ImageImageImage

Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract!

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

What should be the next step after Hayward opts in?

Remain on team for another Playoff run
9
17%
Traded on draft night
22
42%
Traded at deadline
1
2%
Theres a belief Hayward and team wants to help facilitate a trade
11
21%
Should sign a team friendly extension
10
19%
 
Total votes: 53

User avatar
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,180
And1: 848
Joined: Sep 22, 2004
     

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#221 » by Spin Move » Tue Oct 6, 2020 8:08 pm

You don't give away assets, if Hayward will re-up for 20 million a year you do it. 1.He is a good player 2. He could eventually be traded.
Eventually 1 of Hayward, Smart or Kemba will have to go to get us the big man we need to win a championship.

Reguler season Hayward was really good, you don;t let a player like that walk because he missed a month at a bad time.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,842
And1: 29,460
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#222 » by Parliament10 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 11:04 pm

Spin Move wrote:You don't give away assets, if Hayward will re-up for 20 million a year you do it. 1.He is a good player 2. He could eventually be traded.
Eventually 1 of Hayward, Smart or Kemba will have to go to get us the big man we need to win a championship.

Reguler season Hayward was really good, you don;t let a player like that walk because he missed a month at a bad time.

Walk - No. Trade - Yes.
Hayward is definitely a good player. We just don't need him. That time has passed.

What we need now, is to trade him for 2-3 lesser players.
We just don't need such a powerful 4th option.
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
GreenFor3
Senior
Posts: 699
And1: 312
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
   

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#223 » by GreenFor3 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 11:47 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Spin Move wrote:You don't give away assets, if Hayward will re-up for 20 million a year you do it. 1.He is a good player 2. He could eventually be traded.
Eventually 1 of Hayward, Smart or Kemba will have to go to get us the big man we need to win a championship.

Reguler season Hayward was really good, you don;t let a player like that walk because he missed a month at a bad time.

Walk - No. Trade - Yes.
Hayward is definitely a good player. We just don't need him. That time has passed.

What we need now, is to trade him for 2-3 lesser players.
We just don't need such a powerful 4th option.

Looked like we needed him quite badly in the Raps and Heat series. I'd rather try and get decent 8th and 9th men through draft/fa/trades then downgrade our starters.
User avatar
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
Posts: 21,849
And1: 29,411
Joined: Jul 29, 2003
     

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#224 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Oct 6, 2020 11:56 pm

I wake up every single morning, and my opinion on whether or not to keep Hayward changes.

Pros:
- it's damn difficult to find a 4th option on any team as good as Hayward
- 2nd best playmaker on the team
- doesn't complain about his role

Cons:
- 1 year left on an expensive deal. We can't afford him once Tatum's extension kicks in
- injury-prone - just terrible luck

Unless we get a starter for him, I'm kind of leaning towards keeping him. With all of the uncertainty next season, we still have a decent chance of getting out of the East. He is basically insurance in case one of Kemba, Tatum, Brown or Smart go down with an injury.
User avatar
31to6
RealGM
Posts: 13,619
And1: 16,462
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: all your picks

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#225 » by 31to6 » Wed Oct 7, 2020 1:36 am

I can’t believe he broke his hand on a pick. But I’m on team keep him, or at least team expect little in trade value.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 31,187
And1: 60,146
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#226 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Oct 9, 2020 1:06 pm

His agency tweeted this CelticsBlog article...
Read on Twitter

There will come a time for Boston to truly show how much they value Hayward when he hits free agency, which will likely come in 2021 given the $34.1 million player option available to Hayward for next season.

There was a time when that pending day seemed like an obvious point for Boston to cut ties on a pairing trending in the wrong direction. Now? Hayward is finally fitting in, one of the league’s better spot-up shooters — 42.5 percent on 2.9 3-point catch-and-shoot per game — who runs Stevens’ offense and fits into Boston’s switchable defense.

He has come to provide a complimentary piece no other team can boast, and the Celtics title hopes are better because of it.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 31,187
And1: 60,146
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#227 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Oct 9, 2020 6:48 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 31,187
And1: 60,146
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#228 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Oct 9, 2020 9:55 pm

flintsky21
Rookie
Posts: 1,080
And1: 1,537
Joined: Oct 21, 2010
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#229 » by flintsky21 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:22 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:

DA mind games. A player's trade value is lower when other teams know he's being moved.
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,842
And1: 29,460
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#230 » by Parliament10 » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:24 am

5 Days to Opt-In.
Tick Tock . . .
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 16,691
And1: 26,500
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#231 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:24 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:


Semi OT but Evan Valenti used to post here. I wont out his handle, but he did post podcasts of himself interviewing others [including Howard Beck] back in the day. Cool to see his career grow.
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 31,187
And1: 60,146
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#232 » by ConstableGeneva » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:30 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:


Semi OT but Evan Valenti used to post here. I wont out his handle, but he did post podcasts of himself interviewing others [including Howard Beck] back in the day. Cool to see his career grow.

