ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith!

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,790

Re: Welcome to Boston, Aaron Nesmith! 

Post#681 » by bucknersrevenge » Sat May 1, 2021 2:14 pm

What he's effectively doing is stealing the shine that was meant for Evan Fournier down the stretch. Fournier
s shot hasn't come around yet (He had Covid and he's learning a new team and a new system so I'm not gonna beat him up too much) but even moreso, Nesmith's hustle and defense is keeping him on the floor now where Fournier's defense already mediocre at best, is made worse by trying to learn a new defense on the fly. So good for the kid for taking advantage of that situation and of Romeo not being productive. Nesmith's shot is beginning to come around. He shot 41% from 3 this month and maybe, just maybe starting push himself into the discussion for playoff rotation minutes.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#682 » by cloverleaf » Sat May 1, 2021 2:40 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:What he's effectively doing is stealing the shine that was meant for Evan Fournier down the stretch. Fournier
s shot hasn't come around yet (He had Covid and he's learning a new team and a new system so I'm not gonna beat him up too much) but even moreso, Nesmith's hustle and defense is keeping him on the floor now where Fournier's defense already mediocre at best, is made worse by trying to learn a new defense on the fly. So good for the kid for taking advantage of that situation and of Romeo not being productive. Nesmith's shot is beginning to come around. He shot 41% from 3 this month and maybe, just maybe starting push himself into the discussion for playoff rotation minutes.

Already for his rookie season Nesmith has a higher 3pt% than Walker, Smart, Fournier, Kornet, Langford, Parker... And a higher TS% than all of those except for being .003 behind Smart and .01 behind Parker (.007 behind Ojeleye), just equal to Thompson.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#683 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat May 1, 2021 5:28 pm

24istheLAW wrote:Man I hope he's in the rotation for good. He's a real shooter and he has enormous balls. The rest will figure itself out.

I think he may be, even though there's no basis to be confident in that after what is just a two-game hot streak. Plays were run for him, and it worked out. He played in crunch time, and it worked out. His effort is outstanding, his athleticism is very good, his shot is falling, he made a couple of good passes -- so what is there possibly not to like except perhaps his recognition and decision-making? Various quotes and interviews indicate that the coaches and teammates agree with the previous point ...

... and his decision-making now looks decent, with the remaining dumbass rookie snafus being well-balanced by the hustling-to-a-potential-rich-place-and-making-a-play-out-of-it successes.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#684 » by GoGreen » Sat May 1, 2021 5:43 pm

I love how hard he plays. Finally seeing results from all his effort. More Nesmith!!
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,018

Post#685 » by London2Boston » Sat May 1, 2021 5:54 pm

Kid consistently plays hard and this season that really shouldn’t be took for granted. Give him some more run.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#686 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat May 1, 2021 6:12 pm

Like Ray Allen, Aaron Nesmith was the key asset coming back as the Celtics traded away Jeff Green. :)
djFan71
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,170

Post#687 » by djFan71 » Sat May 1, 2021 6:44 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:Like Ray Allen, Aaron Nesmith was the key asset coming back as the Celtics traded away Jeff Green. :)

I've been saying for awhile I wanted to resign Jeff Green just so Danny could trade him again.
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#688 » by Feed Your Head » Sat May 1, 2021 7:03 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#689 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat May 1, 2021 7:34 pm

Over the past 2 games, Nesmith has racked up approximately:

-- 1/3 of his career steals.
-- 1/3 of his career blocks.
-- 1/4 of his career offensive rebounds.
-- 1/5 of his career points.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/n/nesmiaa01/gamelog/2021
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#690 » by peachbucket » Sat May 1, 2021 7:36 pm

Wow, this thread aged like a freshly peeled avocado. I think the lesson here is don’t judge too quickly with highly cerebral players like Jaylen and Aaron...but once they get comfortable and game slows down then look out.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,687

Post#691 » by return2glory » Sat May 1, 2021 11:17 pm

Going into this season, I didn’t expect much from Nesmith because he was coming off an injury and it was a very short off season.

