ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread 

Post#1901 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:29 pm

I find it kind of disturbing jb and Tatum have such an issue with the media being critical....you guys are .500 team. Maybe less focus on what the media is saying and more on improving the team
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#1902 » by ballup » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:32 pm

Is Romeo going to be in the dog house for that last defensive possession?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,571

Post#1903 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:35 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:I find it kind of disturbing jb and Tatum have such an issue with the media being critical....you guys are .500 team. Maybe less focus on what the media is saying and more on improving the team

They are young. Tatum and Brown probably won't reach their prime for another 2-3 years. Are the Celtics willing to wait?
MagicBagley18
RealGM
And1: 20,332

Post#1904 » by MagicBagley18 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:37 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
MagicBagley18 wrote:I find it kind of disturbing jb and Tatum have such an issue with the media being critical....you guys are .500 team. Maybe less focus on what the media is saying and more on improving the team

They are young. Tatum and Brown probably won't reach their prime for another 2-3 years. Are the Celtics willing to wait?

That’s fine but don’t take all the praise and love and then cry when you under perform- not a great sign
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,571

Post#1905 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:38 pm

MagicBagley18 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

That’s fine but don’t take all the praise and love and then cry when you under perform- not a great sign

Don't disagree. You want the big dollars you have to take the responsibility that comes with it.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#1906 » by cloverleaf » Thu Apr 8, 2021 8:28 pm

Ernest wrote:When does Fournier get back? It does look like things are finally starting to come together. With him and Kemba out those line ups with Tatum being the only scorer out there are risky. If he's not hitting we are in trouble. If PP is out there with him he becomes a 2 guard really as Tatum takes the ball up. PP seems to have cooled off a bit, but he is about the only player that gets the ball into the paint a lot to start off plays. This high low thing we are runnning that never gets low is not working well- not sure what we can really do to fix it, but way to many possesions where we never get inside the 3 point line til 5 seconds left in the shot clock.

Nice to see TT back. Kornet, Wagner and (kind of) Tako did a pretty good job, but TT is a million times better.

We don't miss Theis as much as I thouht we would. As a fan and as far as on court production. I like him a lot too.

TT comes back in better shape than he has been in all season--but he couldn't have gone a few minutes against MVP candidate TT 24 hours earlier? Personally I give all the other bigs who showed up and took their time in the ring with Joel more credit than TT only popping up the next night against significantly inferior competition.
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,486

Post#1907 » by Patsfan1081 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:06 am

Celts17Pride wrote:

They’re young but they have a ton of experience between the two. You don’t Zion, Doncic, or even lesser young stars carry themselves in such a poor manner. It’s becoming obvious Tatum doesn’t have the makeup to lead a team. We’re getting more prof by the day.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#1908 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Apr 9, 2021 12:34 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Ernest wrote:When does Fournier get back? It does look like things are finally starting to come together. With him and Kemba out those line ups with Tatum being the only scorer out there are risky. If he's not hitting we are in trouble. If PP is out there with him he becomes a 2 guard really as Tatum takes the ball up. PP seems to have cooled off a bit, but he is about the only player that gets the ball into the paint a lot to start off plays. This high low thing we are runnning that never gets low is not working well- not sure what we can really do to fix it, but way to many possesions where we never get inside the 3 point line til 5 seconds left in the shot clock.

Nice to see TT back. Kornet, Wagner and (kind of) Tako did a pretty good job, but TT is a million times better.

We don't miss Theis as much as I thouht we would. As a fan and as far as on court production. I like him a lot too.

TT comes back in better shape than he has been in all season--but he couldn't have gone a few minutes against MVP candidate TT 24 hours earlier? Personally I give all the other bigs who showed up and took their time in the ring with Joel more credit than TT only popping up the next night against significantly inferior competition.

I hate the guy's **** guts but give me a break if you're judging how quickly someone recovers from a disease that has killed millions.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 87,921

Post#1909 » by zoyathedestroya » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:48 am

Read on Twitter

Yes, but also it's kinda disingenuous to leave out Horford from the starting five lol.
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#1910 » by JediMasterRevan » Fri Apr 9, 2021 11:58 am

ballup wrote:Is Romeo going to be in the dog house for that last defensive possession?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Romeo does no wrong in Brads eyes.

Wouldnt be surprised to see romeo starting over Fournier by playoffs.
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,638

Post#1911 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 1:49 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

They’re young but they have a ton of experience between the two. You don’t Zion, Doncic, or even lesser young stars carry themselves in such a poor manner. It’s becoming obvious Tatum doesn’t have the makeup to lead a team. We’re getting more prof by the day.

If Tatum didn't have the "makeup" to lead a team the Celtics would be competing for a top 5 pick.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#1912 » by cloverleaf » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:40 pm

BK_2020 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:They are young. Tatum and Brown probably won't reach their prime for another 2-3 years. Are the Celtics willing to wait?

If Tatum didn't have the "makeup" to lead a team the Celtics would be competing for a top 5 pick.

How to you come to that assessment?
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,638

Post#1913 » by BK_2020 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:41 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:
Patsfan1081 wrote:

The same way people assess Tatum not to have the make up to lead a team, by pulling it out of my ass.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#1914 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:11 pm

Patsfan1081 wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:

Pierce was little better, except that his on-court effort on offense was more consistent. Otherwise, they're both inconsistent in defensive effort (Pierce was worse), both vacuum up defensive rebounds (Tatum more so), both work hard individually off-court (Pierce even more so), and both lack skill in verbal leadership.

