ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#301 » by Dave_From_NB » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:45 pm

I missed the first half, but was impressed with his last stint and hope it gives him some confidence. It was nice to see him get a couple of solid assists, along with a couple of baskets. It took several seasons for Tatum and Brown to do much for passing, but Aaron seems to already have some talent in that regard.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,533

Post#302 » by playa-hater » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:13 pm

mwhis21 wrote:I’m probably in the minority here but I’m not sold on Neismith as a great shooter. A lot has been made about 14 games last year against D2 talent.

Meanwhile, he was a 33% shooter his freshman year.

I’m honestly not sure he was “the best shooter in the draft”. He had the best 10-15 game stretch of anyone in the draft.

I’m hoping he does become a lethal threat from 3pt, because we need that guy. But I’m not sold yet.

And I have nothing against him. I thought that pick should have been traded 12-18 months earlier.

All that said, I agree he needs a game where he hits 3-4 shots to get that confident and feel back.

There is no such thing as a great shooter UNTIL they prove it. but based on my eye test/videos game film, I at least feel his chances of being a very good shooter is well within reason.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,070

Post#303 » by Ed Pinkney » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:55 pm

He is a little manic out there it seems. That leads to some poor defensive plays, turnovers and missed shots.

Once he gets used to the speed lets the game come to him a bit more I think he’ll start to play a bit more consistently.

I just don’t know if there is going to be a lot of minutes for him without injuries to those in front of him.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#304 » by themoneyteam2 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:26 pm

He doesn’t look like he belongs in the league. Sorry but he just doesn’t. Hope things change but was never sold on him and tried to talk myself into the pick sadly.

He better be 40%+ 3PT shooter to justify taking him in the lottery. Just sucks back to back years lottery pick doesn’t contribute in rookie year
Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Post#305 » by Squigglepuffin » Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:34 pm

Give him a year. How many regular season minutes has he played? Way too early to give up on him.

He reminds me of Doug McDermott with a better NBA body (longer, more athletic) and McDermott took a while to find a role in the league.

I understand Danny's logic in selecting him in the draft. I don't hate Nesmith as a pick but I don't love him as a pick.

It is an understandable risk to take in drafting him though if you're just drafting for upside.

The question is though if you're so close to the finals with ballers like Kemba, Tatum, and Brown should upside be the priority in drafting atm rather than solid reliable players to fill out your roster and give the team real depth?

If Danny wanted a wing who obviously wouldn't bust he would've (not should've) selected Saddiq Bey. If Danny wanted a player in last years draft who wouldn't bust he would've (not should've) selected Brandon Clarke.

I say would've instead of should've because I have to believe he knew before each draft what both of them would bring to the table, but in both drafts at #14 he seems to have gone with guys he thinks he have the highest upside.

In fairness I haven't really watched Nesmith play this season yet other than the one or two highlight videos on YouTube BUT giving up on a guy after only playing a small amount of minutes the first few weeks of his rookie season without a training camp is unfair.

Knowing Tyler Bey would be there at #26 I just wish we had selected Zeke Nnaji at #14 and just believed in our player development coaches ability to teach him how to play basketball (because he's raw atm and if not properly developed could just end up being Marquese Chriss 2.0 as a center though).

As much as I love Danny (and I still think he's one of the best) if we don't have coaches who can do that then unfortunately that reflects poorly on him.
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#306 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:25 am

themoneyteam2 wrote:He doesn’t look like he belongs in the league. Sorry but he just doesn’t. Hope things change but was never sold on him and tried to talk myself into the pick sadly.

He better be 40%+ 3PT shooter to justify taking him in the lottery. Just sucks back to back years lottery pick doesn’t contribute in rookie year

He doesn't strike me as a lost cause. Just young and inexperienced. He was injured last year and didn't play anything close to a full season.

I would have drafted differently too, but that doesn't mean I would have been right. There were moans and groans all over Celtics land when Ainge took Pritchard, so let's not rush to judgment.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
Squigglepuffin
Junior
And1: 300

Post#307 » by Squigglepuffin » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:26 am

Curmudgeon wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:He doesn’t look like he belongs in the league. Sorry but he just doesn’t. Hope things change but was never sold on him and tried to talk myself into the pick sadly.

He doesn't strike me as a lost cause. Just young and inexperienced. He was injured last year and didn't play anything close to a full season.

I would have drafted differently too, but that doesn't mean I would have been right.

Who would you have drafted?
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#308 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:41 am

Squigglepuffin wrote:
Curmudgeon wrote:

I would have drafted differently too, but that doesn't mean I would have been right.

Who would you have drafted?

I was one of the few who was saying Pritchard was a good pick since everyone was going crazy since they had never watched him lol.

At 14 I really wanted Precious Achiuwa and then either Maxey or Saddiq Bey. I was also high on RJ Hampton as well.

