ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

TheBounceIsReal
Sophomore
And1: 322

Re: Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#161 » by TheBounceIsReal » Mon Jul 6, 2020 6:44 pm

I doubt this would happen in reality, but I was thinking about a trade the other day that I think could make a ton of sense for both teams: Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons, with the Celtics perhaps throwing in Langford and/or a 1st or two

For Philly, it solves their biggest problem of spacing with Embiid and Simmons. Brown is an above average three point shooter on high volume (38% on 5.6 attempts per game this season) who can also attack the basket and defend at a high level.

For Boston, Simmons isn't addressing a particular weakness so much as they're adding to the team's ceiling. Simmons is already a 1st team all defensive team caliber player, and a matchup nightmare for other teams. He's also played almost all of his career next to another guy who can't shoot at all, and would likely be even better with the spacing a team like Boston provides. His ceiling is, to me, pretty clearly higher than Jaylen's at this point, even with all of the controversy around his jump shot.

What do we think?
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#162 » by 24istheLAW » Mon Jul 6, 2020 7:14 pm

TheBounceIsReal wrote:I doubt this would happen in reality, but I was thinking about a trade the other day that I think could make a ton of sense for both teams: Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons, with the Celtics perhaps throwing in Langford and/or a 1st or two

For Philly, it solves their biggest problem of spacing with Embiid and Simmons. Brown is an above average three point shooter on high volume (38% on 5.6 attempts per game this season) who can also attack the basket and defend at a high level.

For Boston, Simmons isn't addressing a particular weakness so much as they're adding to the team's ceiling. Simmons is already a 1st team all defensive team caliber player, and a matchup nightmare for other teams. He's also played almost all of his career next to another guy who can't shoot at all, and would likely be even better with the spacing a team like Boston provides. His ceiling is, to me, pretty clearly higher than Jaylen's at this point, even with all of the controversy around his jump shot.

What do we think?

I don't like it for Philly. Jaylen is a great transition player. He's a good-but-not-great halfcourt player. Even if you're improving the spacing issue compared to Embiid/Simmons, you're still pairing a guy who is at his best running, with a guy who is at their best in the halfcourt set up. If you're trading Simmons, IMO you need to target a guy like Bradley Beal or Devin Booker.
TheBounceIsReal
Sophomore
And1: 322

Post#163 » by TheBounceIsReal » Mon Jul 6, 2020 7:46 pm

24istheLAW wrote:
TheBounceIsReal wrote:I doubt this would happen in reality, but I was thinking about a trade the other day that I think could make a ton of sense for both teams: Jaylen Brown for Ben Simmons, with the Celtics perhaps throwing in Langford and/or a 1st or two

What do we think?

I don't like it for Philly. Jaylen is a great transition player. He's a good-but-not-great halfcourt player. Even if you're improving the spacing issue compared to Embiid/Simmons, you're still pairing a guy who is at his best running, with a guy who is at their best in the halfcourt set up. If you're trading Simmons, IMO you need to target a guy like Bradley Beal or Devin Booker.

Those are fair options. I do think the differences in contracts should be taken into account though. Beal only has two more years left on his contract with a player option in 2022/2023. Booker and Brown both have four years after this, but Brown will be making on average around $6m less per year.

I'm also not entirely sold on either guy on defense, but either of those would be defensible alternatives to Brown if Washington/Phoenix would go for it.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#164 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 2:37 am

I wonder if Indy would be interested in Hayward. I’m sure Gordon wouldn’t mind going back home- his wife and family will even be there after their baby is born with Gordon’s family helping the transition.

Not sure exactly what deal there is to be made but we always had interest in turner+ fillers to match Gordon’s salary or then there’s the whole Oladipo thing with Indy. I think if we decide to trade Gordon, Danny and Brad are going to try to get him into an ideal situation he likes without us getting totally screwed obviously. Not saying I prefer turner to Aaron Gordon but finding a deal with Indy where we can get something we like back and getting Hayward home seems like a win win
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,433

Post#165 » by shackles10 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 4:22 am

Turner and Warren works for me.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#166 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:01 pm

I would trade everything we have except Tatum, Brown, and Smart for Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,317

Post#167 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:26 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:I would trade everything we have except Tatum, Brown, and Smart for Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson.

Lmfao obviously
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#168 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:34 pm

shackles10 wrote:Turner and Warren works for me.

