so much lmao.

In 2019 we had the #14, #20, #22, and #33. If we had successfully trade up to #8 we could have had Hayes, Hachimuru, Reddish, or Herro. All of these guys should be starters eventually though likely not stars. But we could have had Sekou at #14, Thybulle or Clarke at #20, Bazley at #22, Bol at #33. Clearly a good drafter would have fared better keeping those picks instead of moving up in the draft. Danny? Not so much lmao.

I promise you there will be a much better package of players available to us at #14, #26, and #30 than the player Danny would choose if he moved up to #8. But he'll likely blow those picks anyway so it really doesn't matter does it? These disastrous drafts keep adding up and killing our future. Blowing draft picks forces Danny to overpay for Horford, make a terrible Kyrie trade, overpay for Hayward, and overpay for Kemba. This will keep us as pretenders instead of forming a dynasty.

I can't wait for an RJ/Bolmaro/Reed draft just to see you brain explode! :)

And, I think that would be a solid draft as well.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#784 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:55 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:
In 2015 if Danny had succeeded in trading four first round picks (two Nets picks who ended up being Jaylen and Tatum) to take Winslow we'd have been screwed.

Wait you can't actually believe he offered both the best Nets picks to trade up from 16 to 9 in that draft right?

themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#785 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:02 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:If you are good at drafting, you'll find value, maybe even starters or stars, no matter where you pick. There are very few good drafters in the NBA so quality players fall to late in the first or even second inexplicably all the time. A good G.M. should be able to find three as good if not better, players with our 1st rounders than who they'd take at #8. It's happened every draft Danny has had multiple first rounders in. In each and every case, there were better players still on the board at his later picks than what was taken at #8 in those drafts.

I love the benefit of hindsight too. I also love that you're acting like it doesn't take two teams to make a trade lol. There'a reason he couldn't trade 14.20,22 to move up to 8 and that's because no team picking in the top 10 wanted to move back that far since last year's draft sucked after the lottery. Also in 2016 they picked guys to stash to preserve cap space. But I know that doesn't fit your narrative either. Don't look at context at all. Ainge is a fine drafter just like the rest of the league.

If you think Horford and Hayward were overpaid you just clearly don't understand how NBA free agency works. Both were top of the market free agents in that summer and it's what the market dictated.

But again, I hate rooting for a team that is one of two teams in the league with a top 5 defense and top 5 offense. Ainge is just a horrendous GM and Stevens is a system head coach. I wish you could take over the basketball operations and drafting since it seems like you'd never miss a pick. You'd be the best drafter in NBA history. I'm surprised nobody has hired you yet tbh.
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,136

Post#786 » by Darthlukey » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:12 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
In 2015 if Danny had succeeded in trading four first round picks (two Nets picks who ended up being Jaylen and Tatum) to take Winslow we'd have been screwed.

Wait you can't actually believe he offered both the best Nets picks to trade up from 16 to 9 in that draft right?

Is it confirmed that the offer included those picks? We had plenty to offer that didn't necessarily include those
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#787 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:16 am

Darthlukey wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

Is it confirmed that the offer included those picks? We had plenty to offer that didn't necessarily include those

According to Zach Lowe, "The Celtics offered four first-round picks for the chance to move up from No. 16 to No. 9: that 16th pick, No. 15 (acquired in a prearranged contingency deal with the Hawks), one unprotected future Brooklyn pick, and a future first-rounder from either the Grizzlies or Timberwolves, per sources familiar with the talks."

So shockingly Ainge actually didn't offer both Nets picks. But again, that wouldn't fit the narrative BostonCouchGM is trying to portray.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#788 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:32 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

According to Zach Lowe, "The Celtics offered four first-round picks for the chance to move up from No. 16 to No. 9: that 16th pick, No. 15 (acquired in a prearranged contingency deal with the Hawks), one unprotected future Brooklyn pick, and a future first-rounder from either the Grizzlies or Timberwolves, per sources familiar with the talks."

