ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,783

Re: Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#281 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:14 pm

Jackson shot under 30% from beyond the arc last year and he's only 32% lifetime. No thanks. To put this in perspective, Semi Ojeleye is a better three point shooter than Jackson, and it isn't close.

I'd rather pay a little more for a guy like Bjelica, Svi Mykhailiuk or local product Georges Niang.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
hugepatsfan
Head Coach
And1: 6,309

Post#282 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:15 pm

Someone in the trade/transactions thread posted this idea for Dipo to BRK with CHA as a 3rd team...

Nets trade LeVert/Allen/PHI1st for Oladipo/McConnell
Brooklyn bets on Victor's recovery in a contract year, and lands the 3rd star they've been seeking.

Hornets trade Rozier/Martin/Martin/CHA1st for Warren/Lamb/Allen
Charlotte ends the two-PG experiment, solidifies their wing rotation and gains a cornerstone C for their rebuild.

Pacers trade Oladipo/Warren/Lamb/McConnell for LeVert/Rozier/Martin/Martin/CHA1st/PHI1st
Indiana shaves $9mil in payroll and sidesteps Victor's next payday, while adding quality vets and two 1sts.

Only way IND is moving Dipo is if they get word he's leaving. So let's run with that premise. Wonder if Boston could jump into this as a 3rd team over CHA with Hayward. Pacers fans will tell you the team has never opted for "rebuilding" type packages. They always attempt to remain competitive. CHA fans in the main forum also said that this deal wasn't worth the draft pick for them so not sure that would be on the table.

My updated proposal with us taking CHA's place:

1) Nets trade LeVert/Allen/PHI1st for Oladipo/McConnell. This is same as the original trade idea for them. They get their 3rd star. Simple concept.

2) Pacers trade Oladipo/Warren/Lamb/McConnell for LeVert/Hayward/PHI 1st. Compared to the original idea, I have them replacing Rozier/Martin/Martin/#8 pick for Hayward. In terms of salary this wipes out the ~$9M savings the original deal had them with but they're already under the tax so that's ok. They end up moving the SG/SF combo of Dipo/Warren for Levert/Hayward. That replaces the shot creation lost with Dipo and adds a big upside piece in Levert. They also add a pick. McConnell is an easily replacable bench piece. Lamb was a good bench piece but shredded his knee so probably toast now for at least a year. Hayward is an expiring player on his option, but IND can just tack years on with an extension to lock him in. Seems something he'd be open to after his big payday on the option.

3) Celtics trade Hayward for Warren/Lamb/Allen. The 3 players we're getting make a combined $26.2M compared to Hayward's $34.2M option. So if we do this and then stretch/waive or salary dump Kanter we can get under the tax and avoid repeater rates. Warren isn't the all around playmaker Hayward is but he can score and play passable defense. Allen is the young center to round out our front court and add rebounding. Lamb is dead weight now with the injury but we're still below the tax and then maybe he can bounce back in year 2 off of injury or be an expiring for a future deal.

How do you guys feel about this, considering both the basketball aspect of it as well as the financial side. If luxury tax isn't an issue I'd rather just keep Hayward but if Wyc does impose those sort of financial constrictions on Ainge, I think this is a real solid basketball deal that also addresses the financial side of things.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#283 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:55 pm

I thought Oladipo wanted to go to Miami. If so, why would he resign in Boston? Oladipo has also turned me off with his on again-off again statements about playing in the bubble.

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#284 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:04 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:I thought Oladipo wanted to go to Miami. If so, why would he resign in Boston? Oladipo has also turned me off with his on again-off again statements about playing in the bubble.

I didn't have Dipo coming to us. The idea started with a BRK fan proposing him going there. So I built it off of that. We ended up with Warren and Lamb from IND and Jarrett Allen from BRK.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#285 » by themoneyteam2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:08 pm

LOL some of these ideas on here are straight out of 2K and have zero chance of happening in real life
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#286 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:17 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:LOL some of these ideas on here are straight out of 2K and have zero chance of happening in real life

That's what someone would have said if you posted a plan of us trading for Ray and KG in one offseason. Or trading IT for Kyrie. Or even last deadline's (HOU/MIN/ATL/DEN trade was 4 teams an involved a bunch of notable pieces (Beasley, Covington, Capela). Or the D-Lo/Wiggins trade involved two huge contracts, one of which in Wiggins people thought was immovable. Big money and multi-trade teams happen sometimes.

