ImageImageImage

Williams over Kanter situational?

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

24istheLAW
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,290
And1: 4,136
Joined: Jul 09, 2012
     

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#21 » by 24istheLAW » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:26 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Because Rob Williams has so many impact plays and his coaches still hate him and go to Grant **** Williams to win in game 7 over him even when they think he has a matchup advantage...

I have to assume for coaches he's still blowing his assignments constantly left and right on defense and making mistakes.

Hopefully, next year is the first year he stays healthy and he gets enough game time (assuming he has good habits) and he'll be a positive piece of our rotation. I trust the coaching staff on this one and put the blame on the TimeLord for not beating out rookie level competition in Gran Williams.


Rob Williams got 18 minutes in game 7, 6th on the team in minutes, he's already a bigger part of the rotation than Grant Williams.

Rob is the better offensive player, Grant is the better defensive player. They were protecting a lead in that situation, so defense won out. But I don't think it's a fair narrative that Rob is in the doghouse, when if anything he's seized a bigger role this postseason.
User avatar
Celts17Pride
RealGM
Posts: 44,166
And1: 29,851
Joined: Nov 27, 2005

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#22 » by Celts17Pride » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:51 pm

Kanter really has no value to the Celtics in the playoffs. Kanter was always depth to get the Celtics through the regular season. Very expendable next year
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 20,810
And1: 6,913
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#23 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:08 pm

24istheLAW wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Because Rob Williams has so many impact plays and his coaches still hate him and go to Grant **** Williams to win in game 7 over him even when they think he has a matchup advantage...

I have to assume for coaches he's still blowing his assignments constantly left and right on defense and making mistakes.

Hopefully, next year is the first year he stays healthy and he gets enough game time (assuming he has good habits) and he'll be a positive piece of our rotation. I trust the coaching staff on this one and put the blame on the TimeLord for not beating out rookie level competition in Gran Williams.


Rob Williams got 18 minutes in game 7, 6th on the team in minutes, he's already a bigger part of the rotation than Grant Williams.

Rob is the better offensive player, Grant is the better defensive player. They were protecting a lead in that situation, so defense won out. But I don't think it's a fair narrative that Rob is in the doghouse, when if anything he's seized a bigger role this postseason.


The idea that a 6'5" slow guy who is a rookie that the Raptors went to over and over again and scored is a better defender than Rob Williams who has all the physical gifts in the world and been in the NBA more than 0 years....

Yeah that's an indictment of Rob Williams for sure. The coaches must not trust him in the slightest. At this point it's on Rob. To get beat out by a rookie like Grant at Center for defense... YIKES.
Image
CelticsPride18
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,010
And1: 5,853
Joined: Oct 31, 2013
       

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#24 » by CelticsPride18 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:11 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:Because Rob Williams has so many impact plays and his coaches still hate him and go to Grant **** Williams to win in game 7 over him even when they think he has a matchup advantage...

I have to assume for coaches he's still blowing his assignments constantly left and right on defense and making mistakes.

Hopefully, next year is the first year he stays healthy and he gets enough game time (assuming he has good habits) and he'll be a positive piece of our rotation. I trust the coaching staff on this one and put the blame on the TimeLord for not beating out rookie level competition in Gran Williams.


Rob Williams got 18 minutes in game 7, 6th on the team in minutes, he's already a bigger part of the rotation than Grant Williams.

Rob is the better offensive player, Grant is the better defensive player. They were protecting a lead in that situation, so defense won out. But I don't think it's a fair narrative that Rob is in the doghouse, when if anything he's seized a bigger role this postseason.


The idea that a 6'5" slow guy who is a rookie that the Raptors went to over and over again and scored is a better defender than Rob Williams who has all the physical gifts in the world and been in the NBA more than 0 years....

Yeah that's an indictment of Rob Williams for sure. The coaches must not trust him in the slightest. At this point it's on Rob. To get beat out by a rookie like Grant at Center for defense... YIKES.


Lol what are you talking about. They went with Grant because they wanted to switch everything. Also they went after Grant and most of the time they failed. Rob is too mistake prone to rely on him on that situation.
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 20,810
And1: 6,913
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#25 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 4:20 pm

CelticsPride18 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
24istheLAW wrote:
Rob Williams got 18 minutes in game 7, 6th on the team in minutes, he's already a bigger part of the rotation than Grant Williams.

