ImageImageImage

Which nonCeltic could benefit from Brad's system?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Which nonCeltic could benefit from Brad's system? 

Post#1 » by theman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:50 pm

In his time with the Celtics Brad Stevens has work wonders for the careers of many players who were castoffs from other teams. Consider Isaiah Thomas, Evan Turner, Jae Crowder ...

So with that in mind, which players on other teams could come to Boston and "over achieve/live up to expectations"?

A couple things all three players above have in come is all had shown some promise before coming to Boston and all were 24-26 while playing for Brad.

A couple names I would throw out are Aaron Gordon and Dario Saric. Both have probably had better careers to this point than the players above had prior to Boston but I think both have some untapped potential.

An other possibility Mario Hezonja. He had success in Orlando when they used him as point guard similar to how Stevens used Turner.

Thoughts?
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Re: Which nonCeltic could benefit from Brad's system? 

Post#2 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:51 pm

I'm not sure that there is a guard in this league that couldn't benefit from Brad's motion system. And there are few bigs that wouldn't. Brad's system is adaptable for wings. It allows them the freedom to make reads on the fly and to use their natural athleticism and skills. It might be appropriate to narrow the scope of answers you're looking for in a player. Do you mean, stars? Role-players? Guys to start or fill in the back end of our rotation? Rookies, etc?
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
theman
RealGM

Post#3 » by theman » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:28 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:I'm not sure that there is a guard in this league that couldn't benefit from Brad's motion system. And there are few bigs that wouldn't. Brad's system is adaptable for wings. It allows them the freedom to make reads on the fly and to use their natural athleticism and skills. It might be appropriate to narrow the scope of answers you're looking for in a player. Do you mean, stars? Role-players? Guys to start or fill in the back end of our rotation? Rookies, etc?

I mean guys who have been under utilized guys like Thomas and Turner and Crowder. They all showed flash but "blow up" on getting to Boston. So mostly role players that have been in the league 2-4 years.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#4 » by Homerclease » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:01 pm

Harry Giles
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,239

Post#5 » by djFan71 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:40 pm

A lot of guys involved in that HOU/DEN/MIN trade would have been nice: Hernangomez could do well in the Theis mold. RoCo or Beasley would be spectacular. For some reason, I still like Vonleh, though I haven't watched him at all this season.

Aaron Gordon is a good one, but risky. He could be a super-charged Theis if he was willing to do all the little things Daniel does. If not, he'd just be redundant and in the way on a different team. I like him best as a small ball center.
Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,932

Post#6 » by Joshyjess » Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Pretty much any guy who's not a Diva. To get the most from Brad's system, you've got to accept it, and work within it. Guys who just want to do it their way, won't benefit from it.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,864

Post#7 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:45 pm

Just gonna list a bunch of free agents (either PO, RFA, or UFA) who would fit best on the Celtics regardless whether or not we can afford them or not...

• Paul Millsap (UFA)
• Otto Porter Jr. (PO)
• Danilo Gallinari (UFA)
• Derrick Favors (UFA)
• Goran Dragic (UFA)
• James Johnson (PO)
• Kelly Olynyk (PO)
• Mo Harkless (UFA)
• Meyers Leonard (UFA)
• Fred VanVleet (UFA)
• Bogdan Bogdanovic (RFA)
• Joe Harris (UFA)
• DJ Augustin (UFA)
• Davis Bertans (UFA)
• Jae Crowder (UFA)
• Langston Galloway (UFA)
• Aron Baynes (UFA)
• Garrett Temple (TO)
• Dario Saric (RFA)
• Harry Giles (UFA)
• James Ennis (PO)
• Christian Wood (UFA)
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#8 » by 24istheLAW » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:03 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Just gonna list a bunch of free agents (either PO, RFA, or UFA) who would fit best on the Celtics regardless whether or not we can afford them or not...

Someone mentioned Covington above. Fine basketball player, but I don't see how the Celtics style of play would empower him in a way other teams can't.

