ImageImageImage

Official Celtics 2020-21 Regular Season Thread

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Re: Official Celtics 2020-21 Offseason Thread 

Post#341 » by Darth Celtic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:23 pm

100proof wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
I think the deal would look more like Hayward/ 14 for Drummond/ 5

which isn't allowed under the CBA because both have not picked up player option for this year and won't until after the draft. In bizzaro world where you can get Hayward to opt in early so he can be traded to the worst place to play in the NBA ..... and Drummond agrees to opt in early too, sure.

OR teams agree to draft for each other in advance of opt in/out dates. There is always a work around.

IMO, I dont want Drummond and for Hayward I would want Drummond and their pick.

teams draft for other teams all the time in agreed upon deals that can't happen right away, but they don't happen when 2 players involved could both opt out and not be under contract.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Post#342 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:56 pm

I wish we had real rumors.

I know it's an odd time for an offseason a little. But half of the league has had nothing to do for about 6 months than think about this off season and draft.

And we have no real rumors of moves or anything?

I mean I guess I read that the Celtics might really do nothing this off season except for try their best to get under the luxury tax that way for 2022-2023 season we'd reset the repeater tax countdown going forward.

Which I would not enjoy as a fan but understand economically. But still. **** man.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#343 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:00 pm

100proof wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
I think the deal would look more like Hayward/ 14 for Drummond/ 5

which isn't allowed under the CBA because both have not picked up player option for this year and won't until after the draft. In bizzaro world where you can get Hayward to opt in early so he can be traded to the worst place to play in the NBA ..... and Drummond agrees to opt in early too, sure.

OR teams agree to draft for each other in advance of opt in/out dates. There is always a work around.

The era of drop coverage bigs is over.

They're useless in the playoffs, see Embiid vs our crippled team. Tatum and Kemba had by far their easiest series with a big that plays drop coverage on pick and roll.

Drummond and Turner both would dramatically hurt our defense over Theis in the playoffs for this reason alone. It's a killer.

Hell **** Grant Williams got minutes over the TimeLord regularly for this exact reason.

I'd rather play Hayward at the 5 in super small ball and have the advantage from the 3 then play a drop coverage big who will give wide open 3s to the opposing team over and over again.
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#344 » by reload141 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:14 pm

Drummond is just one of the biggest negatives that people shouldn't even consider.

Guy just isn't what we want or need.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#345 » by JHTruth » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:25 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
100proof wrote:
Darth Celtic wrote:which isn't allowed under the CBA because both have not picked up player option for this year and won't until after the draft. In bizzaro world where you can get Hayward to opt in early so he can be traded to the worst place to play in the NBA ..... and Drummond agrees to opt in early too, sure.

They're useless in the playoffs, see Embiid vs our crippled team. Tatum and Kemba had by far their easiest series with a big that plays drop coverage on pick and roll.

Drummond and Turner both would dramatically hurt our defense over Theis in the playoffs for this reason alone. It's a killer.

Hell **** Grant Williams got minutes over the TimeLord regularly for this exact reason.

I'd rather play Hayward at the 5 in super small ball and have the advantage from the 3 then play a drop coverage big who will give wide open 3s to the opposing team over and over again.

Drop coverage bigs will remain the norm because there are really only two "switchable" bigs in the league. Draymond and Bam. Everyone else, INCLUDING THEIS, is a drop big. Would you rather give a guy a three or a free lane to the hoop with zero rim protection? It's not a hard choice. I laugh when guys want their 7 footer out chasing around guards at the three point line. :lol: :lol: Utterly absurd...

Now I'm not advocating for Drummond but he's better than Kanter that's for sure..
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#346 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:35 pm

JHTruth wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
100proof wrote:

Drop coverage bigs will remain the norm because there are really only two "switchable" bigs in the league. Draymond and Bam. Everyone else, INCLUDING THEIS, is a drop big. Would you rather give a guy a three or a free lane to the hoop with zero rim protection? It's not a hard choice. I laugh when guys want their 7 footer out chasing around guards at the three point line. :lol: :lol: Utterly absurd...

Now I'm not advocating for Drummond but he's better than Kanter that's for sure..

If that was remotely true Brad would have started Grant over Theis. Much like he picked him over TimeLord.