Turner is about as good a player as Hayward. Maybe a little better, maybe a little worse. Hayward is a unique player in that he's a point forward type, but Turner is a unique player as someone who can defend both front court spots and shoot the 3 respectably. Hayward has a massive 1 year deal then can walk. Turner is signed to a great extension for 3 years.

Warren is a solid player on a solid deal. He can be a volume scorer and he's passable defensively.

If we're trading Hayward for Turner there's no way we're getting anything of value back with him. Jeremy Lamb would likely be the salary matching piece. And that sounds good but remember he had a Hayward-type leg injury at the end of the year so he likely misses all/most of '20-21 and then sucks in '21-22 which is the pattern most guys take before getting back to normal from that type of injury (see Hayward this year).

There's this idea that IND has a log jam with Sabonis and Turnr. I don't see it. Sabonis can't defend 4s or 5s. Turner defends both. That lets them matchup as best they can. Turner is a crucial part of covering for Sabonis. And on offense he can be somewhat of a floor spacer. I don't see the urgency to move one.

If Hayward really wants to be there I think the most they'd offer would be Warren and Lamb with a future pick for us taking on Lamb. That requires Hayward opting out and signing a S&T deal starting in the mid 20s for salary. And if Hayward is willing to sign that then we'd just just him to it ourselves vs trade him for Warren/Lamb.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#169 » by RickyDizzle » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:48 pm

Here's my Orlando idea that doesnt involve Aaron Gordon.

Isaac, Fournier, Ross for Hayward, Romeo, and Edwards, Memphis 1st

If Hayward opts in, Orl probably doesnt give up Isaac for a rental. Fournier probably doesnt opt in either, having a great year. But if Hayward opts in for the one year deal, I think hes gone soon and we should get something for him.

We could start kemba, JB, JT, Isaac, Theis with a bench of Smart, Ross, Fournier, Grant, Bob Williams, etc. Also it breaks Haywards contract into smaller tradeable mid sized pieces.

Orlando has two 4s and moves on from Isaac to give Gordon his minutes, gets Hayward who is a better playmaker than Fournier and picks up Langford and a pick to add some upside.

Dizzy
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#170 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jul 7, 2020 2:05 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:Here's my Orlando idea that doesnt involve Aaron Gordon.

If Hayward opts in, Orl probably doesnt give up Isaac for a rental. Fournier probably doesnt opt in either, having a great year. But if Hayward opts in for the one year deal, I think hes gone soon and we should get something for him.

We could start kemba, JB, JT, Isaac, Theis with a bench of Smart, Ross, Fournier, Grant, Bob Williams, etc. Also it breaks Haywards contract into smaller tradeable mid sized pieces.

Orlando has two 4s and moves on from Isaac to give Gordon his minutes, gets Hayward who is a better playmaker than Fournier and picks up Langford and a pick to add some upside.

Dizzy

Bamba/Issac/Fultz are the players they want to keep and build around. They aren't giving up any of them for a 30 year old Hayward. Just won't happen.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#171 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Jul 7, 2020 2:14 pm

Well, Hayward can't be traded unless he opts in. And if he does, he's a rental so his value goes down. You might get the Knicks to bite on Randall, Ntilikina and filler if you threw in draft picks, but I'm guessing that Leon Rose is saving his assets for a run at Devin Booker.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#172 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:17 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Well, Hayward can't be traded unless he opts in. And if he does, he's a rental so his value goes down. You might get the Knicks to bite on Randall, Ntilikina and filler if you threw in draft picks, but I'm guessing that Leon Rose is saving his assets for a run at Devin Booker.

Randall is a negative and Ntilikina is probably worth a second rounder. No way would we have to throw in picks.

That said, not sure the Knicks would even really want Hayward. Seems like they should be rebuilding. That said, a point forward like Hayward would do a lot for helping their young players develop. So I think they could be interested, but not if they had to give value. And we won't be looking to salary dump Hayward for nothing. It'd have to be value coming back, even if not equal value basketball wise.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,433

Post#173 » by shackles10 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:20 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
shackles10 wrote:Turner and Warren works for me.

Turner is about as good a player as Hayward. Maybe a little better, maybe a little worse. Hayward is a unique player in that he's a point forward type, but Turner is a unique player as someone who can defend both front court spots and shoot the 3 respectably. Hayward has a massive 1 year deal then can walk. Turner is signed to a great extension for 3 years.

