ImageImageImage

Coronavirus/COVID-19

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,910

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19 

Post#1601 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:03 pm

Green89 wrote:The Steph Curry hosted Q&A with Dr. Fauci starts now!

https://www.instagram.com/stephencurry30/?hl=en

How do you watch it?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,651

Post#1602 » by Green89 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:04 pm

Parliament10 wrote:

How do you watch it?

Starts at 1 actually. You have to follow Steph's Instagram to watch it.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1603 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:06 pm

Green89 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

How do you watch it?

OK. Yeah, I see it's at 1PM, EST/ 10AM PST
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
watsonthedragon
Sixth Man
And1: 2,289

Post#1604 » by watsonthedragon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:07 pm

Green89 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

How do you watch it?

Damn so no way to watch if you're not on IG? My wife keeps telling me to get one and get with the times. In reality I'm only 29 and somehow just missed the IG train...
5InOfLouisville
Senior
And1: 818

Post#1605 » by 5InOfLouisville » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:10 pm

I think its really cool to see Steph trying to make a difference and spread information.

I'm a fan of public figures who try to use their visibility to advocate for what they believe in.

Unless of course I personally disagree, in which case, keep it to yourself.
KGboss wrote:Brown doesnt need you to clean his jock strap for him

Captain_Caveman wrote:You are perfectly welcome to never read or respond to my posts ever again. I don't find you particularly knowledgeable or insightful from anything I have read to date.

:cry:
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1606 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:11 pm

watsonthedragon wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:How do you watch it?

Damn so no way to watch if you're not on IG? My wife keeps telling me to get one and get with the times. In reality I'm only 29 and somehow just missed the IG train...

Get with the Times, Kid!!! :lol:
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1607 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Is there validity in this?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1608 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Wow.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,651

Post#1609 » by Green89 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:39 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I saw that he also said they need to still be tested for accuracy, and that only health care professionals should be using them. Looks like no Amazon Prime for them yet. :(
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1610 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#1611 » by jmr07019 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:44 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

As I understand it yes. The link gant posted a few pages back to the dr ho interview mentions that these would be a huge help.
Show Love Spread Love
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1612 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:50 pm

Yesterday, is a Memory – Good Night

Today, is a Gift – Good Morning!!!

Tomorrow, is Not Promised – Good Luck . . .

~ Jayson Tatum
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,023

Post#1613 » by Bad-Thoma » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:50 pm

jirrit wrote:"Right, but you don't need to test everyone. You test a percentage of the population and extrapolate that to draw reasonable conclusions. This allows you to plan for the severity and duration of the action that needs to be taken."

=>But that just doesn't make sense? You simply can't ever do this. Say you test 10% of the people in New York with all kinda ages. Let's say New York counts 10 districts with 200 inhabitants. To make it statisticaly fair you take 20 people out of every district. Out of district A these 20 people tested everyone's negative. A few houses away lives a big family with two persons having corona without symptoms, without getting tested. Your test says, well district A is the most safe. You can still go to work but wash your hand etc. What happens in district A? I'm also talking about the stages now. If we were in the beginning of the outbreak testing could make A LOT more sense offcourse.

You simply cannot ever do this in the current situation were in. This is a pandemic. If one person gets it he gives it to 2-3 others. And so further on. It's simple maths because right now there are 10 thousands of people infected. We are this far that you cannot anymore extrapolate or use time or money to find out where the 'hot places' are because you are gonna neglect other places, simply because it currently is everywhere, believe me.

"we can't simply lock everything down forever"

Well it's simple, if you don't do it, it will live on and everyone will get it. In the end we'll get immune to it and science will have discovered a medicine for it. 100,000's will die because the health system will collapse extremely. All medical personnel wil get it. Normal things like cancer, regular flu, diabetic people etc won't get the care they need and so on and so on.

"Again, I totally agree with you that everyone should behave responsibly and that testing doesnt magically make everything better, but it an important step in acquiring knowledge and developing a proactive and evolving plan for combating COVID"

Now tell me. What you gonna do if you get 10% tested and the results. What knowledge do you need? What is the solution? The countries stated here are China (I dont believe a lot what comes out of there) and like Singapore (https://time.com/5802293/coronavirus-covid19-singapore-hong-kong-taiwan/), where people were so disciplined to stay away from eachother, and started the testing EARLY. That's the big point of everything here. If you have 50 cases you just start isolating everyone and testing as much people as possible, to indeed find places where it's hot, but it's approximately 2-3-4 weeks too late to do this in the US guys.

Getting tested now would give you a false feeling of safety. Assume you have it and stay inside till the end of april. From then on maybe things could start getting a bit better.

