ImageImageImage

Celtics 2020-21 Roster, Assemble Using Current Info

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Assemble 2020-21 Roster (up to 17 Players) = Assume Keeping "Team Shamrock"

Hayward = Keep on Team
14%
R.Williams = Keep on Team
20%
Poirier = Keep on Team
2%
Theis/Kanter = Re-sign, if financially feasible
16%
Langford, G.Williams, Edwards = Keep Rookies, from 2019-20
13%
Upgrade = Waters & Fall to NBA Roster spots
9%
Green/Wanamaker/Ojeleye = Renew any of,
2%
Draft = # of Rookies (Including Two-Way Contracts)
8%
Trade = if it Brings in an Impactful Player.
16%
Other = Please Explain
2%

Total votes: 255

hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Re: Assemble Celtics 2020-21 Roster, Using Current Info 

Post#81 » by hugepatsfan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:50 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:I'll take a stab at doing a full mock offseason. I've posted variations of this but here I'm going to break it down with all the numbers just so there's more clarity into how I got where I got. Here's our starting point with current contracts and projected draft order:

Yabusele (Dead Money) 1,039,080
Jackson (Dead Money) 92,857
Kemba Walker 34,379,100
Gordon Hayward (Player Option) 34,187,085
Jaylen Brown 23,883,929
Marcus Smart 13,446,428
Jayson Tatum 9,897,120
Enes Kanter (Player Option) 5,005,350
Daniel Theis (Non-guaranteed) 5,000,000
Romeo Langford 3,631,200
#17 Pick (Projected) 3,123,960
Vincent Poirier (Partially Guaranteed) 2,619,207
Grant Williams 2,498,760
#26 (Projected) 2,145,120
Robert Williams 2,029,920
#30 (Projected) 2,040,480
Semi Ojeleye (Team Option) 1,752,950
Carsen Edwards 1,517,981
Jevonte Green (Non-guaranteed) 1,517,981

That's a total of $149,808,508 for 17 players. Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters and Brad Wanamaker are all restricted free agents. #46 pick is not included because there's no guaranteed salary with that. If we choose to roster that player, either an NBA deal or 2-way, then he gets added obviously.

Pre COVID, the salary cap was projected at $115M with the tax line at $139M. After COIVD, a lot of people are projecting a flat cap/tax line. Based on current year numbers that's about $109M cap and $132M tax line.

I should also note that the rookie year salaries are based on projections of the $115M cap. If the cap is held constant those would be adjusted down slightly.

First thing I would do is coordinate an opt out and extend with Hayward. He opts out of his deal and re-signs for 3 years, $84.24M. This tacks on 2 years at a little more than $25M/year to his current deal. I think that's the type of incentive it would take for him to opt out. Keeping him on a 3 year deal lines him up to expire with Kemba so it helps coordinate future flexibility. His '20-21 salary on this deal would be $26M. If you replace his salary above with the new number, our team payroll is now $141,621,423.

Next thing I do is waive Jevonte Green. Nothing against him. Just a roster spot and luxury tax crunch. Our new payroll is now $140,103,442.

Next move I make it to salary dump Enes Kanter. He has played well in a small role here but that salary is hurting us in getting under the tax.Just a financial decision. My trade is Kanter and #30 to POR for #44 (they have a trade exception to complete the deal). It's going to be tough to find teams willing to take on salary but I think this works. This also removes the cap hold of #30 from the books. Like with #46 in our starting point, #44 does not count for now. Our new payroll is now $133,057,612.

Next move I make is declining the option on Semi Ojeleye. He's a solid player at a solid cost but it's just a numbers crunch. With him off the books our new payroll number is now $131,304,662.

Continuing down the numbers crunch I am going to move on Vincent Poirier. His salary is just too high for his role. He's included above at his full $2.6M salary, but only $1,476,615 is guaranteed. Also, we currently have #26 with the associated cap hold. I propose a deal of #26 along with Poirier to CHA for #31 along with a future second rounder. We only move down 5 spots and shed Poirier's guarantee in the process. Our new payroll number is now $126,540,335.