Rob is the better offensive player, Grant is the better defensive player. They were protecting a lead in that situation, so defense won out. But I don't think it's a fair narrative that Rob is in the doghouse, when if anything he's seized a bigger role this postseason.


The idea that a 6'5" slow guy who is a rookie that the Raptors went to over and over again and scored is a better defender than Rob Williams who has all the physical gifts in the world and been in the NBA more than 0 years....

Yeah that's an indictment of Rob Williams for sure. The coaches must not trust him in the slightest. At this point it's on Rob. To get beat out by a rookie like Grant at Center for defense... YIKES.


Lol what are you talking about. They went with Grant because they wanted to switch everything. Also they went after Grant and most of the time they failed. Rob is too mistake prone to rely on him on that situation.


You don't see how being much taller, the most athletic player on the court potentially, and not being a rookie but your coach still having to go away from you for a slow 6'5" rookie because your defense sucks as a problem? As a non shooting Center?

It's a bit embarrassing.

At least I hope Rob is embarrassed as hell because he obviously doesn't have the coaches trust to just be around and not foul and play normal rotations.

I really hope he shows dramatic defensive awareness improvement next year and finally earns Stevens trust. There has been a role he could 100% lock up for himself all year long and he's never acquired it. But next year is year 3, by then... unless he flatly doesn't care... with his gifts alone. Surely he will secure the role as the backup Center. No one else on our team is half as athletic as him among our bigs and it's a quality we desperately need.
Image
User avatar
JHTruth
RealGM
Posts: 12,603
And1: 896
Joined: Jul 02, 2003
Location: The Big Three are Back..

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#26 » by JHTruth » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:38 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
CelticsPride18 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
The idea that a 6'5" slow guy who is a rookie that the Raptors went to over and over again and scored is a better defender than Rob Williams who has all the physical gifts in the world and been in the NBA more than 0 years....

Yeah that's an indictment of Rob Williams for sure. The coaches must not trust him in the slightest. At this point it's on Rob. To get beat out by a rookie like Grant at Center for defense... YIKES.


Lol what are you talking about. They went with Grant because they wanted to switch everything. Also they went after Grant and most of the time they failed. Rob is too mistake prone to rely on him on that situation.


You don't see how being much taller, the most athletic player on the court potentially, and not being a rookie but your coach still having to go away from you for a slow 6'5" rookie because your defense sucks as a problem? As a non shooting Center?

It's a bit embarrassing.

At least I hope Rob is embarrassed as hell because he obviously doesn't have the coaches trust to just be around and not foul and play normal rotations.

I really hope he shows dramatic defensive awareness improvement next year and finally earns Stevens trust. There has been a role he could 100% lock up for himself all year long and he's never acquired it. But next year is year 3, by then... unless he flatly doesn't care... with his gifts alone. Surely he will secure the role as the backup Center. No one else on our team is half as athletic as him among our bigs and it's a quality we desperately need.


Lol wut. The Rap tors went small to close games 6 and 7. So Stevens matched up small. Says nothing about Rob at all who played 18 mins
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 24,820
And1: 11,669
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#27 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:04 pm

JHTruth wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
CelticsPride18 wrote:
Lol what are you talking about. They went with Grant because they wanted to switch everything. Also they went after Grant and most of the time they failed. Rob is too mistake prone to rely on him on that situation.


You don't see how being much taller, the most athletic player on the court potentially, and not being a rookie but your coach still having to go away from you for a slow 6'5" rookie because your defense sucks as a problem? As a non shooting Center?

It's a bit embarrassing.

At least I hope Rob is embarrassed as hell because he obviously doesn't have the coaches trust to just be around and not foul and play normal rotations.

I really hope he shows dramatic defensive awareness improvement next year and finally earns Stevens trust. There has been a role he could 100% lock up for himself all year long and he's never acquired it. But next year is year 3, by then... unless he flatly doesn't care... with his gifts alone. Surely he will secure the role as the backup Center. No one else on our team is half as athletic as him among our bigs and it's a quality we desperately need.


Lol wut. The Rap tors went small to close games 6 and 7. So Stevens matched up small. Says nothing about Rob at all who played 18 mins


Rob has just as much physical capability to defend the perimeter as Grant does. More, actually. Grant being chosen over him is strictly for above-the-neck reasons.
User avatar
JHTruth
RealGM
Posts: 12,603
And1: 896
Joined: Jul 02, 2003
Location: The Big Three are Back..

