ImageImageImage

OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton

Moderators: Froob, sully00, The Comedian, Parliament10, ParticleMan, djFan71, canman1971

User avatar
GoCeltics123
RealGM
Posts: 10,487
And1: 16,252
Joined: May 05, 2015
         

OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#1 » by GoCeltics123 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:01 am

Read on Twitter


Wowwwwww
The greatest movie bet of all time:

"I want the Celtics to cover, I want Celtics halftime, I want Garnett points and rebounds."

I lost the bet so I Hate Truth18
neno
Pro Prospect
Posts: 969
And1: 730
Joined: Mar 26, 2008

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#2 » by neno » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:11 am

When news reached Red Sox broadcaster Joe Castliglone he was quoted as saying
"Cam you believe it"
User avatar
BillTheGOAT
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,452
And1: 1,274
Joined: Oct 23, 2008
 

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#3 » by BillTheGOAT » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:15 am

This is huge, I think we're back in the game now.
User avatar
Kemba For Three
RealGM
Posts: 10,423
And1: 16,758
Joined: Jan 03, 2018
       

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#4 » by Kemba For Three » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:15 am

I like it, give him another chance.

Cam used to be really really good.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 27,189
And1: 27,140
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#5 » by Parliament10 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:39 am

That's a decent haul. I wonder how much it was for?
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
31to6
RealGM
Posts: 13,126
And1: 15,368
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: all your picks

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#6 » by 31to6 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:45 am

Wow didn’t think they’d do it but glad they did.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
RealGM
Posts: 18,670
And1: 9,440
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: PNW
     

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:01 am

Parliament10 wrote:That's a decent haul. I wonder how much it was for?

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over

Roddy wrote:- The NBA without Seattle is not the real NBA
User avatar
Kemba For Three
RealGM
Posts: 10,423
And1: 16,758
Joined: Jan 03, 2018
       

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#8 » by Kemba For Three » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:30 am

He may not be what he once was but maybe Bill can revive him.

It's worth the shot though IMO. Needed a vet and he's a former MVP.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 28,895
And1: 54,332
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
 

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#9 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:39 am

Wear a mask, so you can have your football back.
User avatar
Green89
RealGM
Posts: 20,463
And1: 17,615
Joined: Apr 01, 2013

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#10 » by Green89 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:55 am

Read on Twitter
User avatar
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
Posts: 23,083
And1: 12,945
Joined: Mar 04, 2009
Location: Rio De Janeiro, Brasil...
     

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#11 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:47 am

Would be awesome if dude could find his way to being a great QB again..

Pats x Bucs superbowl would be pretty **** sweet.
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 28,895
And1: 54,332
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
 

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#12 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:39 pm

Read on Twitter
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 15,484
And1: 24,439
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#13 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:45 pm

This is awesome. Great move.

Even if he’s 70% of what he once was, he’s still way better than Stidham. Plus, the guys in the locker room will believe they can win it all with Cam and will absolutely play/train harder than if they thought they were playing for nothing.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 29,128
And1: 10,314
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#14 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:53 pm

Is Newton healthy?
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
bucknersrevenge
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,138
And1: 4,415
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Philly
Contact:
         

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#15 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:17 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:This is awesome. Great move.

Even if he’s 70% of what he once was, he’s still way better than Stidham. Plus, the guys in the locker room will believe they can win it all with Cam and will absolutely play/train harder than if they thought they were playing for nothing.


You get an entire offense with this guy. Our O-line is back healthy again and good. You give this guy a good line that can help keep him upright and he makes the rest of the players around him so much more dangerous because of his mobility and his gravity. And while unproven, I would suggest that there is enough offensive talent on this team to work with. a solid if not spectacular run game with a diversity of ballcarriers. Edelman, Sanu, Harry, and Meyers make up an intriguing group of receivers that will be able to adapt to Newton's ability to make plays on the run and extend broken down plays in ways Brady could never. I love our young TE tandem and I think Newton is gonna get a ton of utility from them. And then add all of this to a defense that is still good. I think we're a dangerous team.
There is no statute of limitation on Twitter. Remember that...
User avatar
Green89
RealGM
Posts: 20,463
And1: 17,615
Joined: Apr 01, 2013

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#16 » by Green89 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:36 pm

Read on Twitter
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 15,484
And1: 24,439
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#17 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:04 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:This is awesome. Great move.