I think particular "system fits" for the Celts as they've played under Stevens, are typically players who aren't effective enough to be true secondary ballhandlers, but who have a good floor game. Quick and smart passes, enough of a handle to attack the rim if there's a bit of room or a mismatch, some ability to improvise.

Guys like Crowder, ET, Amir Johnson etc. aren't dynamic enough on the ball to do much when the defense is set. But when the ball is moving and it finds them, they could act quickly and correctly to help the team get a good shot, be it by swinging the ball quickly, playing a 2 man game, or attacking downhill themselves.

From the list of guys Zoya posted, the obvious fits IMO are James Johnson and Dario Saric.

Covington, Meyers Leonard, Harkless, and Ennis... those guys are very role-specific off ball guys. They can stroke it but they don't have the floor game to do much besides space the floor.

I dunno if James Johnson is too crazy to be worth it. But he's old enough and will have a small enough market that he could just want to play on a good team. And I love his skillset for the Brad Celtics.

Dario Saric has serious skill, but we just used a late 1st on a younger guy with similar physical limitations in Grant Williams.
FutureIsGreen
Junior
And1: 236

Post#9 » by FutureIsGreen » Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:34 am

Aaron Gordon. Still fails to get to the next level on both ends of the court. Needs to be free from the Magic. Brad develops, he needs development.
theman
RealGM

Post#10 » by theman » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:34 pm

djFan71 wrote:A lot of guys involved in that HOU/DEN/MIN trade would have been nice: Hernangomez could do well in the Theis mold. RoCo or Beasley would be spectacular. For some reason, I still like Vonleh, though I haven't watched him at all this season.

Aaron Gordon is a good one, but risky. He could be a super-charged Theis if he was willing to do all the little things Daniel does. If not, he'd just be redundant and in the way on a different team. I like him best as a small ball center.

Gordon also fills a need. I forgot about Vonleh, he showed promise coming out of college and it seems his game should translate to the NBA.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#11 » by captain green » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:56 am

I was going to list names but Zoya the detroya coverd it .
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#12 » by celtxman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:27 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:Just gonna list a bunch of free agents (either PO, RFA, or UFA) who would fit best on the Celtics regardless whether or not we can afford them or not...

• Paul Millsap (UFA)
• Otto Porter Jr. (PO)
• Danilo Gallinari (UFA)
• Derrick Favors (UFA)
• Goran Dragic (UFA)
• James Johnson (PO)
• Kelly Olynyk (PO)
• Mo Harkless (UFA)
• Meyers Leonard (UFA)
• Fred VanVleet (UFA)
• Bogdan Bogdanovic (RFA)
• Joe Harris (UFA)
• DJ Augustin (UFA)
• Davis Bertans (UFA)
• Jae Crowder (UFA)
• Langston Galloway (UFA)
• Aron Baynes (UFA)
• Garrett Temple (TO)
• Dario Saric (RFA)
• Harry Giles (UFA)
• James Ennis (PO)
• Christian Wood (UFA)
In being realistic with this list, the Celtics needs and the salary cap, it would be going after Baynes. It feels like Baynes has an understanding that the Celtics needed to let him go to get Kemba. He is making roughly half of the MLE so there is room to pay him more, reasonably. He is obviously a fit with the team itself and a need to have size against Philly and Milwaukee etc. Love to have guys like Harris or Wood, but it's not realistic
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,523

Post#13 » by snowman » Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:09 pm

Justin Jackson from Dallas. Being a Tar Heel fan, I have watched him play for years. Being drafted by Portland and then traded to Dallas, I don't think he has been used correctly. I think he would thrive in Brads system. If we could trade Poirier and a pick for him, (works on trade checker) a combo of Tatum, Brown, Smart, Langford and Jackson, all 26 and under, we would be set at the wing for 5+ years.
RB34
RealGM
And1: 14,643

Post#14 » by RB34 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:50 pm

Aron Baynes
SLCceltic
Veteran
And1: 1,680

Post#15 » by SLCceltic » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:16 am

shooters !
ROYALGREEN

Return to Boston Celtics