I never mentioned our #17 pick but I will project that we take Kira Lewis Jr., the PG from Alabama. He's a sophomore but still young. He projects well in Stevens' system and is a good candidate to groom to take over for Kemba.

In addition to the #17 pick we now have #31, #44 and #46. Those don't count on the payroll yet. I will project that we take Kira Lewis Jr. at #17, Mamadi Diakite at #31, Jordan Nwora at #44, and Yves Pons at #46.

That payroll of $126,540,335 is made up of the following 11 players and picks:

Kemba / Lewis Jr. / Edwards
Brown / Langford
Hayward / Smart
Tatum / G. Williams
Theis / R. Williams

I didn't include the second rounders because they don't have guaranteed salaries. I would project that we sign #31 (Diakite) and #44 (Nwora) to the active roster. The minimum salary for next year is $946,543. So add two of them in at that number and our payroll is up to $128,433,421.

Next I'm going to pursue a veteran addition. Mason Plumlee has been backing up Jokic in DEN but we can offer him a bigger role. He fits Stevens' scheme well and I think should be able to bring the same quality of minutes Kanter brought this year. His veteran minimum with 7 years in the league projects to be $2,291,063. Add that in and our new payroll is now $130,724,484.

That gets us up to 14 players. Since we're in a crunch to stay under the tax I am going to stop there. We also have two two-way deals with 3 candidates in Tremont Waters, Tacko Fall and our #46 pick. I'm thinking someone will offer Waters an NBA deal and just don't think we can match that. Maybe we move Edwards to do so. Basically you can swap them in or out. So the 2 way guys will be Fall and #46.

Our final roster ends up as:

Kemba / Lewis Jr. / Edwards
Brown / Langford
Hayward / Smart / Nwora
Tatum / G. Williams
Theis / Plumlee / R. Williams / Diakite

If the tax line holds at $132M we have some wiggle room under it to pursue buyout guys on pro rated minimum deals when the time comes after the trade deadline. Comparing this rotation to the one we have been using this year.

Kanter -> Plumlee. More a lateral change than anything. And we save money. Don't think this moves us up or down much.

Ojeleye -> Langford. After being sparingly used as a rookie we're now opening the door for Langord to play a consistent rotation role. He showed the defensive chops to hack it on that end and it's not like Semi brought much offense to replace.

Wanamaker -> Lewis. Jr. The bar isn't set that high here. You can definitely see rookie struggles for a PG but I just didn't have the luxury tax headroom to add a vet. Would have loved to. Hopefully Lewis can at least be passable as a rookie which isn't a ton to ask. We'll likely pursue veteran options here at the buyout deadline or maybe Edwards makes a year 2 leap. Smart can always play more PG as well, particularly in the playoffs when rotations are shortened. Langford is a better ball handling option than Semi as well, to further reduce the burden.

Langford -> Nwora. I have Langford "graduating" to Semi's role so Nwora takes over his. He's a 3&D type wing who should be able to hold his own as an upperclassman coming out the same way Semi did as a rookie when called upon.

Poirier -> Diakite. Trade one 4th big man for another. Diakite is a developmental guy who could play a role similar to Daniel Theis on the offensive and defensive end.

Green -> No one. I left the 15th spot open to start the year to help the numbers crunch.

I don't imagine anyone will look at this rotation and be super pumped. It's not flashy. But I think it accomplishes a key objective of making the Tatum/Brown/Kemba/Hayward/Smart core financially feasible for the next 3 years. The bench is a little light but honestly. come playoff time we'll be in 7 and 8 man rotations so that becomes of minor importance. By staying under the tax this year we set ourselves up to not have to pay the repeater tax while Kemba/Hayward are on the team. That means next year we can start getting aggressive with the MLE and really turn it up a notch.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Re: Assemble Celtics 2020-21 Roster, Using Current Info ~ (Pre-2019-20 Playoffs) 

Post#82 » by Ernest » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:20 am

Higgs Boston wrote:This team is really flawed and needs to select a contender model, especially in structure and salary.

