ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10, sully00, djFan71

bucknersrevenge
Head Coach
Posts: 7,112
And1: 7,875
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1081 » by bucknersrevenge » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:27 pm

Floody100 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:I don't think Jaylen has peaked. However, because he's an athlete playing basketball, instead of a basketball player who is a great athlete, he lacks innate natural feel that really can't be improved. I think you either have it or you don't. His upside has always been limited by his low BBIQ and handle. While his offense has certainly improved, he's no longer one of the better two-way players due to the major step back his defense has taken. Just bringing that back up to the slightly above average level he used to be while maintaining this offense would have him crack the top 30 with ease. Of course, young developing players will improve and maybe overtake him so maybe not. I don't think Brad does him any favors though. While the system does afford Jaylen more wide open looks than most good players get, it doesn't put him in position to utilize his physical gifts enough. Jaylen's could be a great #3. Like Bosh for MIA, Love in CLE, Klay in GS, Allen with the Big Three. But he's not a #2 like Wade, Kyrie, Steph or Pierce were for those teams and the problem is the majority of this fanbase believes he is which makes us "haters" feel the need to check them constantly.


He’s already a top 30 player though ?
You make some decent points but a big reason why he gets easier looks is because of his improved handles & footwork. He’s 24, you’ve made assumptions about him for a while now & been proven wrong every time. Stop continually make the same mistake.


Yeah there are some decent points made in the above post here. What I'm curious about is what the effect on his game would be if we were to retain Fournier next year as a starter next to him and JT. Would Jaylen be any more likely to reconsider 2-3 less stubborn drives into double and triple teams to force up terrible shots or turnovers in favor of a kick out to a guy he trusts to make a shot. To me that would be a big difference. Two less drives a game where he doesn't force something stupid and I'd be pretty pleased. Plus newsflash: this has been a horrible year for consistency in the rotation. If next year, we can get a core 7 or so GOOD, reliable guys that can be relatively injury and obviously Covid-free would that consistency help him build trust to make plays? Or would he just still do what he's gonna do. This is a question I need answered before I make my next assessment.
I am the RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. Playa-hater, 31to6, thank you for having my back fam. I still say we haven't seen the last of Tacko.
Pelly24
Analyst
Posts: 3,667
And1: 2,527
Joined: Aug 02, 2016
     

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1082 » by Pelly24 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:34 am

I don't want to put a ceiling on Jaylen because he's surprised me frequently in the past. I will say, we should appreciate that he can be a 25 ppg guy on good efficiency and he can shoot and at his best he can defend. I think that's someone who is probably worth the max anywhere and he's only what? 24 turning 25? With his sturdy build and his continually improving scoring skillset, he's got to have one of the best contracts in the league. Any team could use him. I don't see an innate feel for the game, though. No elite instincts and he's not very fluid with the ball.
24istheLAW
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,495
And1: 4,495
Joined: Jul 09, 2012
     

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1083 » by 24istheLAW » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:32 pm

Pelly24 wrote:I don't want to put a ceiling on Jaylen because he's surprised me frequently in the past. I will say, we should appreciate that he can be a 25 ppg guy on good efficiency and he can shoot and at his best he can defend. I think that's someone who is probably worth the max anywhere and he's only what? 24 turning 25? With his sturdy build and his continually improving scoring skillset, he's got to have one of the best contracts in the league. Any team could use him. I don't see an innate feel for the game, though. No elite instincts and he's not very fluid with the ball.


That's where I'm at. I've posted a lot on this board in the past, about him lacking the potential to be a good third star, or the potential to be an efficient scorer. He's proved me wrong so frequently that at this point I'm just gonna shut up and see how he does.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1084 » by The Comedian » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:15 pm

Jaylen is averaging 24.6/6.8/2 in April, on a 66% (!!) TS. It’s been his lowest usage month of the season, by a lot. Using him more as a player finisher instead of initiator, and his efficiency has shot back up, and fast. The offense has benefitted from the adjustment as well.