So shockingly Ainge actually didn't offer both Nets picks. But again, that wouldn't fit the narrative BostonCouchGM is trying to portray.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/05/18/report-celtics-offered-monster-trade-package-for-justise-winslow-to-pistons-and-heat-not-just-hornets/

"It hasn’t been revealed precisely which picks the Celtics offered"

predictable you'd believe whatever puts Danny in the best light. Because Danny sychopant Zach Lowe would never lie to protect his Danny's image so he could keep getting access...nope. All the rumors at the time were that it was a massive offer that rivaled the Nets trade. We didn't have our own 2017 first (Nets trade) and since the rumors said it was for four first rounders it HAD to include the 2017 Nets pick if was supposedly as strong as the Nets trade was. We know it wasn't the late 2015 pick because that was a terrible draft class and Danny would be embarrassed offering that. But keep defending your boy ha ha ha ha and keep responding to every single post I make.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach

Post#789 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:42 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:

I love the benefit of hindsight too. I also love that you're acting like it doesn't take two teams to make a trade lol. There'a reason he couldn't trade 14.20,22 to move up to 8 and that's because no team picking in the top 10 wanted to move back that far since last year's draft sucked after the lottery. Also in 2016 they picked guys to stash to preserve cap space. But I know that doesn't fit your narrative either. Don't look at context at all. Ainge is a fine drafter just like the rest of the league.

If you think Horford and Hayward were overpaid you just clearly don't understand how NBA free agency works. Both were top of the market free agents in that summer and it's what the market dictated.

But again, I hate rooting for a team that is one of two teams in the league with a top 5 defense and top 5 offense. Ainge is just a horrendous GM and Stevens is a system head coach. I wish you could take over the basketball operations and drafting since it seems like you'd never miss a pick. You'd be the best drafter in NBA history. I'm surprised nobody has hired you yet tbh.

"I also love that you're acting like it doesn't take two teams to make a trade lol."

wtf are on about. I didn't say he was trying to trade up. I said if he had (since we've been discussing the merits of moving up in the draft) he'd have been better off NOT.

and I agree. I absolutely would do a better job than Ainge as G.M. He's won 1 championship in 16 years as G.M. and only because his boy McHale gifted him MVP candidate KG while the Eastern Conference was the weakest it's ever been. One championship to show for it too. Years of terrible drafting. And I get that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit but, it's not hindsight when before the draft you are calling for different players. I'm one of only a couple people that hated Fultz and 99% of this fanbase loved him. I'm one of the only that hated the Kyrie trade that 99% of this fanbase loved. Maybe just maybe I do know a little and am right while everyone is wrong over and over. But that can't be possible because it's so much easier to believe a former player is a better G.M. despite evidence to the contrary.

Now how do you mute people?
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#790 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:45 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
Darthlukey wrote:Is it confirmed that the offer included those picks? We had plenty to offer that didn't necessarily include those

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/05/18/report-celtics-offered-monster-trade-package-for-justise-winslow-to-pistons-and-heat-not-just-hornets/

"It hasn’t been revealed precisely which picks the Celtics offered"

predictable you'd believe whatever puts Danny in the best light. Because Danny sychopant Zach Lowe would never lie to protect his Danny's image so he could keep getting access...nope. All the rumors at the time were that it was a massive offer that rivaled the Nets trade. We didn't have our own 2017 first (Nets trade) and since the rumors said it was for four first rounders it HAD to include the 2017 Nets pick if was supposedly as strong as the Nets trade was. We know it wasn't the late 2015 pick because that was a terrible draft class and Danny would be embarrassed offering that. But keep defending your boy ha ha ha ha and keep responding to every single post I make.

Actually all the rumors at the time was that it was late first round future picks that were being offered, hence why the Hornets declined since it wasn’t the coveted Nets picks. It was rumored 4-6 first rounders.

You said “ two Nets picks who ended up being Jaylen and Tatum”. There is zero evidence that was on the table.
You really think CHA declines the offer if so?

I simply cited Zach Lowe since he’s the only credible reporter I could find that had details. Everyone else just has rumors of 4-6 first round picks. But hey, whatever fits your narrative. You can’t find anywhere that says Ainge offered both Nets picks and you can’t find anywhere that says definitively that he doesn’t. So by your logic, “Ainge offered two nets picks who ended up being Jaylen and Tatum” lmaoooo

But keep hating on everything Celtics and calling Brad a system head coach. Like I said, you should be hired in a front office. You just never miss on any draft picks it’s amazing!
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#791 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:52 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

"I also love that you're acting like it doesn't take two teams to make a trade lol."

wtf are on about. I didn't say he was trying to trade up. I said if he had (since we've been discussing the merits of moving up in the draft) he'd have been better off NOT.

and I agree. I absolutely would do a better job than Ainge as G.M. He's won 1 championship in 16 years as G.M. and only because his boy McHale gifted him MVP candidate KG while the Eastern Conference was the weakest it's ever been. One championship to show for it too. Years of terrible drafting. And I get that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit but, it's not hindsight when before the draft you are calling for different players. I'm one of only a couple people that hated Fultz and 99% of this fanbase loved him. I'm one of the only that hated the Kyrie trade that 99% of this fanbase loved. Maybe just maybe I do know a little and am right while everyone is wrong over and over. But that can't be possible because it's so much easier to believe a former player is a better G.M. despite evidence to the contrary.

