ImageImageImage

Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2

Moderators: The Comedian, Parliament10, sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971

jirrit
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,372
And1: 3,502
Joined: Mar 01, 2011
Location: Belgium
Contact:
   

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1061 » by jirrit » Thu Jul 9, 2020 8:28 pm

End of march I was posting here all you should do is social distance yourself completely and lock yourself up. I heard many noises it was all about getting tests etc, some people making this political etc. Now see what the situation is like and isnt that kinda exactly what I 'predicted'? I'm not trying to be the smart guy here but... sigh.
Slax
Analyst
Posts: 3,154
And1: 3,759
Joined: Jul 08, 2010
Location: New York
       

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1062 » by Slax » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:51 pm

jirrit wrote:End of march I was posting here all you should do is social distance yourself completely and lock yourself up. I heard many noises it was all about getting tests etc, some people making this political etc. Now see what the situation is like and isnt that kinda exactly what I 'predicted'? I'm not trying to be the smart guy here but... sigh.

I'm not sure what you mean? It was a near consensus view on this forum that lockdowns were necessary in March, and I was and still am pro lockdown for places that have outbreaks. But testing is critical. You need testing to even figure out where the outbreaks are emerging before they get out of control like New York did in March and April (by the time we got the hospitalization surge, locking down was too late because prevalence of infection was so high!), and for places that can reduce cases to a more manageable level, testing is also critical for effective quarantine and contact tracing in order to suppress outbreaks large enough to go into lockdowns in the first place. "Lock everything down for a while while we get things under control and work out how we're going to handle this going forward" was reasonable to say in March, but "have everyone shut themselves in their homes for two years while waiting for a vaccine to be widely deployed" isn't a serious strategy that people will tolerate. So we still need wide scale testing and contact tracing. We also need a real quarantine strategy for helping prevent spread through families, nursing homes, etc.
jirrit
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,372
And1: 3,502
Joined: Mar 01, 2011
Location: Belgium
Contact:
   

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1063 » by jirrit » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:11 pm

Offcourse not but here we were locked up and it stopped spreading eventually. I know why you would want to test all around but as long as you dont social distance yourself it doesnt make any sense. Y'all wanna walk before you can crawl IMO.
claycarver
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,652
And1: 2,099
Joined: Jun 18, 2014
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1064 » by claycarver » Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:47 am

In late April, Georgia was the state at issue regarding re-opening. Headlines read "Georgia’s Experiment in Human Sacrifice" and "Georgia leads the race to become America’s No. 1 Death Destination". At the time, the country was averaging over 2000 deaths a day and Georgia was averaging 35 deaths a day. Now the country is averaging about 600-700 deaths a day and Georgia is averaging about 15 deaths a day. Since deaths started dropping, the conversation turned to total cases. And while those have exploded, the average of of the infected has dropped dramatically which seems to have had a massive dampening effect on the death toll.

But here's the most important thing to keep in mind. Social distancing was never going to be a long term solution. As the weather got warmer, anyone who thought that social distancing guidelines were going to be observed simply doesn't understand people. Or they don't understand Americans. This isn't a judgement against anyone, it's simply an observation from someone who lives in the real world.
threrf23
RealGM
Posts: 13,152
And1: 2,564
Joined: Mar 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1065 » by threrf23 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:21 pm

Read on Twitter
jirrit
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,372
And1: 3,502
Joined: Mar 01, 2011
Location: Belgium
Contact:
   

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1066 » by jirrit » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:30 pm

claycarver wrote:In late April, Georgia was the state at issue regarding re-opening. Headlines read "Georgia’s Experiment in Human Sacrifice" and "Georgia leads the race to become America’s No. 1 Death Destination". At the time, the country was averaging over 2000 deaths a day and Georgia was averaging 35 deaths a day. Now the country is averaging about 600-700 deaths a day and Georgia is averaging about 15 deaths a day. Since deaths started dropping, the conversation turned to total cases. And while those have exploded, the average of of the infected has dropped dramatically which seems to have had a massive dampening effect on the death toll.

But here's the most important thing to keep in mind. Social distancing was never going to be a long term solution. As the weather got warmer, anyone who thought that social distancing guidelines were going to be observed simply don't understand people. Or they don't understand Americans. This isn't a judgement against anyone, it's simply an observation from someone who lives in the real world.


It's all about people's behaviour. If you or someone close to you were touched by Covid in the past months you would easily social distance and avoid possible situations where the virus could thrive. All I'm saying is that testing doesnt matter one thing to our behaviour. What has it helped to know that there are big concentrations of Covid in the x or y area? Have people behaved appropriately knowing there are 1000's of cases a day in state x or 1000's of cases a day in state y? Nope. You could have tested every single person 75% of the tested non-covid cases would just behave like they would behave pre-corona. And that's just where it's all about. Even if you dont have it, you gotta act like you or your neighbour has it, otherwise it will keep spreading.
claycarver
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,652
And1: 2,099
Joined: Jun 18, 2014
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1067 » by claycarver » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:05 pm

jirrit wrote:It's all about people's behaviour. If you or someone close to you were touched by Covid in the past months you would easily social distance and avoid possible situations where the virus could thrive. All I'm saying is that testing doesnt matter one thing to our behaviour. What has it helped to know that there are big concentrations of Covid in the x or y area? Have people behaved appropriately knowing there are 1000's of cases a day in state x or 1000's of cases a day in state y? Nope. You could have tested every single person 75% of the tested non-covid cases would just behave like they would behave pre-corona. And that's just where it's all about. Even if you dont have it, you gotta act like you or your neighbour has it, otherwise it will keep spreading.


