ImageImageImage

Gobert for Smart, Langford, Poirier & Ojeleye ???

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Smart, Langford, Poirer and Ojeleye for Gobert ?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 57

Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Gobert for Smart, Langford, Poirier & Ojeleye ??? 

Post#1 » by Jammer » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:18 am

Question is simple. Rumor says Gobert may be available at the end of the season.
This trade works as a 4 for 1.
Since the Celtics have Three 1rst Round Picks (currently #17, 26, 30),
the Celtics may be able to land a guard to fill Smart's role who can actually shoot.
Anyway, I would do this trade. Would you? It works under the CBA.
Jammer
General Manager

Re: Gobert for Smart, Langford, Poirier & Ojeleye ??? 

Post#2 » by Jammer » Wed Apr 22, 2020 1:55 am

Lineup after trade:

Starter, backup, reserve

C: Gobert, Theis, R. Williams (Kanter has a $5 Million Player Option, what will he do??)

PF: Tatum, G. Williams, 1rst Round Pick

SF: Hayward, G. Williams, 1rst Round Pick

SG: Brown, Green, 1rst Round Pick

PG: Walker, Wanamaker, Free Agent

That's 14 guys, while adding only 1 Free Agent, leaving one open roster spot.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Kanter.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#3 » by Gomes3PC » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:51 am

No.

Gobert is unplayable against too many teams come playoff time.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Post#4 » by 31to6 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 2:59 am

Utah gets a great role player who plays Mitchell’s position and a decent prospect for all star DPOY hmm
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,905

Post#5 » by Parliament10 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:27 am

Jammer wrote:Question is simple. Rumor says Gobert may be available at the end of the season.
This trade works as a 4 for 1.
Since the Celtics have Three 1rst Round Picks (currently #17, 26, 30),
the Celtics may be able to land a guard to fill Smart's role who can actually shoot.
Anyway, I would do this trade. Would you? It works under the CBA.

No.
I'd be more inclined to do a package around Hayward for Gobert.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#6 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:51 am

I'm not all that confident that we would want to pay him what he will demand. Gobert, Hayward, Kemba, Brown, and Tatum would all be getting north of $20 million in a few years. I doubt Hayward takes a haircut. We made the same assumption that Al would, and look how that turned out.

Smart is on a great contract and is our best perimeter defender, a valuable glue guy. Langford has shown potential to come off the bench and play good defense. His value is at its lowest right now, so I don't see Danny wanting to throw that guy into any deals just yet.

It's tempting, but I'd probably say no. I'd hate to lose Smart, only to have Gobert walk to the highest bidder after the season.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,521

Post#7 » by snowman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:06 pm

Few big holes in this idea.
1) Utah is not trading Gobert unless they get an allstar back
2) Boston would have to throw in all 3 picks for Utah to even pick up the phone, leaving our bench in even a worse place then this current year.
3) As said above, Gobert, Hayward, Brown, and Kemba will all be big money, and Tatum will be soon. We would be cap hell for 4+ years unless Hayward opts out and leaves all together, then are we really any better.

However, if Utah was stupid enough to take that offer as presented, I would take it.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,648

Post#8 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:30 pm

Ainge says no.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#9 » by Bleeding Green » Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Nah, all that for one season of Gobert before you have to max him? Great player, but for one year I'm not giving up Smart and Langford who you control for a combined 7+ years.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#10 » by grindtime22 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:05 pm

I say no and Utah probably does as well.

He just isn't the kind of big I want for playoff basketball. I would say no to Smart straight up and I've seen enough from Romeo to know he shouldn't be thought of as a throw in.
Jammer
General Manager

Post#11 » by Jammer » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:23 pm

After listening to all the comments, what about if we modified the trade, with Kanter's cooperation, to:

Kanter exercises 2021 Option for $5 Million

Celtics Trade Marcus Smart, Enes Kanter, Vincent Poirier & Semi Ojeleye for Rudy Gobert.

Utah gets Kanter and Poirer to man the middle, plus Marcus Smart and Ojeleye. Celtics keep Romeo Langford.

2021 Roster then looks like:

C: Rudy Gobert, Daniel Theis, Robert Williams III

PF: Jason Tatum, Grant Williams, 1rst Round Pick

SF: Gordon Hayward, Romeo Langford, 1rst Round Pick

SG: Jaylen Brown, Jevonte Green, 1rst Round Pick

PG: Kemba Walker, Brad Wanamaker, Free Agent PG

That's 15 guys assuming the Celtics either trade Carson Edwards for a 2nd Round Pick or simply release him, since his 2021 salary is Not Guaranteed
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#12 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:44 pm

Jammer wrote:After listening to all the comments, what about if we modified the trade, with Kanter's cooperation, to:

Celtics Trade Marcus Smart, Enes Kanter, Vincent Poirier & Semi Ojeleye for Rudy Gobert.

