ImageImageImage

Outsiders on the Celtics

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

CelticsPride18
General Manager
And1: 10,894

Re: Outsiders on the Celtics 

Post#81 » by CelticsPride18 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:32 pm

I know this seems far fetched but with all the talk about the amnesty clause on the next CBA deal a player like Blake Griffin might get amnestied and we could get him for the MLE.
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,817

Post#82 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun May 24, 2020 9:15 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:I know this seems far fetched but with all the talk about the amnesty clause on the next CBA deal a player like Blake Griffin might get amnestied and we could get him for the MLE.

Be sure to factor in how this pandemic and the loss of revenue affects the salary cap; what it was expected to be and how that may change. The MLE may be lower than expected. And considering the financial obligations we know we will have (Tatum, Hayward), how realistic is it that we will be likely to spend a lot of money over the commitments we already have.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#83 » by Floody100 » Sun May 24, 2020 10:49 pm

Beal doesn’t really do it for me.
If we’re packaging a deal around Brown I’d hope for someone not only better than Beal but someone who would fit this teams needs better than him.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#84 » by 24istheLAW » Sun May 24, 2020 11:34 pm

You don't trade for Beal strictly because of the player he is on the court. You do it to ensure that Tatum stays.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,803

Post#85 » by Parliament10 » Mon May 25, 2020 1:54 am

I'm not down or interested in trading Team Shamrock, for a few years.
Hayward and/or Theis would come before that.

This boat is working. Why Rock it?
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,627

Post#86 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 25, 2020 2:38 am

24istheLAW wrote:You don't trade for Beal strictly because of the player he is on the court. You do it to ensure that Tatum stays.

It's not obvious to me that the best way to keep Tatum is to hire his mentor/benefactor.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#87 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon May 25, 2020 12:56 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:You don't trade for Beal strictly because of the player he is on the court. You do it to ensure that Tatum stays.

It's not obvious to me that the best way to keep Tatum is to hire his mentor/benefactor.

Agreed— while Tatum may love Beal personally, I wouldnt be so sure that this is the best way to keep Tatum happy long term. Its definitely possible, dont get me wrong; but I’d guess that Tatum would prefer to be the first option somewhere and I’m not sure Beal would be overly eager to cede that role to his ‘little brother’ when he’d be quite confident that he could do that role himself.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#88 » by Feed Your Head » Mon May 25, 2020 1:15 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Agreed— while Tatum may love Beal personally, I wouldnt be so sure that this is the best way to keep Tatum happy long term. Its definitely possible, dont get me wrong; but I’d guess that Tatum would prefer to be the first option somewhere and I’m not sure Beal would be overly eager to cede that role to his ‘little brother’ when he’d be quite confident that he could do that role himself.

I know just saying something and taking a backseat are entirely different, but Beal is on the record in saying that he thinks Tatum will be a far better player than himself.

I'd prefer Mitchell, but I'd strongly consider Beal. His knees scare me somewhat, but i think if he were to be moved here, he would go back to trying on the defensive end.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#89 » by MagicBagley18 » Mon May 25, 2020 11:16 pm

The Comedian wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

I know just saying something and taking a backseat are entirely different, but Beal is on the record in saying that he thinks Tatum will be a far better player than himself.

I'd prefer Mitchell, but I'd strongly consider Beal. His knees scare me somewhat, but i think if he were to be moved here, he would go back to trying on the defensive end.

I don’t think beal would mind letting Tatum flourish just bc of the St. Louis connection
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#90 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue May 26, 2020 12:43 am

MagicBagley18 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

I don’t think beal would mind letting Tatum flourish just bc of the St. Louis connection

Nope. I don't think he'd mind at all. And there would be more than enough shots to go around for Beal. They are EXTREMELY close. And the opportunity to win a title together would be more than enough to keep them on the same page.

themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#91 » by themoneyteam2 » Tue May 26, 2020 4:43 am

Of all 20 PPG scorers, Jaylen Brown was last in usage, 2nd to last in time of possession & 3rd to last in touches.

I would love to see them keep Brown alongside Tatum long-term. They can be special!
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#92 » by hugepatsfan » Fri May 29, 2020 8:21 pm

In regards to Kemba/Hayward fitting the timeline of Tatum/Brown...

Kemba is signed for 3 years beyond this one. I would try to align Hayward on the same timeline, either through an opt out this year and a new 3 year deal or playing out this year and then signing a 2 year deal next offseason. Might have to overpay him on the two year deal but I think it would be worth it. You'd align things well to compete over the next 3 years with Kemba/Hayward and then immediately transition to a new contending core right after.

