ImageImageImage

What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,589

Re: What is Jaylen Brown's ceiling? 

Post#81 » by Shak_Celts » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:40 am

LIVE LOOK-IN ON THE JAYS!

NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Ben-N1ce
RealGM
And1: 18,959

Post#82 » by Ben-N1ce » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:58 am

I can see him being top 20-30. Top 20 at his peak. Neither him or Tatum have the intangible court vision that I don't believe can be taught. Jaylen has a very good floor because I can't see him not working and trying to improve. We are likely to see him and Tatum eventually get around twenty shots each all the time so we'll find out when they have the Dame CJ role on the Celtics.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#83 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:03 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
Imagine forgetting John Wall is a perennial all star player much better than Jaylen Brown because Wall is currently injured just because you’re a biased Celtics fan

The difference between "is" and "was" is pretty important in this case.

There's a modest chance Durant comes back worse than Brown. There's a reasonable chance Thompson does. There's a large likelihood Wall does.

(Curry, however, would be a shocker if he doesn't regain all or almost all of his previous form.)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#84 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:05 am

cloverleaf wrote: It is not accidental that JT is +12 in on/off/100 while JB is -2.3--despite their spending so much time on the court together.

I imagine that JB's weak number has a lot to do with the times he and JT are subbed for each other.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,958

Post#85 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:10 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:
cloverleaf wrote: It is not accidental that JT is +12 in on/off/100 while JB is -2.3--despite their spending so much time on the court together.

I imagine that JB's weak number has a lot to do with the times he and JT are subbed for each other.

Gordon w/o Tatum: -0.4 net rating
Kemba w/o Tatum: -2.1 net rating
Brown w/o Tatum: -1.3 net rating

Tatum w/o Gordon, Kemba, Brown: +4.4 net rating

We now live in a world where our team's success is dependent on a 21-year old.
Saint Lazarus
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,436

Post#86 » by Saint Lazarus » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:12 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:He’s around top 50 now. I don’t think there’s much movement upwards but if there is it’s minimal.

Players all as good or better. Stop being homers. It’s embarrassing that anyone could claim he’s top 40 let alone 20-25 now

Trae
Collins
Tatum
Kemba
Hayward
Smart
Kyrie
KD
Love
Drummond
Jokic
MPJ
Murray
Steph
Klay
Draymond
Wiggins
Harden
Westbrook
Oladipo
Sabonis
George
Kawhi
Williams
Lebron
AD
Butler
Adebayo
KAT
Holiday
Ingram
Zion
Ball
Isaac
Vucevic
Gordon
McCollum
Lillard
Simmons
Embid
Harris
Fox
Bagley
Hield
DeRozan
Aldridge
Mitchell
Beal
Wall
Giannis
Middleton
Ayton
Booker
KP
Doncic
Lowry
Siakam
Valanciunas

Edit: forgot LaVine and Markkanen

This is arguably the worst post I've seen in realgm history. Michael Porter Jr? The guy averaging 14mpg with 2 back surgeries already?

Valanciunas? Lou Williams? Lonzo Ball? LOL.
dorkestra wrote:Embiid is embarrassing the whole city of Philadelphia. Wake up you little bitch

The Comedian wrote:Saint Lazarus playing 4D chess right now.

This dude legit has other Celtics fans arguing with him :lol:
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#87 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:25 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:

Just for a few more days.
estendius
Junior
And1: 304

Post#88 » by estendius » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:27 am

I'm not surprised if someday JB will become FMVP. This guy is fearless.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,221

Post#89 » by Homerclease » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:24 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
100proof wrote:
a top 20 player is not a fringe allstar

He was a fringe allstar this season. If it wasnt for Kemba and Tatum he could have been an allstar, couldnt have 3 players in on the same team,

He wasn’t one of the top 15 players in an Eastern Conference that lost Kawhi and had four all stars injured (Kyrie, KD, Wall, Oladipo). He’s a borderline top 20 player in the weaker Eastern Conference. He might not be a top 30 player in the much stronger Western Conference. Which objectively makes him a borderline top 50 player

And your not a top 10,000 poster. Get lost

Stop with that garbage. The more posters this forum has the better. Telling people to get lost because you don’t like their opinion is fascist crap.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#90 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:46 am

Homerclease wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
He wasn’t one of the top 15 players in an Eastern Conference that lost Kawhi and had four all stars injured (Kyrie, KD, Wall, Oladipo). He’s a borderline top 20 player in the weaker Eastern Conference. He might not be a top 30 player in the much stronger Western Conference. Which objectively makes him a borderline top 50 player

Stop with that garbage. The more posters this forum has the better. Telling people to get lost because you don’t like their opinion is fascist crap.

Not when they are blatantly trolling. Blatantly trolling is garbage. You don’t like it block me. I could gaf. It’s not even articulate back and forth and him having valid points or facts.

So I’ll do me and he can get lost. U can also if u don’t like my posts. Thanks tho
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,221

Post#91 » by Homerclease » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:35 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:

Not when they are blatantly trolling. Blatantly trolling is garbage. You don’t like it block me. I could gaf. It’s not even articulate back and forth and him having valid points or facts.