Nesmith hasn’t played well for the most part and that’s ok.

I’m looking for improvement from him in his 2nd year. But the last 2 games his has played has been fun to watch. Hope he can continue to build off that.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#692 » by playa-hater » Sat May 1, 2021 11:28 pm

return2glory wrote:Going into this season, I didn’t expect much from Nesmith because he was coming off an injury and it was a very short off season.

Nesmith hasn’t played well for the most part and that’s ok.

I’m looking for improvement from him in his 2nd year. But the last 2 games his has played has been fun to watch. Hope he can continue to build off that.

I feel you have made a very conservative assessment about next year ., NE Smith was injured and he missed Summer camp, no training cam, no preseason games and wasn't allowed to play much and yet managed to play this well in his last few games, I can't imagine what a summer camp and training camp and preseason will do for him going forward.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
poopship
Junior
And1: 607

Post#693 » by poopship » Sun May 2, 2021 5:33 am

cloverleaf wrote:
Spoiler:
31to6 wrote:When did “best shooter in the draft” become code for “hustles like a maniac told he has moments to live”?

His effort to get to shooters in the second half — for like 20+ straight minutes of game time — was phenomenal.

Plus his jumper and drive game are great.

Compared to Devin Vassell last night? No ragrats.

Here's a great story on Nesmith from before he was the "best shooter in the draft":

https://www.postandcourier.com/moultrie-news/the-complexity-of-aaron-nesmith-the-draft-s-most-intriguing-prospect/article_49d89f70-8e2b-11ea-88f3-17c3aa777d46.html

Fantastic piece.
When they say players would do just about anything to win, normally that is not apparent by their level of effort on the court (especially if they are talented). But Nesmith really looks like he will. If he's not just a dog but really smart too he'll be special.
1st banana
Starter
And1: 3,002

Post#694 » by 1st banana » Sun May 2, 2021 5:42 am

If the entire team played with 1/3 the energy and effort that nesmith plays with we’d be **** undefeated right now. He was everywhere last night on switches crashing the boards diving everywhere really starting to get that good feeling about him.

Does his release look slightly smoother and quicker recently not that it wasn’t nice looking before but almost like he was shooting too slow.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#695 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun May 2, 2021 6:08 am

zoyathedestroya wrote:

That was 1/3 of his career blocks, but the point stands.
jirrit
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,620

Post#696 » by jirrit » Sun May 2, 2021 6:09 am

Read on Twitter
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#697 » by Spin Move » Mon May 3, 2021 2:28 am

3 really good games in a row from Nesmith 16 and 4 in 20 minutes tonight on 4-4 from three, team was +11 when he was playing in a game we ultimately lost by 10, though definitely not because of his play. He still needs to get more shots, only 7 tonight.
durden_tyler
RealGM
And1: 6,377

Post#698 » by durden_tyler » Mon May 3, 2021 3:50 am

Not sure if you saw this in GB: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2077313

Not a Boston fan at all but that nickname should stick in my opinion (Of course i thought about it :D) Great find on that player!
If there is no basketball in heaven, i am not going.
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,141

Post#699 » by playa-hater » Mon May 3, 2021 3:59 am

I am still so sick of Stevens NOT giving Nesmith a LEGIT chance all year long. All year long no one understood the value of playing time = (experience + in game reps) = confidence = better PRODUCTION.

This disaster of a coach gave minutes to players like Edwards-Semi-J Green -blah blah blah, when it was so obvious that they weren't anything more than end of bench/G-league level talents.

And no one can say Nesmith developed due to the many practices and game minutes. He only played due to a ton of losing with non productive scrubs and injuries. Damn if it were not for injuries and missed time Nesmith would not even had this chance.

The more quality games I see Nesmith play, the more I despise Brad Stevens.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Fencer reregistered
RealGM

Post#700 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon May 3, 2021 4:08 am

He's in the rotation.

Never mind that he's the ninth guy and 8 might suffice -- guys are always hurt, tired, etc. And Nesmith plays with energy.

Return to Boston Celtics