It's pretty well documented that BRK wants to move pieces for a 3rd star. There's chatter Dipo might not want to stay in IND for his next dealand their history is to move players who want to leave for win now pieces they can retool around rather than rebuilding packages (Artest, Paul George). COVID has created a luxury tax crunch for Boston that didn't exist previously as it relates to Hayward. I think all the pieces are there in that last deal as a basic framework... Dipo to BRK as their 3rd star, Hayward to IND as a retooling piece so they can remain competitive without Dipo, quality but cheaper players back to Boston.
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#287 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:47 pm

giant wall of text trade proposals........i know the calendar says july but we have actual basketball to be played. the front office will figure things out accordingly, lets play ball
MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#288 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:50 pm

i will say tho, that most of these frameworks for deals are already being discussed like the sean d article suggests. i just do not see the celtics making the moves some here do. all the cap gymnastics will handle themselves
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,191

Post#289 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:58 pm

I don't see anything major for us either. More roster/pick consolidation and improving deep bench pieces type of transactions. So our improvement next season likely comes from internal development, Js taking another leap, and purchasing Kemba a bionic knee.

My Hayward prediction has always been he opts in and agrees to a short-term extension.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#290 » by themoneyteam2 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:11 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:LOL some of these ideas on here are straight out of 2K and have zero chance of happening in real life

That's what someone would have said if you posted a plan of us trading for Ray and KG in one offseason. Or trading IT for Kyrie. Or even last deadline's (HOU/MIN/ATL/DEN trade was 4 teams an involved a bunch of notable pieces (Beasley, Covington, Capela). Or the D-Lo/Wiggins trade involved two huge contracts, one of which in Wiggins people thought was immovable. Big money and multi-trade teams happen sometimes.

It's pretty well documented that BRK wants to move pieces for a 3rd star. There's chatter Dipo might not want to stay in IND for his next dealand their history is to move players who want to leave for win now pieces they can retool around rather than rebuilding packages (Artest, Paul George). COVID has created a luxury tax crunch for Boston that didn't exist previously as it relates to Hayward. I think all the pieces are there in that last deal as a basic framework... Dipo to BRK as their 3rd star, Hayward to IND as a retooling piece so they can remain competitive without Dipo, quality but cheaper players back to Boston.

I wasn't specifically talking about being a 3rd team having Oladipo come to Boston but that one is ludicrous yes.

I was more so talking about the whole thread of trade ideas straight out of 2K that have no chance of happening .
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,520

Post#291 » by snowman » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:07 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:Jackson shot under 30% from beyond the arc last year and he's only 32% lifetime. No thanks. To put this in perspective, Semi Ojeleye is a better three point shooter than Jackson, and it isn't close.

I'd rather pay a little more for a guy like Bjelica, Svi Mykhailiuk or local product Georges Niang.

You will pay ALOT more more those guys, including draft picks, if you could get them. And for the record. Semi is only a 33 % lifetime 3 pt. shooter (I would say that's close to 32 %) on much fewer attempts. (189 of 581 for Jackson, 104 0f 312 for Semi) Semi has also never avg. more than 3.3 pts a game (2 years ago) versus Jackson has never avg. UNDER 5.5. Jackson also avg. 2.6 reb. for his career versus 1.5 for Semi. Semi also shoots at a 39 % clip overall, versus 39.9 for Jackson, and Semi avg. .39 assists versus 1.06 for Jackson.
Looks to me that Jackson has numbers over Semi in every category, and too use your way of looking at it, it isn't even close.

However, to be clear, the idea was Poirier and Edwards, not Semi, but I would do Semi also. Either works on trade checker.

Edwards and Semi for Jackson
or
Edwards and Poirier for Jackson

Your choice.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,802

Post#292 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:53 pm

captain green wrote:I think Hayward best days are over but he is still good enough to take over a game or 10. I've tried every team in trade checker and still can't find a clear win to trade him, best case scenario is no longer paying him 30+mil and I can't think of any player that actually attitude wise can replace his versatility and attitude(I mean we hear nothing but contentment with his role.) Chemistry wise at 20 mill I can eat that. Until an actual trade I think we're slightly stuck or rather handicapped by our roster. Look I want a trade for a a legit top 15 big I think it is the missing piece how to get it is damn well difficult! But I ain't trading Hayward unless its for a big not a replacement of his position.

I think that Hayward has to be traded for at least 2 players. Because of his salary and his usefulness.
At this stage, I still think that he could be a #2 Option somewhere.

I still like the:
Gordon Hayward = Myles Turner, Jeremy Lamb.

