ImageImageImage

Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season?

Moderators: Froob, sully00, The Comedian, Parliament10, ParticleMan, djFan71, canman1971

The Corey's
Head Coach
Posts: 6,624
And1: 3,140
Joined: Jan 29, 2006

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#21 » by The Corey's » Wed May 27, 2020 9:53 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Early August???
Wow. A 5-month gap in play. -- That's something.



To be honest, I much prefer they just move on to the next season since they're apparently gonna use this whole thing to delay next season too and implement ideas they been kicking around anyway.

Like a december start, less games and playing further into the summer.

It actually makes me a little sick.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 27,182
And1: 27,136
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#22 » by Parliament10 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:00 pm

The Corey's wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Early August???
Wow. A 5-month gap in play. -- That's something.



To be honest, I much prefer they just move on to the next season since they're apparently gonna use this whole thing to delay next season too and implement ideas they been kicking around anyway.

Like a december start, less games and playing further into the summer.

It actually makes me a little sick.

It does give the NBA the opportunity to try out this move to a December 25th Season start.
Which they have been wanting for awhile, to distance themselves from the NFL Season.



Read on Twitter




Read on Twitter
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
robbie84
Analyst
Posts: 3,555
And1: 2,358
Joined: Dec 24, 2011
Location: Harvard, MA.
     

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#23 » by robbie84 » Thu May 28, 2020 9:43 am

The Corey's wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Early August???
Wow. A 5-month gap in play. -- That's something.



To be honest, I much prefer they just move on to the next season since they're apparently gonna use this whole thing to delay next season too and implement ideas they been kicking around anyway.

Like a december start, less games and playing further into the summer.

It actually makes me a little sick.



Each to their own man, but I for one, am really excited to have this to look forward to. Society needs sports. The season also needs to finish. It's a fantastic idea and if it takes an extra month or two to make sure it's safe and the players are ready for the competition then so be it.
24istheLAW
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,091
And1: 3,854
Joined: Jul 09, 2012
     

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#24 » by 24istheLAW » Thu May 28, 2020 5:00 pm

They ought to start the season in December. What's the point of running up against the NFL for two months at the front end of the season?

70 games instead of 82 is a tougher pill to swallow from the NBA's standpoint, because going forward it'd mean less revenue from games. But I think going forward, the midseason tourney idea could supplant those other 12 games.

I like the mini midseason tourney idea. Gives the players who are on bad teams something to compete for together, and a chance to be on national TV. Get fans of teams which out of contention to watch a few more games, and maybe that's the push they needed to keep watching the team when it's over. And with a 70 game season excluding the tourney, the point of mathematical elimination is pushed deeper into the league's calendar year. I think a bit more competition would benefit the fans and players alike.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 27,182
And1: 27,136
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#25 » by Parliament10 » Thu May 28, 2020 5:23 pm

24istheLAW wrote:They ought to start the season in December. What's the point of running up against the NFL for two months at the front end of the season?

70 games instead of 82 is a tougher pill to swallow from the NBA's standpoint, because going forward it'd mean less revenue from games. But I think going forward, the midseason tourney idea could supplant those other 12 games.

I like the mini midseason tourney idea. Gives the players who are on bad teams something to compete for together, and a chance to be on national TV. Get fans of teams which out of contention to watch a few more games, and maybe that's the push they needed to keep watching the team when it's over. And with a 70 game season excluding the tourney, the point of mathematical elimination is pushed deeper into the league's calendar year. I think a bit more competition would benefit the fans and players alike.

I don't think that they want to shorten the season, with the move to starting the season(s) on December 25th.
It likely will still be 82 games, for the time being.

They are talking about shortening the season, though. But, just not immediately (except for 2019-20, due to COVID-19).
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
Posts: 21,295
And1: 27,602
Joined: Jul 29, 2003
       

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#26 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Thu May 28, 2020 6:52 pm

I'm not in favor of shortening the season, only because it gives these snotty little kids more reason to take away accomplishments from past players. (e.g. player x was only able to accomplish those feats because they had more games during the regular season. Therefore, player Y is superior to player x)
3D Chess
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,976
And1: 6,826
Joined: Mar 17, 2017
Location: Brooklyn
 

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#27 » by 3D Chess » Thu May 28, 2020 9:21 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:I'm not in favor of shortening the season, only because it gives these snotty little kids more reason to take away accomplishments from past players. (e.g. player x was only able to accomplish those feats because they had more games during the regular season. Therefore, player Y is superior to player x)

Image
The Corey's
Head Coach
Posts: 6,624
And1: 3,140
Joined: Jan 29, 2006

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#28 » by The Corey's » Thu May 28, 2020 11:54 pm

robbie84 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:Early August???
Wow. A 5-month gap in play. -- That's something.