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#28 » by JHTruth » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:11 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
You don't see how being much taller, the most athletic player on the court potentially, and not being a rookie but your coach still having to go away from you for a slow 6'5" rookie because your defense sucks as a problem? As a non shooting Center?

It's a bit embarrassing.

At least I hope Rob is embarrassed as hell because he obviously doesn't have the coaches trust to just be around and not foul and play normal rotations.

I really hope he shows dramatic defensive awareness improvement next year and finally earns Stevens trust. There has been a role he could 100% lock up for himself all year long and he's never acquired it. But next year is year 3, by then... unless he flatly doesn't care... with his gifts alone. Surely he will secure the role as the backup Center. No one else on our team is half as athletic as him among our bigs and it's a quality we desperately need.


Lol wut. The Rap tors went small to close games 6 and 7. So Stevens matched up small. Says nothing about Rob at all who played 18 mins


Rob has just as much physical capability to defend the perimeter as Grant does. More, actually. Grant being chosen over him is strictly for above-the-neck reasons.



Maybe. But Grant is widely considered to be one of the smartest players in the league. Rob will continue to get more.mins..while Grant will see situational mins
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 20,810
And1: 6,913
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#29 » by celticfan42487 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:30 pm

JHTruth wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
Lol wut. The Rap tors went small to close games 6 and 7. So Stevens matched up small. Says nothing about Rob at all who played 18 mins


Rob has just as much physical capability to defend the perimeter as Grant does. More, actually. Grant being chosen over him is strictly for above-the-neck reasons.



Maybe. But Grant is widely considered to be one of the smartest players in the league. Rob will continue to get more.mins..while Grant will see situational mins


It's not maybe, it's not even close.

Rob has 10x the physical talent that Grant has. He's not some slow big man. He's also been in the system 2 years and Grant just walked through this door this year.

It's not over yet, but Rob SURE AS **** better take over that role next year or this is on Rob. All he has to do is play the rotations and he's an endless better option than Grant.

There's a reason the Raptors went after Grant as soon as he came in every play, it's because he's too small to be a factor. And the Raptors converted easiely on that play.

This is with Kemba out there, they saw Grant and got excited.

This isn't saying Rob won't get this role next year but if I'm Rob at some point I have to wonder why I suck and get furious and NOT ALLOW it to happen. Rob SHOULD have that role. He should be our answer to guarding the perimeter and not 6'5" smaller Jared Sullinger.

I'd love to see it next year. I really think like... okay 2 years is enough third year you have to do it Rob or it's not going to happen. We all know he dropped to almost the second round because of his head and injury problems but it's time to step up. So much opportunity for him on this team. The team is just BEGGING him to get his head straight and learn to rotate in the system. There's no reason he can't even do what Theis is doing plus being a lob threat. Ugh, so much potential hahah.
Image
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 24,820
And1: 11,669
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#30 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:57 pm

Let's not exaggerate the Raptors' success against Grant. There was the play where Siakam got away with a travel and scored over him ... and what else?

When it comes strictly to post defense, strength has been an effective substitute for height at least since Big Baby gave fits to Yao Ming.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
Posts: 30,298
And1: 11,765
Joined: Jan 20, 2004
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#31 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Sep 13, 2020 10:45 pm

It's going to be interesting to see what the Celtics do against Adebayo. If Bam picks up a couple of quick fouls, I could see Kanter going down on the block and forcing him to defend the post against a bigger center.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
User avatar
JHTruth
RealGM
Posts: 12,603
And1: 896
Joined: Jul 02, 2003
Location: The Big Three are Back..

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#32 » by JHTruth » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:06 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
Rob has just as much physical capability to defend the perimeter as Grant does. More, actually. Grant being chosen over him is strictly for above-the-neck reasons.



Maybe. But Grant is widely considered to be one of the smartest players in the league. Rob will continue to get more.mins..while Grant will see situational mins


It's not maybe, it's not even close.

Rob has 10x the physical talent that Grant has. He's not some slow big man. He's also been in the system 2 years and Grant just walked through this door this year.

It's not over yet, but Rob SURE AS **** better take over that role next year or this is on Rob. All he has to do is play the rotations and he's an endless better option than Grant.

There's a reason the Raptors went after Grant as soon as he came in every play, it's because he's too small to be a factor. And the Raptors converted easiely on that play.

