ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

rd26
Freshman
Posts: 96
And1: 158
Joined: Nov 20, 2017
       

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#121 » by rd26 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:01 am

ddb wrote:
darrendaye wrote:
ddb wrote:I thought it was worth reminding everyone on here that not only did Nesmith shoot over 50% from 3pt in 14 games this past season as a sophomore, but in a full collegiate season as a freshman he shot .475%. So this whole abbreviated shooting narrative isn't accurate. The kid can flat out shoot.


I liked the pick, but this isn't accurate. The 47.5% was his 2pt shot rate, he shot 33.7% from 3 his freshman year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/aaron-nesmith-1.html


O damn you're right. I slipped on that one.


Vandy was absolutely terrible his Freshman year. 0-18 in the SEC I believe. His percentages weren't great, but neither were the looks he was getting. He still stood out as a shooter big time the couple of times I watched him.

If he'd stayed healthy for conference play, those numbers would have come back to earth again.

All that said, make no mistake about it, kid can shoot the rock with anybody.

Wasn't my top choice, but still a very good to great pickup imo
User avatar
31to6
RealGM
Posts: 13,933
And1: 17,145
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: all your picks

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#122 » by 31to6 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:09 pm

I hope his new teammates call him 52%, has a nice ring to it.
with buckners and playa-hater on the TACKO FALL FAN CLUB -- we GO BIG or I guess, go home. But we prefer to GO BIG!
User avatar
AgentGreen
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,967
And1: 2,239
Joined: Feb 12, 2013
Location: Greentown
     

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#123 » by AgentGreen » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:14 pm



Solid highlight, highlight per game he played. He keeps an average Vanderbilt team in the game. Has the abbility to erase a big deficit with his 3 point shot. His driving towards the rim is a huge plus as well. He could be a huge spark off the bench and perhaps we'll finally have a secondary player who can change the game for us instantly when the starters are having a bad game.
Image
User avatar
Half-Full
Senior
Posts: 501
And1: 661
Joined: Jul 10, 2016
       

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#124 » by Half-Full » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:36 pm

I haven't gone back to check if anyone had posted this video previously, but if so, my apologies. I'm posting it because it shows that in addition to being a great prospect who brings a needed skill to the Celtics, it shows that Aaron is also a very thoughtful, smart, and well-spoken young man. Big plus in my book. No need to watch the entire video, as it is a bit repetitive (reporters asking if he had touched base with the team they cover, and if so, what he might bring to their team).

User avatar
big-shot-ROB
Pro Prospect
Posts: 995
And1: 952
Joined: May 18, 2017
   

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#125 » by big-shot-ROB » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:53 pm

He's an excellent shooter (still small sample size) but trust me, he can't put the ball on the floor to save his life right now.
Robert Horry is better than MJ, because everybody knows that 7>6.
User avatar
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,929
And1: 3,480
Joined: Mar 27, 2011

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#126 » by Zombiesonics » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:14 pm

big-shot-ROB wrote:He's an excellent shooter (still small sample size) but trust me, he can't put the ball on the floor to save his life right now.


has limited to zero upside as a creator, was pretty much spoon fed shots from scottie pippens son ( the real creator on that team). What i'm looking for is if he can increase the versatility of his shot making ; the pump fake side step threes, or just a quicker and higher release in general. Also maybe he turns into a plus defender, but its clear ainge focused in on a guy with a high floor ready to contribute...which is a strange philosophy for a lotto pick.
User avatar
CavemanDoctor
Veteran
Posts: 2,651
And1: 4,040
Joined: Oct 21, 2005
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#127 » by CavemanDoctor » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:36 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:
big-shot-ROB wrote:He's an excellent shooter (still small sample size) but trust me, he can't put the ball on the floor to save his life right now.


has limited to zero upside as a creator, was pretty much spoon fed shots from scottie pippens son ( the real creator on that team). What i'm looking for is if he can increase the versatility of his shot making ; the pump fake side step threes, or just a quicker and higher release in general. Also maybe he turns into a plus defender, but its clear ainge focused in on a guy with a high floor ready to contribute...which is a strange philosophy for a lotto pick.