Warren is a solid player on a solid deal. He can be a volume scorer and he's passable defensively.

If we're trading Hayward for Turner there's no way we're getting anything of value back with him. Jeremy Lamb would likely be the salary matching piece. And that sounds good but remember he had a Hayward-type leg injury at the end of the year so he likely misses all/most of '20-21 and then sucks in '21-22 which is the pattern most guys take before getting back to normal from that type of injury (see Hayward this year).

There's this idea that IND has a log jam with Sabonis and Turnr. I don't see it. Sabonis can't defend 4s or 5s. Turner defends both. That lets them matchup as best they can. Turner is a crucial part of covering for Sabonis. And on offense he can be somewhat of a floor spacer. I don't see the urgency to move one.

If Hayward really wants to be there I think the most they'd offer would be Warren and Lamb with a future pick for us taking on Lamb. That requires Hayward opting out and signing a S&T deal starting in the mid 20s for salary. And if Hayward is willing to sign that then we'd just just him to it ourselves vs trade him for Warren/Lamb.

Pacer fans definitely have, and there’s a lot in terms of minutes/lineup pairings/usage to suggest the Pacers organization itself is more of the camp that they’re unsure of the Sabonis/Turner pairing you mentioned than you are. The Pacers are never big free agent players even when they have money. I think they’d gamble on Hayward signing that 1) he’d provide more for them than he is for us with an expanded role 2) he’d provide more than Turner is for them because of his continually diminished role 3) he helps their chances of resigning Dipo more than standing pat does 4) they stand a great chance to resign Hayward since he’s local and he’d have a big role there and 5)the fans will definitely be more interested in Hayward than they would be Turner and Warren so even if Dipo leaves they’ve got a Hayward/Sabonis pairing to at least keep them in playoff contention and to keep fans attention. There’s a reason the Pacers never tank. They can’t afford to.

In no way am I saying the deal is a lock, but I don’t think we’d have to sweeten it much. Lamb wouldn’t even see minutes here if we’re also getting Warren so he’s totally just filler and one of those guys every team has and also has no problem replacing any offseason because they’re always available in free agency or for very little at deadlines. The reasons for us are more obvious in it gives us depth, gives us a starting center who fits into Brad’s style much like Horford did, and financial flexibility either in terms of going forward with both or with making pairings for upgrades via trades if needed.
Floody100
Analyst
And1: 4,990

Post#174 » by Floody100 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 10:28 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:Here's my Orlando idea that doesnt involve Aaron Gordon.

Dizzy

Definitely won’t happen but damn I’d love Isaac here. Not only the perfect 4 for us but keeps Tatum at the 3 too.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,523

Post#175 » by snowman » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:04 pm

Small roster spot consolidation trade idea:

Edwards and Semi for Grayson Allen

Allen is a decent 3 & D off the bench, knows Tatum well, (played together at Duke) and would be another gritty defender beside Smart. Would also free up a roster spot for a draft pick or to being Waters up from G. league. Allen would also take J. Green's minutes, freeing up another roster spot.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#176 » by RickyDizzle » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:12 pm

snowman wrote:Small roster spot consolidation trade idea:

Edwards and Semi for Grayson Allen

Allen is a decent 3 & D off the bench, knows Tatum well, (played together at Duke) and would be another gritty defender beside Smart. Would also free up a roster spot for a draft pick or to being Waters up from G. league. Allen would also take J. Green's minutes, freeing up another roster spot.

I like it. Not sure if theres more minutes for romeo or less after this. But we def need a consolidation trade or two arouns the edges. I would also say Grayson would take wanamakers minutes with smart being more of the 2nd unit pg. Allen and Smart can def play together as the bench guards. Waters, the third pg but playing less than wanamaker.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#177 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:28 pm

How about this as the framework of a deal if Hayward opts in:

BOS gets; F Jerami Grant (3 year deal via S&T)
DEN gets: F Gordon Hayward
ATL gets: G Gary Harris (taken into cap space)

Grant takes Hayward's place at PF for such less money that it opens up the full MLE for us. Sign Ibaka to a 3 year deal. Use the bi-annual exception on DJ Augustine

Kemba / Augustine
Brown / Smart
Tatum / Langford
Grant / G. Williams
Ibaka / Theis
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#178 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:03 pm

Grayson Allen is a dirty player and a punk. I could never root for a team with him on it.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#179 » by hugepatsfan » Wed Jul 8, 2020 3:09 pm

Imagine this won't be popular for people who love Bob Williams' upside but hear me out...