There would have to be some other Trades made as well, to round out our Roster.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#293 » by SmartWentCrazy » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:34 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:i will say tho, that most of these frameworks for deals are already being discussed like the sean d article suggests. i just do not see the celtics making the moves some here do. all the cap gymnastics will handle themselves

Thats my best guess— basically, just see ya later Poirier, Edwards and Kanter, probably with our first attached. Clears 10M and should remove us from paying the tax.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#294 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:40 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:I thought Oladipo wanted to go to Miami. If so, why would he resign in Boston? Oladipo has also turned me off with his on again-off again statements about playing in the bubble.

I didn't have Dipo coming to us. The idea started with a BRK fan proposing him going there. So I built it off of that. We ended up with Warren and Lamb from IND and Jarrett Allen from BRK.

Sorry, my eyes glazed over. But why facilitiate the Nets getting Oladipo?

MagicBagley18
RealGM

Post#295 » by MagicBagley18 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:04 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:i will say tho, that most of these frameworks for deals are already being discussed like the sean d article suggests. i just do not see the celtics making the moves some here do. all the cap gymnastics will handle themselves

Thats my best guess— basically, just see ya later Poirier, Edwards and Kanter, probably with our first attached. Clears 10M and should remove us from paying the tax.

Totally and it usually plays out like that....it is fun to see how creative people can get but these 3-4 team deals just rarely ever happen. And I’d bet ainge stevens and co would much rather make the small move like you suggested to clear 10m in space while getting out the tax than shipping out Hayward.

I’ve maintained that behind the scenes stevens ainge and the organization is much higher on Hayward than most here.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#296 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:18 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

That would have worked pre-COVID. Issue is that with the cap projected to stay flat now vs go up by $6M, those moves alone wouldn’t be enough. We’d need Hayward to opt out and re-sign for a deal that pays him about $6M less in ‘20-21 to make up the difference. Which may or may not be something he’s interested in.

That’s why I keep saying that the financial dynamics of keeping Hayward has changed. All through the deadline reports were he was “core” and we wanted to extend which made sense. And it’s be easy to just tack on extra years to his deal at a lower salary while he still gets his option year. Then get under the tax with a deal like you propose. With current projections that now has the much more complicated step of having Hayward opt out first rather than just be extended.

Still a lot to be determined with the final tax line so we’ll see how things go there. But potentially being over the tax in 20-21 vs not is a very material change and I just wonder if it changes the feasibility of keeping Hayward. So that’s why I’ve been interested in thinking what we could realistically deal him for.
hugepatsfan
Head Coach

Post#297 » by hugepatsfan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:25 pm

Curmudgeon wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

Sorry, my eyes glazed over. But why facilitiate the Nets getting Oladipo?

Because if they want him and IND is motivated to move him then I think they’re gonna work it out with or without us. And if we’re in a situation where keeping Hayward long term doesn’t work I think Warren is a very solid wing scoring replacement, J Allen is a very nice young center and Lamb is a bad contract but still wouldn’t prevent us from saving lots of money in the deal. So I just thought it checked a lot of boxes for us.

Like I said though, I want to keep Hayward. It’s just a contingency idea for if that’s not possible long term. For the most part I’d rather just keep Hayward for a year even if Wyc won’t resign him. But I thought multiple years or Warren/Allen would be enticing enough to make the move. Just throwing out ideas I find interesting from the league-wide board.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,221

Post#298 » by djFan71 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:20 am

Super exciting, but: 26, 30, Semi for 21. Denver is a good drafting team, could use a wing like Semi cheap.
We get 2 shots at a good selection of guys in the 14-21 range and shed 2 roster spots.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,520

Post#299 » by snowman » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:49 am

djFan71 wrote:Super exciting, but: 26, 30, Semi for 21. Denver is a good drafting team, could use a wing like Semi cheap.
We get 2 shots at a good selection of guys in the 14-21 range and shed 2 roster spots.

The roster spots we need to be shedding are:
Poirier : replaced with Tacko, end of bench big Tacko surely can be better than Poirier
Wannamaker: replace him with Waters. Much better floor leader and shooter. Perfect 3rd pg behind Kimba and Smart.
Green: any of the wings picked with the 17th (Nesmith) would be an upgrade. Houston game showed we need bench 3pt shooting bad.
Edwards. replace him with anyone that can do more than 1 thing, more than once in a while.
Curmudgeon
RealGM

Post#300 » by Curmudgeon » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:53 pm

Newsflash: players 8-17 on the Celtics roster are not good enough to beat Houston's first string, with Harden and Westbrook, especially on a night when Harden is shooting lights out. I wouldn't base any trade ideas on last night's scrimmage.

As for roster spots, all of the players named above could be waived. The question is who you can find to replace those players.

Return to Boston Celtics