1. If we want to play with 4 perimeter players we need a starting C that can protect the rim and is an elite defender. then we would need to trade:
- Smart: kemba, brown, tatum, hayward, Center.
- Kemba: Smart as starter PG.
- Hayward: Smart as a starter SG.
2. If we want to play with 3 perimeter players and a versatile PF-C that can play as C or can help the C, then we need to trade
- Smart: Hayward would be the sixth man and real starter, this would be like the warriors.
- Hayward: same structure.
- Kemba: in this case I don't think is a good idea because we would need 3 scorers.

I think I would trade Smart, he is a sixth man that is a defensive player instead of a offensive player like almost all contenders, that happens because offensive perimeter players are more expensive and contenders try to get cheap defensive players like the rockets with tucker (mle). This isn't a problem if we were able to get good rookies or a cheap scorer from the bench but the cap space and situation make it really difficult. It's not realistic but more probable to expect that Smart becomes a consistent two way player, if that happens this wouldn't a problem to build a contender, but right now Smart with his contract, profile and level is more like a defensive starter SG than a sixth man for a contender.

Of course the ideal thing is that we can get a starter C or PF-C in the draft or in a minor trade but that likely will not happen.

I'll be so upset if we trade Smart. He makes the games so much more fun to watch.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#83 » by Ernest » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:26 am

At some point we need to be able to attract old vets/ring chasers. Thats where a huge value is. vet min contract guys who have a lot of experience and talent. Think how many guys like that we had with the KG big 3: Brown, Cassell, Marbury, Shaq, JO just to name a few.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,056

Post#84 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:52 am

Kemba/Smart
Brown/Langford
Tatum/?
Hayward/?
? /Theis/Rob

To me that's pretty much it.. Use your picks and your younger guys to plug in that bench and upgrade the starting C spot. Get some shooting and some vet help and you are good to go. This is a win now core and Danny needs to move accordingly..there's no point in filling out the bench with G leaguers, rookies and Euro trash anymore.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#85 » by ParticleMan » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:24 pm

G: Kemba, Smart, Waters, Carsen
Wing: Brown, Langford, JGreen
Swing: Tatum, Hayward, GWill
Big: Theis, RWill, Poirer/Tacko

plus 2 draft picks, there's your 15-man. Tacko and Vince in a cage match for the 15th spot, my money's on Senegal. 3rd draft pick gets a 2-way.

Moving on from Semi and Enes. Too bad about Enes, I like that guy, but we need what Timelord brings.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Re: Assemble Celtics 2020-21 Roster, Using Current Info ~ (Pre-2019-20 Playoffs) 

Post#86 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:49 am

Ernest wrote:
Higgs Boston wrote:This team is really flawed and needs to select a contender model, especially in structure and salary.

1. If we want to play with 4 perimeter players we need a starting C that can protect the rim and is an elite defender. then we would need to trade:
- Smart: kemba, brown, tatum, hayward, Center.
- Kemba: Smart as starter PG.
- Hayward: Smart as a starter SG.
2. If we want to play with 3 perimeter players and a versatile PF-C that can play as C or can help the C, then we need to trade
- Smart: Hayward would be the sixth man and real starter, this would be like the warriors.
- Hayward: same structure.
- Kemba: in this case I don't think is a good idea because we would need 3 scorers.

I think I would trade Smart, he is a sixth man that is a defensive player instead of a offensive player like almost all contenders, that happens because offensive perimeter players are more expensive and contenders try to get cheap defensive players like the rockets with tucker (mle). This isn't a problem if we were able to get good rookies or a cheap scorer from the bench but the cap space and situation make it really difficult. It's not realistic but more probable to expect that Smart becomes a consistent two way player, if that happens this wouldn't a problem to build a contender, but right now Smart with his contract, profile and level is more like a defensive starter SG than a sixth man for a contender.

Of course the ideal thing is that we can get a starter C or PF-C in the draft or in a minor trade but that likely will not happen.

I'll be so upset if we trade Smart. He makes the games so much more fun to watch.

This team needs Smart's leadership. A lot of them are nice and responsible guys, but not as fiery, driven or tough as one would wish. Smart leads them to be more so.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#87 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 4:46 pm

ParticleMan wrote:G: Kemba, Smart, Waters, Carsen

plus 2 draft picks, there's your 15-man. Tacko and Vince in a cage match for the 15th spot, my money's on Senegal. 3rd draft pick gets a 2-way.