Even if he’s 70% of what he once was, he’s still way better than Stidham. Plus, the guys in the locker room will believe they can win it all with Cam and will absolutely play/train harder than if they thought they were playing for nothing.


You get an entire offense with this guy. Our O-line is back healthy again and good. You give this guy a good line that can help keep him upright and he makes the rest of the players around him so much more dangerous because of his mobility and his gravity. And while unproven, I would suggest that there is enough offensive talent on this team to work with. a solid if not spectacular run game with a diversity of ballcarriers. Edelman, Sanu, Harry, and Meyers make up an intriguing group of receivers that will be able to adapt to Newton's ability to make plays on the run and extend broken down plays in ways Brady could never. I love our young TE tandem and I think Newton is gonna get a ton of utility from them. And then add all of this to a defense that is still good. I think we're a dangerous team.


Yep. Plus, Burkhead and White are great receivers out of the backfield and Cam love playing with them
themoneyteam2
Pro Prospect
Posts: 916
And1: 1,115
Joined: Oct 19, 2019
     

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#18 » by themoneyteam2 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:06 pm

#šhïñëthrūthëšhädē
bucknersrevenge
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,138
And1: 4,415
Joined: Jul 05, 2012
Location: Philly
Contact:
         

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#19 » by bucknersrevenge » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:56 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
bucknersrevenge wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:This is awesome. Great move.

Even if he’s 70% of what he once was, he’s still way better than Stidham. Plus, the guys in the locker room will believe they can win it all with Cam and will absolutely play/train harder than if they thought they were playing for nothing.


You get an entire offense with this guy. Our O-line is back healthy again and good. You give this guy a good line that can help keep him upright and he makes the rest of the players around him so much more dangerous because of his mobility and his gravity. And while unproven, I would suggest that there is enough offensive talent on this team to work with. a solid if not spectacular run game with a diversity of ballcarriers. Edelman, Sanu, Harry, and Meyers make up an intriguing group of receivers that will be able to adapt to Newton's ability to make plays on the run and extend broken down plays in ways Brady could never. I love our young TE tandem and I think Newton is gonna get a ton of utility from them. And then add all of this to a defense that is still good. I think we're a dangerous team.


Yep. Plus, Burkhead and White are great receivers out of the backfield and Cam love playing with them


https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/29380793/grading-cam-newton-move-patriots-little-risk-huge-potential-new-look-patriots-offense

Embedded in this article, they talk a bit about the ways in which we can use him and how Newton in a sense replaces Gronk more than Brady in that he gives Bill his versatility back. Without Gronk or any sense of effective TE talent We could no longer disguise our play calling. All you needed to do was look into the backfield and see which back was on the field. Gronk was such an effective blocker and pass-catcher that when we ran 22 personnel (2TE, 2WR) we could disguise our intentions better and with Brady's computer-like brain, he could make adjustments and cut defenses to ribbons based on the personnel defenses put on the field.

With Newton, a healthy, rejuvenated O-line, a replenished TE core, Sanu, and Edelman, Newton once again allows us to disguise our offense and I definitely expect McDaniels to create some sets that will allow Newton to make some pretty easy reads and be able to run or pass out of those sets. You could go up-tempo with that personnel and run or vertically attack the seams or roll out and go deep with Harry or Byrd. He'll be absolute matchup nightmare.
There is no statute of limitation on Twitter. Remember that...
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
Posts: 20,413
And1: 25,245
Joined: Jun 25, 2007
   

Re: OT: Patriots sign Cam Newton 

Post#20 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:57 pm

I don't think he makes the roster lol.

Return to Boston Celtics