ImageImageImage

G-League Thread, 2020-21 – (Atlanta Bubble)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,994

Re: G-League News, 2020-21 – (Bubble Play Expected, 12 Games) 

Post#61 » by Parliament10 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:28 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Re: G-League may start in a Bubble – incl. Select "Ignite" Team 

Post#62 » by 31to6 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:36 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

1. I like, in the big picture, how the NBA is developing the GLeague as a college alternative, and with some creativity about rosters and formats. (Are they really playing at Kobe's 'academy'? Very savvy marketing if true)

2. Isn't "Ignite" going to get completely asswhipped by grown men? Or will their elite talent carry the day? I'd honestly like to find out.

3. The old saying is there's "no I in team", but there's some prominent "I"s in "Ignite"! Good luck with that.
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Re: G-League Thread, 2020-21 – (Bubble Play Expected, 12 Games) 

Post#63 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:58 pm

Imagine how cheap you'd have to be as an owner to forego this bubble and the message that would send to future UDFA players you were looking to sign to two-way contracts.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#64 » by SMTBSI » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:17 pm

31to6 wrote:2. Isn't "Ignite" going to get completely asswhipped by grown men? Or will their elite talent carry the day? I'd honestly like to find out.

Either way, it's a wonderful experiment that brings needed drama and eyeballs to the D-League (I will never call it the G-League).

Side note: sadly, might be about time to change your location. :(
31to6
RealGM
And1: 28,009

Post#65 » by 31to6 » Tue Dec 1, 2020 1:57 am

SMTBSI wrote:
31to6 wrote:2. Isn't "Ignite" going to get completely asswhipped by grown men? Or will their elite talent carry the day? I'd honestly like to find out.

Either way, it's a wonderful experiment that brings needed drama and eyeballs to the D-League (I will never call it the G-League).

Side note: sadly, might be about time to change your location. :(

Oh dang! You’re right. “TPE Town”?
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: G-League Thread, 2020-21 – (Bubble Play Expected, 12 Games) 

Post#66 » by Parliament10 » Sun Dec 6, 2020 5:32 pm

Celtics intend for Maine Red Claws to sit out G-League’s current plan for season
By Jared Weiss | Dec. 6, 2020

Read on Twitter

https://theathletic.com/2241819/2020/12/06/celtics-maine-red-claws-g-league/
Organizations will likely have to pay a $500,000 entrance fee to help fund the logistics of operating a bubble campus with a start date around late January. The league does not have a plan for a second bubble at the moment, but things could change depending on a variety of factors. These include the effectiveness of whatever the first G-League phase proves to be, as well as advancements in health logistics surrounding COVID testing and vaccine development....

The Celtics, who bought the Red Claws in 2019, have used the G-League, like most teams, to get minutes for their young players at the back of the bench. Last season, Romeo Langford and Carsen Edwards spent time in Maine, while two-way players Tremont Waters and Tacko Fall were vital cogs of the Red Claws rotation and won G-League season awards for their performances. Maine also has served as a pipeline for coaching development, with its last three head coaches earning promotions to assistant coach jobs in the NBA.

Two-way players are now allowed to spend most of their time with the parent clubs this season after the rules were amended to allow them to play 50 NBA games with unlimited practice and travel time. So Waters and Fall, who became the NBA’s first two-way pairing to return to the club on two-way deals the following season, will be able to step into the rotation if injuries and illness whittle down the roster as the NBA returns amid the pandemic.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Re: G-League Thread, 2020-21 – (Red Claws, Opt Out of G-League Bubble) 

Post#67 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Dec 7, 2020 12:30 am

How restrictive will the Atlanta G-league bubble be? If you can't send Waters, Tacko and the rookies back and forth to get them additional game experience, I don't see the point of having a G-league at all.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#68 » by captain green » Mon Dec 7, 2020 12:44 am

So no g league does that mean amile doesn't get the bonus?
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,874

Post#69 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:39 am

captain green wrote:So no g league does that mean amile doesn't get the bonus?

Well, the rule is 60 days, but I'm guessing he will get the bonus (or equivalent compensation) anyway. His agent knew when he signed that the G-league season was up in the air. Even the full 12 games in the G-league bubble won't take 60 days, so every Exhibit 10 player is in the same boat.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,986

Post#70 » by jfs1000d » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:46 am

31to6 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

1. I like, in the big picture, how the NBA is developing the GLeague as a college alternative, and with some creativity about rosters and formats. (Are they really playing at Kobe's 'academy'? Very savvy marketing if true)

2. Isn't "Ignite" going to get completely asswhipped by grown men? Or will their elite talent carry the day? I'd honestly like to find out.

3. The old saying is there's "no I in team", but there's some prominent "I"s in "Ignite"! Good luck with that.

Ignite going to get killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#71 » by Parliament10 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:46 am

Curmudgeon wrote:
captain green wrote:So no g league does that mean amile doesn't get the bonus?

Well, the rule is 60 days, but I'm guessing he will get the bonus (or equivalent compensation) anyway. His agent knew when he signed that the G-league season was up in the air. Even the full 12 games in the G-league bubble won't take 60 days, so every Exhibit 10 player is in the same boat.

