ImageImageImage

How would Dino Radja fit in this era's Celtics?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Dino Radja in 2020

Would have been our starting big
60%
Would have been a good rotational player
36%
Would have been the end of the bench guy
4%
Would not deserve to be a Celtic
No votes
Other(please name on the thread)
No votes

Total votes: 25

LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Re: How would Dino Radja fit in this era's Celtics? 

Post#21 » by LewisnotMiller » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:02 am

Parliament10 wrote:
CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:He would get killed on switches. I can't imagine him being able to defend smaller players on the perimeter. He wouldn't start over Theis.

I believe that he would Start over Theis. But Theis would be first off the Bench.

I'd see it the other way. Dino is more talented, and a smart offensive player, but that sounds more like a second unit focal point, with Smart and Williams next to him to beef up the D.

Theis plays a great role with the starters.
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#22 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:40 am

5InOfLouisville wrote:I don't know how to answer the question, but I guarantee he would lead this current team in CSPG(Cigarettes Smoked Per Game).

My folks still have a "basketball card" of me from 94 when I was either in 6th or 7th grade (11 or 12). They made them for everyone on the middle school basketball team and they included stats and fun facts on the back.

Under favorite athlete, I, apparently unable to choose just one superstar from such a talent-laden team, listed "Xavier McDaniel/Dino Radja". And until this point, I thought I had enjoyed a happy, healthy childhood. But my tastes have always impeccable.

That made me google the roster from 93-94. It makes you appreciate where we are now at least.

4 Alaa Abdelnaby PF 6-10 240 June 24, 1968 eg 3 Duke
7 Dee Brown SG 6-1 160 November 29, 1968 us 3 Jacksonville University
12 Chris Corchiani PG 6-0 185 March 28, 1968 us 2 NC State
20 Sherman Douglas PG 6-0 180 September 15, 1966 us 4 Syracuse
55 Acie Earl C 6-10 240 June 23, 1970 us R Iowa
44 Rick Fox SF 6-7 230 July 24, 1969 ca 2 UNC
34 Kevin Gamble SF 6-5 210 November 13, 1965 us 6 Iowa
43 Tony Harris SG 6-3 190 May 13, 1967 us 1 Lamar University, New Orleans
30 Todd Lichti SG 6-4 205 January 8, 1967 us 4 Stanford
31 Xavier McDaniel SF 6-7 205 June 4, 1963 us 8 Wichita State
27 Jimmy Oliver SG 6-5 205 July 12, 1969 us 1 Purdue
00 Robert Parish C 7-1 230 August 30, 1953 us 17 Centenary College of Louisiana
54 Ed Pinckney PF 6-9 195 March 27, 1963 us 8 Villanova
40 Dino Rađa PF 6-11 225 April 24, 1967 hr R
50 Matt Wenstrom

I was right there with you. I remember getting excited the first time Abdelnaby executed a drop step to the baseline correctly for an easy basket.

Heck it might have been the ONLY time he did...
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#23 » by Justin33 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:54 am

I'm 46 saw basically every game he played for the Celtics here are my thoughts. Offensively he had a really nice post game from both blocks, with a variety of short hooks and up and unders. He ran the floor hard and finished well. I think his best offensive attribute was his short jumper, He would face up from 15 and use his dribble to get his defender off balance and pull up with a beautiful little jumper. He used it with great effectiveness against larger opponents.His biggest weakness in my opinion on offense was his hands, He caught pases just fine but he would get stripped constantly like every game.

Defense was well not his strong suit though he rebounded well. He was though very good at chase down blocks on fast breaks, He was a deceptive athlete with long arms. His knees really betrayed him and I think all the animosity from the Balkan wars really wore on him and the rest of his former countrymen. Dino really was the one player who stayed friends with his former Serbian teammates and was often put in the middle. In conclusion Dino was very skilled and could play and excel in any era.
Slax
Assistant Coach
And1: 6,726

Post#24 » by Slax » Wed May 6, 2020 2:29 am

Justin33 wrote:I'm 46 saw basically every game he played for the Celtics here are my thoughts. Offensively he had a really nice post game from both blocks, with a variety of short hooks and up and unders. He ran the floor hard and finished well. I think his best offensive attribute was his short jumper, He would face up from 15 and use his dribble to get his defender off balance and pull up with a beautiful little jumper. He used it with great effectiveness against larger opponents.His biggest weakness in my opinion on offense was his hands, He caught pases just fine but he would get stripped constantly like every game.

Defense was well not his strong suit though he rebounded well. He was though very good at chase down blocks on fast breaks, He was a deceptive athlete with long arms. His knees really betrayed him and I think all the animosity from the Balkan wars really wore on him and the rest of his former countrymen. Dino really was the one player who stayed friends with his former Serbian teammates and was often put in the middle. In conclusion Dino was very skilled and could play and excel in any era.

Man it certainly wasn't even close to the worst thing to come out of the dissolution of Yugoslavia, but the breakup of the Yugoslav basketball team was pretty sad.

Return to Boston Celtics