ImageImageImage

Would you have traded Bird or McHale?

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

ConnorHenry
Senior
And1: 194

Would you have traded Bird or McHale? 

Post#1 » by ConnorHenry » Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:38 am

Ainge had once said the Celtics should've traded Bird or McHale. Some of the names that were suggested to get in return were Sam Perkins, Detlef Schrempf, and Chuck Person.

If you were GM in the late 80s would you have traded Bird or McHale? It so, which one and for whom?

BTW, Ainge scored 39 vs the C's in his first game against them after being traded to Sacto. .https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2016/11/12/gary-washburn-after-celtics-traded-him-danny-ainge-was-out-for-payback/PHA0BziBfz3QoXyZRFF6XL/story.html
My name's Henry Connor.
Conner Henry was a Celtic.
Hence the pun.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Re: Would you have traded Bird or McHale? 

Post#2 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:11 am

A recent article in the Herald (I think) says that the Bird deal was Person plus the #2 overall pick in the 1988 NBA draft. (The pick was actually used on Rik Smits, and the only gem in the whole draft was #5 overall pick Mitch Richmond.) It also said that the Perkins and Schrempf would have come along with a couple of firsts; presumably the only studs in range of those picks would have been Tim Hardaway and Shawn Kemp in 1989.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#3 » by Taget » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:04 am

If we're talking Jordan or Shaq or Hakeem. Sure. But if it's Smits or Schrempf? While it would be nice to have not fallen as hard as we did if we're not actually contending why not let Bird and McHale stay to the bitter end?
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#4 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:46 am

The resulting team would have been something like:

Smits, Schrempf, Ainge -- three guys at the career-achievement-award-all-star-nod level
Reggie Lewis, for a while
A couple of extra picks

Sounds treadmillish, although Red was still an OK drafter then (Reggie Lewis, Rick Fox and Dee Brown came in with late picks over a 4-year period).
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#5 » by captain green » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:03 pm

Actually I've thought about it but if I'm not mistaken McHale in playoff vs hornets he scored a lot 38? And I loved that send off so nope on mchale And you couldn't trade bird different Era I'm pretty sure there would have been riots if they did
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#6 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:56 pm

I'd be selling on everyone when it became clear the end was near. If you could get Shrempf and a future pick for Bird? Hell yeah. Trade Bird and McHale together even, who cares? I hope the Celtics can do this with Tatum in 15 years. I have zero interesting in watching past-their-prime former stars finish their career in Boston if they can be traded similar to how Pierce and KG were.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,272

Post#7 » by Parliament10 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:58 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:I'd be selling on everyone when it became clear the end was near. If you could get Shrempf and a future pick for Bird? Hell yeah. Trade Bird and McHale together even, who cares? I hope the Celtics can do this with Tatum in 15 years. I have zero interesting in watching past-their-prime former stars finish their career in Boston if they can be traded similar to how Pierce and KG were.

I've heard a number of times, that the Celtics kept the 80's-Big 3 well past their prime.
If good trades could have been made to improve the team long-term, then I think that that should have been looked at.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
darrendaye
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,940

Post#8 » by darrendaye » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:17 pm

Absolutely. I definitely wanted them to deal McHale and Parish. I was not in favor of the Chuck Person centered deal for Bird, but was hoping they would find someone to give up a young big man (or draft night trade to pick one) who could be paired with Reggie Lewis going forward at the time, in dealing my "idol." Had Bias not died or had they found another young star to pair with Lewis (dry heave, Michael Smith picked over Hardaway, Kemp, Divac, dry heave) I would have kept one or more of the aging big 3. But without that, I had wanted to rebuild around Lewis.

Always have had a GM type perspective as a fan. I'm a Cowboys fan in football whose passion for the team started with seeing Tony Dorsett and Randy White perform on national TV as a kid, I was completely on board when they dealt Tony to Denver to finish his career.
Thanks Brad for answering my ad,
"Boston Celtics Barbershop, cutters wanted."
But after KP, your C play? You broke my heart Fredo.

ajones9219 wrote:Is handsome Squidward playing?
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,893

Post#9 » by Joshyjess » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:11 pm

Nope! If the C's had traded McHale, he wouldn't have ended his career in Boston, so he wouldn't have kept the same high regard he had for the C's.
Result - He probably wouldn't have traded Garnett to Boston many years later. So by keeping McHale, Boston ended up getting Garnett. No doubt Red knew this way back then. :meditate:
Darthlukey
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 3,112

Post#10 » by Darthlukey » Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:39 am

I'm too young to have enjoyed the bird celtics (though I do enjoy watching hardwood classics). A guy like bird you can't trade unless it is an epic overpay. A half decent deal (person and a pick) isn't worth the destruction of a life long Celtic legacy
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,314

Post#11 » by Red2 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:29 pm

NO.Never. And honestly Pierce should never have been traded either even though we got good draft picks. he earned the right to play his entire career in Boston. I don't think Danny ever got over being traded while red kept the other guys. Ditto for Max. I loved Max and yes I think he got a raw deal but that trade got us a title. Without walton's size I'm not sure we beat houston.
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"

Return to Boston Celtics