Losing 2 of 3 games sucks, but I think they can get the 4th or 5th seed and still be careful with his shoulder. Need him healthy going into the playoffs, that’s more important than the 4th seed versus 5th.
playa-hater
Analyst
Posts: 3,053
And1: 3,071
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1085 » by playa-hater » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:36 pm

The Comedian wrote:Jaylen is averaging 24.6/6.8/2 in April, on a 66% (!!) TS. It’s been his lowest usage month of the season, by a lot. Using him more as a player finisher instead of initiator, and his efficiency has shot back up, and fast. The offense has benefitted from the adjustment as well.

Losing 2 of 3 games sucks, but I think they can get the 4th or 5th seed and still be careful with his shoulder. Need him healthy going into the playoffs, that’s more important than the 4th seed versus 5th.


Unless I am mistaken, isn't it his left shoulder? as a shooter it is no where near as bad as the right and I think come playoffs he will be able to over come regardless.
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1086 » by The Comedian » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:48 pm

playa-hater wrote:
The Comedian wrote:Jaylen is averaging 24.6/6.8/2 in April, on a 66% (!!) TS. It’s been his lowest usage month of the season, by a lot. Using him more as a player finisher instead of initiator, and his efficiency has shot back up, and fast. The offense has benefitted from the adjustment as well.

Losing 2 of 3 games sucks, but I think they can get the 4th or 5th seed and still be careful with his shoulder. Need him healthy going into the playoffs, that’s more important than the 4th seed versus 5th.


Unless I am mistaken, isn't it his left shoulder? as a shooter it is no where near as bad as the right and I think come playoffs he will be able to over come regardless.


Yeah it is, but still don’t want to risk him making it worse, or injuring something else because he is overcompensating. I think he will be fine in the playoffs, partially because they are being super cautious with him.
Objectivity
Ballboy
Posts: 16
And1: 14
Joined: Feb 14, 2021

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1087 » by Objectivity » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:38 pm

When Jaylen’s shot is not falling what else does he bring to the game?? Youth should never be an excuse for not playing team basketball. Star players have that extra something they bring to the game. His style of play could also lead to more nagging injuries. He just does not have IT.

I always remember the Scottie Pippen interview when Jaylen asked what it takes to win a champion. Scottie mentioned something like “be a star in your role” Jaylen’s reaction in that interview came across as if that was not the answer he wanted to hear.

Jaylen would have a longer more inspiring career in a star role player role. If the push is for Jaylen to be a star #1 or #2 option, please trade now. I’m fine with Jaylen averaging 10-12 unforced open shots a game. Get other shooters like PP and Fournier more shots and long term confidence in the rhythm of the offense.

Would Jaylen sacrifice his shot attempts to get back to focusing on defense? NO...This is where I’m torn on whether it’s Brads fault or if it’s a player issue.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1088 » by The Comedian » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:41 pm

I think that’s an overreaction to one bad game. He’d been playing much better in April, and doing so in a smaller role.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1089 » by The Comedian » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:05 am

Averaging 25/6/3 on a 60% TS since the all star break. Usage has been down a bit from the first half, and they use him to initiate the offense less, as the assists are down to 2.6 in that time. I was calling for that earlier in the season, he’s still going to score the same amount, but using him as more of a play finisher than initiator has only helped him, and the offense.

His defensive effort tonight was AWESOME, as well.
Hal14
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,777
And1: 1,000
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1090 » by Hal14 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:12 am

I just looked it up.