Moving on from Semi and Enes. Too bad about Enes, I like that guy, but we need what Timelord brings.

My team outlook isn't too far from yours.
I just don't want Hayward back. I'd keep Kanter, and not so sure that Green will stick around to play 3rd Unit again.

Proposed Rotation, 2020-21:
Kemba - Brown - Tatum - (????) - Theis
[Waters] - Smart - Langford - G.Williams - R.Williams/(Kanter)
[Waters] - (Rookie) - Edwards - Poirier - Fall

Maine Red Claws = (Rookie), (Rookie)
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Elrod is Back
Starter
And1: 2,241

Post#88 » by Elrod is Back » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:43 pm

I assume Kanter and Hayward pick up their options for 20-21, or if Hayward opts out it is to sign an extension with the Cs, with a lower starting salary to keep the Cs out of the luxury tax in 20-21.

I assume the Cs are plenty young as is; there is no crying need to being in more rookies in 20-21 unless the player is a total stud. This means the Cs have incentive to draft and stash their three first rounders. Trading 2020 picks for future no. 1 picks is not much of an option because this is not considered an especially strong draft. So draft international guys or Americans willing to play overseas for a year or two or three.

I assume the Cs will be contenders in 20-21 with their existing roster. I base this on the idea that Tatum will be a top 10 player in the game--good enough to be the best player on a championship team--and that Brown, Hayward and Walker will be all-star caliber.

I assume Theis and Smart will both continue to play as they have and possibly improve. The chemistry for the first six should be excellent.

I am OK with filling out the rest of the 15 man roster with guys already on the team. I am fine with Kanter, Fall, Poirier and Time Lord providing back-up 5 minutes. I think the jury is out on all three of the kids, and there is a decent chance one of the three will prove a productive rotation player as soon as next season.

I am OK with Grant Williams and Ojeleye/Green picking up the frontcourt minutes left over after Tatum, Hayward (and Brown and Smart) take their cuts. I am far from an Ojeleye fan, but he is functional in a pinch. I am interested to see how Grant Williams develops. I think he can improve in his second year, possibly quite a bit.

For the backcourt minutes after Walker, Brown and Smart take their cuts, I am fine with having Edwards, Langford, Wanamaker and Waters fight it out. I am most interested in seeing what Langford and Waters can do in year 2. I think they have the talent to become good players, and even contribute next year off the bench.

To make the current 17 players under contract turn into 15, right now I'd dump one of Ojeleye and Green and one of Wanamaker and Edwards. If Edwards rediscovers his game, he isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

if we do want to drop more of these guys and get some new blood, I think we go the grizzled veteran route. Get some ring-chasers on one-year deals who are willing to play a reduced role. This team has all the youth it can handle for the time being.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#89 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Jul 8, 2020 9:53 pm

I think a veteran really worth looking at on a 1 yr deal with a 2nd yr team option for small money is Marvin Williams. Sure he's 35 but he's in good shape. He can still shoot and score in the post. Danny has always loved him and Kemba obviously knows him well. At 6'9, he'd be a solid backup for like 15mpg.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#90 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 6:16 am

This seems the most logical layout to me.

And in terms of being contenders it seems like we got a #2 guy in Tatum, #3 in Kemba, a good #4 in Brown. Hayward we'll find out this playoffs if his body can handle that kind of physicality. He showed up and down ability to do it last playoffs but he's got a full year off and months of rest before this playoffs... it should be his best.

I just think this team is kinda in that mold of a Clippers roster without a Kawhi.

Of course it's really difficult to find one, but still.

The problem is we'll have FIVE draft picks going into this draft. We don't want to waste them all again drafting someone who will "stash" like the Dancing Bear. And worst of all they'll all be pretty low draft picks (MEM, MIL, BOS). Then 2 second rounders.

No one wants those draft assets and yet we need to consolidate somehow.

I would hesitate to play Theis anywhere other than Center. He's excelled as a fantastic defender at that position and didn't shine at al when we played him at PF with Horford. If you can't shine next to Horford you probably won't shine next to any other Center in the league. So I'm keeping Theis at Center at all costs.