BOS gives: F Gordon Hayward, F Semi Ojeleye, C Robert Williams
BOS gets: F Jerami Grant (3 year deal via S&T), trade exception

DEN gives: F Jerami Grant (3 year deal via S&T), G Gary Harris, future 2nd rounder

ATL gives: nothing
ATL gets: G Gary Harris, F Semi Ojeleye, C Robert Williams, future DEN 2nd rounder

This deal frees us up to use the FULL MLE this year. We could target a C like Serge Ibaka who brings that 3&D play to the C spot - give him a 3 year deal to lock him in. Grant takes Hayward's place in the lineup and would be a great stretch 4 to move Tatum to the SF spot. We create a trade exception that would be worth anywhere from $20-25M depending on what Grant's 1st year salary is. We wouldn't be able to use it this year because we'd want to stay under the tax, but next year we'd go over it. Sign a guy like DJ Augustine with the bi-annual exception. Kanter either gets traded or stretch provision-ed to free up a little spending room under the tax, same with Poirier. Our 10 man rotation would be:

Kemba / Augustine
Brown / Smart
Tatum / Langford
Grant / G. Williams
Ibaka / Theis

On the "third unit" you still have #17/#26/#30. Carsen Edwards you keep around for another year and then sign Waters to an NBA deal. You use the #46 pick on a 2-way deal and bring Tacko back for another year.

We'd have Grant's middle-tier salary, Ibaka's middle tier salary, and then the trade exception next year to use in trades. Theis would be a FA but you look to sign him to a 2 year deal. With all of the rookie scale players we'd be able to facilitate trades, which we don't really have the ability to do now.

I specifically chose 3 years for Ibaka/Grant because it lines them up to expire with Kemba. This means in 3 years we'll have max cap space to build around Tatum/Brown/Smart and all the rookie scale players left over the next few drafts.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#180 » by skywalker33 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 3:36 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:Imagine this won't be popular for people who love Bob Williams' upside but hear me out...

BOS gives: F Gordon Hayward, F Semi Ojeleye, C Robert Williams
BOS gets: F Jerami Grant (3 year deal via S&T), trade exception

DEN gives: F Jerami Grant (3 year deal via S&T), G Gary Harris, future 2nd rounder

ATL gives: nothing
ATL gets: G Gary Harris, F Semi Ojeleye, C Robert Williams, future DEN 2nd rounder

This deal frees us up to use the FULL MLE this year. We could target a C like Serge Ibaka who brings that 3&D play to the C spot - give him a 3 year deal to lock him in. Grant takes Hayward's place in the lineup and would be a great stretch 4 to move Tatum to the SF spot. We create a trade exception that would be worth anywhere from $20-25M depending on what Grant's 1st year salary is. We wouldn't be able to use it this year because we'd want to stay under the tax, but next year we'd go over it. Sign a guy like DJ Augustine with the bi-annual exception. Kanter either gets traded or stretch provision-ed to free up a little spending room under the tax, same with Poirier. Our 10 man rotation would be:

Kemba / Augustine
Brown / Smart
Tatum / Langford
Grant / G. Williams
Ibaka / Theis

On the "third unit" you still have #17/#26/#30. Carsen Edwards you keep around for another year and then sign Waters to an NBA deal. You use the #46 pick on a 2-way deal and bring Tacko back for another year.

We'd have Grant's middle-tier salary, Ibaka's middle tier salary, and then the trade exception next year to use in trades. Theis would be a FA but you look to sign him to a 2 year deal. With all of the rookie scale players we'd be able to facilitate trades, which we don't really have the ability to do now.

I specifically chose 3 years for Ibaka/Grant because it lines them up to expire with Kemba. This means in 3 years we'll have max cap space to build around Tatum/Brown/Smart and all the rookie scale players left over the next few drafts.

Doubt that DEN will want to take on that $66M left on Haywards contract, while also giving up their PFOTF. MPJ is slotted for the SF position so this trade would diminish his role, not happening. I do see the benefits for BOS though.
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!

Return to Boston Celtics