ImageImageImage

Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2

Moderators: ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10, sully00, djFan71

Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 32,038
And1: 14,095
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1561 » by Curmudgeon » Thu Mar 4, 2021 9:55 pm

No, the mass vaccination site at Gilette staduim (run by Partners Health Care aka Mass General Brigham) gives the Moderna. That's where I went.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
sam_I_am
RealGM
Posts: 13,476
And1: 5,163
Joined: Jul 10, 2004

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1562 » by sam_I_am » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:06 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Is this the vaccine having an effect already? Or are you guys doing something different recently?


It’s great that numbers are down from spike but overall trend is still upward. If this was a stock chart you would predict the price was still going up. Given the mentality of Texas governer and others like him, we are possibly going to see another surge because vaccinations don’t really work maximally until >60-70% of population vaccinated. 50k cases is still ridiculously high number.
exculpatory
RealGM
Posts: 11,126
And1: 6,916
Joined: Nov 10, 2008

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1563 » by exculpatory » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:53 pm

Reference PACS in JT:

I am sure he was thoroughly tested (as in this publication) before being allowed to return to play (RTP).

This is encouraging - except for the 5 professional athletes who manifested myocarditis & were therefore not allowed to RTP.

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamacardiology/fullarticle/2777308?&utm_source=BulletinHealthCare&utm_medium=email&utm_term=030521&utm_content=NON-MEMBER&utm_campaign=article_alert-morning_rounds_daily&utm_uid=&utm_effort=
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
User avatar
Green89
RealGM
Posts: 22,745
And1: 20,383
Joined: Apr 01, 2013

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1564 » by Green89 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 5:09 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:I was a foreign service brat and was vaccinated for just about everything before I was 12-- right up through bubonic plague, which still exists in parts of Africa. The vaccinations didn't kill kill me and I didn't get sick.

The anti-vaxxers are just another cult, like Qanon. In fact, there's probably some overlap. There is something about social media that spawns cults, like bacteria in a petrie dish. Maybe some people just have too much time on their hands.


Not an anti-vaxxer but I do pick and choose which ones to get for myself and family. If anyone doesn't want them, that's their choice and to label them as a cult is extremely ignorant of you. The reactions to vaccines is real. If people don't want to take that chance, it's entirely up to them. I'm not going to judge my friend's family who don't get any vaccines because one of their loved ones died the day they got a flu shot. Maybe people like you shouldn't speak if you haven't experienced the other side of the stance you're criticizing.
User avatar
Green89
RealGM
Posts: 22,745
And1: 20,383
Joined: Apr 01, 2013

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1565 » by Green89 » Sun Mar 7, 2021 5:20 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:I got the Moderna vaccine and there was no reaction whatsoever, just a little soreness in my arm for about 12 hours. They say that the reaction from the second short can be worse, but I'm sure it's better than covid. Even a young athlete like Tatum experiences dangerous long-term effects.

If the anti-vaxxers who got covid would just go off in a corner and die, that would be ok with me. But they spread the virus to others and overload the emergency rooms.


Where's the evidence/data that shows people who've been vaccinated can't spread the virus?
Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 32,038
And1: 14,095
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1566 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Mar 8, 2021 2:35 am

Well, if the vaccine is as effective as they say... People who don't have Covid can't spread it. Yes, you could have inhaled something into your nasal passages and be asymptomatic, but that's a long shot, isn't it? That's why you continue to wear a mask. Also, the vaccines are virtually 100% effective against dying from covid.

If the vaccine doesn't slow down the spread, then herd immunity is a bogus concept.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
exculpatory
RealGM
Posts: 11,126
And1: 6,916
Joined: Nov 10, 2008

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1567 » by exculpatory » Mon Mar 8, 2021 4:29 am

Curmudgeon wrote:
1. Well, if the vaccine is as effective as they say... People who don't have Covid can't spread it. Yes, you could have inhaled something into your nasal passages and be asymptomatic, but that's a long shot, isn't it? That's why you continue to wear a mask.

2. Also, the vaccines are virtually 100% effective against dying from covid.

3. If the vaccine doesn't slow down the spread, then herd immunity is a bogus concept.


Curmudgeon is mostly correct.

1. We do not know yet definitively if the vaccines prevent asymptomatic transmission - but the data so far are encouraging. Vaccinated people must continue to mask & distance until we know.

2. 85-95% protection VS severe disease - depending on which vaccine you are talking about & the predominant variant in the country where the Phase 3, label-enabling study was performed.

3. If a variant potentially significantly resistant to the current vaccines (South Africa, Brazil, NYC) became predominant, the virus could spread & this would not invalidate the entirely valid concept of herd immunity. Time will tell.

