ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#341 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:08 pm

I'm really not worried about Nesmith's shot at all. The game will slow down eventually and he will relax and hit shots. He's got a beautiful stroke. It will come. Getting it together at the other end is my concern at the moment. And he doesn't have to be amazing at that level. Just decent. Be in the right place more often than not. And his offensive game will come. I couldn't be less worried about his slow start.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#342 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:46 pm

On the other hand, one could argue that for many players, attaining at least some small level of success at the offensive end, especially using the skills that got them to this level in the first place, builds their overall confidence and subsequently, their willingness to engage more heartily at the defensive end. Doesn't work that way for everyone but it happens. Considering the complexity of our defensive concepts, maybe it's no surprise that most rookies struggle at BOTH ends in our system out the gate. As they struggle to grasp the defense, their confidence takes a hit which in turn affects them at the other end. Just Psych 101. This is why Brad's system really prefers veterans who know how to play over rookies who are trying to figure out so many things all at once. And we continue to have one of the youngest teams in the league despite all that.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#343 » by SMTBSI » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:09 am

It's not weird for your mid-1st round guard to not get on the floor much in the first couple weeks of his rookie year. No player in the history of the NBA has busted in 15 games. (Well, I probably shouldn't say that. Bet some weird stuff went down back in the olden days.)

Avery Bradley's (drafted #19) totals through the team's first 16 games of his rookie year:

MP: 6:11
±: -4
TS: 34.7%
PTS: 2
REB: 1
AST: 1
STL: 1
BLK: 0
TO: 2
PF: 0

Terry Rozier's (drafted #16) totals through the team's first 16 games of his rookie year:

MP: 72:53
± : -7
TS: 23.5%
PTS: 16
REB: 10
AST: 8
STL: 0
TO: 6
PF: 5

Aaron Nesmith's (drafted #14) totals through the team's first 16 games of his rookie year:

MP: 101:21
±: -18
TS: 48.5%
PTS: 33
REB: 15
AST: 4
BLK: 2
TO: 4
PF: 14
Justin33
Sixth Man
And1: 1,067

Post#344 » by Justin33 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:07 am

Against CLE
;ab_channel=TomaszKordylewski
Justin33
Sixth Man

Post#345 » by Justin33 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:10 am

Tonight's interview
;ab_channel=CLNSMedia
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,544

Post#346 » by playa-hater » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:53 am

I have preached this many times and will preach it again. The reason I had Nesmith as one of my top 3 choices at 14 was for the way he can compliment and help Maximize the Talents of the Js. Considering we lost GH and looking at the roster, his specialty in shooting is held by no one on Boston's roster (Other than Edwards who is 5'10 and can't switch on D) and (PP who does not play the same position)

When the Js are attacking or Kemba, we need the most reliable shooter from the outside. Isn't that the main reason Boston/Ainge/Stevens drafted him.

It is an absolutely Priority IMO to get him as many in game reps as possible before the season ends. then maybe, just maybe, he will be exactly what we need come playoffs.

please no more minutes for Edwards and Green. Neither will play in the playoffs. Neither will be a part of Boston's future. Let Nesmith DO what he was drafted for.

GET HIM READY!!
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
ballup
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,526

Post#347 » by ballup » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:58 pm

SMTBSI wrote:It's not weird for your mid-1st round guard to not get on the floor much in the first couple weeks of his rookie year. No player in the history of the NBA has busted in 15 games. (Well, I probably shouldn't say that. Bet some weird stuff went down back in the olden days.)

Avery Bradley's (drafted #19) totals through the team's first 16 games of his rookie year:

MP: 6:11
±: -4
TS: 34.7%
PTS: 2
REB: 1
AST: 1
STL: 1
TO: 2
PF: 0

Terry Rozier's (drafted #16) totals through the team's first 16 games of his rookie year:

MP: 72:53
± : -7
TS: 23.5%
PTS: 16
REB: 10
AST: 8
TO: 6
PF: 5

Aaron Nesmith's (drafted #14) totals through the team's first 16 games of his rookie year:

MP: 101:21
±: -18
TS: 48.5%
PTS: 33
REB: 15
AST: 4
BLK: 2
TO: 4
PF: 14

I don't disagree with your point, but those two aren't the best examples. Doc was in that old school mentality of turning any player under 6'4" into a pg. It wasn't until Doc assigned him to be a full court menance when Bradley started to play better.

Rozier was never a good bench player. He has been very momentum reliant and hss to have enough touches and bad shots to get going.

I understand people are frustrated that not all picks work out immediately like a Pritchard or a Smart, but if you're putting the success of a team on a rookie, there are bogger issues on the team.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#348 » by Scoonie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:43 pm

If Nesmith can give us 2-3 made three-pointers without turning the ball over per game than I'm more than happy.

I think we'll see a big jump from rookie year to 2nd year when he can get a full offseason of work in.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
Smog
Senior
And1: 801

Post#349 » by Smog » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:48 pm

Nesmith doesn't look like a bust. Even in his worst outings, he has positive moments. He has none of that R.J. Hunter, James Young, or Guerschon vibe, where you're asking, "What can this guy possibly be good at in the NBA?" He's clearly a big, physical kid who can score.

He's starting to get some confidence shooting, and it's noticeable that Stevens is giving him meaningful minutes. They must think he's doing pretty well behind the scenes.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#350 » by Scoonie » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:58 pm

Based on a very limited sample size, Nesmith appears to shoot better when he is involved in the offense and not just standing in the corner waiting for the ball.