I think that the Celtics will compensate him, something akin to what they did with Max Strus last year.
They gave Strus 1/2 of the Rookie Salary.

Curmudgeon wrote:How restrictive will the Atlanta G-league bubble be? If you can't send Waters, Tacko and the rookies back and forth to get them additional game experience, I don't see the point of having a G-league at all.

Yeah. The G-League is skewed this year, due to COVID-19.
It's looking like the Red Claws will Not have a team this year.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Post#72 » by Parliament10 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:48 am

jfs1000d wrote:
31to6 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:
Read on Twitter

IDK. Half their team is made up of NBA Vets.
And, they've been practicing since September.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#73 » by jfs1000d » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:50 am

Will we not have an affiliate this year? I get it from a business perspective for Boston, but I did like watching the games.

And, business is cruel. They Celtics will spend $10m on Tristan Thompson, no problem. Ask for $500k to field q bubble team? They are like F no. Lol.

I hope the g league returns in full force in 21-22. The nba is on to something with the league as a kind of second division on pro hoops in this country. I really like the 2 way and exhibit 10 deals and having players on loan.

It isn’t a minor league either. More a development league. Cool.

jfs1000d
RealGM

Post#74 » by jfs1000d » Mon Dec 7, 2020 1:50 am

Parliament10 wrote:
jfs1000d wrote:
31to6 wrote:

IDK. Half their team is made up of NBA Vets.
And, they've been practicing since September.

Ok. That’s good. No idea who was ok their real. Just saw college prospects and was like...gonna get killed.

cl2117
General Manager
And1: 6,996

Post#75 » by cl2117 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 10:17 am

It feels a bit like malpractice to not participate in this type of thing.

It's shocking that every NBA team doesn't have a G-League affiliate. There is an organisational learning curve with these types of things and it benefits you to get in on the ground floor of them. I know to an extent they must be money pits, but it's like an extra tool in the chest. Your G-League team isn't likely to have any significant impact on the NBA team, but not having one or running one well means there is zero chance of it happening. If you can afford to, you should, and we can afford to.

It's like having a good Euro scouting department. For a while it was only something really savvy teams did, now everyone does it and even expanded it globally. With rule changes G-League teams could come to have a similar impact on the league as the Euro leagues that are regularly poached. I can definitely see pipelines direct from HS to G-League as well for example.

For an organization like the Celtics, valued at billions of dollars and poised to rake in cash hand over first for the next decade plus at least, to not spend whatever it would ultimately cost to participate here just feels cheap and lazy. There would be benefits for the organization just from participating in another bubble-type scenario even before you get to any development opportunities for our players etc.

I'm disappointed to say the least.
UHar_Vinnie wrote:If you don't lean forward while hugging a dude, you are gonna have a wiener touching incident. You know this.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#76 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Dec 7, 2020 8:36 pm

cl2117 wrote:It feels a bit like malpractice to not participate in this type of thing.

It's shocking that every NBA team doesn't have a G-League affiliate. There is an organisational learning curve with these types of things and it benefits you to get in on the ground floor of them. I know to an extent they must be money pits, but it's like an extra tool in the chest. Your G-League team isn't likely to have any significant impact on the NBA team, but not having one or running one well means there is zero chance of it happening. If you can afford to, you should, and we can afford to.

It's like having a good Euro scouting department. For a while it was only something really savvy teams did, now everyone does it and even expanded it globally. With rule changes G-League teams could come to have a similar impact on the league as the Euro leagues that are regularly poached. I can definitely see pipelines direct from HS to G-League as well for example.

For an organization like the Celtics, valued at billions of dollars and poised to rake in cash hand over first for the next decade plus at least, to not spend whatever it would ultimately cost to participate here just feels cheap and lazy. There would be benefits for the organization just from participating in another bubble-type scenario even before you get to any development opportunities for our players etc.

I'm disappointed to say the least.

That's what I was thinking as well. I'd love to hear the reasoning for opting out of this G League bubble. Is it just a matter of roster construction, as in, the Celtics plan for Waters and Fall is for both to be with the NBA club and thus they don't have any need for G-League development this year? I believe the two-way contracts are different this year due to covid and teams can use their two-way players at the NBA level a lot more. But still, what's half a million to these owners? Just a sell a few more bottles of tequila.

Future UDFA surely look at this as a negative, and the Celtics have failed to really develop a UDFA guy unless you count euro guys likes Wanamaker and Theis. But every year there are good UDFAs out there, 2-3 or more every year develop into rotation players. Even just last year, Lu Dort and Terence Davis provided quality rotation minutes for playoff teams in their rookie seasons. Miami has Duncan Robinson, Kendrick Nunn, Chris Silva. Celtics are gonna have 3 30m+ contracts on the roster, they need to fill in the backend with cheap quality undrafted types. Go look at Wenyen Gabriel and tell me you wouldn't like having him on a two-way deal for Maine right now.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,194

Post#77 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Dec 7, 2020 10:14 pm

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: G-League Thread, 2020-21 – (Atlanta Bubble) 

Post#78 » by Parliament10 » Wed Dec 9, 2020 2:27 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics

Re: G-League Thread, 2020-21 – (Atlanta Bubble) 

Post#79 » by Parliament10 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:02 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics