ImageImageImage

2020 NBA Draft Thread #4

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

User avatar
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,535
And1: 1,258
Joined: Sep 22, 2004
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#121 » by Spin Move » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:44 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
Spin Move wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Isaiah Joe is probably a better player than Aaron Nesmith.

I think literally every draft expert had Nesmith ranked higher then Joe, Nesmith was projected as a top 15 pick in the vast majority of professional mocks. I don't get the hate, I can understand some uncertainity, he got injured and put up points vs bad competition but the hate is unfounded if he averaged waht he did between his 2 years he is a 42% 3 point shooter, that is pretty good. He is long, athletic and a gym rat.

I think he got way overdrafted because he had a hot 14 game stretch shooting is all. He is a blackhole offensively and doesn't look like anything special defensively. He's long, but does he do anything defensively? Not really seeing it. I just think it's terrible value from these picks to end up with Nesmith and Pritchard.


I watched probably 2 hours of tape on him, he is really good, its not just the 52% make it 39% and he is still really valuable the way he constantly moves, it opens things up for everyone else on the floor. I really see him being a buddy Hield type with better D and that is not his Ceiling.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 26,340
And1: 13,228
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#122 » by Fencer reregistered » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:47 am

Kenyon Martin Jr. got drafted? I feel old.
Squigglepuffin
Junior
Posts: 394
And1: 262
Joined: Jan 13, 2014

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#123 » by Squigglepuffin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:49 am

I'm not going to hate too much on the Nesmith pick. He could turn out to be a good player, simply because he has an NBA body, good athleticism, and a good wingspan. He has an NBA skill. I don't hate the pick.

BUT...

Payton Prichard??????

Denver got a steal in Nnaji. Toronto got a steal in Jalen Harris. Mavs got a steal in Tyler Bey.

I can't believe GMs get paid millions of dollars and yet are stupid enough to not draft or even buy a late, late second rounder to select Devon Dotson or Nate Hinton.

I was frustrated when the Nuggets selected Nnaji. I was really frustrated when Ainge decided not to pick Tyler Bey at #26. Then I was just livid that at #47 he didn't pick Nate Hinton.

I've never felt more certain that I could do a better job at drafting players than at least two thirds of NBA teams.
User avatar
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,535
And1: 1,258
Joined: Sep 22, 2004
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#124 » by Spin Move » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:56 am

So I don't like the pick of Pritchard at 26, but as a former champion debator and pretty succesful lawyer I am going to defend it:
As fans we want upside, at 26 most players flame out. Danny Ainge see's payton with 2 good needed skills that will translate to the NBA Shooting and passing. Pritchard with his competitiveness and his skill has a solid floor and should be a good backup PG for years to come. All the other PG's available either were bad defenders (Manion), had below average 3 point shots (Dotson) or were not true distributing point guards. Players in the late 20's almost never reach their ceiling so sometimes it is wise to take a player whose floor you trust even though there are guys who have much higher ceilings. He is a hard worker, a proven leader and has shown grit and toughness. Our #1 weakness last year was a lack of bench shooting, he is part of addressing that. He has the tenacity and length to defend NBA point gaurds and is a very smart player.

I do not like the pick, but I understand the logic behind it.
chrisab123
General Manager
Posts: 9,319
And1: 5,635
Joined: Jul 07, 2012
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#125 » by chrisab123 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:02 am

Pritchard was drafted to replace Wanamaker because this organization is afraid to sign a bench player from outside the college program. This way he can learn from Brad and not question a damn thing. Good for the organization.

Who the hell did the Celtics get for Bane?
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,399
And1: 28,119
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#126 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:03 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
Spin Move wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:Isaiah Joe is probably a better player than Aaron Nesmith.

I think literally every draft expert had Nesmith ranked higher then Joe, Nesmith was projected as a top 15 pick in the vast majority of professional mocks. I don't get the hate, I can understand some uncertainity, he got injured and put up points vs bad competition but the hate is unfounded if he averaged waht he did between his 2 years he is a 42% 3 point shooter, that is pretty good. He is long, athletic and a gym rat.

I think he got way overdrafted because he had a hot 14 game stretch shooting is all. He is a blackhole offensively and doesn't look like anything special defensively. He's long, but does he do anything defensively? Not really seeing it. I just think it's terrible value from these picks to end up with Nesmith and Pritchard.


Against one of the weaker non-conference schedules I’ve seen, too.

I can get the theory of Nesmith. 6’6 with a 6’10 wingspan and can stroke the ball. I disagree with the pick but dont hate it.