Again, if the T Wolves would have drafted anyone but Johnny Flynn that deal wouldn’t look so lopsided. Can you name a better offer the T Wolves received or are you just gonna pull it out of your ass that McHale gave the Celtics a gift?

And you also said the Celtics are a current treadmill team and Brad Stevens is a system head coach who shouldn’t have been extended.

But no you’re right since you hated the Kyrie deal and hated Fultz I think that clearly makes you a better GM than Ainge. I’m honestly shocked you haven’t been hired yet by any team in the league when you nail every pick, contract, and trade every single year. It’s really impressive!

Now why exactly do you post on this board?
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,232

Post#792 » by djFan71 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:18 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

Again, if the T Wolves would have drafted anyone but Johnny Flynn that deal wouldn’t look so lopsided. Can you name a better offer the T Wolves received or are you just gonna pull it out of your ass that McHale gave the Celtics a gift?

And you also said the Celtics are a current treadmill team and Brad Stevens is a system head coach who shouldn’t have been extended.

But no you’re right since you hated the Kyrie deal and hated Fultz I think that clearly makes you a better GM than Ainge. I’m honestly shocked you haven’t been hired yet by any team in the league when you nail every pick, contract, and trade every single year. It’s really impressive!

You're both good posters - keep it non-personal, please.

I can vouch at least for the last few drafts that BCGM isn't making up the picks he wanted to make. I was pretty down on last draft (entire offseason really) as well and wanted some of the same people he did. It's fair game to criticize Ainge's drafting and bring up people you wanted at the time.

But, the McHale gifting thing is hyperbolic and tired. Most I heard was one of the Nets picks in the Winslow deal, and that was never confirmed, that I know. If true, obviously would have been catastrophic. Thanks MJ. Of course, I'm such a trade whore, I was all about it at the time. :)
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,017

Post#793 » by fallguy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:46 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

I hereby bestow you the Humblebum memorial award.

Are you a great pickup player too?
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#794 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:08 pm

djFan71 wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:

You're both good posters - keep it non-personal, please.

I can vouch at least for the last few drafts that BCGM isn't making up the picks he wanted to make. I was pretty down on last draft (entire offseason really) as well and wanted some of the same people he did. It's fair game to criticize Ainge's drafting and bring up people you wanted at the time.

But, the McHale gifting thing is hyperbolic and tired. Most I heard was one of the Nets picks in the Winslow deal, and that was never confirmed, that I know. If true, obviously would have been catastrophic. Thanks MJ. Of course, I'm such a trade whore, I was all about it at the time. :)

I 100% agree. I have zero problems with him criticizing last year's draft and bringing up players he wanted. I do call him out for saying he would "absolutely "do a better job than Ainge as G.M." And I called him out for the McHale-Ainge gifting of KG when that's not accurate. And, just making up that Ainge offered both Nets picks to move up from 16 to 9, despite ZERO evidence saying so. So by his logic, since nobody denied 2 nets picks were included and nobody confirmed that they weren't, he goes on to say Ainge is a moron for offering both picks lol. Then when I cite the only credible reporter I can find with the rumored details, it's tossed out the window because Zach Lowe is apparently a butt buddy of Ainge. You just can't reason with him lol.

I wasn't a fan at all of our draft last year and the whole draft class after the top 10 in general. I liked the Romeo pick and wasn't big on the Grant Williams selection BUT I tend to give the rookies more than 60 games before making final judgements on them lol. I could care less a guy like Bazley had a 24 pts and 8 reb game the other day vs mostly backups. I think 90% of this board would have liked picking Clarke or someone else at 22 instead of Grant.

