ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10, sully00, djFan71

BostonCouchGM
Starter
Posts: 2,213
And1: 1,574
Joined: Jun 07, 2018

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1021 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:25 am

well, at least that hot stretch got him an all-star berth. He's now reverted to being the guy I've found overrated all this time who absent wide open threes is just a JAG. If Jaylen Brown is your 2nd best player you aren't winning jack.
Objectivity
Ballboy
Posts: 16
And1: 14
Joined: Feb 14, 2021

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1022 » by Objectivity » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:36 am

Jaylen will forever be inconsistent because his game relies too much on athleticm. He lacks basketball IQ on both ends. If he is injured, shut him down for weeks. Jaylen’s ceiling may be what we saw the first half of the season. I understand why the media and fans love him off the court. He appears to be a great person. He does not pass the eye test of a team first player. He is our best trade asset to get a great player. Jaylen is good, not great.
Celticfan_N_FL
Starter
Posts: 2,349
And1: 494
Joined: Jan 29, 2010
       

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1023 » by Celticfan_N_FL » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:38 am

The idiotic takes are coming after this game. Oh boy.

Sent from my LM-V600 using RealGM mobile app
Floody100
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,615
And1: 2,033
Joined: Oct 21, 2018
 

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1024 » by Floody100 » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:21 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:well, at least that hot stretch got him an all-star berth. He's now reverted to being the guy I've found overrated all this time who absent wide open threes is just a JAG. If Jaylen Brown is your 2nd best player you aren't winning jack.


You never fail to amaze me ...
Openheimer
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,501
And1: 758
Joined: Dec 01, 2020

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1025 » by Openheimer » Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:51 am

Apparently his max potential is better then harden according to Ainge
Powesknees
Ballboy
Posts: 21
And1: 17
Joined: Dec 29, 2019
   

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1026 » by Powesknees » Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:48 am

Objectivity wrote:Jaylen will forever be inconsistent because his game relies too much on athleticm. He lacks basketball IQ on both ends. If he is injured, shut him down for weeks. Jaylen’s ceiling may be what we saw the first half of the season. I understand why the media and fans love him off the court. He appears to be a great person. He does not pass the eye test of a team first player. He is our best trade asset to get a great player. Jaylen is good, not great.


this is about how i feel. Im still holding out some hope because he has made some great strides this year but hes never passed the eye test for me. i hope he proves me wrong though.
bucknersrevenge
Head Coach
Posts: 7,112
And1: 7,875
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1027 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:49 pm

Objectivity wrote:Jaylen will forever be inconsistent because his game relies too much on athleticm. He lacks basketball IQ on both ends. If he is injured, shut him down for weeks. Jaylen’s ceiling may be what we saw the first half of the season. I understand why the media and fans love him off the court. He appears to be a great person. He does not pass the eye test of a team first player. He is our best trade asset to get a great player. Jaylen is good, not great.


Jaylen is inconsistent because he is 24. He's inconsistent because this team doesn't have enough veteran leadership he can learn from. We are the 5th youngest team in the league and we look to a 24 and a 22 year old to lead us. There are going to be growing pains. That is the reality. If I could, I would take the Jay's, Smart, Pritchard, and Rob and replace everyone else with a veteran guy over the age of 26 and see what the difference would be but we can't. The biggest area where we lack it is in the primary ballhandling space. Kemba and Teague. With all respect, those two were bad choices as leaders of a young team. This team needed a Chris Paul type or even a Rajon Rondo type. Someone who will walk in the door with a presence. Kemba is an excellent teammate but in the end he's always going to be deferential to these young guys who have accomplished more than he has in their career. Same with Teague. There's nothing those two can teach them. This team needs another Smart but with the actual experience to back up what he's saying. I honestly think Jaylen is doing the best he can under the circumstances and I'm pretty proud of his growth this season. Better days are coming for him as long as he continues to work and Danny does his job.
I am the RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. Playa-hater, 31to6, thank you for having my back fam. I still say we haven't seen the last of Tacko.
Objectivity
Ballboy
Posts: 16
And1: 14
Joined: Feb 14, 2021

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1028 » by Objectivity » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:24 am

Brown puts up stats in an embarrassing loss. Proceeds to stay on court and hug multiple Cav’s players.
Brown plays shaky in an embarrassing loss to the Nets and immediately storms off the court.

