ImageImageImage

Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! – (Re-signed: 4yrs/$30M)

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bucknersrevenge
RealGM
And1: 13,832

Re: Welcome to Boston, Payton Pritchard! 

Post#461 » by bucknersrevenge » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:40 pm

zoyathedestroya wrote:
Read on Twitter

That mental approach to the game, that maturity that comes with being a 4-year starter in the PAC-10, those are big things man. Especially at the primary ballhandler position, it's not just about who's the quickest or highest upside potential. Who's mature enough to "think the game" when they need to? What I'd love to see this offseason is us trade Kemba. Sign a DJ Augustin/Rubio type for a year or 2 and just let this kid gobble up all the minutes behind them and then after that, take over. Hoping we'll have a really solid starter by then.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,139

Post#462 » by Hal14 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:37 pm

poopship wrote:Deni Avdija, the best player in europe last year? Nobody other than this realgm person who wants to pump Yam Madars tires would say anything like that.

1) Well, he was the first European selected in the 2020 NBA draft, so that's gotta count for something.

2) I said about 15,000 words so if those are the only ones you disagree with, then I guess I'm in good shape.

3) Not looking to pump anyone's tires. I've got no agenda. I have no dog in this fight. Hell, I had never even heard of Yam Madar up until a month ago. But since then I've read up on a few articles, dug into the stats and watched about 10 or 12 videos to get educated in order to provide an informed, objective opinion. I'm simply a Celtics fan and hoops junkie who wants to see the Celtics win and think Madar could help them do that.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
poopship
Junior
And1: 608

Post#463 » by poopship » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:48 pm

Hal14 wrote:
poopship wrote:Deni Avdija, the best player in europe last year? Nobody other than this realgm person who wants to pump Yam Madars tires would say anything like that.

1) Well, he was the first European selected in the 2020 NBA draft, so that's gotta count for something.

2) I said about 15,000 words so if those are the only ones you disagree with, then I guess I'm in good shape.

3) Not looking to pump anyone's tires. I've got no agenda. I have no dog in this fight. Hell, I had never even heard of Yam Madar up until a month ago. But since then I've read up on a few articles, dug into the stats and watched about 10 or 12 videos to get educated in order to provide an informed, objective opinion. I'm simply a Celtics fan and hoops junkie who wants to see the Celtics win and think Madar could help them do that.

Yeah, I agree. Madar looks pretty good to me. I'm just a lunatic fan too and I don't think your posts are bad, it's hard to navigate European basketball because it's a total mess. peace
Hal14
RealGM

Post#464 » by Hal14 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:56 pm

poopship wrote:
Hal14 wrote:

Yeah, I agree. Madar looks pretty good to me. I'm just a lunatic fan too and I don't think your posts are bad, it's hard to navigate European basketball because it's a total mess. peace

Word.

Bottom line, I like Pritchard. He's tough, he's fearless, he can shoot. But I think Madar might be better, especially since the areas Pritchard is weak (undersized, lacking quickness/explosiveness/athleticism, not that good on D, can't really break people down off the dribble and create offense) are all areas Madar is strong.

But Madar is young, he's more of an unknown. We know what we have with Pritchard. I think Madar might be better if he comes over here. Either way, I think the 2 of them could be a decent battle next year for the backup PG spot. We won't know for sure until he comes over here and we can see how he does vs NBA competition and how he fits on this team. And that's if he can even get out of his contract with his Israeli team, seems like a 50/50 at this point..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
bucknersrevenge
RealGM

Post#465 » by bucknersrevenge » Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:15 pm

Can we stop hijacking the Pritchard thread now please?? You can actually create a Madar thread for this discussion if you want you know.
and that's "MR. Irrelevant" to you!!

Founder of The Red's Disciples Podcast
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKArn8FGRYRxGqNDg8J4IAQ/featured
greenroom31
General Manager
And1: 11,410

Post#466 » by greenroom31 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:03 pm

bucknersrevenge wrote:Can we stop hijacking the Pritchard thread now please?? You can actually create a Madar thread for this discussion if you want you know.

Or even just use the existing one:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2018871&p=86390673&hilit=Madar#p86390673
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#467 » by jfs1000d » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:11 pm

Kid is good. Right now he is a nice bench guard. He can shoot, create, plays hard and has a lot of ability. He is a young Van Fleet out there.

Romeo seems to have taken his minutes. We play Kemba/Smart/Brown on the back lord. PP, Romeo, Edwards, Nesmith, Waters get the 4th guard minutes.

PP is the third PG and stevens likes Romeos D. I like Romeo’s D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scoonie
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,787

Post#468 » by Scoonie » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:14 pm

I think his future is as a solid backup point guard (which means he was a great pick in the late 1st round). I still don't think he has the physical talent or athletic ability to be a starting point guard on a good team.
Dogen wrote:Celtics win despite Smart having -1 points for the game.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#469 » by cloverleaf » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:21 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Kid is good. Right now he is a nice bench guard. He can shoot, create, plays hard and has a lot of ability. He is a young Van Fleet out there.

Romeo seems to have taken his minutes. We play Kemba/Smart/Brown on the back lord. PP, Romeo, Edwards, Nesmith, Waters get the 4th guard minutes.

Except Edwards and Waters are really their 7th and 8th, deep, deep bench guards. Nesmith is 6th. PP and RL are indeed juggling 4 and 5 together, though several of these guys can and do see some minutes at the 3.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#470 » by BK_2020 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:24 pm

jfs1000d wrote:Kid is good. Right now he is a nice bench guard. He can shoot, create, plays hard and has a lot of ability. He is a young Van Fleet out there.