So I apologize for making it personal but it's exhausting seeing these takes that flame the Celtics no matter what. But, I'm convinced BostonCouchGM is a Nick Wright burner. That's really the only explanation since everything he posts is negative about the Celtics, Ainge, or Stevens.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,521

Post#795 » by snowman » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Drafting is a hit or miss business, esp. picks after the lottery. Could Danny have been more successful ? Sure, but so could have been EVERY other GM in the league. I only consider 1st round picks in this conversation. Every GM passed on players selected with 2nd round picks, so that is another discussion. Danny has done great on players picked in the lottery, has he should have. I do question his drafts in which we have multiple 1st rounders. It's like he gets over whelmed with picking more than 1 player.

2012 Sullinger and Fab Melo
2013 Olynyk (trade)
2014 Smart and Young
2015 Terry Rosier and RJ Hunter
2016 Brown, Yabusele and Zizic
2017 Tatum
2018 R. Williams
2019 Langford, G. Williams and Edwards.

Drafts with 1 1st, he does well. But in drafts that have multiple 1st's are not so good on the later picks at all. In fact none of the players he has drafted with after lottery 1st round picks are even in the league right now. Sullinger, Melo(RIP), Young, Hunter, and Yabusele are all gone, maybe in the GLeague, but still gone. The only exception is Zizic, and I fear that he is on his way back over seas. We will see how 2019 picks play out. I'm very interested to see how this draft turns out. I'm betting if we draft a player with all 3 1st's, the 14th will be a good player, but the last 2 will not be with the team more than 2 years. IMO.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#796 » by themoneyteam2 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:51 pm

I by no means love past 2019 draft for the Celtics but to sit here and say "I would absolutely do a better job than Ainge as GM" is one of the most ludicrous statements made on this board. Even if you think Ainge has sucked at drafting, he's comfortably one of the 15 best GMs in the league. And a random joker sitting on his couch thinks he's better than an NBA GM. It doesn't get more laughable than that honestly.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,060

Post#797 » by Dogen » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:44 pm

Coming on here to rejoice in the best possible scenario we had, which is 14th pick. Yay!

But the last few pages are mostly all about past drafts, what happened, what didn't happen, what could have been with Clarke, etc, blah blah blah.

So, what about 2020? I think Cole Anthony or Kira Lewis might be there at 14 and either one would be a quality addition to shore up our point, add some Kemba insurance and some offensive spark to the second or third unit.

What do y'all think. I tend to fall for bigs in the drafts, but not so excited this year and I think as Rob Williams develops he'll be getting more of those minutes. Point guard on the other hand, after Kemba and Smart the team could use an upgrade. Lewis and Anthony both look like they can solid picks.
Hey you! Can we come together?
brackdan70
RealGM
And1: 8,265

Post#798 » by brackdan70 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:58 pm

“Those that dwell in the past tend to misjudge the future and miss the present”

-Guy in the blue shirt, 1993-
Sign here
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#799 » by SMTBSI » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:18 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:"It hasn’t been revealed precisely which picks the Celtics offered"

So what's funny about this is there was a persistent conspiracy theory peddled by other fanbases that we supposedly leaked an inflated account of what we offered to make Charlotte et al look bad for not taking it. And Ainge got clowned for supposedly doing that to make himself look better, when in reality he was offering a bunch of trash.

Now here you are proposing that the value of the package is being downplayed to make Ainge look better.

I'm not going to weigh in one way or another. I just think it's interesting how totally opposite things can be spun to support the exact same narrative.
jcappy
Sixth Man
And1: 515

Post#800 » by jcappy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:20 pm

Dogen wrote:Coming on here to rejoice in the best possible scenario we had, which is 14th pick. Yay!

But the last few pages are mostly all about past drafts, what happened, what didn't happen, what could have been with Clarke, etc, blah blah blah.

So, what about 2020? I think Cole Anthony or Kira Lewis might be there at 14 and either one would be a quality addition to shore up our point, add some Kemba insurance and some offensive spark to the second or third unit.

What do y'all think. I tend to fall for bigs in the drafts, but not so excited this year and I think as Rob Williams develops he'll be getting more of those minutes. Point guard on the other hand, after Kemba and Smart the team could use an upgrade. Lewis and Anthony both look like they can solid picks.

Agreed to all. Would pick Haliburton, Lewis, and Anthony in that order.
Champions aren't made in the gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them -- a desire, a dream, a vision.
~ Muhammad Ali

Return to Boston Celtics