*edit: ignoring this because 'the economy needs it' is only making things worse and make the lock-out longer. Here in Belgium they closed all restaurants and pubs two weeks ago. They published it on thursday that on friday midnight all pubs would be closed. Well what happened? People held lockdown party's on friday night. What happens now? Young people who attended these lockdown party's are at intensive care because they risked their life drinking and having fun with young people who all looked healthy at the moment. Solution here would be getting everyone tested but that's logistically impossible, yet they should have all stayed inside and swallowed the bitter pill. Now it only makes things worse because these lockdown party victims also made other victims by their wreckless behaviour. And so on and so on.

I agree with about 99% of what you wrote here, other than still thinking more and faster testing, ala S. Korea, needs to be a priority. Science and logistics need data in order to function.

You're absolutely right that people should be acting like they already have it, but people are going to people. Rand Paul is an example, someone who should know better, got tested, and was acting completely normal while he awaited test results, going to a gym, a pool, etc. While I don't agree with him on a lot of things I know he isn't a moron, he just did what people do, assumed it can't happen to him. It's one example but it's a valid example of how fast testing might have stopped him from being a spreader a few days earlier. People being willing to self police IS more important but it needs to be in combination with efficient testing and eventually treatment and inoculation.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,724

Post#1614 » by Slax » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:46 pm

jirrit wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
jirrit wrote:Just a question after reading in threads all around this forum. Why is everyone so focused on getting test kits to know if you have it or not? People, just assume you have it and stay inside. There are way too many people who have it without showing symptoms. It’s of no help to know if you have it now because if you go outside the second you found you havent got it, you should test yourself again..... Endless circle that makes no sense.

Aside from Pacino's valid examples it's a matter of accurate assessment of the situation so the medical community can react and can learn and prepare for the inevitable future epicenters. It's not so much that everyone needs to be tested either but the shortages faced and slow turnaround time of the testing kits in the U.S. are exacerbating the spread. If a country with less resources like S.Korea can produce a million tests with a 15 minute turnaround time in a day it just highlights how poorly and frustratingly this is going. In general I agree people need to act like they have it where possible, it is the essence of the social distancing, it just needs to be combined with faster and more available testing to maximize it's effectiveness.

Its also so widespread, what do you get out of tests? Prove that its widespread indeed but we kinda know that already.

This method would work but only if 100,0000% would get a test otherwise it’s worth Nothing. This is never gonna happen. Getting tests for like 25% of the American population is already an utopy. This is just basic maths.

I dont think y’all realise how wide spread this already is. Only solution is to act like y’all have it. Do you think you can even reach 25% of the population to get tested? Let’s say you get the positives out of these 25%. What do you do with the untested 75% others?

Only thing that can work is quarantine the positives from that 25% list, quarantine the 75% untested and let the negatives out of the 25% tested free and run everything?

Besides for planning purposes, another major purpose of widespread testing is to identify asymptomatic carriers who have had contact with confirmed COVID-19 cases. eg, if you have a COVID-19 patient, you can track down their recent contacts (family, coworkers, etc) and have them get tested, and that informs which of them need to self-quarantine in order to avoid spreading the virus. Right now there aren't enough tests to do that, and they also take too long to run to act on quickly enough for that information to be incredibly useful anyway. It's true that that is not going to help as much in a city like New York right now where most cases are going to be from community spread instead of known contacts, but that probably isn't the case for much of the rest of the US right now.
Slax
Assistant Coach

Post#1615 » by Slax » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:53 pm

5InOfLouisville wrote:
theman wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:Good article to read if you enjoy being upset at politicians:

https://m.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2020/mar/24/gov-tate-reeves-orders-limited-gatherings-today-ex/

The first paragraph should suffice in angering you.

To clarify, From Friday to Tuesday, the known cases in MS tripled.
Tuesday evening, MS Gov Tate Reeves responds by undercutting social distancing measures under the cover of advocating for personal freedom.

But aren't people always complaining that Republicans are authoritarians? Pick a lane people.

And weren't we supposed to keep politics out of this thread? Maybe someone should start a "Politics of Corona" thread.

I don't make it a habit to make sweeping generalizations about democrats or republicans. I think its counterproductive. I, personally, am an independent who is fairly disgusted by both parties.

Note that I did not mention the governor's political affiliation. It doesn't matter if he is dem or repub. his actions are stupid.

I did not mention political affiliation solely for the purpose of not offending anyone. Yet, you found a way to be offended.

It is impossible to discuss the scope of the COronavirus without discussing the actions that we, as a country, are taking to combat it, and those actions are largely influenced by policy...which is created by politicians.

I've always been of the mind that if a Republican does or says something stupid, you call it out. The exact same would apply to a dem or an independent or a Whig or whatever....

I don't care how one labels one's self. I wish that membership to one of 2 political parties WASN'T a major criteria that most people used to define themselves. In my mind, it doesn't help anything.

I wasn't trying to offend you. But I stand by what I said. I pointed to one person whose behavior I find abhorrent. I'm not making a characterization about Republicans or White people or guys named "Tate". Just this one guy. If you disagree with me, tell me about it, and I will consider your opinion.