And I must add that anyone turning down an opportunity to be vaccinated is dumber than a mother **** rock & is ignorantly/selfishly putting themselves & society at risk.

THE END. PERIOD. DONE.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
bobbutts
Freshman
Posts: 80
And1: 108
Joined: Oct 23, 2018

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1568 » by bobbutts » Mon Mar 8, 2021 4:08 pm

I'm having trouble with the idea that after the vaccine I'll need to be extra cautious still. I intend on wearing a mask indoors in public to avoid making people uncomfortable but that's about it. I feel like I've done my part against this virus by doing virtually nothing indoors for over a year now. We have to accept some level of risk for ourselves and others for everything and I think this where I am comfortable. Feels odd to be on the less cautious side after being on the more cautious side since this started but that's how I'm feeling now. Wondering if others feel similarly?
CeltsfaninDC
Analyst
Posts: 3,680
And1: 2,218
Joined: Oct 26, 2005
     

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1569 » by CeltsfaninDC » Mon Mar 8, 2021 4:17 pm

Green89 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:I was a foreign service brat and was vaccinated for just about everything before I was 12-- right up through bubonic plague, which still exists in parts of Africa. The vaccinations didn't kill kill me and I didn't get sick.

The anti-vaxxers are just another cult, like Qanon. In fact, there's probably some overlap. There is something about social media that spawns cults, like bacteria in a petrie dish. Maybe some people just have too much time on their hands.


Not an anti-vaxxer but I do pick and choose which ones to get for myself and family. If anyone doesn't want them, that's their choice and to label them as a cult is extremely ignorant of you. The reactions to vaccines is real. If people don't want to take that chance, it's entirely up to them. I'm not going to judge my friend's family who don't get any vaccines because one of their loved ones died the day they got a flu shot. Maybe people like you shouldn't speak if you haven't experienced the other side of the stance you're criticizing.

Ok, I'm more than happy to judge them for you.
Sure, you can make the choice not to get vaccinated, but that choice should also come with consequences. If you refuse to get your kids vaccinated then prepare to homeschool them bcs we don't need them infecting responsible people both kids and teachers. You don't want the shot - ok, then prepare to drive everywhere bcs I don't need you on an enclosed plane with me for hours breathing your germs on me. and on and on it should go

I'm guessing though that the people that want to make this "choice" do so for personal selfish reasons and those decision should come with consequences to protect the rest of us from you and your choices
fallguy
Analyst
Posts: 3,495
And1: 5,327
Joined: Jun 12, 2009

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1570 » by fallguy » Mon Mar 8, 2021 4:24 pm

bobbutts wrote:I'm having trouble with the idea that after the vaccine I'll need to be extra cautious still. I intend on wearing a mask indoors in public to avoid making people uncomfortable but that's about it. I feel like I've done my part against this virus by doing virtually nothing indoors for over a year now. We have to accept some level of risk for ourselves and others for everything and I think this where I am comfortable. Feels odd to be on the less cautious side after being on the more cautious side since this started but that's how I'm feeling now. Wondering if others feel similarly?


I would hope you and everyone else would follow public health advice to protect others, particularly those with specific vulnerabilities. I don't think we know exactly what that looks like, particularly with the variants. Certainly things are looking brighter but mask-wearing may become part of the culture permanently.

Especially since our industrial scale abuse of animals will send us another virus at some point down the road.

EDIT - I get it by the way. Everyone's made sacrifices. We're all burned out on this.
threrf23
RealGM
Posts: 13,799
And1: 3,370
Joined: Mar 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1571 » by threrf23 » Mon Mar 8, 2021 4:33 pm

bobbutts wrote:I'm having trouble with the idea that after the vaccine I'll need to be extra cautious still. I intend on wearing a mask indoors in public to avoid making people uncomfortable but that's about it. I feel like I've done my part against this virus by doing virtually nothing indoors for over a year now. We have to accept some level of risk for ourselves and others for everything and I think this where I am comfortable. Feels odd to be on the less cautious side after being on the more cautious side since this started but that's how I'm feeling now. Wondering if others feel similarly?


I'm generally with you. Like, I am on the verge of becoming an anti-masker. I will try to wait for those 55+ to be vaccinated. But, cases are down, vulnerable are being vaccinated, and the experts increasingly make it sound like this might never go away regardless of what we do in the here and now.

