ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread, Part 2 -- (8PM, Wed, Nov. 18, ESPN)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,235

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread, Part 2 

Post#961 » by djFan71 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:05 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:
Spin Move wrote:
big-shot-ROB wrote:Count me on the Paul Reed hype train. Draft him at #14. We'll find our Shadiq Bey elsewhere.

I was really high on Reggie last year, but it's become apparent he doesn't even have the lateral movement to even play the 5 in the NBA. He's Europe bound unless he becomes a neutral defender all of a sudden.

No one is talking about him at 14, looking at 26 or 30

He won't be there at #26 at all.

Yep, I've talked about him at 14. Only a few mocks have him gone by 26, but I think that changes on draft day.
jayu70
RealGM
And1: 11,924

Post#962 » by jayu70 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:14 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
jayu70 wrote:
leper-con wrote:This guys has a similar skill set to Hayward. He is able to facilitate offensive flow.
My magic 8ball says Hayward is getting traded . We are moving up either with Atlanta or NY and getting Halliburton.
I could actually see Hayward in Atlanta to help run the offence with Trae. With NEw York I could see a lesser player and a couple of picks. or a three team deal with HAyward to Indy ect.

Hawks aren't trading #6 to move down 8 spots and get 1 year of Hayward at $34 million blowing chuncks of their $42 million in capspace in one deal.

Not like his salary for one year is hurting you guys since you won't sign any good max free agents anyways lol
The only max FAs are AD and Ingram. Doesn't mean we'll be trading down to take Haywards bloated contract. There are enough lower tier FAs to use $42 million dollars on to adequately fill in our bench.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,659

Post#963 » by NuckyPowell » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:06 am

So, the Celtics met virtually with Nate Hinton. He's very Smart-like with his energy and hustle plays. He's pretty interesting. I had never heard of him before today.

Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Post#964 » by Squigglepuffin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:15 am

Half-Full wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:If we trade up and draft Haliburton while Killian Hayes is still on the board Danny will never live it down. Hayes will end up as the best player from this draft imo.

Danny will never live it down? That presumes that you are correct in your assessment of Hayes vs Halliburton.

Correct.

I believe I'm pretty good at assessing players. No one is perfect though but I think over time I've now become pretty good.

I will say that if Haliburton were to weigh as much as 190lbs rather than 175lbs I would have a much, much more difficult time saying Killian Hayes will be better.
Squigglepuffin
Junior

Post#965 » by Squigglepuffin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 2:18 am

NuckyPowell wrote:So, the Celtics met virtually with Nate Hinton. He's very Smart-like with his energy and hustle plays. He's pretty interesting. I had never heard of him before today.

He will be the steal of the draft. He deserves to be drafted in the lottery at the very least. In 5 years time I think there will be a legitimate conversation that he should have been drafted in the top 10. He's unbelievably underrated. Imo he'll be one of the best players to come from this draft.
NuckyPowell
General Manager
And1: 9,659

Post#966 » by NuckyPowell » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:46 am

Squigglepuffin wrote:
NuckyPowell wrote:So, the Celtics met virtually with Nate Hinton. He's very Smart-like with his energy and hustle plays. He's pretty interesting. I had never heard of him before today.

He will be the steal of the draft. He deserves to be drafted in the lottery at the very least. In 5 years time I think there will be a legitimate conversation that he should have been drafted in the top 10. He's unbelievably underrated. Imo he'll be one of the best players to come from this draft.

That’s high praise. I hope we snag him if he’s anywhere near that good.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#967 » by Spin Move » Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:43 am

Squigglepuffin wrote:
Half-Full wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:If we trade up and draft Haliburton while Killian Hayes is still on the board Danny will never live it down. Hayes will end up as the best player from this draft imo.

Danny will never live it down? That presumes that you are correct in your assessment of Hayes vs Halliburton.

Correct.

I believe I'm pretty good at assessing players. No one is perfect though but I think over time I've now become pretty good.

I will say that if Haliburton were to weigh as much as 190lbs rather than 175lbs I would have a much, much more difficult time saying Killian Hayes will be better.

Where does your experience at assessing players come from?
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#968 » by captain green » Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:07 am

Spin Move wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:
Half-Full wrote:

Correct.

he bought it at Target for 49 bucks, jk totally decent track record as far as I I can recall.but overall I think it comes down to which team drafts them I think both can hit bust, great, and rotation impact. Comes down to whom grooms who both can adapt.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Squigglepuffin
Junior

Post#969 » by Squigglepuffin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:04 am

captain green wrote:
Spin Move wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:
Correct.

he bought it at Target for 49 bucks, jk

It was 50 bucks actually :)

Just over the past ten years before drafts making my own rankings for my own enjoyment then looking back years later and saying to myself, "I was right about this player, I was wrong about this player, why was I wrong? What did I fail to take into account?"

After you do that enough times you slowly through trial and error tweak your understanding to a pretty solid point which I think I'm finally at now in 2020 - but it's still the draft, no one can tell the future.

As much as any of us can predict we can't sit in on interviews like executives of teams can, or speak to their college coaches, etc. Eg: I thought Sullinger was a great pick but how was I or anyone to know he eventually wouldn't have the motivation to stay in shape?

