ImageImageImage

Rank our bench players

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,893

Rank our bench players 

Post#1 » by Joshyjess » Thu Aug 6, 2020 5:59 pm

This is just for fun (so I hope nobody takes it too seriously), but how would you rank each of our backup players? On a scale of 1 - 10 (with 1 being an end of the bench on the worst G-league team type of player) to 10 (being an all-star type player who would probably start on almost any other team in the leauge) what grades would you assign to each player?
I'll sart
** Marcus Smart - 8 - 9 It's not too often that your team leader comes off the bench. Smart is one of the candidates for DPLOY, and he is an absolute firecracker when the C's need a boost. Smart doesn't rely on stats to give him his worth. He can affect a game without ever getting a basket. Smart's biggest weakness - those games where he doesn't shoot well, yet keeps heaving them up anyway.
**Enes Kanter - A solid 7. His ability to control the offensive board is amazing. He's not a great offensive player, but he does add an amazing tool for Stevens to plug in when needed.
**Robet Williams - 6. He has more atheltic ability the most guys in a league full of ahtletic freaks. When his game is on, he is so much fun to watch. He's still pretty raw, but we've seen some great flashes of potential from him (and some real stinkers).
**Grant Williams - 6. What he does, he does really well. He's a great teammate, and he gives it 110% every time he's on the floor. Still has a long way to go, but the potential is definitely there.
**Semi Ojeyle - 5 (pushing closer to a 6). Semi is one of those guys, that can surprise you on any given night. He has the ability to come up big in the big moments. Recently his three point shooting has been much more consistent. On the other hand, he still has far too many games where he's more of a negative than a positive.
**Tremont Waters - 5. His size will always be a big minus for him, but how many times have we seen him completely take over a game at point. I can see him easily becoming a 7 or 8 in the future, but for right now, I have him as a 5
**Romeo Langford - 5. This one is hard, because I'm still not sure what he can do. He shows some amazing flashes of brilliance, and his on-ball defense is really good. But again, there are too many games where he just disappears. He is another potential for a high score in the future.
**Brad Wannamaker - 5. Somedays Brad is a 7 or 8, and other days he is down to a 3. So I'll give him the average and say a 5.
**Javante Green - 5. Javante is a human-highlight film. He has more energy then most guys in the league, and when he gets that drive under control, he can play some great ball. Too often, though, he tries to let his ability do all the work, and he just makes a ton of mistakes. I've like what I've seen of him this season, and I think if he were on a team where he got more chances to play, he could be a really solid role player.
**Tacko Fall - 4. I know it might be kind of high for a guy who almost never plays, but the one thing about Tacko is that whenever he steps onto the court, he automatically changes the way other teams play. His mere presence makes all but the bravest players settle for outside jumpers. When Tacko first enters the game, he's pretty awful. After a few minutes, however, he does seem to settle down, and actually contribute to the offense.
**Vincent Poirier - 3. He's big. That's it.
**Carson Edwards - 3. If he could should the ball like we saw in the pre-season, he would rank muhc higher. Unfortunately for most of this season, he has been a poor three-point shooter. Since that's basically his one redeeming aspect, without that, he is probably the worst player on the team. For a little guy to make it in the league he needs to shoot lights out (or be able to get to the rim like I.T.), otherwise he just looks horrible.

So, how would you rank our bench guys?
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,788

Re: Rank our bench players 

Post#2 » by 31to6 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 6:30 pm

All 10s

Fire Danny!
Free Romeo!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#3 » by djFan71 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 7:40 pm

8: Smart. If we were ranking just bench players, 10, but 10 was All-star, so I gave him 8.
5: Kanter/Wanamaker/Grant. Wanamaker is the most steady 5. Grant & Kanter go from 4-8 depending on matchups. Again, if if 10 is all-star, then 5 is average NBA player. These guys are pretty much average now.
4.5: Romeo. Probably below average due to low PT / shooting / inconsistency for now, but with flashes of being much more. Has by far the biggest realistic upside of any bench player.
4: Semi/Timelord. Both matchup dependent & inconsistent for now.

Rest are far below average players. Some upside, but if any of them makes it to 5 it's a huge accomplishment.
OldCeltics
Veteran
And1: 2,728

Post#4 » by OldCeltics » Thu Aug 6, 2020 8:25 pm

Smart
Kanter
200 more ..
Everyone else.
Jaqua92
RealGM
And1: 7,384

Post#5 » by Jaqua92 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 9:12 pm

If a 10 is an all star, Smart is about a 6. Hes a real solid bench player. That's what he is. He isn't anything close to a star.