To me, there is no true semblance of normalcy as long as people are still wearing masks while going about their daily business. It's been more than a year since I ate inside a restaurant or had a drink at a bar, and I am on the verge of no longer giving a ****. But I hate that vibe where your server is wearing a mask, and you're just chilling, having a beer. It's anti-patronizing.
User avatar
Disinformation
Starter
Posts: 2,196
And1: 2,954
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
   

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1572 » by Disinformation » Mon Mar 8, 2021 8:18 pm

I continue to not understand why wearing a mask is a big deal at all. It's a slight inconvenience at most. I won't be surprised if mask wearing becomes a permanent part of our culture, if not as a result of this pandemic than likely as a result of the next one. Which I guess means people complaining about them and refusing to wear them will be a permanent fixture, too.
Disinformation's Manifesto for the 2020 Offseason

****, I don't know. 3 ECFs in the last 4 years and this team has never really felt like a contender to me. I don't know where to go from here.
threrf23
RealGM
Posts: 13,799
And1: 3,370
Joined: Mar 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1573 » by threrf23 » Mon Mar 8, 2021 10:15 pm

Disinformation wrote:I continue to not understand why wearing a mask is a big deal at all. It's a slight inconvenience at most. I won't be surprised if mask wearing becomes a permanent part of our culture, if not as a result of this pandemic than likely as a result of the next one. Which I guess means people complaining about them and refusing to wear them will be a permanent fixture, too.


Hey man, for the record, I get that they serve a purpose. I agree that wearing one is a minor inconvenience. I just can't personally relate to this attitude any more than I could relate to ddb.

Like, in many cases, I'd rather stay home where possible as opposed to wearing one, or more generally being around others who wear them. Not an issue throwing a mask on to go grocery shopping. But like, I have little to no interest in spending time with friends or family if we're all wearing masks. I have little to no interest in socializing if masks are being worn.

I don't even know exactly why that's the case. But just because it's a minor inconvenience doesn't mean I like wearing masks. And others in masks; makes me feel like we're in a hospital, or inside a doomsday movie, or maybe it just throws fear and worry and negativity front and center. Whatever the case, I'm a little antisocial to begin with, and masks kill whatever desire I have to socialize (in person) to begin with.

Over the past year, combined with trying to be responsible, this means I have stayed home a lot, I haven't gone out and socialized, I turned down the company Christmas dinner/party, I haven't felt any desire to visit family, haven't attempted to date, and I have spent literally zero time with friends. I can take that for a year where it serves a purpose. Or longer than a year if it is really, truly necessary. But...
User avatar
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,445
And1: 14,012
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1574 » by SuperDeluxe » Mon Mar 8, 2021 11:13 pm

Disinformation wrote:I continue to not understand why wearing a mask is a big deal at all. It's a slight inconvenience at most. I won't be surprised if mask wearing becomes a permanent part of our culture, if not as a result of this pandemic than likely as a result of the next one. Which I guess means people complaining about them and refusing to wear them will be a permanent fixture, too.

Image
User avatar
Green89
RealGM
Posts: 22,745
And1: 20,383
Joined: Apr 01, 2013

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1575 » by Green89 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 2:38 am

CeltsfaninDC wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:I was a foreign service brat and was vaccinated for just about everything before I was 12-- right up through bubonic plague, which still exists in parts of Africa. The vaccinations didn't kill kill me and I didn't get sick.

The anti-vaxxers are just another cult, like Qanon. In fact, there's probably some overlap. There is something about social media that spawns cults, like bacteria in a petrie dish. Maybe some people just have too much time on their hands.


Not an anti-vaxxer but I do pick and choose which ones to get for myself and family. If anyone doesn't want them, that's their choice and to label them as a cult is extremely ignorant of you. The reactions to vaccines is real. If people don't want to take that chance, it's entirely up to them. I'm not going to judge my friend's family who don't get any vaccines because one of their loved ones died the day they got a flu shot. Maybe people like you shouldn't speak if you haven't experienced the other side of the stance you're criticizing.

Ok, I'm more than happy to judge them for you.
Sure, you can make the choice not to get vaccinated, but that choice should also come with consequences. If you refuse to get your kids vaccinated then prepare to homeschool them bcs we don't need them infecting responsible people both kids and teachers. You don't want the shot - ok, then prepare to drive everywhere bcs I don't need you on an enclosed plane with me for hours breathing your germs on me. and on and on it should go

I'm guessing though that the people that want to make this "choice" do so for personal selfish reasons and those decision should come with consequences to protect the rest of us from you and your choices


Choosing not to get a shot whose reaction killed a family member is a selfish reason? I'll pass your sentiment along to that family, but I highly doubt they care if they sit next to you on a plane. Family members have similar DNA, and immune systems, so if the rest of them choose they want to avoid a possible reaction like that, that's **** selfish? Do you really think they value whether your ass is sitting next to them on a plane over their own well being? :lol:
CeltsfaninDC
Analyst
Posts: 3,680
And1: 2,218
Joined: Oct 26, 2005
     

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1576 » by CeltsfaninDC » Tue Mar 9, 2021 4:58 pm

Green89 wrote:
CeltsfaninDC wrote:
Green89 wrote:
Not an anti-vaxxer but I do pick and choose which ones to get for myself and family. If anyone doesn't want them, that's their choice and to label them as a cult is extremely ignorant of you. The reactions to vaccines is real. If people don't want to take that chance, it's entirely up to them. I'm not going to judge my friend's family who don't get any vaccines because one of their loved ones died the day they got a flu shot. Maybe people like you shouldn't speak if you haven't experienced the other side of the stance you're criticizing.