Here's how many times each player has dropped 38+ points on back to back nights this season:

Jaylen Brown = 1
Zion Williamson = 1
Luka Doncic = 0
Nikola Jokic = 0
Steph Curry = 0
Bradley Beal = 0
Jayson Tatum = 0
James Harden = 0
Kyrie Irving = 0
LeBron James = 0
Giannis = 0
Joel Embiid = 0
Kawhi Leonard = 0
Donovan Mitchell = 0
Devin Booker = 0
Damian Lillard = 0
Zach Lavine = 0
Trae Young = 0
Kevin Durant = 0
Paul George = 0
Karl-Anthony Towns = 0
Russell Westbrook = 0
Nikola Vucevic = 0
De'Aaron Fox = 0
Lamelo Ball = 0
Gordon Hayward = 0
Anthony Davis = 0
Collin Sexton = 0
CJ McCollum = 0
Brandon Ingram = 0

It's only been done twice all year. Once by Brown and once by Zion. Not too shabby..
bucknersrevenge
Head Coach
Posts: 7,112
And1: 7,875
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1091 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:36 pm

Hal14 wrote:I just looked it up.

Here's how many times each player has dropped 38+ points on back to back nights this season:

Jaylen Brown = 1
Zion Williamson = 1
Luka Doncic = 0
Nikola Jokic = 0
Steph Curry = 0
Bradley Beal = 0
Jayson Tatum = 0
James Harden = 0
Kyrie Irving = 0
LeBron James = 0
Giannis = 0
Joel Embiid = 0
Kawhi Leonard = 0
Donovan Mitchell = 0
Devin Booker = 0
Damian Lillard = 0
Zach Lavine = 0
Trae Young = 0
Kevin Durant = 0
Paul George = 0
Karl-Anthony Towns = 0
Russell Westbrook = 0
Nikola Vucevic = 0
De'Aaron Fox = 0
Lamelo Ball = 0
Gordon Hayward = 0
Anthony Davis = 0
Collin Sexton = 0
CJ McCollum = 0
Brandon Ingram = 0

It's only been done twice all year. Once by Brown and once by Zion. Not too shabby..


This is really much ado about nothing really but Steph has done this twice just during this month.
I am the RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. Playa-hater, 31to6, thank you for having my back fam. I still say we haven't seen the last of Tacko.
Hal14
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,777
And1: 1,000
Joined: Apr 05, 2019

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1092 » by Hal14 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:55 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
Hal14 wrote:I just looked it up.

Here's how many times each player has dropped 38+ points on back to back nights this season:

Jaylen Brown = 1
Zion Williamson = 1
Luka Doncic = 0
Nikola Jokic = 0
Steph Curry = 0
Bradley Beal = 0
Jayson Tatum = 0
James Harden = 0
Kyrie Irving = 0
LeBron James = 0
Giannis = 0
Joel Embiid = 0
Kawhi Leonard = 0
Donovan Mitchell = 0
Devin Booker = 0
Damian Lillard = 0
Zach Lavine = 0
Trae Young = 0
Kevin Durant = 0
Paul George = 0
Karl-Anthony Towns = 0
Russell Westbrook = 0
Nikola Vucevic = 0
De'Aaron Fox = 0
Lamelo Ball = 0
Gordon Hayward = 0
Anthony Davis = 0
Collin Sexton = 0
CJ McCollum = 0
Brandon Ingram = 0

It's only been done twice all year. Once by Brown and once by Zion. Not too shabby..


This is really much ado about nothing really but Steph has done this twice just during this month.

No he hasn't.

What I'm saying is that when Jaylen and Zion did it, they did it on BACK TO BACK NIGHTS, which is far more difficult than being able to do it with a day off to rest in between games and you have less time to prepare for the 2nd opponent..

Curry scored 38+ points in back to back games twice, but those games were on 4/10 ands 4/12...4/12 and 4/14 and 4/17 and 4/19. None of those are back to back nights..
bucknersrevenge
Head Coach
Posts: 7,112
And1: 7,875
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1093 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:27 pm

Hal14 wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
Hal14 wrote:I just looked it up.