Yep, I remember his handle (I forget how I know). It's been a while since I last saw him post. One of our more level-headed posters. He's announced as the Celtics Beat producer and takes over Adam Kaufman sometimes as host.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,804
And1: 12,453
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#233 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:21 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

That was an excellent read, thank you for posting. I think I've just changed my mind regarding what to do with Hayward (assuming he picks up his option).
User avatar
BillTheGOAT
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,971
And1: 1,869
Joined: Oct 23, 2008
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#234 » by BillTheGOAT » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:22 pm

Imagine he sign an extension then get his wife pregnant again...

Im done with him. And lmao at that guy being insurance if one of Tatum,Brown,Kemba gets injured..
The guy is a an injury waiting to happen.

Nice guy, appreciate he signed with us but he's been a major flop (not all his fault though).
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 19,804
And1: 12,453
Joined: Feb 23, 2003
Location: Celtic Nation
   

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#235 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Oct 10, 2020 9:32 pm

BillTheGOAT wrote:Imagine he sign an extension then get his wife pregnant again...

You probably didn't notice (maybe your personal dislike of Hayward clouded your thoughts) that the baby was born during what would've been the offseason. He's had horrible luck with injuries—are you also blaming him for not planning for the pandemic?
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 31,187
And1: 60,146
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#236 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:04 am

Dunno if this is an old pic (maybe before he returned to the bubble), but Gordo is in a boot. JackieMac did say he returned 2-3 weeks earlier than he should've. And I read somewhere there was nerve damage, but don't quote me on that.

Image
User avatar
BillTheGOAT
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,971
And1: 1,869
Joined: Oct 23, 2008
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#237 » by BillTheGOAT » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:10 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
BillTheGOAT wrote:Imagine he sign an extension then get his wife pregnant again...

You probably didn't notice (maybe your personal dislike of Hayward clouded your thoughts) that the baby was born during what would've been the offseason. He's had horrible luck with injuries—are you also blaming him for not planning for the pandemic?

He could have opted out of the bubble before it started, and frankly he should have because he was invisible and ineffective.

And I heard alot of people here say what a big sacrifice he did to stay with the team...

What has the world come to, when you’re paid 30 million and have to make ”sacrifices” for your employer, teammates, fans.

He can’t leave soon enough.
jfs1000d
RealGM
Posts: 22,119
And1: 9,216
Joined: Jun 25, 2004

Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#238 » by jfs1000d » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:13 pm

This board is weird.

Some peole want a lesser player than Gordon.

I am done with that after watching us suffer so try Courtney Lee replacing Ray Allen. I remember all the stats and peole saying he shoots 40% from 3, much better value.

It was a terrible take, and getting worse players than Hayward isn’t good. Now, if you can turn him into a food player, like say a Steven Adams or something we don’t have,I will buy it. But garbage bench pieces. Give me a break.

This won’t be like losing Kyrie and Morris, which essentially meant that brown and Tatum got more usage.

No Hayward increases shots for Smart and hurts our play making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 28,842
And1: 29,460
Joined: Jul 24, 2009
       

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#239 » by Parliament10 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:21 pm

jfs1000d wrote:This board is weird.

Some peole want a lesser player than Gordon.

I am done with that after watching us suffer so try Courtney Lee replacing Ray Allen. I remember all the stats and peole saying he shoots 40% from 3, much better value.

It was a terrible take, and getting worse players than Hayward isn’t good. Now, if you can turn him into a food player, like say a Steven Adams or something we don’t have,I will buy it. But garbage bench pieces. Give me a break.

This won’t be like losing Kyrie and Morris, which essentially meant that brown and Tatum got more usage.

No Hayward increases shots for Smart and hurts our play making.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hayward for a Center and 2 Bench players is a Great Deal.
Shifts the energy (and money) to where we need it.
"It's not about me, it's about the Team."
~ Marcus Smart
User avatar
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
Posts: 31,187
And1: 60,146
Joined: Sep 22, 2012
Location: Parody Account
 

Re: Hayward Likely to OPT-IN to final year of contract! 

Post#240 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:30 pm

A few potential landing spots here for Hayward if he opts in and runs the length of his contract.

Read on Twitter

Return to Boston Celtics