Good thing we don't need a shot creator on this team, have plenty. Easily have 4 guys already who can create their own shot or shots for others.

Granted I'm only basing this on the 30 minutes worth of footage I watched since draft night but I recall he actually had pump fake sidestep threes in his repertoire. Small sample size, obviously. Mike Schmidt went over this exact point with him in the virtual review they did together.
SMTBSI
RealGM
Posts: 14,087
And1: 21,177
Joined: Jun 27, 2014
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#128 » by SMTBSI » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:07 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:
big-shot-ROB wrote:He's an excellent shooter (still small sample size) but trust me, he can't put the ball on the floor to save his life right now.

has limited to zero upside as a creator, was pretty much spoon fed shots from scottie pippens son ( the real creator on that team). What i'm looking for is if he can increase the versatility of his shot making ; the pump fake side step threes, or just a quicker and higher release in general. Also maybe he turns into a plus defender, but its clear ainge focused in on a guy with a high floor ready to contribute...which is a strange philosophy for a lotto pick.

14th pick in what everyone was calling a weak draft on a team with plenty of shot creation. I at least see the rationale.

Players don't get drafted into a vacuum, they need opportunity to develop. He's got a ready-made role on this team from day one, which a lesser shooter but superior creator may not have had.

I don't know near enough about him to really evaluate him, but I think the shape of it at least makes some kind of sense.
SMTBSI
RealGM
Posts: 14,087
And1: 21,177
Joined: Jun 27, 2014
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#129 » by SMTBSI » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:17 pm

Also, I do think fans tend to overestimate the quality of talent available at given picks. If you haven't done it lately, go back through the last 10-15 drafts at some point and look at all the players who were taken 10th, 14th, 20th, etc.

It's pretty damned sobering. Really only a couple of guys who are worth a damn from any given draft, and any given draft slot.

Nailing a star in the top 3 is hard enough. I'm honestly not convinced that star hunting is always the optimal strategy at every spot in the first round. Your odds just suck.
User avatar
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,929
And1: 3,480
Joined: Mar 27, 2011

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#130 » by Zombiesonics » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:24 pm

CavemanDoctor wrote:Good thing we don't need a shot creator on this team, have plenty. Easily have 4 guys already who can create their own shot or shots for others.

Granted I'm only basing this on the 30 minutes worth of footage I watched since draft night but I recall he actually had pump fake sidestep threes in his repertoire. Small sample size, obviously. Mike Schmidt went over this exact point with him in the virtual review they did together.


I didn't mean 'playmaker', but someone who can create shots under duress that isn't just an open catch n shoot or coming off a pin down. You wouldn't mind herro on this team right? He was a much more versatile shot creator coming out of kentucky than nesmith is for sure. When a team scouts you, those open shots he has plenty of tape on will be hard to come by. Thats all I meant by the post, and have been on record here on this board pre draft saying nesmith upside is quite low compared to other options in the teens.
User avatar
Zombiesonics
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,929
And1: 3,480
Joined: Mar 27, 2011

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#131 » by Zombiesonics » Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:27 pm

SMTBSI wrote:Players don't get drafted into a vacuum, they need opportunity to develop. He's got a ready-made role on this team from day one, which a lesser shooter but superior creator may not have had.

I don't know near enough about him to really evaluate him, but I think the shape of it at least makes some kind of sense.


I agree. I mean the fit is good, a potential shamet like piece to help space the floor. Just my personal philosophy dictates wanting Ainge to be aggressive moving up a few slots and to swing a bit. Like many others in the celtics blogosphere, I would have preferred he just grab Bane at 26 as a shooting specialist.
flintsky21
Rookie
Posts: 1,154
And1: 1,645
Joined: Oct 21, 2010
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#132 » by flintsky21 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:04 pm

Zombiesonics wrote:
CavemanDoctor wrote:Good thing we don't need a shot creator on this team, have plenty. Easily have 4 guys already who can create their own shot or shots for others.

