ImageImageImage

Gobert for Smart, Langford, Poirier & Ojeleye ???

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Smart, Langford, Poirer and Ojeleye for Gobert ?

Yes
35%
No
65%

Total votes: 57

Captain_Caveman
RealGM
And1: 38,412

Re: Gobert for Smart, Langford, Poirier & Ojeleye ??? 

Post#21 » by Captain_Caveman » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:45 pm

Homerclease wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Why the hell would Utah take this deal lolololol

Because Gobert is an overrated role player thats about to demand a supermax contract

Doesn't mean they'd take that deal, or that we should even offer it. Even if he was demanding out, which he isn't.
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,373

Post#22 » by Homerclease » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:16 pm

Captain_Caveman wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Why the hell would Utah take this deal lolololol

Because Gobert is an overrated role player thats about to demand a supermax contract

Doesn't mean they'd take that deal, or that we should even offer it. Even if he was demanding out, which he isn't.

I wouldn’t trade Smart straight up for Gobert. Hell, I wouldn’t even trade Theis straight up for Gobert
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,680

Post#23 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:59 am

No way Gobert is available unless:
-- He is expected to demand to be much overpaid.
-- It is assumed he wants to go to some popular city.
-- He's really messed up the locker room there.

So ... no.

EDIT: I meant that more as ORs than ANDs.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#24 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:19 am

Fencer reregistered wrote:No way Gobert is available unless:
-- He is expected to demand to be much overpaid.
-- It is assumed he wants to go to some popular city.
-- He's really messed up the locker room there.

So ... no.

I mean, the word is that him and Mitchell are done. If that's the case though, I'd be WAY more inclined to throw the kitchen sink at Utah to try to get Donovan. Doubt either happens but to me, him and Tatum together could win a title in 2-3 years.
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#25 » by 100proof » Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:49 pm

Gobert is underrated imo.

And him at center would make this teams defense be at the same level as the offense of the 73 win warriors.

It would be league breaking.

But no way I trade smart for him. Hayward, yes.

Kemba/smart/brown/tatum/gobert

Thats a dangerous team.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#26 » by Andrew McCeltic » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:10 pm

I forgot we talk about basketball here..

Gobert is enormously talented, he just doesn't fit our system, or most systems.. could he add a 3-ball? Does that change anything? Idk.

It's not worth the cost for us to upgrade.. could go the way of Drummond, value way less than what you'd expect for his talent. He's much better than Drummond, but.. eh, he'll probably get a max from the Knicks
enzino
Veteran
And1: 141

Post#27 » by enzino » Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:03 pm

Jammer wrote:Lineup after trade:

Starter, backup, reserve

C: Gobert, Theis, R. Williams (Kanter has a $5 Million Player Option, what will he do??)

PF: Tatum, G. Williams, 1rst Round Pick

SF: Hayward, G. Williams, 1rst Round Pick

SG: Brown, Green, 1rst Round Pick

PG: Walker, Wanamaker, Free Agent

That's 14 guys, while adding only 1 Free Agent, leaving one open roster spot.

It will be interesting to see what happens with Kanter.

hard to pass on this.
but, since i love smart (he has proven that is able to play the point very well), i'd rather do a trade around kemba walker & ??? for gobert & ???. what about a three-way deal with walker going to a third franchise?
JimmyFromNz
Pro Prospect
And1: 827

Post#28 » by JimmyFromNz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:22 pm

Surprised by the poll results. Granted Utah don't touch this, I'd be happy with this deal.

We go from a good to great rebounding team, and fill the final key rim protection piece before heading into a grind it out eastern playoff race against teams like the raptors, bucks, 76ers. Having the length and active hands of Tatum/Brown, backed by the DPOY would be an utter nightmare for opposing guards. Added the proposition of guarding Giannis in the paint actually becomes manageable (no disrespect DT). Rudy night-night fundamentally challenges teams to reconsider how they structure their offense, there are very few players in the league we can say that about. Offensively, I'm more than comfortable that Rudy's limitations are mitigated by the variety of scorers we would have in any starting lineup, he remains one of the leagues top lobs threats.