Here's how many times each player has dropped 38+ points on back to back nights this season:

Jaylen Brown = 1
Zion Williamson = 1
Luka Doncic = 0
Nikola Jokic = 0
Steph Curry = 0
Bradley Beal = 0
Jayson Tatum = 0
James Harden = 0
Kyrie Irving = 0
LeBron James = 0
Giannis = 0
Joel Embiid = 0
Kawhi Leonard = 0
Donovan Mitchell = 0
Devin Booker = 0
Damian Lillard = 0
Zach Lavine = 0
Trae Young = 0
Kevin Durant = 0
Paul George = 0
Karl-Anthony Towns = 0
Russell Westbrook = 0
Nikola Vucevic = 0
De'Aaron Fox = 0
Lamelo Ball = 0
Gordon Hayward = 0
Anthony Davis = 0
Collin Sexton = 0
CJ McCollum = 0
Brandon Ingram = 0

It's only been done twice all year. Once by Brown and once by Zion. Not too shabby..


This is really much ado about nothing really but Steph has done this twice just during this month.

No he hasn't.

What I'm saying is that when Jaylen and Zion did it, they did it on BACK TO BACK NIGHTS, which is far more difficult than being able to do it with a day off to rest in between games and you have less time to prepare for the 2nd opponent..

Curry scored 38+ points in back to back games twice, but those games were on 4/10 ands 4/12...4/12 and 4/14 and 4/17 and 4/19. None of those are back to back nights..


Ohh I see what you were saying now. Okay then.
I am the RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. Playa-hater, 31to6, thank you for having my back fam. I still say we haven't seen the last of Tacko.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1094 » by The Comedian » Sat May 1, 2021 4:02 am

Jaylen is in the midst of his best defensive stretch of the season the last couple of games.

Love that him struggling offensively didn’t hurt his defense, that had been a problem in the past.
Objectivity
Ballboy
Posts: 16
And1: 14
Joined: Feb 14, 2021

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1095 » by Objectivity » Mon May 3, 2021 2:58 am

Jaylen is a low IQ defender as well. He occasionally decides to bring a little effort when his shot is falling. What does he consistently bring when his shot is not falling? I have been waiting all season. This is not a reaction to one game.

I always thought Jaylen had the potential early on to be an elite role player. NOW his ego will not allow him to have a game where he only takes 10-12 shots. If the push is to have Jaylen be a #1 or #2, other elite high IQ star players will never want to play here. Now that he’s getting older and his play style is more injury prone, the clock is ticking on getting the best trade value.

If Brown is the second best player on the team for the next years, the team will just be average.
User avatar
The Comedian
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,144
And1: 35,425
Joined: Jun 25, 2006
       

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1096 » by The Comedian » Mon May 3, 2021 3:20 am

Good thing he’s an efficient high volume scorer on a pretty consistent basis then.

I think he’s probably more great number three than a two, but he’s doing the best he can.
playa-hater
Analyst
Posts: 3,053
And1: 3,071
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1097 » by playa-hater » Mon May 3, 2021 3:43 am

I think there is only one poster who doesn't think J Brown is an excellent young talent. A definite star player. But some questions should be addressed at some point. And they are,

Is he the right fit alongside Tatum going forward? Can/should Boston try to get another star who fits better going forward? Is Jalen too aggressive with his tunnel vision episodes? Is his individual talent for scoring worth keeping him or should Boston trade him while his value is high? Would he ever except the role as a 3rd option on a title contender?

and WTF happened to his defense??

All in all I love great Wings more than any other position and know they are not easy to come by. But I can't help but wonder, Can we/Boston do better by trading him??
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens
bucknersrevenge
Head Coach
Posts: 7,112
And1: 7,875
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1098 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon May 3, 2021 1:56 pm

playa-hater wrote:I think there is only one poster who doesn't think J Brown is an excellent young talent. A definite star player. But some questions should be addressed at some point. And they are,

Is he the right fit alongside Tatum going forward? Can/should Boston try to get another star who fits better going forward? Is Jalen too aggressive with his tunnel vision episodes? Is his individual talent for scoring worth keeping him or should Boston trade him while his value is high? Would he ever except the role as a 3rd option on a title contender?

and WTF happened to his defense??