Brown’s body language during timeouts and half time is just off. It has been off all year. I have been giving him the benefit of the doubt because of his knee.
Streaming services that show what happens when the cameras are off is eye opening. I understand Brown may have a knee issue but he has been far too distant in ALL timeouts.

He rarely sits or engages. I am not a proponent of firing Brad but THIS has bothered me all season. THIS is where a player’s coach or respected Veteran would help this team snap some players out of ME mode. Chemistry counts...

I am by no means suggesting anyone should be all smiles like Kemba. Ideally, I wish everyone had the body language of Smart. He has brought amazing energy even with the cameras off. I’m not expecting Brown to bring that level of energy..however I have not seen any “star” player be as distant as Brown during huddles.
We can’t keep using youth as an excuse. He’s a valuable asset to get a star player that fits better...
Floody100
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,615
And1: 2,033
Joined: Oct 21, 2018
 

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1029 » by Floody100 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:25 am

As much as I don’t want to, I’ll admit it I wish we traded Brown for Harden.
We’re starting to see Rob shine. Just imagine how dominant he would be with The Beard.
User avatar
moonie_mcgee
Junior
Posts: 353
And1: 228
Joined: Mar 12, 2021
       

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1030 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:31 pm

I think his ceiling would be how he played earlier this season and his prime would be that ceiling on a consistent basis. Nothing wrong with that.
That's the Way of the World
BK_2020
Starter
Posts: 2,480
And1: 2,273
Joined: Sep 08, 2020
   

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1031 » by BK_2020 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:49 pm

moonie_mcgee wrote:I think his ceiling would be how he played earlier this season and his prime would be that ceiling on a consistent basis. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah no, Jaylen's ceiling is not shooting 70% on long mid-range shots.
User avatar
moonie_mcgee
Junior
Posts: 353
And1: 228
Joined: Mar 12, 2021
       

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1032 » by moonie_mcgee » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:34 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
moonie_mcgee wrote:I think his ceiling would be how he played earlier this season and his prime would be that ceiling on a consistent basis. Nothing wrong with that.

Yeah no, Jaylen's ceiling is not shooting 70% on long mid-range shots.


:lol: ya I hear you but isn't a ceiling the max extent of something.
IMO Jaylen's early, all-star earning performance was the best we can expect from him.
That's the Way of the World
User avatar
jmr07019
Head Coach
Posts: 6,740
And1: 5,462
Joined: Oct 29, 2009
       

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1033 » by jmr07019 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:02 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Objectivity wrote:Jaylen will forever be inconsistent because his game relies too much on athleticm. He lacks basketball IQ on both ends. If he is injured, shut him down for weeks. Jaylen’s ceiling may be what we saw the first half of the season. I understand why the media and fans love him off the court. He appears to be a great person. He does not pass the eye test of a team first player. He is our best trade asset to get a great player. Jaylen is good, not great.


Jaylen is inconsistent because he is 24. He's inconsistent because this team doesn't have enough veteran leadership he can learn from. We are the 5th youngest team in the league and we look to a 24 and a 22 year old to lead us. There are going to be growing pains. That is the reality. If I could, I would take the Jay's, Smart, Pritchard, and Rob and replace everyone else with a veteran guy over the age of 26 and see what the difference would be but we can't. The biggest area where we lack it is in the primary ballhandling space. Kemba and Teague. With all respect, those two were bad choices as leaders of a young team. This team needed a Chris Paul type or even a Rajon Rondo type. Someone who will walk in the door with a presence. Kemba is an excellent teammate but in the end he's always going to be deferential to these young guys who have accomplished more than he has in their career. Same with Teague. There's nothing those two can teach them. This team needs another Smart but with the actual experience to back up what he's saying. I honestly think Jaylen is doing the best he can under the circumstances and I'm pretty proud of his growth this season. Better days are coming for him as long as he continues to work and Danny does his job.


