ImageImageImage

Around the NBA (Non-Celtics) 2020-21, Part 1

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Re: Around the NBA (Non-Celtics) 2020-21, Part 1 

Post#101 » by ConstableGeneva » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:17 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#102 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:23 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

didn't know you could snort Cannabis
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
100proof
Starter
And1: 1,117

Post#103 » by 100proof » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:34 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

I wonder if he will change his nickname to "Strain Man"
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,910

Post#104 » by Parliament10 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:18 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Shak_Celts wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Why is what I want to know.

Next season is **** from a revenue perspective regardless [fans weren't going to be allowed in California or the Northeast all season most likely] so they're gonna try to rapid fire this one out to preserve the normal schedule for the following season.

Supposedly MLK Day has some type of NBA significance.
I think that they just want to get it going with a holiday bang, ASAP.

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,236

Post#105 » by djFan71 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:21 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

My fav non-C. Lived there during his prime but was too poor to go to any of the games until after Walker traded him.
Not sure there's been a worse trade of 3 all-stars where all of them were crap and/or fat within a few seasons: Baker/Brandon/Kemp.
Roddy
Head Coach
And1: 10,807

Post#106 » by Roddy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:32 pm

djFan71 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

My fav non-C. Lived there during his prime but was too poor to go to any of the games until after Walker traded him.
Not sure there's been a worse trade of 3 all-stars where all of them were crap and/or fat within a few seasons: Baker/Brandon/Kemp.

How Terrell Brandon was crap or fat ? He was an amazing PG.
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,236

Post#107 » by djFan71 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:45 pm

Roddy wrote:How Terrell Brandon was crap or fat ? He was an amazing PG.

All of them were great before the trade. I remember Brandon tailed off post-trade, though. But, he's the iffiest of the 3 in my recollection since he wasn't somewhere I cared a ton about. Vin either, but I was forced too...
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#108 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Christmas Day now a target date as the beginning of a sub-82-game, possible no-fans season.
GoCeltics123
RealGM
And1: 32,690

Post#109 » by GoCeltics123 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:08 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Christmas Day now a target date as the beginning of a sub-82-game, possible no-fans season.

Read on Twitter

This would be the shortest offseason ever.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#110 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:15 pm

GoCeltics123 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

This would be the shortest offseason ever.

That's why if they have the BRI and the escrow thing or whatever sorted, they should begin free agency / trading season right away even if it comes prior to the draft. Just less than a month between what I imagine is start of free agency (post-thanksgiving) and start of the season? Do they just go straight to opening night without preseason/training camp??
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#111 » by Darth Celtic » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:23 pm

i was hoping for a longer offseason. Our young guys needed some time off and rest before starting hard on weights, workouts, and shooting drills again. That and romeo/grant/timelord need more time with team in camp.

Not to mention the fact we have 4 picks in the draft at the moment.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#112 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:32 pm

They're insane with Christmas Day. First two months of the season will just be pure ass. No practices, players taking every third game off, especially the surefire playoff teams. The draft is 5 weeks prior.

Christmas is in 63 **** days and covid cases are RISING. Just open up when you can support fans in stands.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#113 » by ConstableGeneva » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:16 pm

Read on Twitter

LOL what? Insanity. Do GMs/agents work on Thanksgiving weekend? Just start free agency as soon as you got the numbers down. Don't have to wait after the draft.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#114 » by Parliament10 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:38 pm

Read on Twitter

This actually makes sense to me.
They should keep the Season starting in December, to distance themselves from the NFL.

72 games is not too bad. In fact, they may need to shorten it to that, permanently.
Travel time and so forth is very taxing on the players.

Eliminate back-to-backs, if possible.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#115 » by Parliament10 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:43 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

LOL what? Insanity. Do GMs/agents work on Thanksgiving weekend? Just start free agency as soon as you got the numbers down. Don't have to wait after the draft.

You got a good point. They should jump right into Free Agency.
They may want to have the Draft sooner, as well, if they can.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#116 » by Parliament10 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:55 pm

Read on Twitter

COVID-19, really skewed things.
I wonder if we'll even be able to play the Olympics in 2021?
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#117 » by Parliament10 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:08 pm

Read on Twitter

They've been wanting to do that Tournament for awhile now.
They were calling it a Mid-season Tournament, in past years.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#118 » by Parliament10 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:30 pm

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#119 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:07 pm

lots of pearl clutching over starting on Christmas Day. Non-bubble teams will have been off for 9+months. Bubble teams got 4 months off. Most of the bubble teams will have gotten 3+months off between the bubble and Christmas Day. This is the most rested these players will have ever been.