This is with Kemba out there, they saw Grant and got excited.

This isn't saying Rob won't get this role next year but if I'm Rob at some point I have to wonder why I suck and get furious and NOT ALLOW it to happen. Rob SHOULD have that role. He should be our answer to guarding the perimeter and not 6'5" smaller Jared Sullinger.

I'd love to see it next year. I really think like... okay 2 years is enough third year you have to do it Rob or it's not going to happen. We all know he dropped to almost the second round because of his head and injury problems but it's time to step up. So much opportunity for him on this team. The team is just BEGGING him to get his head straight and learn to rotate in the system. There's no reason he can't even do what Theis is doing plus being a lob threat. Ugh, so much potential hahah.


Meh Rob is right about where he should be. He's our clear backup C and trusted rotation player during this championship run. Theis a solid veteran in the middle of his prime. Naturally he's going to get more trust from the coaches. How many second year players start on legit.contenders? If Rob splits mins with The is next year, which I suspect he will, then he's well on track

If he was really as bad as you say no way he would have played in the 4th qtr of game 7
User avatar
JHTruth
RealGM
Posts: 12,603
And1: 896
Joined: Jul 02, 2003
Location: The Big Three are Back..

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#33 » by JHTruth » Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:11 am

Through games on Sept. 12, here's how all #NBA sophomores have fared in TPA during the 2019-20 postseason. https://t.co/42RTAjM8He
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 20,810
And1: 6,913
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#34 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 2:24 am

JHTruth wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:

Maybe. But Grant is widely considered to be one of the smartest players in the league. Rob will continue to get more.mins..while Grant will see situational mins


It's not maybe, it's not even close.

Rob has 10x the physical talent that Grant has. He's not some slow big man. He's also been in the system 2 years and Grant just walked through this door this year.

It's not over yet, but Rob SURE AS **** better take over that role next year or this is on Rob. All he has to do is play the rotations and he's an endless better option than Grant.

There's a reason the Raptors went after Grant as soon as he came in every play, it's because he's too small to be a factor. And the Raptors converted easiely on that play.

This is with Kemba out there, they saw Grant and got excited.

This isn't saying Rob won't get this role next year but if I'm Rob at some point I have to wonder why I suck and get furious and NOT ALLOW it to happen. Rob SHOULD have that role. He should be our answer to guarding the perimeter and not 6'5" smaller Jared Sullinger.

I'd love to see it next year. I really think like... okay 2 years is enough third year you have to do it Rob or it's not going to happen. We all know he dropped to almost the second round because of his head and injury problems but it's time to step up. So much opportunity for him on this team. The team is just BEGGING him to get his head straight and learn to rotate in the system. There's no reason he can't even do what Theis is doing plus being a lob threat. Ugh, so much potential hahah.


Meh Rob is right about where he should be. He's our clear backup C and trusted rotation player during this championship run. Theis a solid veteran in the middle of his prime. Naturally he's going to get more trust from the coaches. How many second year players start on legit.contenders? If Rob splits mins with The is next year, which I suspect he will, then he's well on track

If he was really as bad as you say no way he would have played in the 4th qtr of game 7



I think our clear back C and situational big man are far cries from one another.

If he was in the rotation that would be a dramatic improvement.

He played in the second round, didn't play in the first.

But alas, we're arguing about how far away he is from where we want him to be.

I think it's embarrassing that he isn't the goto perimeter defending Center over Grant Williams. That to me is embarrassing. And I hope it is to him too.
Image
User avatar
grindtime22
Analyst
Posts: 3,010
And1: 3,007
Joined: Jan 30, 2012
     

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#35 » by grindtime22 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:42 am

celticfan42487 wrote:There's a reason the Raptors went after Grant as soon as he came in every play, it's because he's too small to be a factor. And the Raptors converted easiely on that play.


Did they really convert easily? We watched different games. The first 4 possessions after he checked in were

(1) A Siakam basket after he traveled, missed the shot, and then got an offensive rebound that Tatum should have had but was making the travel signal.

(2) Turnover

(3) Turnover

(4) Turnover

They went at Grant each time
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 20,810
And1: 6,913
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#36 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:34 am

grindtime22 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:There's a reason the Raptors went after Grant as soon as he came in every play, it's because he's too small to be a factor. And the Raptors converted easiely on that play.