I guesss it depends on what you mean by touched. I have a great uncle who died from it but he was holding on for his life already. I also have a good friend infected but she barely had the sniffles. This thing is so strange how it affects people. I actually think people are just as likely to more dismissive of it if the experience isn't dramatic. Really, the only truly frustrating experience I've had is that no one could see my uncle because he was isolated.

I understand what you're saying though. Despite experience, the reasonable course of action is to be prudent. But you can point to any number of indicators--retirement savings, relationships, credit debt, etc--to realize that prudence isn't core value of our culture.

I have almost no idea how this virus works so I made no prediction about how that would go, but I understand people a little bit. When summer hit, the masks were coming off and the social distancing thing was going to come crashing down, no question about it.
GoGreen
Rookie
Posts: 1,157
And1: 1,296
Joined: Jul 19, 2017
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1068 » by GoGreen » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:22 pm

There are a bunch of players who have tested positive and will still play anyway. Am i missing something? Why is this being allowed? And why isn't there more attention being paid to this? Does it not defeat the purpose of the "bubble"?
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 29,462
And1: 55,474
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1069 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:06 pm

GoGreen wrote:There are a bunch of players who have tested positive and will still play anyway. Am i missing something? Why is this being allowed? And why isn't there more attention being paid to this? Does it not defeat the purpose of the "bubble"?

A player who's tested positive for covid can't enter the "bubble" until after two consecutive negative test results. And they still have to quarantine once inside the bubble, I think. Players and staff are tested daily once there IINM. AFAIK, no one has tested positive inside the bubble yet.
GoGreen
Rookie
Posts: 1,157
And1: 1,296
Joined: Jul 19, 2017
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1070 » by GoGreen » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:11 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
GoGreen wrote:There are a bunch of players who have tested positive and will still play anyway. Am i missing something? Why is this being allowed? And why isn't there more attention being paid to this? Does it not defeat the purpose of the "bubble"?

A player who's tested positive for covid can't enter the "bubble" until after two consecutive negative test results. And they still have to quarantine once inside the bubble, I think. Players and staff are tested daily once there IINM. AFAIK, no one has tested positive inside the bubble yet.


Ahh, good to know
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 29,462
And1: 55,474
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1071 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:28 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 29,462
And1: 55,474
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1072 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:27 am

Read on Twitter
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 29,462
And1: 55,474
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1073 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:14 pm

BoldStrategyCotton.gif

Read on Twitter
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,571
And1: 11,919
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1074 » by SuperDeluxe » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:57 pm

threrf23
RealGM
Posts: 13,152
And1: 2,564
Joined: Mar 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1075 » by threrf23 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:59 pm



This is a big claim — and I should caution that it is not fully resolved — but several studies are now showing that 20 to 50 percent of people who had never been exposed to the novel coronavirus have immune cells — known as memory T cells — in their body that react to this new virus.


This would potentially explain why 20-50% of those infected don't experience symptoms? This was a reasonable hypothesis for awhile IMO.
User avatar
Disinformation
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,950
And1: 2,498
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
   

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1076 » by Disinformation » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:45 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:BoldStrategyCotton.gif

Read on Twitter


That is complete and utter bull. :banghead:
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2019 Offseason

1) **** Kyrie Irving.
2) We missed our window to true contention and it's time to take a step back, get assets, and set up for the next run.

Kemba Walker - Nikola Vucevic - D'angelo Russell
exculpatory
RealGM
Posts: 10,575
And1: 5,798
Joined: Nov 10, 2008

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1077 » by exculpatory » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:32 am

Copied from the basketball thread:

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter


So how can they be sure that a player "recovered" from covid is no longer contagious?


They cannot with absolute 100% certainty.

According to this study published in Lancet Infectious Disease, after approximately 2 weeks, 3% may become + for virus again (2/3 asymptomatic & 1/3 with symptoms) & therefore potentially infectious again.

And these patients + for virus again may ALSO simultaneously have IgG & IgM antibodies.
Therefore, the presence of antibodies (the NBA’s ‘remedy’) does not exclude potential infectivity.

**** cluster **** of a disease.

https://www.mdlinx.com/news/covid-19-patients-may-retest-positive-after-recovery-with-no-symptoms/2dAH8qDKStiOkliPeG17w6?publish_dt=07-15-2020&utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ajm_50129
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
User avatar
Bad-Thoma
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,369
And1: 4,267
Joined: Feb 22, 2006
Location: Still riding proud on the C's bandwagon

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1078 » by Bad-Thoma » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:10 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:BoldStrategyCotton.gif

Read on Twitter


Jesus Titty **** Christ. I had more, but it was a political rant so I deleted it.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 29,462
And1: 55,474
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1079 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:56 am

Bad-Thoma wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:BoldStrategyCotton.gif

Read on Twitter


Jesus Titty **** Christ. I had more, but it was a political rant so I deleted it.

This has been political from the sitting "leadership's" POV from the start. This thread's rule on posting doesn't change that.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 29,462
And1: 55,474
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1080 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Next hurdle: Anti-vaxxers?

Return to Boston Celtics