What about rookies? In every other NBA season, this is how their "offseason" plays out. They continue going to school until they graduate. Many hire trainers and begin working on the drills that they'll be asked to perform at the NBA combine in May. This isn't the same as working on their weaknesses. It's about improving their times and preparing for the specific drills they'll face in the coming month. Then they travel to the NBA combine in May. After that, they travel around the country for team workouts. During all this they have media commitments. Then they get drafted in June. This is followed by orientation with their new team and lots of media obligations with interspersed workouts to keep them fresh. Then in July they have the Summer League for a couple of weeks. After this, the players have to move themselves and often their families, to the city that drafted them and try to get acclimated with the city, their team (coaches, teammates, owners, G.M., staff). It's during this time they finally get some rest but they still have media obligations. Players can finally try to work on things their new teams have diagnosed as weaknesses, for the next 6-8 weeks until training camp starts. Suffice it to say, this is why players usually don't make leaps until the following season because they have from May/June until October to do mostly workouts designed to improve their game, not just to prepare for a combine.

Rookies will have had 8 months off. Because of COVID they've had way less travel, way less media obligations and way less distractions due to everything being shut down. If they care about their craft, they've been working diligently to address weaknesses and improve their games. Skill wise, this rookie class will be more advanced than any in NBA history at the same point in their respective rookie seasons. Yes, they will not get the benefit of the SL which is important and no extended training camp. But I argue they'll be ahead of past classes. Also, last year's rookies will have had more time to work on their games so their "leap" will be greater and in great numbers. I mean, we saw evidence of this in the bubble where rookie like MPJ, Bol, Bazley, Herro, etc looked clearly different and that was due to them getting time off to improve their games prior to getting in the bubble. I contend that Tatum hit the weights hard during that break and it affected his shot. But we'll see that shot back to normal next season but he'll have the added weight and strength to handle contact and finish at the rim. This break has also helped all the injured guys like KD, Wall, Oladipo, Kyrie, Klay, Simmons, etc because it's afforded them more time to heal and therefore they'll be closer to full health and pre-injury form. So, whether it's Christmas Day or two weeks after, the players will have had plenty of rest.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#120 » by SmartWentCrazy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:18 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:lots of pearl clutching over starting on Christmas Day. Non-bubble teams will have been off for 9+months. Bubble teams got 4 months off. Most of the bubble teams will have gotten 3+months off between the bubble and Christmas Day. This is the most rested these players will have ever been.

What about rookies? In every other NBA season, this is how their "offseason" plays out. They continue going to school until they graduate. Many hire trainers and begin working on the drills that they'll be asked to perform at the NBA combine in May. This isn't the same as working on their weaknesses. It's about improving their times and preparing for the specific drills they'll face in the coming month. Then they travel to the NBA combine in May. After that, they travel around the country for team workouts. During all this they have media commitments. Then they get drafted in June. This is followed by orientation with their new team and lots of media obligations with interspersed workouts to keep them fresh. Then in July they have the Summer League for a couple of weeks. After this, the players have to move themselves and often their families, to the city that drafted them and try to get acclimated with the city, their team (coaches, teammates, owners, G.M., staff). It's during this time they finally get some rest but they still have media obligations. Players can finally try to work on things their new teams have diagnosed as weaknesses, for the next 6-8 weeks until training camp starts. Suffice it to say, this is why players usually don't make leaps until the following season because they have from May/June until October to do mostly workouts designed to improve their game, not just to prepare for a combine.

Rookies will have had 8 months off. Because of COVID they've had way less travel, way less media obligations and way less distractions due to everything being shut down. If they care about their craft, they've been working diligently to address weaknesses and improve their games. Skill wise, this rookie class will be more advanced than any in NBA history at the same point in their respective rookie seasons. Yes, they will not get the benefit of the SL which is important and no extended training camp. But I argue they'll be ahead of past classes. Also, last year's rookies will have had more time to work on their games so their "leap" will be greater and in great numbers. I mean, we saw evidence of this in the bubble where rookie like MPJ, Bol, Bazley, Herro, etc looked clearly different and that was due to them getting time off to improve their games prior to getting in the bubble. I contend that Tatum hit the weights hard during that break and it affected his shot. But we'll see that shot back to normal next season but he'll have the added weight and strength to handle contact and finish at the rim. This break has also helped all the injured guys like KD, Wall, Oladipo, Kyrie, Klay, Simmons, etc because it's afforded them more time to heal and therefore they'll be closer to full health and pre-injury form. So, whether it's Christmas Day or two weeks after, the players will have had plenty of rest.

Lot of ignoring that, with 10 less games, players get a 12% raise on a salary per game basis. Good way to offshoot the increased escrow amount.

Return to Boston Celtics