Granted I'm only basing this on the 30 minutes worth of footage I watched since draft night but I recall he actually had pump fake sidestep threes in his repertoire. Small sample size, obviously. Mike Schmidt went over this exact point with him in the virtual review they did together.


I didn't mean 'playmaker', but someone who can create shots under duress that isn't just an open catch n shoot or coming off a pin down. You wouldn't mind herro on this team right? He was a much more versatile shot creator coming out of kentucky than nesmith is for sure. When a team scouts you, those open shots he has plenty of tape on will be hard to come by. Thats all I meant by the post, and have been on record here on this board pre draft saying nesmith upside is quite low compared to other options in the teens.

Nesmith's role on this team is to be more of a Duncan Robinson than a Tyler Herro.
User avatar
VeryMuchWoke
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,048
And1: 4,617
Joined: Dec 18, 2011
Location: NOLA / Seattle
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#133 » by VeryMuchWoke » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:29 pm

How come running of screens and relocating to soft spots doesn't count as "shot creation"?
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
threrf23
RealGM
Posts: 13,662
And1: 3,176
Joined: Mar 22, 2004
Contact:

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#134 » by threrf23 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:42 pm

As a sophomore, through 12 games of non-conference play, guy shot 57% from 3. (edit - 53%, a little more than 4 shots per game)

Oh wait - that's Desmond Bane.

52% on 8 attempts is obviously more impressive. I just wanted to point that out. Nesmith clearly has higher upside and I haven't been down on him so much as unsure what to make of him.
User avatar
31to6
RealGM
Posts: 13,933
And1: 17,145
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Location: all your picks

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#135 » by 31to6 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:47 pm

VeryMuchWoke wrote:How come running of screens and relocating to soft spots doesn't count as "shot creation"?


Cmon man, shot creation is this: ;noapp=1
with buckners and playa-hater on the TACKO FALL FAN CLUB -- we GO BIG or I guess, go home. But we prefer to GO BIG!
TheBounceIsReal
Sophomore
Posts: 136
And1: 215
Joined: Mar 10, 2017
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#136 » by TheBounceIsReal » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:57 pm

VeryMuchWoke wrote:How come running of screens and relocating to soft spots doesn't count as "shot creation"?


Generally you need someone with the ball to create those opportunities. Coming off a screen often requires at least some ball movement and passing, and soft spots only open up once a ball handler has broken down the defense and forced the attention away from the initial defensive set.
User avatar
dakomish23
RealGM
Posts: 39,838
And1: 24,872
Joined: Sep 22, 2013
Location: Empire State
     

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#137 » by dakomish23 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:58 pm

You guys got a good one. Potential starter for the next decade with J&J. Seamless fit. Should be in the rotation from day 1 IMO
:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128
User avatar
VeryMuchWoke
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,048
And1: 4,617
Joined: Dec 18, 2011
Location: NOLA / Seattle
 

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#138 » by VeryMuchWoke » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:12 pm

TheBounceIsReal wrote:
VeryMuchWoke wrote:How come running of screens and relocating to soft spots doesn't count as "shot creation"?


Generally you need someone with the ball to create those opportunities. Coming off a screen often requires at least some ball movement and passing, and soft spots only open up once a ball handler has broken down the defense and forced the attention away from the initial defensive set.


It was a rhetorical question.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
Gomes3PC
Head Coach
Posts: 7,109
And1: 2,879
Joined: Feb 10, 2006

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#139 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:31 pm

Think I found my comp for him - Allan Houston. Not a playmaker, but a really nice shooter, good length, solid but unspectacular defender.
User avatar
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,535
And1: 1,258
Joined: Sep 22, 2004
     

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#140 » by Spin Move » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:06 am

Gomes3PC wrote:Think I found my comp for him - Allan Houston. Not a playmaker, but a really nice shooter, good length, solid but unspectacular defender.

Jerry Stackhouse his coach made the same comparison a few days ago

Return to Boston Celtics