ImageImageImage

NBA Season has been Suspended.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,203

Re: NBA Season has been Suspended. 

Post#121 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#122 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:57 pm

Read on Twitter

If you told me it's been 10 years since the NBA was suspended, I would've believed you.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#123 » by KGboss » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:20 am

Smart is positive for COVID 19

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
GWVan
Analyst
And1: 2,549

Post#124 » by GWVan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:27 am

KGboss wrote:Smart is positive for COVID 19

Source?
Full of sound and fury; signifying nothing
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#125 » by Dave_From_NB » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:46 am

GWVan wrote:
KGboss wrote:Smart is positive for COVID 19

Source?

Marcus sent out a tweet.
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#126 » by Dave_From_NB » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:50 am

I see only 3 ways the NBA season resumes before a Covid vaccine. The 3 ways come about because with a 14 day incubation period and 450 players, an expectation that every single one of those 450 players and all the coaches, trainers, etc. perfectly self-isolates to a point where a 14 day period elapses with no new infections and all the previous cases recovering is extremely unlikely.

Option 1. Send everyone to a secured location, where each can be safely quarantined, while those already infected recover. When everyone is ready to go, they play at that secured location until the champ is crowned. This would be something like a military base in the desert.

Options 2. Infect them all. Let them recover. Then it doesn't matter because nobody can catch it. However, although statistically none of the players are likely to die, that isn't the case with coaches and other staff. Source : https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Option 3. Pick a point in time, send them all to a secured location, and let them play on knowing that infections are going to occur, and just let it take it's course. Play if you can, don't if you're too sick.

Realistically, I don't see Options 2 or 3 as being acceptable risk. Which leaves us with Option 1.

Does anyone see any other realistic options?
ConnorHenry
Senior
And1: 194

Post#127 » by ConnorHenry » Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:26 am

Dave_From_NB wrote:I see only 3 ways the NBA season resumes before a Covid vaccine. The 3 ways come about because with a 14 day incubation period and 450 players, an expectation that every single one of those 450 players and all the coaches, trainers, etc. perfectly self-isolates to a point where a 14 day period elapses with no new infections and all the previous cases recovering is extremely unlikely.

Option 1. Send everyone to a secured location, where each can be safely quarantined, while those already infected recover. When everyone is ready to go, they play at that secured location until the champ is crowned. This would be something like a military base in the desert.

Options 2. Infect them all. Let them recover. Then it doesn't matter because nobody can catch it. However, although statistically none of the players are likely to die, that isn't the case with coaches and other staff. Source : https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

Option 3. Pick a point in time, send them all to a secured location, and let them play on knowing that infections are going to occur, and just let it take it's course. Play if you can, don't if you're too sick.

Realistically, I don't see Options 2 or 3 as being acceptable risk. Which leaves us with Option 1.

You want to be optimistic but the news gets worse by the hour. Barring a miracle, I don't see the NBA or NHL competing this season.

Good point I saw yesterday about the Olympics is how can you train right now? IOC is staying resolute but I don't see this being resolved in time to carry out the Olympics.

MLB might be able to play a partial season but as more time goes by pitchers have to be stretched out again, requiring another spring training. It gets to the point that you can't play a long enough season.

NFL has until September but camps begin in July and OFAs before that. I think camps will be hard-pressed to commence on time.

I hope I'm wrong about everything but right now the trajectory just doesn't look favorable. And while no sports is the least of our worries, not having that diversion makes it all feel worse.
My name's Henry Connor.
Conner Henry was a Celtic.
Hence the pun.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,625

Post#128 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:21 am

ConnorHenry wrote:
Dave_From_NB wrote:I see only 3 ways the NBA season resumes before a Covid vaccine. The 3 ways come about because with a 14 day incubation period and 450 players, an expectation that every single one of those 450 players and all the coaches, trainers, etc. perfectly self-isolates to a point where a 14 day period elapses with no new infections and all the previous cases recovering is extremely unlikely.

You want to be optimistic but the news gets worse by the hour. Barring a miracle, I don't see the NBA or NHL competing this season.