Did they really convert easily? We watched different games. The first 4 possessions after he checked in were

(1) A Siakam basket after he traveled, missed the shot, and then got an offensive rebound that Tatum should have had but was making the travel signal.

(2) Turnover

(3) Turnover

(4) Turnover

They went at Grant each time


Convert easiely, yes. They did. A 6'5" guy wasn't contesting Siakam's bank shot. He was there, but he wasn't doing anything.

Norman Powell doesn't finish that layup over anyone other than Grant.

And again, this is game 7 against the Raptors with Nick Nurse coaching. If Grant was putting up any resistance of note they would have stuck going after Kemba.

As soon as Grant was in their eyes grew big because they knew they were just giving a free pass and didn't even bother trying to get Kemba in a matchup again.

Rob Williams should be much better and should be able to play defense way better than a Grant Williams can simply becuase this isn't a feel good league this is an athletic freaks league, the 1% of the 1% of genetics.

And Grant Williams didn't do himself any favors but at least was in the position to have shots made on him. At least he exsisted to which Stevens obviously feels Williams would have been confused and no where near the play.
Image
User avatar
grindtime22
Analyst
Posts: 3,010
And1: 3,007
Joined: Jan 30, 2012
     

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#37 » by grindtime22 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:20 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
grindtime22 wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:There's a reason the Raptors went after Grant as soon as he came in every play, it's because he's too small to be a factor. And the Raptors converted easiely on that play.


Did they really convert easily? We watched different games. The first 4 possessions after he checked in were

(1) A Siakam basket after he traveled, missed the shot, and then got an offensive rebound that Tatum should have had but was making the travel signal.

(2) Turnover

(3) Turnover

(4) Turnover

They went at Grant each time


Convert easiely, yes. They did. A 6'5" guy wasn't contesting Siakam's bank shot. He was there, but he wasn't doing anything.

Norman Powell doesn't finish that layup over anyone other than Grant.

And again, this is game 7 against the Raptors with Nick Nurse coaching. If Grant was putting up any resistance of note they would have stuck going after Kemba.

As soon as Grant was in their eyes grew big because they knew they were just giving a free pass and didn't even bother trying to get Kemba in a matchup again.



Rob Williams should be much better and should be able to play defense way better than a Grant Williams can simply becuase this isn't a feel good league this is an athletic freaks league, the 1% of the 1% of genetics.

And Grant Williams didn't do himself any favors but at least was in the position to have shots made on him. At least he exsisted to which Stevens obviously feels Williams would have been confused and no where near the play.


Being in the right position is more than half the battle. Grant is strong and has great lateral anticipation to keep guys in front of him. Robert Williams will never have that kind of lateral ability no matter how good he gets. Theis won't either. Grant is simply great at it.

That free pass the Raptors found led to 9 points scored in 7 minutes. Powell hit a tough shot. You tip your hat. That is probably a 40% type shot at best by the time he hit the wall and faded away shooting a floater falling down. He probably gets all the way to the rim against somebody else. Siakam traveled and then missed his first shot and Tatum should have had the rebound. That should have been a stop. Siakam hit a bank shot as he was falling down. It wasn't an easy shot. Tip your hat. He also missed a shot on the drive that they called a BS foul that Brad should have challenged. That should be a stop. There was also 3 turnovers in a row mixed in there. He cut Siakam off and Smart stole his pass when he got caught in a rough position. He cut Siakam off and then stole the pass on his own when he got into a rough position. He cut Lowry off in the pick and roll and he threw the ball into the backcourt for a turnover. Turnover, Turnover, Turnover. Those count too. He blocked Van Vleets 3 point attempt to seal the game. He mostly kept guys from getting easy shots. You also didn't even see them getting 3 point attempts up, either pullups or pops, because of his positioning and ability to switch.

Grant at the 5 was the best shot on the defensive end with the small lineup and it worked great. Going at him instead of Kemba is exactly what we want in that situation. Grant Williams at the 5 had a 103.8 defensive rating in the regular season, 3 points better than our top 5 defense had overall. That included a huge performance in our 1st matchup of the season against the Raptors when he helped flip the game late.
Ernest
Senior
Posts: 511
And1: 427
Joined: Jun 16, 2019
 

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#38 » by Ernest » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:40 am

I wonder if Kanter will get any minutes against the heat. It comes down to what the heat do. If they are going to run plays to force Butler on Kanter in an iso than he really cant play.

I agree with a point made earlier that his scoring is less needed when the starters play huge minutes.

