ImageImageImage

Trade Ideas Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Re: Trade Ideas Thread 

Post#341 » by sam_I_am » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:14 pm

hugepatsfan wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
snowman wrote:I understand all the "Trade Hayward" post due to the cap issues that his contract brings. IMO, it will work it's self out with an extension next off season, after he opts in and plays out that year. Danny won't let him pull a Horford, and I don't think he would do that to Brad without full warning, and an opportunity to match if he did. So, with that being said, I think he showed why we need him in the game against the Bucks. When one of our guys (Kimba, Tatum or Brown) is not producing on a given night He and Smart are able to turn it up a notch. Neither of these 2 need to be the focal point, but can be when needed. To have this available as your 4th and 5th players, is something no other team has.

With that being said, I think (IMO) we need to move the roster spots 12-15:
Edwards, while he still has some value, if he still has any
Poirier, just don't see anything he provides that Tacko can't do as our 4th big
Green, very athletic, but no consistency on shot
Semi, I had forgot he was drafted the same draft as Tatum. Need to move him while he still has perceived value.

That's 7.4 mil in salary in 20/21 and another 1.8 (Edwards) in 21/22. Tacko can replace Poirier, and Waters can replace Edwards. Let's find a 1 for 4 trade and sweeten it with our picks and 1.8 mill in cash to move our bench in the right direction. Then we would have the 17th to replace the last spot.

How about Derick Rose 7.7 mil for 1 year, for Edwards, Poirier, Green, Semi and the 26th pick along with 1.8 mil cash to buy out Edwards last guaranteed year. Detroit only has 10 guys under contract next season, so a 4 for 1 wouldn't be a concern. They could just release who they don't want.

OK. In theory, a consolidation trade like that is great. But it means we're keeping the keepers, e.g:

Natural centers/bigs: Theis, Kanter, Time Lord, Tacko

Natural forwards: Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Grant

Natural guards: Kemba, Smart, Langford, Waters

Could we really get somebody who'd earn significant minutes if all those other guys were staying?

Waters and Tacko are G-leaguers who have never had even a hint of sustained success at the NBA level. Langford hasn't had any success. Grant has been solid enough to play low minutes, nothing more. Time Lord has shown flashes but not consistent quality play in low minutes when he's even healthy enough to play.

All of those guys are young but if you remove blind allegiance to guys we drafted and want to see succeed, it shouldn't be very hard to find better players than those guys. That's not to say we should give them away because there is obviously room to grow. But it really wouldn't be difficult to land better players in trades or veteran signings. It's just about balancing future development with win now pieces.

We need third contract vet role players. They know what they are, they are happy with whatever contract they can get and all they want is to be in a winner. This team is starving for guys like Danny Green who know their role but can step it up when called upon. I really like Semi, Wannamaker, Grant etc. but to play with the best we need a true vet off the bench. Smart is almost that guy but he still has too much alpha in his game.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#342 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 7:59 pm

Is trading for Johnathan Issac the 4D chess move that we need to make to finish this team's core off?

There's 0% chance he'll play next year, and it would be pretty easy to unsettle him by telling his agent we'll offer him a big extension on completion of the trade.

This team has ZERO need for more Wannamaker, Grant Williams, Carsen Edward players. We already have more than enough of those.

And Orlando might be one of those franchises desperate enough to want to try and stay in the playoffs next year to accept something like.

Poirer, Carsen Edwards, Green, this year's 17, 26, 30 picks.

Again it's a super long term move. There's 0% chance Issac plays next season and even then he might not play well till the season after that. But as of today he's 22 so if there is a chance he retains his defensive presence and develops a 3 ball he could be that last banana of a player to really round out our young core of Tatum, Brown, Issac while we try to keep our older guys in Kemba and Hayward up and running.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,235

Post#343 » by djFan71 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 8:11 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Is trading for Johnathan Issac the 4D chess move that we need to make to finish this team's core off?

There's 0% chance he'll play next year, and it would be pretty easy to unsettle him by telling his agent we'll offer him a big extension on completion of the trade.

This team has ZERO need for more Wannamaker, Grant Williams, Carsen Edward players. We already have more than enough of those.

And Orlando might be one of those franchises desperate enough to want to try and stay in the playoffs next year to accept something like.

Again it's a super long term move. There's 0% chance Issac plays next season and even then he might not play well till the season after that. But as of today he's 22 so if there is a chance he retains his defensive presence and develops a 3 ball he could be that last banana of a player to really round out our young core of Tatum, Brown, Issac while we try to keep our older guys in Kemba and Hayward up and running.

If you can get ORL to go for it, absolutely. I think they are playing the long game and know he's their only possible All-NBA player even, so I really doubt they panic and sell him off.