Pritchard? Just not seeing it with him. I hate that pick.
User avatar
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,535
And1: 1,258
Joined: Sep 22, 2004
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#127 » by Spin Move » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:08 am

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">French F Killian Tillie of Gonzaga is signing a two-way deal with the Memphis Grizzlies, his agent Andy Shiffman of <a href="https://twitter.com/PrioritySports?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@PrioritySports</a> tells ESPN.</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) <a href="
Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 19, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
User avatar
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,535
And1: 1,258
Joined: Sep 22, 2004
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#128 » by Spin Move » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:10 am

chrisab123 wrote:Pritchard was drafted to replace Wanamaker because this organization is afraid to sign a bench player from outside the college program. This way he can learn from Brad and not question a damn thing. Good for the organization.

Who the hell did the Celtics get for Bane?

2 future 2nds who knows who they will be, Ainge didn't want 3 rookies this year, 2nd round picks can be assets at times to make trades happen. I really wanted Oturo there but I understand that we are trying to get under the tax and don't have many roster spots. Langford is a better prospect then Bane, he is not where we were going to go there
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,835
And1: 9,104
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#129 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:11 am

Spin Move wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Spin Move wrote:I think literally every draft expert had Nesmith ranked higher then Joe, Nesmith was projected as a top 15 pick in the vast majority of professional mocks. I don't get the hate, I can understand some uncertainity, he got injured and put up points vs bad competition but the hate is unfounded if he averaged waht he did between his 2 years he is a 42% 3 point shooter, that is pretty good. He is long, athletic and a gym rat.

I think he got way overdrafted because he had a hot 14 game stretch shooting is all. He is a blackhole offensively and doesn't look like anything special defensively. He's long, but does he do anything defensively? Not really seeing it. I just think it's terrible value from these picks to end up with Nesmith and Pritchard.


I watched probably 2 hours of tape on him, he is really good, its not just the 52% make it 39% and he is still really valuable the way he constantly moves, it opens things up for everyone else on the floor. I really see him being a buddy Hield type with better D and that is not his Ceiling.

Hey if he shoots 40% from all over the court on good volume, he's a great player. That's just such a hard thing to do and if shooting is the only thing you do really well, you better **** do it really, really well. If he's only like 36% from 3, that's not good enough to be picked 14 when you provide nothing else offensively.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
chrisab123
General Manager
Posts: 9,319
And1: 5,635
Joined: Jul 07, 2012
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#130 » by chrisab123 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:11 am

Spin Move wrote:
chrisab123 wrote:Pritchard was drafted to replace Wanamaker because this organization is afraid to sign a bench player from outside the college program. This way he can learn from Brad and not question a damn thing. Good for the organization.

Who the hell did the Celtics get for Bane?

2 future 2nds who knows who they will be, Ainge didn't want 3 rookies this year, 2nd round picks can be assets at times to make trades happen. I really wanted Oturo there but I understand that we are trying to get under the tax and don't have many roster spots. Langford is a better prospect then Bane, he is not where we were going to go there


Such a waste.
chrisab123
General Manager
Posts: 9,319
And1: 5,635
Joined: Jul 07, 2012
         

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#131 » by chrisab123 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:16 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Spin Move wrote:I think literally every draft expert had Nesmith ranked higher then Joe, Nesmith was projected as a top 15 pick in the vast majority of professional mocks. I don't get the hate, I can understand some uncertainity, he got injured and put up points vs bad competition but the hate is unfounded if he averaged waht he did between his 2 years he is a 42% 3 point shooter, that is pretty good. He is long, athletic and a gym rat.

I think he got way overdrafted because he had a hot 14 game stretch shooting is all. He is a blackhole offensively and doesn't look like anything special defensively. He's long, but does he do anything defensively? Not really seeing it. I just think it's terrible value from these picks to end up with Nesmith and Pritchard.


Against one of the weaker non-conference schedules I’ve seen, too.

I can get the theory of Nesmith. 6’6 with a 6’10 wingspan and can stroke the ball. I disagree with the pick but dont hate it.

Pritchard? Just not seeing it with him. I hate that pick.


Nesmith was better than Hampton who seemed like he was going to be the pick previously. But this bugs me. You mean to tell me that Ainge couldn't have traded 14 and 30 for 12 and taken Halliburton? Instead you get Nesmith and 2 future 2nds that you'll never see.

Ainge was scared to make a tough trade and went the safe route. Is what it is. We should be used to it by now. Hes always all talk on draft night. I guess they view what they currently have in the program better than bringing than bringing in an outsider.
dlamb8888888
Sophomore
Posts: 120
And1: 86
Joined: Feb 26, 2014

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#132 » by dlamb8888888 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:25 am

return2glory wrote:ESPN has bad coverage. You don’t need to interview every player. Show more highlights and analyst of the players being selected.