That sets you in 3 offseason from now to head into FA with Tatum/Brown on their extensions, cap holds for Romeo and Grant, and then rookie contracts for any players drafted from this year on. You'd be set up for major financial flexibility. You could potentially get yourself in position for a max or maybe go for some second tier FAs that fit with Brown/Tatum.

There are a few players who you'd have to make intermediate decisions on:

Theis is a FA after next year. So you'd have to either re-sign him to a 2 year deal or let him walk.

Robert Williams will be an RFA in 2 years. If you kept him on the RFA tender he'd be another cap hold you have to choose to keep or renounce during that planned spending spree.

The really tough one is Smart. He expires in 2 years. If you re-signed him it kind of blows up the plan of being able to go for a max (though you would still be able to sign a role player). Another possibility could be doing what MIA did with Wade where they gave him bloated one year deals with hope of leaving flexibility for the next year. Boston could try the same with Smart and the idea he would come back for less if they needed the money for someone else.

Just a suggestion.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#93 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:53 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:In regards to Kemba/Hayward fitting the timeline of Tatum/Brown...

Kemba is signed for 3 years beyond this one. I would try to align Hayward on the same timeline, either through an opt out this year and a new 3 year deal or playing out this year and then signing a 2 year deal next offseason. Might have to overpay him on the two year deal but I think it would be worth it. You'd align things well to compete over the next 3 years with Kemba/Hayward and then immediately transition to a new contending core right after.

That sets you in 3 offseason from now to head into FA with Tatum/Brown on their extensions, cap holds for Romeo and Grant, and then rookie contracts for any players drafted from this year on. You'd be set up for major financial flexibility. You could potentially get yourself in position for a max or maybe go for some second tier FAs that fit with Brown/Tatum.

Theis is a FA after next year. So you'd have to either re-sign him to a 2 year deal or let him walk.

Robert Williams will be an RFA in 2 years. If you kept him on the RFA tender he'd be another cap hold you have to choose to keep or renounce during that planned spending spree.

The really tough one is Smart. He expires in 2 years. If you re-signed him it kind of blows up the plan of being able to go for a max (though you would still be able to sign a role player). Another possibility could be doing what MIA did with Wade where they gave him bloated one year deals with hope of leaving flexibility for the next year. Boston could try the same with Smart and the idea he would come back for less if they needed the money for someone else.

Just a suggestion.

I love the Hayward, JB and JT trio..Smart as the 4th guy. I'd try to keep the core of the team as is and by the end of next season, if you can't find some cheap answers for the front court, I'd have no problem sliding Smart into the starting line up and using Kemba + pieces as trade bait for a big. Not buying Kemba as an elite PG for too much longer..
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#94 » by Floody100 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 1:29 am

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:In regards to Kemba/Hayward fitting the timeline of Tatum/Brown...

Just a suggestion.

I love the Hayward, JB and JT trio..Smart as the 4th guy. I'd try to keep the core of the team as is and by the end of next season, if you can't find some cheap answers for the front court, I'd have no problem sliding Smart into the starting line up and using Kemba + pieces as trade bait for a big. Not buying Kemba as an elite PG for too much longer..

Jonathan Isaac ?

Smart-Brown-Tatum-Isaac-Williams

The defence of that starting 5 would be insane.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,059

Post#95 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 5:42 pm

Floody100 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

Just a suggestion.

Jonathan Isaac ?

Possibly. I think if you're set on Rob being your 5 and you're taking Hayward out, I'd go for Aaron Gordon as a 4 over Isaac. Love his potential as a Iguodala type guy playing off JB and JT.. Good player to throw at Giannis and Kawhi, the likely top 2 guys in the NBA in 2 years.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#96 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jun 1, 2020 7:57 pm

BRUNiNHO91 wrote:
Floody100 wrote:
BRUNiNHO91 wrote:

Jonathan Isaac ?

Possibly. I think if you're set on Rob being your 5 and you're taking Hayward out, I'd go for Aaron Gordon as a 4 over Isaac. Love his potential as a Iguodala type guy playing off JB and JT.. Good player to throw at Giannis and Kawhi, the likely top 2 guys in the NBA in 2 years.

Don't get me started on Gordon. Personal binky of mine and always has been. I get emotionally erect even thinking about him in Green.

Return to Boston Celtics