And with Hayward coming off his contract it doesn't look like he's available to trade. I just don't know how we consolidate this pu pu platter into one good rotation player.

The only salary we have to trade is Smart, and unless you're getting one hell of a big man you're unlikely to trade Smart and late firsts and feel happy with it.

I think the most likely case is Danny draft Euro stashes that are essentially the same thing as drafting trash that never comes over.

Once again we got **** so hard by MEM. It really **** sucks. Between IT's injury, Hayward's injury, MEM somehow playing great, SAC somehow playing great.... any other GM would have a bottom 5 team with all that horrific luck. We would probably have a championship without all this horrible luck. Just **** cursed into a second round fodder praying for god like luck (something like a Siakam out of nowhere) to make up for it now.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#91 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 6:29 am

The only trade I see possible for a team that's dumb enough is something like

Carsen Edwards, the 24th pick, the 30th pick, one of our 3 second rounders to ORL for the 15th overall pick

We'd get value alone from that consolidating our roster issue.

Then we could use the 15th and 17th pick to take swings on bigs.

And our playable rotation would be

Kemba/Smart
Brown/Langford
Hayward/ someone
Tatum/ pick?/ G will
Theis/ pick? / Maybe Timelord stays healthy and steps it up

But I mean even for ORL that's pretty dumb. But that's like... as I was looking at it our best hope for a dumb team to let us consolidate our assets.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#92 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Jul 9, 2020 1:20 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:

And in terms of being contenders it seems like we got a #2 guy in Tatum, #3 in Kemba, a good #4 in Brown. Hayward we'll find out this playoffs if his body can handle that kind of physicality. He showed up and down ability to do it last playoffs but he's got a full year off and months of rest before this playoffs... it should be his best.

I just think this team is kinda in that mold of a Clippers roster without a Kawhi.

The problem is we'll have FIVE draft picks going into this draft. We don't want to waste them all again drafting someone who will "stash" like the Dancing Bear. And worst of all they'll all be pretty low draft picks (MEM, MIL, BOS). Then 2 second rounders.

I would hesitate to play Theis anywhere other than Center. He's excelled as a fantastic defender at that position and didn't shine at al when we played him at PF with Horford. If you can't shine next to Horford you probably won't shine next to any other Center in the league. So I'm keeping Theis at Center at all costs.

And with Hayward coming off his contract it doesn't look like he's available to trade. I just don't know how we consolidate this pu pu platter into one good rotation player.

The only salary we have to trade is Smart, and unless you're getting one hell of a big man you're unlikely to trade Smart and late firsts and feel happy with it.

I think the most likely case is Danny draft Euro stashes that are essentially the same thing as drafting trash that never comes over.

Once again we got **** so hard by MEM. It really **** sucks. Between IT's injury, Hayward's injury, MEM somehow playing great, SAC somehow playing great.... any other GM would have a bottom 5 team with all that horrific luck. We would probably have a championship without all this horrible luck. Just **** cursed into a second round fodder praying for god like luck (something like a Siakam out of nowhere) to make up for it now.

Interesting. My main takeaway from this post is that you do not believe the hype on Tatum becoming the best player on a championship team. You think he never gets to that level.

celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#93 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 8:35 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

Interesting. My main takeaway from this post is that you do not believe the hype on Tatum becoming the best player on a championship team. You think he never gets to that level.

For that to happen I think he needs to become as good of a shooter of Curry or Durant.

And when it comes to Durant he's much taller and much more athletic which allowed him to do things like guard LeBron in the Finals without any difficulty. It is much harder for Tatum to match that level based on his physical profile even if he had Durant's tools in his bag.

I see Tatum right now more of a Paul George than Durant level player (mental makeup aside, Durant became a weakling there after losing in the Finals but was a killer before then and hated the idea of players like LeBron going to MIA to take the easy road).

I could see Tatum being the "best" player in the sense if you got him say a Paul George on this team and you just say he's the best.