To back you up on this, I want to point out that there are Republican governors who are taking this seriously and deserve to be commended for their efforts. Governor DeWine of Ohio for example has gotten ahead of the crisis by taking early and bold steps to enforce social distancing. This is absolutely not a partisan issue. Things are really scary here in New York, and I don't want to see any state going through the same **** we're going through here.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#1616 » by Parliament10 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:56 pm

Gov. Cuomo, of New York, is on live.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#1617 » by KGboss » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:04 pm

Slax wrote:
5InOfLouisville wrote:
theman wrote:
But aren't people always complaining that Republicans are authoritarians? Pick a lane people.

And weren't we supposed to keep politics out of this thread? Maybe someone should start a "Politics of Corona" thread.

I don't make it a habit to make sweeping generalizations about democrats or republicans. I think its counterproductive. I, personally, am an independent who is fairly disgusted by both parties.

Note that I did not mention the governor's political affiliation. It doesn't matter if he is dem or repub. his actions are stupid.

I did not mention political affiliation solely for the purpose of not offending anyone. Yet, you found a way to be offended.

It is impossible to discuss the scope of the COronavirus without discussing the actions that we, as a country, are taking to combat it, and those actions are largely influenced by policy...which is created by politicians.

I've always been of the mind that if a Republican does or says something stupid, you call it out. The exact same would apply to a dem or an independent or a Whig or whatever....

I don't care how one labels one's self. I wish that membership to one of 2 political parties WASN'T a major criteria that most people used to define themselves. In my mind, it doesn't help anything.

I wasn't trying to offend you. But I stand by what I said. I pointed to one person whose behavior I find abhorrent. I'm not making a characterization about Republicans or White people or guys named "Tate". Just this one guy. If you disagree with me, tell me about it, and I will consider your opinion.

To back you up on this, I want to point out that there are Republican governors who are taking this seriously and deserve to be commended for their efforts. Governor DeWine of Ohio for example has gotten ahead of the crisis by taking early and bold steps to enforce social distancing. This is absolutely not a partisan issue. Things are really scary here in New York, and I don't want to see any state going through the same **** we're going through here.
The population density for you guys is also much different than what the rest of us are dealing with. I'm in CT and I can distance here with my family but in the city I cant imagine. But denser spots here such as waterbury, bridgeport, new haven, and hartford, and a lot of towns close to the city are getting slammed right now....but like my town theres maybe 5 positive tests after almost 10 days of testing here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,236

Post#1618 » by djFan71 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:05 pm

jirrit wrote:Just a question after reading in threads all around this forum. Why is everyone so focused on getting test kits to know if you have it or not? People, just assume you have it and stay inside. There are way too many people who have it without showing symptoms. It’s of no help to know if you have it now because if you go outside the second you found you havent got it, you should test yourself again..... Endless circle that makes no sense.

I agree everyone should act like they have it.

But, I don't agree that you can never test enough. We are NOWHERE near it now. But, there are home pregnancy tests in every pharmacy. Every rom com movie has the couple buying 12 varieties to test at home. If you can get to a point like that where you can test everyone regularly, you can know who can go to work, instead of telling everyone to stay home indefinitely. You can test health care workers daily. Anyone who has symptoms can test themselves. If a new strain comes out, you get an updated signature to test with and stay ahead of things.

In the interim before that, like others have said. People KNOWING they are positive is a lot more impactful than telling people to think they are positive. That certainty will drive better behavior.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#1619 » by KGboss » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:14 pm

Well we just passed Italy for second most reported cases and we are about 7000 away from passing China.

And mostly just NYC getting slammed.

For people in the city are you guys thinking of leaving or staying in place? I'd imagine society wise staying and riding it out is probably best case scenario...but idk.

Scary.

Slax
Assistant Coach

Post#1620 » by Slax » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:36 pm

KGboss wrote:Well we just passed Italy for second most reported cases and we are about 7000 away from passing China.

And mostly just NYC getting slammed.

For people in the city are you guys thinking of leaving or staying in place? I'd imagine society wise staying and riding it out is probably best case scenario...but idk.

Scary.

If my wife weren't a doctor, I would have seriously considered taking my wife and son to Boston to stay with my parents and self-isolating for 14 days in their spare bedrooms with zero face-to-face contact, more because I think the strain on the health care system is going to be so bad in New York that it puts everyone at greater risk of receiving inadequate medical care. I think we're less likely to see such a huge strain on hospitals in Boston because people are already social distancing earlier in the growth curve. Even in New York I wouldn't be especially afraid of catching anything from the community here if my whole family were staying indoors 24/7.

But my wife is a doctor and needs to be here for this crisis. She will be working in her hospital up until she gets sick, which is VERY likely to happen, and at that point there's a fair chance it could spread to the rest of the family even though she is doing her best to avoid bringing anything into the house and self-isolating whenever possible. It's scary, but taking care of people is why she went to med school. She can't abandon the people in this city now, and there's no way I would force her to.

Return to Boston Celtics