ImageImageImage

Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 30,727
And1: 59,134
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1141 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:59 pm

If the virus can hear me, I'm appealing to your compassionate heart to just stop mutating to a worse/more transmissible/more virulent version. Or just stop altogether. This is stressing me out.

Read on Twitter
User avatar
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
Posts: 13,494
And1: 6,443
Joined: May 13, 2003
Location: 17 Championship BLVD
       

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1142 » by canman1971 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:10 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:If the virus can hear me, I'm appealing to your compassionate heart to just stop mutating to a worse/more transmissible/more virulent version. Or just stop altogether. This is stressing me out.

Read on Twitter

Lovely.
exculpatory
RealGM
Posts: 10,816
And1: 6,326
Joined: Nov 10, 2008

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1143 » by exculpatory » Wed Aug 5, 2020 11:35 pm

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638?query=TOC

A Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine as Postexposure Prophylaxis for Covid-19

ZILCH yet again!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
exculpatory
RealGM
Posts: 10,816
And1: 6,326
Joined: Nov 10, 2008

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1144 » by exculpatory » Thu Aug 6, 2020 8:46 am

http://europepmc.org/article/MED/32683212#free-full-text

Massive HCQ review through 6/2020
NO benefit & may cause harm!
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
KGboss
RealGM
Posts: 20,893
And1: 9,618
Joined: Mar 03, 2011
Location: Boston Garden
       

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1145 » by KGboss » Thu Aug 6, 2020 1:48 pm

exculpatory wrote:https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638?query=TOC

A Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine as Postexposure Prophylaxis for Covid-19

ZILCH yet again!
But ex, all of the people from my high school that barely passed bio and chem tell me this is fake news.

How could that be?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
exculpatory
RealGM
Posts: 10,816
And1: 6,326
Joined: Nov 10, 2008

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1146 » by exculpatory » Thu Aug 6, 2020 2:27 pm

KGboss wrote:
exculpatory wrote:https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638?query=TOC

A Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine as Postexposure Prophylaxis for Covid-19

ZILCH yet again!
But ex, all of the people from my high school that barely passed bio and chem tell me this is fake news.

How could that be?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


I would believe them rather than me & the best of the best publishing in the best journals on the planet.

PS The amount of pure, unadulterated ignorance in this world never ceases to amaze me. Tell your high school associates to slug down their daily HCQ with Lysol & everything will be ok.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
KGboss
RealGM
Posts: 20,893
And1: 9,618
Joined: Mar 03, 2011
Location: Boston Garden
       

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1147 » by KGboss » Thu Aug 6, 2020 2:30 pm

exculpatory wrote:
KGboss wrote:
exculpatory wrote:https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638?query=TOC

A Randomized Trial of Hydroxychloroquine as Postexposure Prophylaxis for Covid-19

ZILCH yet again!
But ex, all of the people from my high school that barely passed bio and chem tell me this is fake news.

How could that be?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk


I would believe them rather than me & the best of the best publishing in the best journals on the planet.

PS The amount of pure, unadulterated ignorance in this world never ceases to amaze me. Tell your high school associates to slug down their daily HCQ with Lysol & everything will be ok.
Hahaha I've been blocked a few times already...its just hard to be quiet

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Slax
Analyst
Posts: 3,358
And1: 4,298
Joined: Jul 08, 2010
Location: New York
       

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1148 » by Slax » Sun Aug 9, 2020 2:02 am

Very interesting thread about how with social distancing measures, herd immunity can come at a much smaller % of infected:
Read on Twitter


Encouraging thought, but this also means it's important to keep social distancing until a vaccine comes in order to minimize the number of people infected and harmed.
User avatar
Romeiro Celtic
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,193
And1: 5,114
Joined: Jan 04, 2017
Location: Brazil
     

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1149 » by Romeiro Celtic » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:18 am

Hey guys, I'm back. It's been a long while, hope you're all doing alright! I haven't been able to post, since i had the coronavirus infection and spent 3 weeks in the hospital, gladly I wasn't in a very serious condition, but I had to do pulmonary physiotherapy for 2 weeks and tons of CT scans. Fully recovered now and at home. I'm more than happy to watch the games again and talk to you guys.
Al Horford wrote:Brad Stevens is a genius, man.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 30,727
And1: 59,134
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1150 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:51 am

Romeiro Celtic wrote:Hey guys, I'm back. It's been a long while, hope you're all doing alright! I haven't been able to post, since i had the coronavirus infection and spent 3 weeks in the hospital, gladly I wasn't in a very serious condition, but I had to do pulmonary physiotherapy for 2 weeks and tons of CT scans. Fully recovered now and at home. I'm more than happy to watch the games again and talk to you guys.

Sorry to hear you caught the virus, but glad to know you're back on your feet. Just in time for the playoffs too. You and Marcus Smart are now bonded somehow. Stay healthy now, man!
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 8,174
And1: 8,781
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1151 » by djFan71 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:08 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Romeiro Celtic wrote:Hey guys, I'm back. It's been a long while, hope you're all doing alright! I haven't been able to post, since i had the coronavirus infection and spent 3 weeks in the hospital, gladly I wasn't in a very serious condition, but I had to do pulmonary physiotherapy for 2 weeks and tons of CT scans. Fully recovered now and at home. I'm more than happy to watch the games again and talk to you guys.