Everyone else drops a point or two, and I agree.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#6 » by captain green » Thu Aug 6, 2020 9:57 pm

Smart is a 7 wannamaker 6 Kanter 6 time lord 5 gwill 5 Langford 4 green 4 waters 4 semi 4 fall 3
Edwarfs 2 Poirer 1
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#7 » by SMTBSI » Thu Aug 6, 2020 10:46 pm

Smart
--- gap ---
Kanter / Wanamaker
--- gap ---
Grant / Ojeleye

Everyone else = Incomplete

No one else but those five have yet proven they can actually stay on the court against good teams. (You may call a guy like Ojeleye a negative against a good team, and you may be right, but he's not so negative that you can't weather his spot minutes.)

Kanter's clearly better at the things he does well than Wanamaker is at the things he does well, but Kanter is also borderline unplayable in some matchups, so that hurts his ranking.

Grant probably has a ton more potential than Semi, but in the present, their contributions are substantially similar.

It's not a great bench. Had to make a lot of sacrifices for Kemba. But there's potential for improvement, in the youths and more incoming picks.
PtruthP34
Senior
And1: 78

Post#8 » by PtruthP34 » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:35 pm

Disclaimer: green glasses add .5 - 1 point

Smart - 8: Defense and intangibles are 10’s, and he’s improved his shooting and playmaking to be above average. He’s only a liability in games when Antoine Walker possesses him, but even then he can still get hot from time to time with Toine at the controls.

Kanter - 7: May seem like a high number due to his matchup limitations, but Brad uses him well and for the minutes he’s in, Kanter typically stands out as a difference maker on the boards, in the post, and providing general physicality/toughness.

Romeo - 6: Romeo’s defense is legit and I could see him potentially surpass Jaylen as our premier perimeter wing stopper at some point. Jaylen has more physical strength but I think Romeo is right there with elite lateral quickness and reflexes and better natural “feel” and anticipation. Offensively he is multi skilled and makes things happen. Shooting consistency will come with time but otherwise I see no holes in his game.

Waters - 5.5: Tremont looks ready to step into that 3rd guard change of pace role and really excel. I love his defensive impact for a little guy. We won't see that until next year unfortunately.

Rob Williams - 5: all that’s keeping Williams from being a 7 right now is consistency and defensive awareness, and that’s just his floor. If he reaches his potential we could be looking at a 16/10/3/3/2 guy on 65% TS, which is like a 9

Grant Williams - 5: I’m a believer in Grant’s shooting stroke long term and like his overall game. Still haven’t seen enough of him to say if he’s a true impact player, someone who can legitimately crack a 9 man rotation for a contender.

Wannamaker - 5: the epitome of “solid”. Good size and strength, adequate passer and ball-handler and an underrated shooter. He’s a good 3rd pg but IMO a true contender should ideally not rely on any “average” 5 or under players as part of their core rotation.

Ojele - 4.5: good to see the shooting confidence. If that keeps up he’s not a liability

Edwards - 4: I still see “double-digit bench scorer” as his most probable NBA timeline

Poirier- 3: Appreciate the hustle and team spirit big guy

Tacko - TBD. I really don’t know how to rate him properly. He changes the game on both ends in so many ways, some positive, some negative. Will need to see him in non-garbage time to accurately assess
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#9 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Aug 6, 2020 11:58 pm

Smart-7: Great defense and can initiate on offense. Streaky shooter. Flops too much. 30 minutes a game
Romeo-6: Has some upside as a backup combo guard who doesn't kill you on either end. 15-20 minutes a game max
Kanter-5: Terrible defense negates great offensive rebounding and scoring around the rim. 15 minutes a game
Grant Williams-4: 6'5" Power Forwards who can't shoot are better left as bodies for starters to go against in practice and garbage time
Rob Williams-4-6'9" Centers who can't shoot are better left as bodies for starters to go against in practice and garbage time
Wannamaker-4:should not be on an NBA roster
Ojele-3: should not be on an NBA roster
Edwards-2: should not be on an NBA roster
Poirier-1: should not be on an NBA roster
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#10 » by MagicBagley18 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 1:01 am

Smart

Everyone else

Return to Boston Celtics