FVV is much quicker, shiftier, stronger, and can get his shot off if you give him so much as a sliver of daylight. PP needs 10 feet of open space before he can shoot.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,983

Post#471 » by jfs1000d » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:22 am

BK_2020 wrote:

FVV is much quicker, shiftier, stronger, and can get his shot off if you give him so much as a sliver of daylight. PP needs 10 feet of open space before he can shoot.

Come on. Compare Van Fleet rookie season to PP

Hal14
RealGM

Post#472 » by Hal14 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:54 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
BK_2020 wrote:

Come on. Compare Van Fleet rookie season to PP

Good point. Rookie VanVleet only averaged 3 points a game, only 8 mins a game and only played in 37 games.

Pritchard has been better as a rookie.

I think being the next VanVleet is Pritchard's ceiling. But you have to think, what are the odds of it? Fred VanVleet - while he has turned into a really good, borderline all-star level player...at the same time, VanVleet is a once in a generation type player. Undersized 6'1" shooting guards who can't really jump. How many of them have been really good starter level players over the past 10 years? VanVleet is the only one I can think of off the top of my head.

I think you have to go back as far as Iverson to find a 6'1" or shorter guy who was a really solid SG in this league. And obviously Iverson is way quicker/more explosive/more athletic than VanVleet or Pritchard, like not even close.

So we can hope Pritchard beats the odds and becomes the next VanVleet. Our best bet though is to try and develop him into a pure PG. Can you be an effective rotation level PG in the modern NBA though at only 6'1" and with below average quickness/athleticism/explosiveness and below average defense? I don't know, but that that should be what Pritchard tries to keep working on is his quickness - both in terms of quickly getting the ball up the court in half court, in transition, breaking down his man off the dribble, and quickness on D, and overall defense. If he can do that he's got a chance to be a solid PG in this league..

He already has good maturity, good intangibles like toughness, fearlessness, hustle and very good shooting.

Like I said, VanVleet is a once in a generation type player. Is it realistic to think Pritchard becomes the next VanVleet when there has only been 1 of him in the past 15 years?

I think it would be more realistic for Pritchard to try and be the next Seth Curry. Pritchard is much more comparable to Curry in terms of quickness. Curry is not that quick/explosive/athletic and also not that good on D but has still had a really solid career in this league as a 6th/7th man sharpshooter giving good scoring punch and energy off the bench and even starting this year on a team that could win it all. Curry is 1 inch taller than Pritchard though, that 1 inch does make a big difference when you're an undersized SG.

We'll see..
LoquaciousLarry
Sophomore
And1: 190

Post#473 » by LoquaciousLarry » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:12 pm

Pritchards a decent guard, don't see a ton of upside with him due to his athletic shortcomings and lack of passing instincts/creativity but he's tough, gritty and can shoot. I don't see starter potential in him, but I think he can fill in nicely as a back up at times.

Ideally, he'd be in Carsen Edwards current role on a good playoff team in my opinion.
bbd24
Starter
And1: 954

Post#474 » by bbd24 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:35 pm

I see a starter right now. Easily. Heckuva pick by Ainge. Knockdown shooter, who can create off the dribble, and makes the smart play.

If anything, needs to be more aggressive with his shot and scoring. He’s passing up and defaults to others when he should be the one looking for his shot. Too good of a shooter.
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,906

Post#475 » by Parliament10 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:45 pm

bbd24 wrote:I see a starter right now. Easily. Heckuva pick by Ainge. Knockdown shooter, who can create off the dribble, and makes the smart play.

If anything, needs to be more aggressive with his shot and scoring. He’s passing up and defaults to others when he should be the one looking for his shot. Too good of a shooter.

I see PP as a 6th-Man type. -- He can definitely fill in for a Starter.
As a Rookie, he has a good bit of potential. -- He should feel more comfortable with that shot, as time goes on.
"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,014

Post#476 » by Bad-Thoma » Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:27 pm

Parliament10 wrote:
bbd24 wrote:I see a starter right now. Easily. Heckuva pick by Ainge. Knockdown shooter, who can create off the dribble, and makes the smart play.

I see PP as a 6th-Man type. -- He can definitely fill in for a Starter.
As a Rookie, he has a good bit of potential. -- He should feel more comfortable with that shot, as time goes on.

This is what I see as well, his ceiling could certainly be starter but I think more likely with time he'll be a 25+ minute per game valuable back up ala Smart before he became a starter (though obviously with different strengths) which is great for where he was drafted. I think the FVV comparisons are a little premature, I get where they come from but FVV is a pretty unique player. If he ever hits FVV level and anyone ever starts a "Fire DA" thread afterword I think we'd be justified in authorizing a drone strike on their house.
zoyathedestroya
RealGM
And1: 89,654

Post#477 » by zoyathedestroya » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:06 pm

jpjp
Ballboy
And1: 39

Post#478 » by jpjp » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:43 pm

I would not rule out or praise players until they have completed their rookie contract, i.e. played a minimum of 4-5 seasons.
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Post#479 » by 31to6 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:48 pm

Rozier has some elite physical tools, but I wonder if Pritch can have a greater Celtics career than Scary Terry did. Which would mean phenomenal value from a pick we almost all panned!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#480 » by cloverleaf » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:29 pm

jpjp wrote:I would not rule out or praise players until they have completed their rookie contract, i.e. played a minimum of 4-5 seasons.

No praise for players until they've been in the league at least 5 years?

What a way to go through life!

Return to Boston Celtics