All in all I love great Wings more than any other position and know they are not easy to come by. But I can't help but wonder, Can we/Boston do better by trading him??


The only way I think you get better by trading him is if Beal or Towns come available. Under either of those circumstances you move him with Romeo and 1st if necessary and make the deal. I'm rooting for Washington to just miss the tournament or get knocked out in the first game and hopefully send Beal over the edge.
I am the RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. Playa-hater, 31to6, thank you for having my back fam. I still say we haven't seen the last of Tacko.
playa-hater
Analyst
Posts: 3,053
And1: 3,071
Joined: Aug 29, 2020
 

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1099 » by playa-hater » Mon May 3, 2021 4:03 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:I think there is only one poster who doesn't think J Brown is an excellent young talent. A definite star player. But some questions should be addressed at some point. And they are,

Is he the right fit alongside Tatum going forward? Can/should Boston try to get another star who fits better going forward? Is Jalen too aggressive with his tunnel vision episodes? Is his individual talent for scoring worth keeping him or should Boston trade him while his value is high? Would he ever except the role as a 3rd option on a title contender?

and WTF happened to his defense??

All in all I love great Wings more than any other position and know they are not easy to come by. But I can't help but wonder, Can we/Boston do better by trading him??


The only way I think you get better by trading him is if Beal or Towns come available. Under either of those circumstances you move him with Romeo and 1st if necessary and make the deal. I'm rooting for Washington to just miss the tournament or get knocked out in the first game and hopefully send Beal over the edge.


Beal is an obvious get for me, but there might be other options out there besides Beal -Towns. Just using a hypothetical, maybe we send J Brown to OKC for 3 firsts (as they start to cash in their chips) and we trade the 3 firsts + Romeo (filler) for Sabonis + Brogdan ..If Indiana wants to start a rebuild.
Boston will never win 18 BECAUSE of Brad Stevens
bucknersrevenge
Head Coach
Posts: 7,112
And1: 7,875
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Southern Maryland
Contact:
         

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#1100 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon May 3, 2021 4:28 pm

playa-hater wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
playa-hater wrote:I think there is only one poster who doesn't think J Brown is an excellent young talent. A definite star player. But some questions should be addressed at some point. And they are,

Is he the right fit alongside Tatum going forward? Can/should Boston try to get another star who fits better going forward? Is Jalen too aggressive with his tunnel vision episodes? Is his individual talent for scoring worth keeping him or should Boston trade him while his value is high? Would he ever except the role as a 3rd option on a title contender?

and WTF happened to his defense??

All in all I love great Wings more than any other position and know they are not easy to come by. But I can't help but wonder, Can we/Boston do better by trading him??


The only way I think you get better by trading him is if Beal or Towns come available. Under either of those circumstances you move him with Romeo and 1st if necessary and make the deal. I'm rooting for Washington to just miss the tournament or get knocked out in the first game and hopefully send Beal over the edge.


Beal is an obvious get for me, but there might be other options out there besides Beal -Towns. Just using a hypothetical, maybe we send J Brown to OKC for 3 firsts (as they start to cash in their chips) and we trade the 3 firsts + Romeo (filler) for Sabonis + Brogdan ..If Indiana wants to start a rebuild.


Interesting idea. My only pushback would be, would Indy be looking to rebuild? Sabonis/Brogdon,Warren/Levert/Holiday make a pretty interesting core if they can all get healthy and play together. They do lack the top end talent but if we were able to get a pick from OKC that could facilitate acquiring such a talent, why would we not keep it for ourselves? Furthermore, why would OKC give up said pick being so early in their own rebuild?
I am the RealGM President of the Tacko Fall fan club. Playa-hater, 31to6, thank you for having my back fam. I still say we haven't seen the last of Tacko.

Return to Boston Celtics