Something like a

Kemba
Brown
Paul George
Tatum

Can be good enough to win a ring. But put a Kawhi at the SF instead and then we'd be the Warriors. Not just contenders but favorites.
Higgs Boston
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,625

Post#94 » by Higgs Boston » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:49 am

We should try to get Trier, he can become an useful player to get points from the bench.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#95 » by Floody100 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:42 am

Porier & a second round pick should get us Zion shouldn’t it ?
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#96 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:31 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

For that to happen I think he needs to become as good of a shooter of Curry or Durant.

And when it comes to Durant he's much taller and much more athletic which allowed him to do things like guard LeBron in the Finals without any difficulty. It is much harder for Tatum to match that level based on his physical profile even if he had Durant's tools in his bag.

I see Tatum right now more of a Paul George than Durant level player (mental makeup aside, Durant became a weakling there after losing in the Finals but was a killer before then and hated the idea of players like LeBron going to MIA to take the easy road).

I could see Tatum being the "best" player in the sense if you got him say a Paul George on this team and you just say he's the best.

Something like a

Kemba
Brown
Paul George
Tatum

Can be good enough to win a ring. But put a Kawhi at the SF instead and then we'd be the Warriors. Not just contenders but favorites.

Yikes. So your standard is for Tatum to get to the level of certainly the best shooter of this generation and arguably, of all time. That's a high bar man. Sheesh, you're tough.

celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#97 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:37 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

Something like a

Kemba
Brown
Paul George
Tatum

Yikes. So your standard is for Tatum to get to the level of certainly the best shooter of this generation and arguably, of all time. That's a high bar man. Sheesh, you're tough.

Being the best player on a championship team is tough.

Notice the last decade was just two teams playing against each other.

You have to be an MVP level player. And not a media jerk off contest one like Nash or DRose.

But yeah Tatum doesn't have PG like skills and generall the best player on their team has that kind of skills in the current version of the game.

Unless we see a return of a big man in the NBA get it done.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#98 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:47 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

Something like a

Kemba
Brown
Paul George
Tatum

You have to be an MVP level player. And not a media jerk off contest one like Nash or DRose.

I won't argue with your overall point. Just asking him to get to that level of shooting is a tough ask IMO. Keep in mind though he's still only 22. The guys you're comparing him to are approaching or are in their 30's. They are in the prime of their careers. Tatum is 4 years away from that. And his numbers compare favorably to KD at the same age. You're saying "put a Kawhi next to him and we're contenders". I think that goes for most teams when you put Kawhi on that team.

Overall, this playoff run I expect to tell us a lot about this team. About the roster makeup, about its core, its mental toughness, and about its leaders. There is still so much we do not know about the team we have because of its youth because of the constant injuries and because of Covid. I'm looking forward to learning more during the restart.

celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#99 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:07 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:

I won't argue with your overall point. Just asking him to get to that level of shooting is a tough ask IMO. Keep in mind though he's still only 22. The guys you're comparing him to are approaching or are in their 30's. They are in the prime of their careers. Tatum is 4 years away from that. And his numbers compare favorably to KD at the same age. You're saying "put a Kawhi next to him and we're contenders". I think that goes for most teams when you put Kawhi on that team.

Overall, this playoff run I expect to tell us a lot about this team. About the roster makeup, about its core, its mental toughness, and about its leaders. There is still so much we do not know about the team we have because of its youth because of the constant injuries and because of Covid. I'm looking forward to learning more during the restart.

Well in the interest of clarity.

I said put Paul George on this team and we're contenders, put Kawhi on this team and we're favorites.

Basically due to Tatum being Paul George esque.

So on that team people could contrive him to be the best player on a championship team, but it wouldn't be clear cut.

And again to be fair without the worst luck in the league a healthy Gordon Hayward may have been close enough.
2Mas
Head Coach
And1: 3,996

Post#100 » by 2Mas » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:16 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

My team outlook isn't too far from yours.
I just don't want Hayward back. I'd keep Kanter, and not so sure that Green will stick around to play 3rd Unit again.

Proposed Rotation, 2020-21:
Kemba - Brown - Tatum - (????) - Theis
[Waters] - Smart - Langford - G.Williams - R.Williams/(Kanter)
[Waters] - (Rookie) - Edwards - Poirier - Fall

Maine Red Claws = (Rookie), (Rookie)

There is no way Hayward is not on the team next year.

Return to Boston Celtics