So I’ll do me and he can get lost. U can also if u don’t like my posts. Thanks tho

I’ve put two people on ignore here in six years. I don’t need to put people on ignore because I have the capability of ignoring someone when I don’t care to discuss a topic, don’t agree with their opinion or think they are trolling.

I think the other posters list is ridiculous, he comes off as having an axe to grind against Jaylen Brown and it’s his right to think whatever the heck he wants. I’ve seen much more ridiculous things posted here than that.

Hindering discussion around here is the exact opposite of what this forum stands for and against everything that makes Celtics realGM a great place to post. Don’t be like Elrod and just let them go man
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#92 » by MagicBagley18 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:40 pm

Homerclease wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:Stop with that garbage. The more posters this forum has the better. Telling people to get lost because you don’t like their opinion is fascist crap.

I’ve put two people on ignore here in six years. I don’t need to put people on ignore because I have the capability of ignoring someone when I don’t care to discuss a topic, don’t agree with their opinion or think they are trolling.

I think the other posters list is ridiculous, he comes off as having an axe to grind against Jaylen Brown and it’s his right to think whatever the heck he wants. I’ve seen much more ridiculous things posted here than that.

Hindering discussion around here is the exact opposite of what this forum stands for and against everything that makes Celtics realGM a great place to post. Don’t be like Elrod and just let them go man

Agree with everything you say except when someone routinely posts something not because they are passionate about it but to troll and disrupt the otherwise really good back and forth dialogue that we have here I’ll react as I see fit. Not hindering discussion at all. Hindering trolls. People can have any take they want. Nor do I have the power to hinder discussion- tho I appreciate the sentiment that I do. Thanks for that compliment.

I’ll continue to have back and forth and genuinely intriguing convos with people here. I learn more from opposing viewpoints than I do with people who agree with me but I’ll post and react as I see fit not as you want or feel I should. I’m good. You do you. I’ll do me. Thanks.
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,463

Post#93 » by KGtabake » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:25 pm

He would have been the star player and a potential franchise guy on the following teams:

Knicks
Bulls
Cavs
Pistons
Hornets

Debatable franchise guy on:

Spurs
Thunder
Magic
Kings

Best second option on:

Heat
Blazers
Wizards
Hawks
Suns
Wolves
Grizzlies(depends on what you think of JJJ)
Jazz
Nuggets(depends on what you think of Murray)
Raptors

Third option on:

Lakers
Clippers
Bucks
Sixers
Pacers(depends on what you think of Brogdon, Sabonis)
Nets
Warriors
Pelicans(depends on what you think of Ingram)
Rockets
Mavericks
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#94 » by BillessuR6 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:43 pm

Just put the guy on ignore...he is obviously a troll...
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,722

Post#95 » by Slax » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:07 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:

Just for a few more days.

In a few days he finally turns 20
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,722

Post#96 » by Slax » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:18 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:

I think this mostly comes down to Tatum being our best player, but a little of it might be that we have much better backups at PG/SG/SF while Tatum is the only player in our team who can competently play power forward, where our best backup is like... Grant Williams or something.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,059

Post#97 » by Gant » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:25 pm

Slax wrote:
zoyathedestroya wrote:

I think this mostly comes down to Tatum being our best player, but a little of it might be that we have much better backups at PG/SG/SF while Tatum is the only player in our team who can competently play power forward, where our best backup is like... Grant Williams or something.

Plus Tatum's been healthy while the other 3 have played injured. Tatum has clearly risen to the top, but playing with multiple ankle sprains killed Brown's defense for an extended time. Earlier in the season, Hayward played hampered for a long while too.
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#98 » by Wes-J » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:37 pm

Jaylen has been awesome playing within the context of his role as 3rd option even 2nd option with the injuries and supporting Tatum both on and off the court.

I think there's a fire that burns within him to be greater individually and achieve franchise goals at the same time. This summer he's gonna put in work no doubts, and we'll have that all-star next season.

As far ceiling it's hard to say. If the young man is providing 22-24ppg 7rpg 3apg 1.5 spg with around 60% TS and near elite D, you can't deny him top 15 status.
vct33
Veteran
And1: 839

Post#99 » by vct33 » Sun Mar 1, 2020 2:16 pm

vct33 wrote:Absolute ceiling is Dominique-ish. Similar build and athleticism. Nique had a pretty loose handle and wasn’t much of a playmaker. Jaylen needs to continue to get better at finishing at the rim.

What advantages did Nique have on offense to make up for Brown's superior defense?

Dominique was much better at attacking the rim and finishing in a variety of ways. He also drew a lot more contact and got to the line shooting a higher percentage. He also had to do it while being the primary focus of the opposing D. I don’t think Brown can be a Nique level scorer but I think he could be a better defender and still have hope that he can become a better passer.
I brings the ruckus to the ladies!
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,756

Post#100 » by GrandTheftRondo » Sun Mar 1, 2020 2:26 pm

At this stage fantastic second option. But he keeps surprising so who knows.

I don’t get how he’s had so many haters over his time here. Yes he wasn’t great last year but it’s quite clear heaps was going on behind the scenes. But he’s everything you’d want in a Celtic. Up for the challenge, makes big plays and he’s a hard worker.

Return to Boston Celtics