Haliburton has a lot going for him. It's just his weight that's a concern. It's not like I'm saying he's going to bust. I do believe Cole Anthony has bust written all over him and will be at best a bench player in the NBA though and that's being generous - and Haliburton is much, much better than Anthony.
TommyPointGawd
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,817

Post#970 » by TommyPointGawd » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:18 am

Squigglepuffin wrote:It was 50 bucks actually :)

Just over the past ten years before drafts making my own rankings for my own enjoyment then looking back years later and saying to myself, "I was right about this player, I was wrong about this player, why was I wrong? What did I fail to take into account?"

After you do that enough times you slowly through trial and error tweak your understanding to a pretty solid point which I think I'm finally at now in 2020 - but it's still the draft, no one can tell the future.

As much as any of us can predict we can't sit in on interviews like executives of teams can, or speak to their college coaches, etc. Eg: I thought Sullinger was a great pick but how was I or anyone to know he eventually wouldn't have the motivation to stay in shape?

Haliburton has a lot going for him. It's just his weight that's a concern. It's not like I'm saying he's going to bust. I do believe Cole Anthony has bust written all over him and will be at best a bench player in the NBA though and that's being generous - and Haliburton is much, much better than Anthony.

Why don't you just hold on to your original opinion no matter what happens. Like the rest of us.
I apologize for the things I have said in the past. :cry:
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#971 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:21 am

If December 22 start date pushes through, these rookies are gonna get buried in the rotation more than usual. With no summer league, there's not much time to familiarize themselves with team/schemes. I imagine schedule will be a bit condensed too so practices could even be more limited. And when there are practices, no real scrimmages either to prioritize rest. I see a lot of Maine time in these kids' immediate future.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Squigglepuffin
Junior

Post#972 » by Squigglepuffin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:22 am

TommyPointGawd wrote:
Squigglepuffin wrote:It was 50 bucks actually :)

Why don't you just hold on to your original opinion no matter what happens. Like the rest of us.

In order to improve at anything it's necessary after a fair amount of time has passed to be able to take a step back and objectively evaluate predictions, admit a prediction was wrong and then question why, then use what has been learned the next draft to make a more accurate prediction. If that doesn't happen improvements can't really be made.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#973 » by Roddy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:06 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:If December 22 start date pushes through, these rookies are gonna get buried in the rotation more than usual. With no summer league, there's not much time to familiarize themselves with team/schemes. I imagine schedule will be a bit condensed too so practices could even be more limited. And when there are practices, no real scrimmages either to prioritize rest. I see a lot of Maine time in these kids' immediate future.

That's why we should trade at least 2 of our 3 first round picks.

We need veterans and experience, no more rookies.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#974 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:33 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:If December 22 start date pushes through, these rookies are gonna get buried in the rotation more than usual. With no summer league, there's not much time to familiarize themselves with team/schemes. I imagine schedule will be a bit condensed too so practices could even be more limited. And when there are practices, no real scrimmages either to prioritize rest. I see a lot of Maine time in these kids' immediate future.

Its why I’m changing up my board a little and rising guys like Saddiq Bey. He doesnt have the highest ceiling, but he will play for us right away which means he’s one of the players most likely to hit his ceiling on our team.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#975 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:34 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
31to6 wrote:
The Comedian wrote:
They are high on Haliburton, that’s all I know personally. But like, there are a handful of guys in every draft that they’re high on and don’t trade up for. And even what I hear has to be taken with a grain of salt, it’s not exactly reload level intel.

TBF 2017-18 reload was on a GOAT tear.

We will never have an insider like that again. He was unreal. Had the Kyrie is out for the year weeks before mainstream.

I forgot about one— does anyone remember when someone broke that crazy story about Lucky getting fired years back. That was a GOAT scoop.
LarryBirdsFingr
RealGM
And1: 18,455

Post#976 » by LarryBirdsFingr » Sun Oct 25, 2020 12:48 pm

:wink:
I don't believe in statistics. There are too many factors that can't be measured. You can't measure a ballplayer's heart. -Red Auerbach

Marcus Smart is an underrated shooter
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#977 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:08 pm

Best 14th pick in last 20 seasons: Bam Adebayo, TJ Warren, Michael Porter Jr. (TBD), Marcus Morris
Best 26th pick in last 20 seasons: George Hill, Taj Gibson, Kevin Martin
Best 30th pick in last 20 seasons: Jimmy Butler, David Lee, Anderson Varejao

I will settle for the next Adebayo, Butler, and Hill in this draft. Yabusele, James Young, and RJ Hunter would be cool too. :lol:
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#978 » by Spin Move » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:49 pm

I think its really likley some kind of trade happens I dont think we ar2 making 4 selections.

At 14 if we keep it I am feelibg Nesmith, J. Smith Precious and Kira

At 26 and 30 Oturo Tyler Bey ninaj tre jones reed and Bane all seem interesting

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
Patsfan1081
RealGM
And1: 5,490

Post#979 » by Patsfan1081 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:31 am

Looking at the list of meetings is it just me or are almost all the guys late first/second round projected talent?
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#980 » by captain green » Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:38 am

Patsfan1081 wrote:Looking at the list of meetings is it just me or are almost all the guys late first/second round projected talent?

That's what I'm seeing a couple low key names that could be 14 but it looks like we're looking at 30 and 47 area
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.

Return to Boston Celtics