Theis covers his man on switches and is no where near a drop coveraged big. Not even slightly close to it.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#347 » by JHTruth » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:40 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
JHTruth wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:

Drop coverage bigs will remain the norm because there are really only two "switchable" bigs in the league. Draymond and Bam. Everyone else, INCLUDING THEIS, is a drop big. Would you rather give a guy a three or a free lane to the hoop with zero rim protection? It's not a hard choice. I laugh when guys want their 7 footer out chasing around guards at the three point line. :lol: :lol: Utterly absur

If that was remotely true Brad would have started Grant over Theis. Much like he picked him over TimeLord.

Theis covers his man on switches and is no where near a drop coveraged big. Not even slightly close to it.

No THEIS tried to hang with the guard on switches and was roasted, particularly by Dragic.

Grant is 6'6" dude with short arms. He's not even a "big"
StojkoVrankovic
RealGM
And1: 9,600

Post#348 » by StojkoVrankovic » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:47 pm

Drummond does nothing for our team, he stinks on defense. Nice kid, but a moron
RIP texas celtic, 12/10/14 - 12/10/14
Homerclease
RealGM
And1: 31,394

Post#349 » by Homerclease » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:26 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I suspect Robert Williams is your starting C next season
leper-con
General Manager
And1: 3,954

Post#350 » by leper-con » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:32 pm

Can't we just go to Europe and find a Ducan Robisnon type player. you'd think they grow on trees over there. unathletic pure shooter.
The euro league should be full of guys like that.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#351 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:35 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Well Robert williams would have to learn how to play the game first.

That said I'd be encouraged if this was the news on Kemba instead of Theis.

His knee was ****, 4 months off didn't heal it... and now after not having his normal abilities in the playoffs we're just going to ... si t on it again?

That is the real concern.
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#352 » by Homerclease » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:39 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Well Robert williams would have to learn how to play the game first.

That said I'd be encouraged if this was the news on Kemba instead of Theis.

His knee was ****, 4 months off didn't heal it... and now after not having his normal abilities in the playoffs we're just going to ... si t on it again?

That is the real concern.

I disagree. The team is significantly better with Robert Williams on the court.

Don’t know if surgery is going to fix what ails Kemba
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,412

Post#353 » by reload141 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:44 pm

Homerclease wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Need to either sign or trade a starting C or just play RW straight off and let Theis come off the bench... need to put faith in him otherwise what's the point of him continuing coming off the bench?

Theis SHOULD be the backup C
Homerclease
RealGM

Post#354 » by Homerclease » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:46 pm

reload141 wrote:
Homerclease wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Need to either sign or trade a starting C or just play RW straight off and let Theis come off the bench... need to put faith in him otherwise what's the point of him continuing coming off the bench?

Theis SHOULD be the backup C

Agreed. They need to take their lumps defensively with Williams out there. They are so much better on offense having him as a lob threat and rim runner. Theis screens are nice and all but Williams brings them to an entirely new level when he’s out there IMO.

My dream is still trading up for Wiseman but I don’t think it will happen
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#355 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:30 am

Homerclease wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

this is a normal "clean up" procedure lots of players get in the offseason. Williams might start over him but it won't be because of this.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#356 » by GoCeltics123 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:32 am

Read on Twitter

He's fine, guys
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,615

Post#357 » by Asian Celtic » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:38 am

JHTruth wrote:[url]
Read on Twitter
[/url]

I smell smokescreen.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,543

Post#358 » by playa-hater » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:02 am

I first became aware of this Forum just a few months ago.. It is so much better than where I was before.. But If I see another Theis should start from anyone on here.. we fightin!!

Theis was Horrid for all 3 playoff series, I don't want to even hear his name again...

R Williams or BUST!!!
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Tyakack
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,302

Post#359 » by Tyakack » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:28 am

Yeah, I might not even waste my time watching next year if theis is our starting C again........At least not consistently. I like the guy but he's no starter on a championship team. Which.......correct me if I'm wrong, we are trying to win a championship right? No theis starting then.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#360 » by Ernest » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:43 am

Anyone here watched Drummond play in CLE or know anything about his current level? (honest question because I don't) I don't think we need to beat a dead horse on the fit or have a modern 5 vs traditional 5 argument again. But I'm just interested on how good he should be this season. A few years ago he looked good and looked like he could become very good.

Return to Boston Celtics