He's a smart guy, and hopefully Brad will trust him enough to get the ball in his hands more often and allow him to handle, pass, and come off screens.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#351 » by ddb » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:20 pm

I never freak out about rookies if they struggle early. We always need to keep a few things in mind when evaluating rookies. First, there’s a major adjustment period. NBA players are significantly better than college players. Bigger, faster, smarter, etc. so it takes time for rookies to adjust to the NBA game, but eventually it’ll start slowing down for those who are good and will stick around in the league. Second, most of these rookies have spent their entire lives as the star of their team. Big minutes, constant involvement touching the ball. So they go from being the star to all of a sudden coming off the bench with a very short leash.
I like Nesmith. Liked him in college and love how he should be able to help this team moving forward. Having a knock down shooter like Nesmith will really help out.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#352 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:41 pm

Certainly doesn't look scared anymore. He was pretty sharp defensively last night vs. the Bulls, though he didn't get many tough matchups, mainly sitting in the wing defending Pat Williams or someone like that.

Still fairly concerned he doesn't have much else to his bag besides spot up 3 point shooting - 4 assists in 101 minutes is not incredibly encouraging, but I also appreciate the staff is doing all they can to keep his role tightly defined while he settles in.

Overall, just glad he looks more comfortable out there. I am sure just seeing some shots go down loosened him up. With Pritchard out, I think there will continue to be ~10-20 MPG out there for him to earn.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#353 » by ddb » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:54 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Certainly doesn't look scared anymore. He was pretty sharp defensively last night vs. the Bulls, though he didn't get many tough matchups, mainly sitting in the wing defending Pat Williams or someone like that.

Still fairly concerned he doesn't have much else to his bag besides spot up 3 point shooting - 4 assists in 101 minutes is not incredibly encouraging, but I also appreciate the staff is doing all they can to keep his role tightly defined while he settles in.

Overall, just glad he looks more comfortable out there. I am sure just seeing some shots go down loosened him up. With Pritchard out, I think there will continue to be ~10-20 MPG out there for him to earn.

he's not going to be creating for others this year. It's just not going to happen very often by design. Brad is going to play him very limited minutes, and when he does he's going to have him in a position to be successful and help the team. That'll never be as a ball handler or creator this season. In the future as he becomes a veteran player? the only assist he will get this season will be the ones where he makes the extra pass out on the 3pt line.
Justin33
Sixth Man

Post#354 » by Justin33 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:26 pm

Scoonie wrote:Based on a very limited sample size, Nesmith appears to shoot better when he is involved in the offense and not just standing in the corner waiting for the ball.

He's a smart guy, and hopefully Brad will trust him enough to get the ball in his hands more often and allow him to handle, pass, and come off screens.

I think both he and Pritchard have had to adjust to that. They are both asked to shoot corner threes now and that wasn't a shot that was available to them in college. They will both get though.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#355 » by Spin Move » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:42 pm

Wait, he plays better when he gets more then a couple of sporadic minutes and get those minutes more consistently, I am shocked, shocked I say (not really). Shooters need minutes and shots, hopefully in the next few weeks he will continue to get both and his confidence and feel for the NBA game will grow.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,932

Post#356 » by SuperDeluxe » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:57 pm

Gomes3PC wrote:Still fairly concerned he doesn't have much else to his bag besides spot up 3 point shooting - 4 assists in 101 minutes is not incredibly encouraging, but I also appreciate the staff is doing all they can to keep his role tightly defined while he settles in.

100% agreed with this. BUT... in order to be able to assist, the ball needs to be in your hands. He hasn't had the ball in his hands enough to conclude he won't be a good assists guy. Very small sample size for anything yet.
bisme37
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 56,592

Post#357 » by bisme37 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:07 pm

Aaron Threesmith
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#358 » by Gomes3PC » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:13 pm

SuperDeluxe wrote:
Gomes3PC wrote:Still fairly concerned he doesn't have much else to his bag besides spot up 3 point shooting - 4 assists in 101 minutes is not incredibly encouraging, but I also appreciate the staff is doing all they can to keep his role tightly defined while he settles in.

100% agreed with this. BUT... in order to be able to assist, the ball needs to be in your hands. He hasn't had the ball in his hands enough to conclude he won't be a good assists guy. Very small sample size for anything yet.

I'd say something I want to monitor. Jaylen had tunnel vision his first few years in the NBA and look at him now. This staff can develop young players and if he has the proper work ethic he can add some of that skill to his game.
Justin33
Sixth Man

Post#359 » by Justin33 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:35 pm

Bulls highlights
;ab_channel=Bllen
soxfan2003
RealGM
And1: 4,178

Post#360 » by soxfan2003 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:43 pm

Nesmith leaving college wasn't James Young, a player the Celtics or at least fans kind of hyped up too much as a potential NBA 3 point shooter or at least hoped would be a very good 3 point shooter. In his one year college career, Young hadn't proven it nearly enough from the free throw line or 3 point line. Nesmith was someone that any reasonable person should expect him to be able to hit 3's in NBA games if he was given decent looks at the basket.

How great of an NBA 3 point shooter debatable and on the margin rest of his game debatable but that he should be at least a good 3 point shooter wasn't. Just really a question of how long it would take him to get comfortable in the NBA and obviously the quality of the rest of his game.

Return to Boston Celtics