Was just never sold on Nesmith and thought no way he’d be the pick since they usually like versatility and guys with multiple translatable skills. Though it was a high floor, low ceiling pick and sadly wrong on the high floor since you would think to pick a shooter to contribute right away which doesn’t look like that’s gonna happen
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,872

Post#309 » by Curmudgeon » Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:42 am

I would have drafted Isaiah Stewart at #14, maybe Pritchard at #28 (although I really liked Tyrell Terry as well) and at #46 I would have talen Nate Hinton, who went undrafted. If I felt the need to stash someone in Europe with #46, I would have taken Paul Eboua.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West

"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells

"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,533

Post#310 » by playa-hater » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:49 am

I had Precious #1, with S Bey and Nesmith 2 and 3. (Pat Williams was not expected to be available)

But with that said, I could see Precious sitting behind Theis, TT and RW, getting no minutes and everyone calling him a bust.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#311 » by bucknersrevenge » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:56 am

I wanted Danny to trade up and get Haliburton. He was taken only 2 picks ahead. I had Cole Anthony. Last night didn't dissuade me from Anthony. Still think he'd be a good player here. Obviously I'm happy with Pritchard. But considering the rationale for drafting Pitchard (plug and play), I'm a little surprised that they didn't draft Saddiq Bey who fit that same rationale as Pritchard and helps with the wing depth and unlike Nesmith, can play NBA defense right now.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
JediMasterRevan
Sixth Man
And1: 1,047

Post#312 » by JediMasterRevan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:14 am

bucknersrevenge wrote:I wanted Danny to trade up and get Haliburton. He was taken only 2 picks ahead. I had Cole Anthony. Last night didn't dissuade me from Anthony. Still think he'd be a good player here. Obviously I'm happy with Pritchard. But considering the rationale for drafting Pitchard (plug and play), I'm a little surprised that they didn't draft Saddiq Bey who fit that same rationale as Pritchard and helps with the wing depth and unlike Nesmith, can play NBA defense right now.

I wanted hali as well and was absolutely gutted when he went to the kings.

Then when nesmith was picked i was praying for a deal to take place with the kings for pick 30 and aaron. When I heard that pick 30 was being traded I though "bane and nesmith for Haluburton! Perfect!"

I was wrong and I am still sad.

And would rather bane that edwards.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#313 » by Gomes3PC » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:41 am

Feels a little like the Herro situation all over again here. Hali was so close to sliding to us. At some point Ainge just needs to aggressively move up when those situations arise.

Maybe Nesmith pans out, maybe not. But the probability he is a better player than Haliburton at any point looks extremely low.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#314 » by GregB » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:21 am

He looked a bit better defensively last night. Still not a great defender but he’s clearly working at it.

In terms of offense, everyone said he’s just a run a round screens outside shooter. But he has really impressed me with some of his takes to the hoop. He looks to be a more complete offensive player than initially expected.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#315 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:09 am

Gomes3PC wrote:Feels a little like the Herro situation all over again here. Hali was so close to sliding to us. At some point Ainge just needs to aggressively move up when those situations arise.

Maybe Nesmith pans out, maybe not. But the probability he is a better player than Haliburton at any point looks extremely low.

For sure but I think they obviously had a plan to get Pritchard at 26 so at least they looked to have hit on drafting a point guard. Chances are you’d have to trade 14 and 26 to move up to get Halliburton too. I don’t fault the process at all just the draft selection at 14.

Sadly think they just took the wrong guy at 14. Seemed like Nesmith would be a high floor guy to come in right away on this specific roster and provide shooting (the thing they needed most). The seemingly more raw prospects like Precious and Maxey have been good in their minutes so far, and Saddiq Bey has looked good on a terrible Pistons team. Turns out Nesmith just looks lost out there and likely won’t be a contributor this year which sucks.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#316 » by ParticleMan » Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:49 am

All the people writing him off are going to look foolish in 2 years.
His shot looks good. His effort looks good. His athleticism is fine. He’s clueless now but that’s to be expected. He’s also stuck behind semi who is suddenly a viable player and javonte who is looking good out there. Remember how those guys looked even worse than nesmith two years ago? Nesmith has way more potential. Trust in the ainge/stevens development plan.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#317 » by BillessuR6 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:06 pm

If he played on a bad team like the Pistons he would get 20+ minutes per game...and average 10+ points per game...

Ironically his biggest problem right now is his shot isn`t falling...when he makes a few in a row everything else will also open up for him.

I disagree with majority here that he looks lost. I think he has really high BBIQ and he will thrive when he gets more minutes and a defined role in this team.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#318 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 3:25 pm

ParticleMan wrote:All the people writing him off are going to look foolish in 2 years.
His shot looks good. His effort looks good. His athleticism is fine. He’s clueless now but that’s to be expected. He’s also stuck behind semi who is suddenly a viable player and javonte who is looking good out there. Remember how those guys looked even worse than nesmith two years ago? Nesmith has way more potential. Trust in the ainge/stevens development plan.

Sure but how can you say his shot looks good so far lol
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#319 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:23 pm

Just please don't be the next RJ Hunter or James Young.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
Half-Full
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,127

Post#320 » by Half-Full » Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:20 pm

thebirdman wrote:If he played on a bad team like the Pistons he would get 20+ minutes per game...and average 10+ points per game...

Ironically his biggest problem right now is his shot isn`t falling...when he makes a few in a row everything else will also open up for him.

I disagree with majority here that he looks lost. I think he has really high BBIQ and he will thrive when he gets more minutes and a defined role in this team.

I agree. This is a kid who was accepted by Harvard, but opted to attend Vanderbilt, also a very good academic school. This says to me that it is extremely unlikely that he would fail to grasp the complexities of the NBA game. He did look a little lost in his first game, but significantly less so last game. His smarts, a good work ethic, decent athleticism, and a good shot bodes well. Give him a bit of time, all the ingredients are there.

Return to Boston Celtics