Ok, I'm more than happy to judge them for you.
Sure, you can make the choice not to get vaccinated, but that choice should also come with consequences. If you refuse to get your kids vaccinated then prepare to homeschool them bcs we don't need them infecting responsible people both kids and teachers. You don't want the shot - ok, then prepare to drive everywhere bcs I don't need you on an enclosed plane with me for hours breathing your germs on me. and on and on it should go

I'm guessing though that the people that want to make this "choice" do so for personal selfish reasons and those decision should come with consequences to protect the rest of us from you and your choices


Choosing not to get a shot whose reaction killed a family member is a selfish reason? I'll pass your sentiment along to that family, but I highly doubt they care if they sit next to you on a plane. Family members have similar DNA, and immune systems, so if the rest of them choose they want to avoid a possible reaction like that, that's **** selfish? Do you really think they value whether your ass is sitting next to them on a plane over their own well being? :lol:



Yeah it is massively selfish....especially seeing as how there are (almost) no cases to even point to.
So lets look at the numbers:
More than 312 million doses have been administered across 118 countries, according to data collected by Bloomberg. The latest rate was roughly 8.16 million doses a day.


https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-no-links-found-between-vaccination-and-deaths/a-56458746
Oh look, its all BS.
For those who don't read past the headlines, a concerning narrative appears — "Fifteen deaths after coronavirus vaccination," "Deaths at care home after coronavirus vaccine," "Volunteer in vaccine trial dies after COVID-19 vaccine."

In each case, there's more to the story than meets the eye. DW reviewed several cases in Germany, Spain, the United States, Norway, Belgium, and Peru, finding that in all cases experts from multiple health authorities could not find causal links between the vaccination and deaths.


So even is you COULD find one, thats still a one in 312,000,000 or more chance so even those other family members are at little to no risk from the vaccine (and, yes, I'm ignoring your completely ignorant DNA comment). People like you will use this ridiculous single case to claim that you MIGHT have some reaction when the odds are near zero. Just because you and they are misinformed shouldn't mean that ignorant fools get to choose not to get vaccinated and risk passing it on to others. THAT is actually where the risk of people dying is, not in the vaccine. So if you actually care about people and their health you get the vaccine and stop pretending you know anything about science or medicine
exculpatory
RealGM
Posts: 11,126
And1: 6,916
Joined: Nov 10, 2008

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1577 » by exculpatory » Tue Mar 9, 2021 7:53 pm

CeltsfaninDC wrote:
So if you actually care about people and their health, you get the vaccine and stop pretending you know anything about science or medicine.



And as a physician/scientist who has dedicated his life to excellence in the practice & teaching of medicine, & who abhors misinformation, I 10,000% endorse every one of CeltsfaninDC’s recent posts.
SamIam 2010: Truth's ability to play so incredibly efficiently is so UNDERAPPRECIATED. Bballcool 2012: Amazing how great Pierce has been for so long. Continues to defy age! KG 2013: P is original Celtic. Wherever he goes, we go. This is The Truth's house.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 32,038
And1: 14,095
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1578 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Mar 9, 2021 9:11 pm

LOL, you have an 0.002% chance of dying from your first penicillin shot. Penicillin is used to treat a wide variety of bacterial infections, many of which can also kill you, e.g. gangrene, syphilis, meningitis, pneumonia, etc. It has been estimated that penicillin has saved the lives of 200,000,000 people since its introduction.

So is that 0.002% chance going to deter you from using the medicine? Penicillin, in fact, kills an estimated 500+ people a year worldwide, so you can always find a horror story.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 23,239
And1: 12,495
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1579 » by Bleeding Green » Tue Mar 9, 2021 9:38 pm

Not getting the vaccine is like not wearing a seat belt because of Mary Jo Kopechne.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
threrf23
RealGM
Posts: 13,799
And1: 3,370
Joined: Mar 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Coronavirus/COVID-19, Thread 2 

Post#1580 » by threrf23 » Tue Mar 9, 2021 9:38 pm

It's quite selfish to refuse the vaccine and then complain about guidelines designed to protect those who have not yet been offered a vaccination...or what not.

To be fair, in lieu of evidence that the vaccine does not and will not cause any long-term health complications, I imagine that it is at least possible that there could be good reasons to refuse the vaccine.

Return to Boston Celtics