BUT, if the do, sign me up.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#344 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 8:27 pm

djFan71 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Is trading for Johnathan Issac the 4D chess move that we need to make to finish this team's core off?

If you can get ORL to go for it, absolutely. I think they are playing the long game and know he's their only possible All-NBA player even, so I really doubt they panic and sell him off.

I feel like right now you're in a rare position to do meddling.

So if you happen to talk to Issac's agent and say you know, if Issac demanded a trade to us we'd give him 20 million a year extension for 5 years today that would be great.

Then you put ORL in a tough spot because Issac would want that right now being hurt so often and might say ORL you need to offer that max extension today or I refuse to resign with you and I'll never wear another Magic jersey.

I'ts 100% tampering but the league does it so.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#345 » by djFan71 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:11 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Spoiler:
djFan71 wrote:

So if you happen to talk to Issac's agent and say you know, if Issac demanded a trade to us we'd give him 20 million a year extension for 5 years today that would be great.

Then you put ORL in a tough spot because Issac would want that right now being hurt so often and might say ORL you need to offer that max extension today or I refuse to resign with you and I'll never wear another Magic jersey.

You know, I answered right away since I've loved his potential since the draft. But, his games per year are pretty rough. 27, 75, 34. And this is the 2nd injury to that knee. What makes me really want him is his insane defense. If he loses any mobility due to this, you're not getting the guy you dreamed of. ACLs seem to be something you recover from fully, but who knows? It would definitely be a ballsy move.

For ORL side, they hold all the cards. Don't offer an extension, see how he recovers and then offer a max or just match him in RFA. Regardless of any yapping his agent might do. That kind of stuff is usually short-lived anyways. Only way they lose is If he really, really, really wants out and goes for the QO. But, given his injury history and history of people going that route (Noel, Nerlens) it's not a likely move.
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#346 » by captain green » Tue Aug 4, 2020 1:32 am

I want no part of Isaac, but I'll take MO though. Orlando and Indiana seems like the most goto trades. I do like turner too so I can see why. I challenge someone to try a Lakers trade or a rockets trade just to see lol
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,521

Post#347 » by snowman » Tue Aug 4, 2020 12:26 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:
OK. In theory, a consolidation trade like that is great. But it means we're keeping the keepers, e.g:

Could we really get somebody who'd earn significant minutes if all those other guys were staying?

Waters and Tacko are G-leaguers who have never had even a hint of sustained success at the NBA level. Langford hasn't had any success. Grant has been solid enough to play low minutes, nothing more. Time Lord has shown flashes but not consistent quality play in low minutes when he's even healthy enough to play.

All of those guys are young but if you remove blind allegiance to guys we drafted and want to see succeed, it shouldn't be very hard to find better players than those guys. That's not to say we should give them away because there is obviously room to grow. But it really wouldn't be difficult to land better players in trades or veteran signings. It's just about balancing future development with win now pieces.

We need third contract vet role players. They know what they are, they are happy with whatever contract they can get and all they want is to be in a winner. This team is starving for guys like Danny Green who know their role but can step it up when called upon. I really like Semi, Wannamaker, Grant etc. but to play with the best we need a true vet off the bench. Smart is almost that guy but he still has too much alpha in his game.

The 12 I listed as keepers, Kimba, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Theis, Smart, Kanter, Grant, R. Williams, Langford, Waters and Tacko, all seem to be in the Celtics future. The rest, Wannamaker, Green, Edwards, Poirier, and Semi, not so sure. I'm certain that package would bring back nothing in value. But if you throw in picks 26 and /or 30, like I said, and just consider them salary (I know that sounds harsh, but it's a business) then we could get a quality vet wing shooter to come off the bench. That is the biggest need at the moment, that I see the need for.

So, to answer the question, yes I do see time available for a quality vet wing shooter off the bench to crack the rotation. He would fit in nicely if Smart is playing point, and Langford and this vet shooter are sg/sf, with Grant and Kanter as the bigs, would work quite well. That would leave Waters, our pick at 17 ( hopefully 14) R. Williams, Tacko and another vet FA to round out the 15 man roster. I'd even be willing to keep Edwards out of the trade and give him another year instead of signing another vet.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,864

Post#348 » by Curmudgeon » Tue Aug 4, 2020 1:01 pm

There is no question that more scoring is needed on the second unit. One way to fix that is to start Grant Williams and to bring Hayward and Smart off the bench. Sure it would be nice to trade for a guy like Bjelica, but 28 other teams are looking for the same thing, and so the price goes up.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Post#349 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Aug 4, 2020 2:17 pm

sam_I_am wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

This.