Utah gets Kanter and Poirer to man the middle, plus Marcus Smart and Ojeleye. Celtics keep Romeo Langford.

That's 15 guys assuming the Celtics either trade Carson Edwards for a 2nd Round Pick or simply release him, since his 2021 salary is Not Guaranteed

Kanter trashed that organization after they traded him. He's not opting in to go back there.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#13 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:45 pm

Why the hell would Utah take this deal lolololol
Jammer
General Manager

Post#14 » by Jammer » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:17 pm

I Yield. The board has exposed my binky for Gobert. The first deal that we actually voted on I thought was fair. It might end up being a better haul than Utah gets if teams actually know that Gobert is gone at the end of the 2021 season.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,905

Post#15 » by Parliament10 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:23 pm

Jammer wrote:After listening to all the comments, what about if we modified the trade, with Kanter's cooperation, to:

Smart is our Super 6th-Man, part of our Core. He's Started so much, that he's actually considered a Starter.
He's also the Heart & Soul of the Celtics. The Longest tenured, and the De facto Captain.
Why would we Trade him, for a one-year rental?

After Smart, you can't Trade enough non-essential players to equal Gobert's contract.
The only way is for Hayward to be in the mix. And most people don't want to do that, either.
Hayward is the only major redundant player, and would likely have to agree to this.

Add to all of that, that Gobert is about to be eligible for a quarter of a Billion dollar contract.
All that, for someone who is not so effective in the Playoffs.
It's a Big NO.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
grindtime22
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,656

Post#16 » by grindtime22 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:59 pm

Jammer wrote:I Yield. The board has exposed my binky for Gobert. The first deal that we actually voted on I thought was fair. It might end up being a better haul than Utah gets if teams actually know that Gobert is gone at the end of the 2021 season.

Value wise it is more than fair. We are talking about a 27 year old 2 time defensive player of the year and 2 time all NBA player. I just think our organization values Smart very highly and probably doesn't value Gobert at the status he has earned. He doesn't exactly embody the way we desire to play. He isn't Brad's preferred style of play on either end.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,395

Post#17 » by threrf23 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:08 pm

A year ago I would have talked about how it wouldn't feel right to trade Marcus in any deal, but I feel like Marcus' reckless shot selection / propensity for boneheaded plays / propensity to become easily provoked and to put his emotions above the team were as evident as ever this season, even if he has never been better as a player. Also, between Tatum's defensive emergence, and the presence of Grant Williams who can at least provide tough physical defense and hustle plays in short stretches, I feel like Marcus is less valuable to us than in previous years.

Irrevelant b/c Utah never agrees to this deal, but I'm surprised that there is such little support for our end of this deal. I know Gobert is only under contract for one more season, but the deal is lopsided enough that IMO you just accept and figure it out later. Not to mention, Smart is only under contract for two more seasons, and 2022 might represent his last chance to cash in before he turns 30. Grass ain't always greener.
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Post#18 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:28 pm

threrf23 wrote:A year ago I would have talked about how it wouldn't feel right to trade Marcus in any deal, but I feel like Marcus' reckless shot selection / propensity for boneheaded plays / propensity to become easily provoked and to put his emotions above the team were as evident as ever this season, even if he has never been better as a player. Also, between Tatum's defensive emergence, and the presence of Grant Williams who can at least provide tough physical defense and hustle plays in short stretches, I feel like Marcus is less valuable to us than in previous years.

Irrevelant b/c Utah never agrees to this deal, but I'm surprised that there is such little support for our end of this deal. I know Gobert is only under contract for one more season, but the deal is lopsided enough that IMO you just accept and figure it out later. Not to mention, Smart is only under contract for two more seasons, and 2022 might represent his last chance to cash in before he turns 30. Grass ain't always greener.

Hater, lol.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,367

Post#19 » by Homerclease » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:38 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Why the hell would Utah take this deal lolololol

Because Gobert is an overrated role player thats about to demand a supermax contract
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,367

Post#20 » by Homerclease » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:39 pm

Absolutely not, no way. Want nothing to do with Rudy Gobert. THE most overrated player in all of basketball

Return to Boston Celtics