Sorry to hear you caught the virus, but glad to know you're back on your feet. Just in time for the playoffs too. You and Marcus Smart are now bonded somehow. Stay healthy now, man!

What he said!
threrf23
RealGM
Posts: 13,448
And1: 2,956
Joined: Mar 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1152 » by threrf23 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 7:29 am

djFan71 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Romeiro Celtic wrote:Hey guys, I'm back. It's been a long while, hope you're all doing alright! I haven't been able to post, since i had the coronavirus infection and spent 3 weeks in the hospital, gladly I wasn't in a very serious condition, but I had to do pulmonary physiotherapy for 2 weeks and tons of CT scans. Fully recovered now and at home. I'm more than happy to watch the games again and talk to you guys.

Sorry to hear you caught the virus, but glad to know you're back on your feet. Just in time for the playoffs too. You and Marcus Smart are now bonded somehow. Stay healthy now, man!

What he said!


What they said. Stay up.
Ernest
Senior
Posts: 513
And1: 427
Joined: Jun 16, 2019
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1153 » by Ernest » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:52 pm

How are we even really getting the 1 or 2 number? Who knows how many people have it, so how can the number of people they give it to be known? I was in Asia when the whole thing kicked off and heard this point for months now, but every time I question it I'm just told to shut up. I don't get it. I'm not blaming anyone. But to me the logic doesn't add up.
djFan71
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 8,174
And1: 8,781
Joined: Jul 24, 2010
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1154 » by djFan71 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:36 pm

Ernest wrote:How are we even really getting the 1 or 2 number? Who knows how many people have it, so how can the number of people they give it to be known? I was in Asia when the whole thing kicked off and heard this point for months now, but every time I question it I'm just told to shut up. I don't get it. I'm not blaming anyone. But to me the logic doesn't add up.

I'd assume it's from contract tracing of known cases. If person X has it, you talk to them, figure out who they interacted with and they get tested to determine how many of them have it. You do that enough, you have a dataset you can use to predict the average/expected rate.

But, I by no means am an expert on it, just how I assume they would do it.
Slax
Analyst
Posts: 3,358
And1: 4,298
Joined: Jul 08, 2010
Location: New York
       

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1155 » by Slax » Sun Aug 16, 2020 1:55 am

Read on Twitter
Slax
Analyst
Posts: 3,358
And1: 4,298
Joined: Jul 08, 2010
Location: New York
       

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1156 » by Slax » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:05 am

djFan71 wrote:
Ernest wrote:How are we even really getting the 1 or 2 number? Who knows how many people have it, so how can the number of people they give it to be known? I was in Asia when the whole thing kicked off and heard this point for months now, but every time I question it I'm just told to shut up. I don't get it. I'm not blaming anyone. But to me the logic doesn't add up.

I'd assume it's from contract tracing of known cases. If person X has it, you talk to them, figure out who they interacted with and they get tested to determine how many of them have it. You do that enough, you have a dataset you can use to predict the average/expected rate.

But, I by no means am an expert on it, just how I assume they would do it.


I think there are a lot of ways to estimate R-value. rt.live tries to approximate it based on something like positive tests per capita and % positive. But the "we had a new mutation of the virus a few weeks ago and it caused a change from R=2 to R=6" type stories that keep coming up sound like bull to me though - I'm not sure how you could possibly figure this information out in real time like that.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 30,727
And1: 59,134
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1157 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:37 pm

Read on Twitter
CeltsfaninDC
Analyst
Posts: 3,135
And1: 1,643
Joined: Oct 26, 2005
     

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1158 » by CeltsfaninDC » Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:45 pm

Romeiro Celtic wrote:Hey guys, I'm back. It's been a long while, hope you're all doing alright! I haven't been able to post, since i had the coronavirus infection and spent 3 weeks in the hospital, gladly I wasn't in a very serious condition, but I had to do pulmonary physiotherapy for 2 weeks and tons of CT scans. Fully recovered now and at home. I'm more than happy to watch the games again and talk to you guys.


Yikes, thats horrible but glad to hear you are better. I'm pretty sure I had it too in January. I thought it was just the worst flu I've ever had and I'm still recovering. Please do not think this is not real and not serious. I'm having trouble walking the dog without getting out breathe lately and its been months. Even if you get it and its not serious it can still have long term lingering effects. Be safe
Theocy
Pro Prospect
Posts: 855
And1: 767
Joined: Aug 27, 2017
 

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1159 » by Theocy » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:54 pm

As an outsider looking in, it feels like all the damage the effort to politicalise the virus and its impacts on the US society had made will have a long lasting effect on the virus and efforts to eradicate it.

I mean obviously there are similar movements in other European countries but it feels all the conspiracy theories and anti science ideals are given birth at the aftermath of another republican campaign or whatever this is.

I find more alarming not the death rates and how covid has changed our lives in the past 5 months, but how easily people can believe masks are killing you and are anti-American. Obviously keeping the economy at the back burner is a problem and people will push for quick and dirty pseudo solutions. But daaamn the amount of ignorance baselined against covid madness is revolutionary.

It's a sad time to be alive.
exculpatory
RealGM
Posts: 10,816
And1: 6,326
Joined: Nov 10, 2008

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1160 » by exculpatory » Sat Aug 22, 2020 9:56 am

Mason Plumlee is quite the entrepreneur.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/936143
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.

Return to Boston Celtics