At this point, I don't see him on the team next year. He is still happy on the bench and being a good teammate, but it must suck for him.
User avatar
JHTruth
RealGM
Posts: 12,603
And1: 896
Joined: Jul 02, 2003
Location: The Big Three are Back..

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#39 » by JHTruth » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:13 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
It's not maybe, it's not even close.

Rob has 10x the physical talent that Grant has. He's not some slow big man. He's also been in the system 2 years and Grant just walked through this door this year.

It's not over yet, but Rob SURE AS **** better take over that role next year or this is on Rob. All he has to do is play the rotations and he's an endless better option than Grant.

There's a reason the Raptors went after Grant as soon as he came in every play, it's because he's too small to be a factor. And the Raptors converted easiely on that play.

This is with Kemba out there, they saw Grant and got excited.

This isn't saying Rob won't get this role next year but if I'm Rob at some point I have to wonder why I suck and get furious and NOT ALLOW it to happen. Rob SHOULD have that role. He should be our answer to guarding the perimeter and not 6'5" smaller Jared Sullinger.

I'd love to see it next year. I really think like... okay 2 years is enough third year you have to do it Rob or it's not going to happen. We all know he dropped to almost the second round because of his head and injury problems but it's time to step up. So much opportunity for him on this team. The team is just BEGGING him to get his head straight and learn to rotate in the system. There's no reason he can't even do what Theis is doing plus being a lob threat. Ugh, so much potential hahah.


Meh Rob is right about where he should be. He's our clear backup C and trusted rotation player during this championship run. Theis a solid veteran in the middle of his prime. Naturally he's going to get more trust from the coaches. How many second year players start on legit.contenders? If Rob splits mins with The is next year, which I suspect he will, then he's well on track

If he was really as bad as you say no way he would have played in the 4th qtr of game 7



I think our clear back C and situational big man are far cries from one another.

If he was in the rotation that would be a dramatic improvement.

He played in the second round, didn't play in the first.

But alas, we're arguing about how far away he is from where we want him to be.

I think it's embarrassing that he isn't the goto perimeter defending Center over Grant Williams. That to me is embarrassing. And I hope it is to him too.


LOL come on man are you really going to die on the Rob Williams sucks hill? He's going to be the back-up C against the Heat as well. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he played MORE minutes against Miami than he did Toronto. He's been playing against Bam since college and is probably our best match-up against him. Are you really going to be posting these Rob Hot Takes then too? :lol: :lol:
User avatar
celticfan42487
RealGM
Posts: 20,810
And1: 6,913
Joined: Jul 22, 2005
Location: Billerica, MA
       

Re: Williams over Kanter situational? 

Post#40 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 7:13 pm

JHTruth wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
Meh Rob is right about where he should be. He's our clear backup C and trusted rotation player during this championship run. Theis a solid veteran in the middle of his prime. Naturally he's going to get more trust from the coaches. How many second year players start on legit.contenders? If Rob splits mins with The is next year, which I suspect he will, then he's well on track

If he was really as bad as you say no way he would have played in the 4th qtr of game 7



I think our clear back C and situational big man are far cries from one another.

If he was in the rotation that would be a dramatic improvement.

He played in the second round, didn't play in the first.

But alas, we're arguing about how far away he is from where we want him to be.

I think it's embarrassing that he isn't the goto perimeter defending Center over Grant Williams. That to me is embarrassing. And I hope it is to him too.


LOL come on man are you really going to die on the Rob Williams sucks hill? He's going to be the back-up C against the Heat as well. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if he played MORE minutes against Miami than he did Toronto. He's been playing against Bam since college and is probably our best match-up against him. Are you really going to be posting these Rob Hot Takes then too? :lol: :lol:


My hill is Rob shouldn't be outplayed by 6'6" rookie Grant Williams on defense.

And the fact that he is solely based on constant mistakes is a disgrace.

And I hope he knows it and works hard to not allow that to happen next year.

If Grant gets a 3 ball and we want to space the floor on offense fine. If Grant shows 1% of the playmaking skill he had in college and we deem we need him fine.

But on defense? 6'6" and can't jump. Verses second year in the team and system 6'8" athletic marvel Rob?

TimeLord should have won that role. He got beat out by a rookie with half of the physical talent as him in game 7. That has to hurt.

I want way more than that from him, and I hope he does too.
Image

Return to Boston Celtics