This! You don’t win in the NBA if your best players are under 25. Everyone needs to take a deep breathe and enjoy the ride. We’re just getting started
Show Love Spread Love
Floody100
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,615
And1: 2,033
Joined: Oct 21, 2018
 

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1034 » by Floody100 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:33 am

What today told me was a Brown for KAT trade doesn’t get us any further than where we are now & is as sideways as it comes.
Hal14
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,777
And1: 1,000
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1035 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:39 am

Openheimer wrote:Apparently his max potential is better then harden according to Ainge

Not necessarily. I think that is a long term move by Ainge. Let's say both players really start to decline in ability at age 33. In essence Ainge is saying he'd rather have 9 years of Brown over 2 years of Harden.
Gomes3PC
Head Coach
Posts: 7,443
And1: 3,356
Joined: Feb 10, 2006

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1036 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:59 am

Jaylen, last 10:

23 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 49/42/73 shooting.

What a bum.

Jaylen is all the things we complained Jeff Green wasn't.
Hal14
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,777
And1: 1,000
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1037 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:07 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Jaylen, last 10:

23 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 49/42/73 shooting.

What a bum.

Jaylen is all the things we complained Jeff Green wasn't.

Not bad at all, especially considering:

a) He's got a teammate who's averaging 29 PPG over the last 10 games. 24 is actually really high for a guy with a teammate averaging 29.

b) Brown is playing with a sore knee

c) Brown has picked up his defensive intensity, especially these past 4 or 5 games

Who's a better no. 2 guy in the NBA right now?

AD/LeBron? They're both hurt.

Harden/Durant? Harden is hurt, so technically the Nets no. 2 guy right now is Irving, who missed their last game due to "personal reasons"

Paul George? I see him vs Brown as debatable. I'd have to really break the numbers down. I see George/Tatum/Brown/Mitchell kind of on the same tier. Right now I'd probably rank them Mitchell/Tatum tossup and barely behind them Brown/George tossup. George might be slightly better, but Brown is obviously much younger and George is also known to be more injury prone and also known to choke in the playoffs.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1038 » by The Comedian » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:25 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:Jaylen, last 10:

23 PPG, 6.5 RPG, 49/42/73 shooting.

What a bum.

Jaylen is all the things we complained Jeff Green wasn't.

Not bad at all, especially considering:

a) He's got a teammate who's averaging 29 PPG over the last 10 games. 24 is actually really high for a guy with a teammate averaging 29.

b) Brown is playing with a sore knee

c) Brown has picked up his defensive intensity, especially these past 4 or 5 games

Who's a better no. 2 guy in the NBA right now?

AD/LeBron? They're both hurt.

Harden/Durant? Harden is hurt, so technically the Nets no. 2 guy right now is Irving, who missed their last game due to "personal reasons"

Paul George? I see him vs Brown as debatable. I'd have to really break the numbers down. I see George/Tatum/Brown/Mitchell kind of on the same tier. Right now I'd probably rank them Mitchell/Tatum tossup and barely behind them Brown/George tossup. George might be slightly better, but Brown is obviously much younger and George is also known to be more injury prone and also known to choke in the playoffs.


I’d have Jaylen in the Middleton/Murray (well until he just tore his ACL) range for #2 guys, which is a very good player. He’s a pretty sizable step behind PG/Mitchell/Tatum, as of now. He should surpass George within a couple of years though

He has looked MUCH more explosive the last few weeks, I know they had him questionable a couple of times, but I don’t think his knee is much of an issue anymore.
playa-hater
Analyst
Posts: 3,053
And1: 3,071
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1039 » by playa-hater » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:06 am

Jaylen Brown > Kobe :D :D :D
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens
User avatar
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
Posts: 13,615
And1: 33,308
Joined: Nov 05, 2017

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1040 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:39 am



Jaylen bested Pierce (81.3%) and Bird (80.0%) in FG% scoring at least 40+ among Celtics players since 1983. I believe he's the first Celtic to score 40+ on 85%+ FG%.

Return to Boston Celtics