In terms of the talent included, its never easy, but we are using capital in the right positions and still maintain 4 ball handlers who can initiate offense on the roster. The only intangible factor that gives me hesistancy is Smart's impact on the chemistry/leadership, similarly again though we have an abundance of guys that are positioned to step up in that regard.
enzino
Veteran
And1: 141

Post#29 » by enzino » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:39 am

Trade ID #7294952

Utah Jazz
Outgoing Players: Rudy Gobert, Bojan Bogdanovic
Incoming Players: Gordon Hayward (must OPT IN), Marvin Bagley III, 2020 1st RP (MEM)

Boston Celtics
Outgoing Players: Kemba Walker, Gordon Hayward, 2020 1st RP (BOS), 2020 1st RP (MEM), 2020 1st RP (MIL)
Incoming Players: Rudy Gobert, Harrison Barnes, De'Aaron Fox

Sacramento Kings
Outgoing Players: Harrison Barnes, Marvin Bagley III, De'Aaron Fox
Incoming Players: Bojan Bogdanovic, Kemba Walker, 2020 1st RP (BOS), 2020 1st RP (MIL)
celtxman
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#30 » by celtxman » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:09 pm

I'm not really on either side of this. I find it fascinating that some say "no way" Utah would ever do such a trade while others say Gobert is totally overrated.
On Gobert the player, I view this more in a rotisserie sort of approach. BTW nobody should focus on a probable lower cap - the concept is the same. Will he be worth $30+ million a year, maybe $40+ million after the 20-21 season? I'd want him all day long if he were going to sign back at $15 million per. It is kind of the reverse of Hayward. Since you already have him, but you think he is talented, but overpaid, how do you get value back for what he provides on the court? When you are over the cap, saving money does you no good in improving your odds at a championship. So you better be sure if you trade Hayward, you can stay talented enough to win a title. If you trade for Gobert you'd better be sure that he is worth a lucrative extension on his contract and he can put you over the top. Remember there will still be "have nots" who will pay Gobert and keep the price high.
I think with the coronavirus situation, any major trade will be hard to make without knowing how long the player will stay on the court for you. So with that element, how would you make ANY trade, right now, for Gobert where he doesn't have much contract left?
Brad Stevens on fans who want the Celtics to tank: "I don’t think they’ll like me all that much then."
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#31 » by MagicBagley18 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:35 pm

Smart and all that just for the right pay Gobert 30-35 million roughly.....no thanks
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#32 » by jfs1000d » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Jammer wrote:Question is simple. Rumor says Gobert may be available at the end of the season.
This trade works as a 4 for 1.
Since the Celtics have Three 1rst Round Picks (currently #17, 26, 30),
the Celtics may be able to land a guard to fill Smart's role who can actually shoot.
Anyway, I would do this trade. Would you? It works under the CBA.

No.
I'd be more inclined to do a package around Hayward for Gobert.

Not moving Hayward. Y’all nuts on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
theman
RealGM
And1: 1,406

Post#33 » by theman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:34 pm

I didn't realize so many Utah fans voted in Celtic polls.
"Christmas is for cops and kids" - Whitey Bulger
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#34 » by Jammer » Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:19 pm

One other possibility is if this trade happened on draft day, Utah could re-route Smart to another team for a 1rst Round Pick. I wonder how high a pick Smart could fetch? Teams always overrate the unknown versus the known. A few years ago, the Wolves offered Ricky Rubio for the Knicks #8 pick. Phil Jackson passed to draft Frank Ntilikina. Big mistake. But there is the lure of potential.
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,402

Post#35 » by Triple7 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:18 am

There is no way Hayward’s going back to utah lol. Gobert is actually overrated. He’s does not strike fear to opposing teams as a rim protector. I have seen little guys like Lillard and westbrook attack him inside. He doesn’t have any offensive moves and can’t hit his free throws. I agree with some that he’s a liability during end games offensively. Smart is really valuable to us off the bench. I’m sure utah would want Jaylen for him, which would be a big fat NO lol. Plus his salary is really sickening.

Return to Boston Celtics