Not a sexy name by any stretch but I'm all for taking another crack at Marvin Williams again this offseason. Kemba had been working him but he chose Milwaukee. But I'd try again. Definitely on the older end for sure but knows his game. Can still post up a little on the right matchup. Can still shoot it and drive the occasional closeout. Would fit as a mini-MLE type of guy. Another guy I'd go after is Pat Connaghton. Smart player. Athletic. Can shoot a little. These are vet guys that know how to stay in their lane, be dependable and support the best players.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,680

Post#350 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Aug 4, 2020 8:16 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:
hugepatsfan wrote:

This.

Not a sexy name by any stretch but I'm all for taking another crack at Marvin Williams again this offseason. Kemba had been working him but he chose Milwaukee. But I'd try again. Definitely on the older end for sure but knows his game. Can still post up a little on the right matchup. Can still shoot it and drive the occasional closeout. Would fit as a mini-MLE type of guy. Another guy I'd go after is Pat Connaghton. Smart player. Athletic. Can shoot a little. These are vet guys that know how to stay in their lane, be dependable and support the best players.

Are these guys who could cope well with their minutes coming and going, depending upon which of the younger players were or weren't performing reliably?
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#351 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Aug 4, 2020 9:35 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
sam_I_am wrote:

This.

Are these guys who could cope well with their minutes coming and going, depending upon which of the younger players were or weren't performing reliably?

I do. Especially in the case of Williams. He's 34. His minutes are already a little sporadic in Milwaukee. But he's been a pro's pro. Ainge has always been a fan going back to his college days at UNC. You can stick him out there for 20 minutes and he won't hurt you. But he's the kind of chemistry vet that I think would do well here with whatever minutes he gets. And where I think he can really help us is situationally as a small big in the Grant Semi role but a little taller and unlike the other 2, he can actually make bigs pay for cheating off of him.

Connaughton's a little younger at 27. Local boy of course. But I like the idea of a Smart-Connaughton backcourt. Again, smart player. Won't ask for too much. Stays within himself. Knows how to play off the ball and complement dynamic wings.

Neither of these guys are gonna cost a lot...like at all. But Brad will get them to play over their salaries. They won't make waves. They'll fit in. They have attributes that would work well on a team like this and they just raise the experience level of a bench group that needs it.

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#352 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:35 am

After watching Philly play and seeing Simmons checked out, I think he’s seriously pissed about being labeled PF and think he may ask out this summer.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#353 » by Feed Your Head » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:45 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:After watching Philly play and seeing Simmons checked out, I think he’s seriously pissed about being labeled PF and think he may ask out this summer.

Jaylen and Smart for Simmons. /ducks
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#354 » by SmartWentCrazy » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:50 am

The Comedian wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:After watching Philly play and seeing Simmons checked out, I think he’s seriously pissed about being labeled PF and think he may ask out this summer.

You read my mind, mate.

Also, look at their chemistry:

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#355 » by djFan71 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 5:46 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

You read my mind, mate.

I don't love the fact that you have to start off with "seeing Simmons checked out", but the talent definitely intrigues me. I'd probably pass just on the attitude difference.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,395

Post#356 » by reload141 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 5:58 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

You read my mind, mate.

bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#357 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:08 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

You read my mind, mate.

No, don't do this. Don't make me go there again. I worked so hard to get that out of my system because there's no chance it's happening.

jmr07019
General Manager
And1: 7,755

Post#358 » by jmr07019 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:52 pm

Simmons seems to have a lot of Dwight Howard / Carmelo Anthony in him. All the talent in the world but immature as can be.
Show Love Spread Love
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#359 » by keevsnick1 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 4:18 pm

djFan71 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
Spoiler:
djFan71 wrote:If you can get ORL to go for it, absolutely. I think they are playing the long game and know he's their only possible All-NBA player even, so I really doubt they panic and sell him off.

You know, I answered right away since I've loved his potential since the draft. But, his games per year are pretty rough. 27, 75, 34. And this is the 2nd injury to that knee. What makes me really want him is his insane defense. If he loses any mobility due to this, you're not getting the guy you dreamed of. ACLs seem to be something you recover from fully, but who knows? It would definitely be a ballsy move.

For ORL side, they hold all the cards. Don't offer an extension, see how he recovers and then offer a max or just match him in RFA. Regardless of any yapping his agent might do. That kind of stuff is usually short-lived anyways. Only way they lose is If he really, really, really wants out and goes for the QO. But, given his injury history and history of people going that route (Noel, Nerlens) it's not a likely move.

Ya no thanks. I think the guys skill set is perfect but he is too injury prone to ever consider him as the long term solution at big.
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#360 » by keevsnick1 » Wed Aug 5, 2020 4:22 pm

The Comedian wrote:

*Sees you duck and changes angle of incoming foot to your face*

No. Basketball wise I'd just flat out rather have guys who can actually shoot in today's NBA. And I actually like Jaylen, while I loathe Simmons as a person.

Return to Boston Celtics