To be honest, I much prefer they just move on to the next season since they're apparently gonna use this whole thing to delay next season too and implement ideas they been kicking around anyway.

Like a december start, less games and playing further into the summer.

It actually makes me a little sick.



Each to their own man, but I for one, am really excited to have this to look forward to. Society needs sports. The season also needs to finish. It's a fantastic idea and if it takes an extra month or two to make sure it's safe and the players are ready for the competition then so be it.


The issue at hand is the break in play is larger than an offseason in any other circumstances.

It doesnt feel like a real championship at this point.
User avatar
KEMBAtheMETEOR
RealGM
Posts: 36,943
And1: 6,695
Joined: Feb 05, 2012
Location: The 704
   

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#29 » by KEMBAtheMETEOR » Fri May 29, 2020 12:10 am

the good news for you guys is that Kemba's eyes light up and he goes off for 40 points every time he sees the word Orlando, so you guys might win a title lol
formerly BizGilwalker
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 23,962
And1: 10,702
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#30 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri May 29, 2020 12:15 am

Disney is also saying it plans to reopen its theme parks around mid-July, which seems like a bit of a conflict.
GregB
RealGM
Posts: 11,587
And1: 2,645
Joined: Sep 21, 2004
Location: South Shore, MA
     

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#31 » by GregB » Fri May 29, 2020 12:33 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:Disney is also saying it plans to reopen its theme parks around mid-July, which seems like a bit of a conflict.


Disney has tons of different attractions. World wide would likely be dedicated to sports.
Smitty731
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 21,285
And1: 24,076
Joined: Feb 09, 2014
       

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#32 » by Smitty731 » Fri May 29, 2020 2:59 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Disney is also saying it plans to reopen its theme parks around mid-July, which seems like a bit of a conflict.


It's not. The parks aren't close to the sports complex. And the resorts they are looking at for the NBA are all isolated as well.

Disney made it clear to the NBA that they would re-open while the NBA was here. It was always part of the plan.
threrf23
RealGM
Posts: 13,103
And1: 2,511
Joined: Mar 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#33 » by threrf23 » Thu Jun 4, 2020 6:35 pm

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
jfs1000d
RealGM
Posts: 21,632
And1: 8,708
Joined: Jun 25, 2004

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#34 » by jfs1000d » Thu Jun 4, 2020 7:31 pm

Smitty! U deserve a commission from WDW resorts on sling the nba for 6 months. Lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ernest
Junior
Posts: 350
And1: 285
Joined: Jun 16, 2019
 

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#35 » by Ernest » Sun Jun 7, 2020 6:10 pm

Call me crazy, but for my money Busch Gardens would have been a better bet.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 28,893
And1: 54,326
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
 

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#36 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Jun 7, 2020 10:25 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 27,182
And1: 27,136
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#37 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jun 8, 2020 2:13 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter



Image


Yeah Babé!!!
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 28,893
And1: 54,326
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
 

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#38 » by ConstableGeneva » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:52 pm

Read on Twitter
MagicBagley18
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,712
And1: 6,677
Joined: Feb 15, 2019
   

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#39 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Smitty731 wrote:Hey All!

I don't share links to things I write outside of RealGM all that often, but I wanted to share this:

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-walt-disney-world-would-be-the-ideal-spot-for-the-nba-to-salvage-its-season-142557713.html

I shared on the GB too, but I know a lot of you don't go there. Or you're straight up banned! :lol:

If the NBA season is saved by playing at a single-site, Walt Disney World is the logical choice. Read on for why!

Hope you are all well and staying safe!

Smitty


Heard u on nba radio man...informative. Good job
Smitty731
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 21,285
And1: 24,076
Joined: Feb 09, 2014
       

Re: Could Walt Disney World save the NBA season? 

Post#40 » by Smitty731 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:18 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Smitty731 wrote:Hey All!

I don't share links to things I write outside of RealGM all that often, but I wanted to share this:

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-walt-disney-world-would-be-the-ideal-spot-for-the-nba-to-salvage-its-season-142557713.html

I shared on the GB too, but I know a lot of you don't go there. Or you're straight up banned! :lol:

If the NBA season is saved by playing at a single-site, Walt Disney World is the logical choice. Read on for why!

Hope you are all well and staying safe!

Smitty


Heard u on nba radio man...informative. Good job


Thanks man. I appreciate that!

Return to Boston Celtics