Of course, Pierce also demonstrated his physical toughness (stabbing, dental surgery) in ways Tatum so far hasn't.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#1915 » by soxfan2003 » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:13 am

BK_2020 wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:If Tatum didn't have the "makeup" to lead a team the Celtics would be competing for a top 5 pick.

The same way people assess Tatum not to have the make up to lead a team, by pulling it out of my ass.

There are some maturity issues I don't like with Tatum for sure but overall the pros far outweigh the cons. But the whole leadership thing out of your best player in basketball is a little overrated. Was Kareem known as a great leader? He won a championship with the Bucs as clearly their best player before the Lakers gave up half their roster to trade for him a few years later?

With Stevens and Ainge probably both making 5-10 million a year, they are the ones that should be providing the most leadership of all of the employees of the Celtics and holding the players and themselves accountable. Wyc is the one that should be providing the most leadership of all since he owns the highest percentage of the team. I don't buy the notion that even someone not tremendously knowledgeable about all of the intricacies of basketball, should be hands off. Maybe Wyc would have been showing some leadership by questioning Ainge/Zarren/Stevens/whoever about the Kemba signing. Go through NBA history and look at small point guards like him -- he had 3 knee surgeries and zero playoff series wins -- receiving max contracts heading into their 30's? If Wyc truly isn't first and foremost committed to winning at all reasonable costs, it won't be a shocker if the players themselves don't always display the best leadership skills throughout a regular season grind.

Talent that fits well together and is capable of winning it all is what is most needed. Celtics don't have enough of it right now. And I very highly doubt internal growth gets them there. Team is going to have to draft extremely well and/or make some great trades and/or sign great free agent(s) to win another banner.

But the leadership actually starts at the top. People need to start question Wyc and the other owners about how committed they really are to winning championships. Then question Ainge. Then question Stevens about the type of teams he likes to have vs the sort of teams that tend to win championships. After that Tatum/Brown/whoever are all fair game.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#1916 » by ParticleMan » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:26 am

the Kemba signing was widely hailed as a coup at the time. the leadership was getting crucified for letting an allstar pg walk after he poisoned the locker room. we all knew kemba's issues, frankly i never liked kemba's game even when he was in his prime. but we had a franchise with an image problem and a locker room problem, and everyone including me loved kemba as a person and a leader. it sucks that it didn't work out, just like hayward didn't work out. maybe in kemba's case it was a bigger risk since he was older, but it was also a bigger reward. if his knee issues had waited two years and hayward's ankle never happened we'd be talking about kemba leading us into true title contender status.

we've had complete **** luck with FA injuries. you can say some could be anticipated but the fact is in many other cases its worked out great, even for small old pgs like CP3. it's hard to predict these things. it is what it is.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#1917 » by cloverleaf » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:32 pm

Bleeding Green wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:

I hate the guy's **** guts but give me a break if you're judging how quickly someone recovers from a disease that has killed millions.

That's of course not what I was saying or referring to at all. It was his holding out against Embiid because of his "conditioning" after he was in the protocol--and then being fully ready to go big minutes, seemingly in the best shape he's been in all season, 24 hours later.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,167

Post#1918 » by playa-hater » Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:38 pm

I have already started to look a it at this year's draft prospects. And while I want to stress this is still very early, I just don't see the hype behind the top 7 or so players. All but Cade seem like high upside long term projects. Andrew Wiggin types of talent at best. This draft is also littered with SG and combo's and almost no talent at what Boston desperately needs. A skillful 3-4 type.

And while further time is needed and there will always be good players coming out of the draft, this might be the year to trade our first for something more guaranteed.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Shak_Celts
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 57,588

Post#1919 » by Shak_Celts » Sun Apr 11, 2021 4:18 pm

FUNNY. KD had a whole twitter account to argue with fans and media. LBJ complained about the media's treatment of the Heat (not the only time). Two of the biggest names in the game and neither were as young as Brown and Tatum at the time! Brown didn't even complain about the media, he told Tatum they have to ignore it.

These people are humans, EVERYONE cares what people think of them and most of you only deal with around 10 who care to think anything about you so it's easy to say, "you shouldn't care what people think!" These young people have thousands of people coming at them whether it's good or bad, most people have social media platforms and are free to say what they want, the media has one of the more visible!

Some of the same people on here talking about what they would ignore are the same people getting into arguments on message boards over simple disagreements. Y'all resort to name calling over how good you think a player is and YOU'RE ANONYMOUS!! Pretty much no one knows you yet you feel slighted and attacked if people don't agree with you (myself included)! So don't act like you're above it!

The Jays are high level players in a league so few people make it to, people have been nitpicking things about them since they were very young, it's not human to block out everything people say, but they do a great job of it, look at where they are and who they are! They still work their asses off and go out and perform no matter what!

This doesn mean they don't deserve criticism, I'm simply saying, it isn't as easy to ignore all the things that come at them as people on a message board pretend it should be!
NAME ON THE FRONT OF THE JERSEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(!)
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,531

Post#1920 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:09 am

I don't have the quote in front of me, but Brad pretty clearly said Rob is the starter, in a formulation that boils down to:
-- Rob will play all the minutes he can handle.
-- It's great to have a backup as good as TT to soak up the rest.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".

Return to Boston Celtics