ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! 

Post#401 » by bucknersrevenge » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:26 pm

My read on this kid as I've stated earlier is that he's maybe 2 years away from being a solid starting caliber guard. He already possesses many of the requisite skills to handle the position competently. He needs to get stronger of course. Obviously he hasn't been through an offseason workout program and I'm sure this season hasn't really lent itself to time to get into the weight room more regularly. So right now he gets pushed around a bit on defense but I don't think that will always be the case. And of course, continue to make the requisite strides on defense that come with experience and teaching. One of the things Pritchard currently benefits from is that Brad traditionally allows for subpar defense from the 1 spot. Always has. It's the one position where Brad has always preferred scoring more and has been willing to jettison defensive-minded 1's in favor of better scoring 1's. There's a lot he can learn from Kemba right now, but in Year 3, I take the training wheels off and let the kid go.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#402 » by Scoonie » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:09 pm

His lack of explosive athleticism and leaping ability may limit his ability to be a starting NBA point guard, but he's sure going to be a top-flight backup point guard. Like everyone else here, I just love the way he plays.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#403 » by JHTruth » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:29 pm

He is still a rookie in that his decisions aren't quite there in terms of their immediacy. Sometimes he'll hold the ball a split second too long and things like that. That will improve as he picks up the speed of the NBA game.

Other than that he plays like a 10 year vet
Wes-J
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,769

Post#404 » by Wes-J » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:47 pm

Scoonie wrote:His lack of explosive athleticism and leaping ability may limit his ability to be a starting NBA point guard, but he's sure going to be a top-flight backup point guard. Like everyone else here, I just love the way he plays.

And the same things were said about Tatum.

VanVleet, Brogdon, Young, Curry doing just fine without acing the athletic traits department.

He's just fine. He's dripping wet with skill. He'll be in the top third in the PG heirarchy for years to come.
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#405 » by Scoonie » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:13 pm

Wes-J wrote:
Scoonie wrote:His lack of explosive athleticism and leaping ability may limit his ability to be a starting NBA point guard, but he's sure going to be a top-flight backup point guard. Like everyone else here, I just love the way he plays.

VanVleet, Brogdon, Young, Curry doing just fine without acing the athletic traits department.

He's just fine. He's dripping wet with skill. He'll be in the top third in the PG heirarchy for years to come.

VanVleet is quicker and stronger, Brogdon is way bigger, and Young and Curry are both more athletic.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#406 » by BostonCouchGM » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:44 pm

lots of terrible takes in here. He's a very good defender. Athleticism isn't great but he more than makes up for it with BBIQ, pace and shooting. He should be starting now and for the next 10 years. You aren't even seeing Pritchard at his best because they have him playing off ball. Wait until you see him playing 32 minutes a game and the offense running through him. It's okay to be late to the bandwagon. Come aboard!
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#407 » by 24istheLAW » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:08 pm

Wes-J wrote:

He also uses his body well in general. Creates separation on drives with his body, gets around picks on defense, can box out. He's not long but he's not a pushover.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,873

Post#408 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:44 pm

Read on Twitter
bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,836

Post#409 » by bucknersrevenge » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:05 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Old friend Allan Ray's on this list??
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,544

Post#410 » by playa-hater » Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:56 am

he is more athletic than 2 time MVP Nash was. Not saying he will be Nash, but his athletic ability is fine IMO. and his game will age better than Russell Wesbrook.

But fit matters as well. same way John Paxson and Steve Kerr were great fits next to Jordan. PP > then them athletically.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#411 » by themoneyteam2 » Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:57 am

Great pick like I said he would be. Seems like he will be similar to a Jalen Brunson but could put up better numbers if/when he’s the full time starter.

For now though he’s jusr a really good backup PG and great catch and shoot.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,691

Post#412 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:51 pm

Something I keep saying about Nesmith is even truer about Pritchard:

Very few rookies in the history of the NBA have played or produced as much as Pritchard has in the first three months after they were drafted.

That's true on a technicality, in that it usually takes the season longer to get started than it did in this weird year. But it underscores why I'm only slightly concerned about some of the flaws in Pritchard's recent play.

That said, somebody should remind Pritchard he has the full range of a PG's offensive responsibilities, and isn't supposed to just be a scorer.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#413 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Mar 3, 2021 7:05 am

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#414 » by zoyathedestroya » Thu Mar 4, 2021 7:03 pm

Read on Twitter
bbd24
Starter
And1: 954

Post#415 » by bbd24 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 9:58 pm

I want to hold onto him. To be this comfortable on the outside as a rookie is pretty remarkable. He’s a knock down shooter that you can’t leave open. Great ball movement as well. Doesn’t have to be a ball stopper. His IQ is top notch.

The biggest question mark was always going to be his defense. He’s no Jimmer Fredette there. He stays in front and is a solid team defender. I’m more than impressed.

What happens when he puts his head down and works to get even better the next couple of years ? I want him to stay in green so we can watch that development first hand.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,691

Post#416 » by Fencer reregistered » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:39 am

Edit: I actually meant this for the VC thread, but since I made the mistake I'll leave it here and copy it there.

A/TO

Pritchard 4/1
Teague 4/1
Walker 6/5
Tatum 5/3
Brown 4/3

Rest of team with 2 assists total.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#417 » by zoyathedestroya » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:57 am

zoyathedestroya
RealGM

Post#418 » by zoyathedestroya » Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Unless vets are all-star types, I think we need more vets that are cool to just chill on the bench and are mentors in the locker room. Less Thompson and Teague, more Haslem and Dudley types. Maybe Evan Turner does the trick without wasting a roster spot.

Teague trade would be huge for Pritch's development.
CelticsLV
Head Coach
And1: 6,662

Post#419 » by CelticsLV » Fri Apr 9, 2021 8:51 am

He's been way too passive for my liking. He has quickness and handles but does very little with it.
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,152

Post#420 » by Hal14 » Fri Apr 9, 2021 2:59 pm

Wes-J wrote:

Woah. I don't know if I'd go that far. You're saying he's going to be a top 10 PG in the NBA for years to come?

You know how tough it is to be top 10 right now?

1) Curry
2) Doncic
3) Lillard
4) Harden/Irving (Irving is more known as a PG, Harden more known as a SG but their roles are reversed on the nets)
5) Chris Paul
6) Morant
7) Trae Young
8) Westbrook
9) Lamelo Ball
10) De'Aaron Fox
11) Jamal Murray
12) Malcolm Brogdon
13) Lonzo Ball
14) Lowry
15) Collin Sexton
16) Conley
17) Kemba
18) Rubio

The 10th guy listed above, Fox. He is literally the Kinch franchise player. So is Lamelo Ball. Do you really think Pritchard can one day be our franchise player? I don't think there's a chance in hell of that happening.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)

Return to Boston Celtics