Good point I saw yesterday about the Olympics is how can you train right now? IOC is staying resolute but I don't see this being resolved in time to carry out the Olympics.

MLB might be able to play a partial season but as more time goes by pitchers have to be stretched out again, requiring another spring training. It gets to the point that you can't play a long enough season.

NFL has until September but camps begin in July and OFAs before that. I think camps will be hard-pressed to commence on time.

I hope I'm wrong about everything but right now the trajectory just doesn't look favorable. And while no sports is the least of our worries, not having that diversion makes it all feel worse.

I'm not that worried about training camps. Test everybody, then put them in draconian isolation for some weeks. Teams will be only too happy to do things that way given half an excuse.

But what happens over the course of the season, if the pandemic picks up again and another general lockdown is needed?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
ConnorHenry
Senior
And1: 194

Post#129 » by ConnorHenry » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:46 am

Japanese Olympic Committee official calls for postponement of 2020 Tokyo Olympics

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2881032001

Kaori Yamaguchi, a retired judo athlete, told Nikkei that she believes the IOC is "putting athletes at risk" by asking them to continue to train, as usual, in the wake of the ongoing coronavirus pandemic — a message that president Thomas Bach and the IOC have communicated to athletes as recently as this week.

Yamaguchi, who is one of the committee's 23 executive board members, added that she plans to argue her stance to the rest of Japanese Olympic Committee in a March 27 meeting.

"Unlike other sporting events, the Olympics symbolize the ideal that sports bring about world peace," she told Nikkei, a newspaper in Japan. "We should not hold (the Olympics) if people across the world can't enjoy themselves."

The Olympics would start July 24.
My name's Henry Connor.
Conner Henry was a Celtic.
Hence the pun.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#130 » by zoyathedestroya » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:53 pm

This sucks.
Read on Twitter
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,724

Post#131 » by Slax » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:03 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:This sucks.
Read on Twitter

Horrible :(
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#132 » by ddb » Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:16 pm

glass half full mindset about all of this is that it's likely another season LeBron won't win a title. He'll be 36 next year. Meanwhile Tatum is 19! It's almost our time!
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#133 » by canman1971 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Come on people. WTF is going through these billionaires minds?
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#134 » by Taget » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:11 pm

I'm gonna say something that may be unpopular but I think is the sad truth. Not only will the season probably be cancelled but it should be. First we're not even at the peak in New York. It is going to appear everywhere just some places months later. And the whole point of stay at home orders is not to eliminate the curve but to flatten in. A whole lot of people are going to get sick for a whole lot of time.

Second assume we can have a rump playoff over summer using the current league standings. What is that even going to look like? A lot of players will be in physical shape for the season with home gyms and what not. A lot won't. Maybe a few have personal basketball courts. Most won't. It will be a really bad messy pre-season. It will be ugly and won't really represent pretty much anything about any team.

We also need to accept when this subsides there is going to be a round 2 just like with the spanish flu come fall that me even worse.

I say cancel this season. Prepare for NEXT season to be shorted and starting late.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#135 » by GregB » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:26 pm

canman1971 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Come on people. WTF is going through these billionaires minds?

Nothing. Sadly most of these billionaires don’t see us as people. We are just tools to acquire more wealth.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#136 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Apr 1, 2020 5:25 am

Read on Twitter
K For Three
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 32,359

Post#137 » by K For Three » Sat Apr 4, 2020 5:43 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#138 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Apr 5, 2020 3:14 am

Read on Twitter
KGtabake
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,532

Post#139 » by KGtabake » Thu Apr 9, 2020 5:16 am

Read on Twitter

Great hire for Chicago(imo).
If they let him do his thing, hire the GM he wants and they hire someone like Kenny Atkinson or Becky Hammond as HC, the Bulls will be competitive soon.
Messi. Jordan. Ali. Bolt. Senna. Serena. Karelin. Phelps. Rossi. Suleymanoglou. The GOATs.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#140 » by Taget » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:32 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Return to Boston Celtics