Personally, I liked the player interviews. Seeing what some of these kids have gone through to make it to the NBA is amazing. Inspiring.
SeattleMack
Ballboy
Posts: 40
And1: 41
Joined: Aug 27, 2013

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#133 » by SeattleMack » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:28 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:
Spin Move wrote:I think literally every draft expert had Nesmith ranked higher then Joe, Nesmith was projected as a top 15 pick in the vast majority of professional mocks. I don't get the hate, I can understand some uncertainity, he got injured and put up points vs bad competition but the hate is unfounded if he averaged waht he did between his 2 years he is a 42% 3 point shooter, that is pretty good. He is long, athletic and a gym rat.

I think he got way overdrafted because he had a hot 14 game stretch shooting is all. He is a blackhole offensively and doesn't look like anything special defensively. He's long, but does he do anything defensively? Not really seeing it. I just think it's terrible value from these picks to end up with Nesmith and Pritchard.


Against one of the weaker non-conference schedules I’ve seen, too.

I can get the theory of Nesmith. 6’6 with a 6’10 wingspan and can stroke the ball. I disagree with the pick but dont hate it.

Pritchard? Just not seeing it with him. I hate that pick.



14 games is not a "hot streak". That is a skill-set. You can go on a 2,3 or even 4 game hot streak in hoops, but not 14. He also is not a black hole. The offense was designed around him and he had a very good pg that did all of the distribution. He made over 4 3's a game and he was usually shooting well behind the line. Hard worker, smart kid, NBA ready body. The C's got themselves a solid pick at 14.
User avatar
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,535
And1: 1,258
Joined: Sep 22, 2004
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#134 » by Spin Move » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:28 am

chrisab123 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:I think he got way overdrafted because he had a hot 14 game stretch shooting is all. He is a blackhole offensively and doesn't look like anything special defensively. He's long, but does he do anything defensively? Not really seeing it. I just think it's terrible value from these picks to end up with Nesmith and Pritchard.


Against one of the weaker non-conference schedules I’ve seen, too.

I can get the theory of Nesmith. 6’6 with a 6’10 wingspan and can stroke the ball. I disagree with the pick but dont hate it.

Pritchard? Just not seeing it with him. I hate that pick.


Nesmith was better than Hampton who seemed like he was going to be the pick previously. But this bugs me. You mean to tell me that Ainge couldn't have traded 14 and 30 for 12 and taken Halliburton? Instead you get Nesmith and 2 future 2nds that you'll never see.

Ainge was scared to make a tough trade and went the safe route. Is what it is. We should be used to it by now. Hes always all talk on draft night. I guess they view what they currently have in the program better than bringing than bringing in an outsider.

If your sacramento and you have a chance at Haliburton are you giving it up for 30...I don't think so.
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,835
And1: 9,104
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#135 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:30 am

SeattleMack wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:I think he got way overdrafted because he had a hot 14 game stretch shooting is all. He is a blackhole offensively and doesn't look like anything special defensively. He's long, but does he do anything defensively? Not really seeing it. I just think it's terrible value from these picks to end up with Nesmith and Pritchard.


Against one of the weaker non-conference schedules I’ve seen, too.

I can get the theory of Nesmith. 6’6 with a 6’10 wingspan and can stroke the ball. I disagree with the pick but dont hate it.

Pritchard? Just not seeing it with him. I hate that pick.



14 games is not a "hot streak". That is a skill-set. You can go on a 2,3 or even 4 game hot streak in hoops, but not 14. He also is not a black hole. The offense was designed around him and he had a very good pg that did all of the distribution. He made over 4 3's a game and he was usually shooting well behind the line. Hard worker, smart kid, NBA ready body. The C's got themselves a solid pick at 14.

He showed zero ability to make a play for anyone else, that's what I mean by blackhole. Ball enters his hands, it doesn't leave it unless it's a turnover or a shot. Fine, if he shoots 40% that's great. His shot looks good. Can he get to the rim or beat anyone off the dribble? He's long and tall, but doesn't impress me with his athleticism. People want the next Duncan Robinson, but if Duncan Robinson only shot 40% from 3 he wouldn't even be in the league. Hope I'm wrong.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
BostonCouchGM
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,268
And1: 825
Joined: Jun 07, 2018

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#136 » by BostonCouchGM » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:30 am

as predicted, because of Danny's hubris, he couldn't use the #30 and #47 picks on players because they would 100% have been better than what he drafted last year and he would never admit he was wrong about them. So instead of a 3/4 who would have been a major upgrade over Williams (Woodard or Bey) they get two future 2nd rounders we'll likely never see. Instead of getting Mane, Reed, or Stanley at #47 he takes a draft and stash because any one of those players is a major upgrade over Edwards and Waters.

Nesmith pick gets an A. If Hayward leaves he could start at the 2 with Jaylen moving to the 3, his more natural position anyway
Pritchard pick gets an A. He's our PG of the future and will play a major role immediately. Hopefully Danny can trade Kemba
F for the rest of the night
themoneyteam2
Analyst
Posts: 3,744
And1: 5,986
Joined: Oct 19, 2019
   

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#137 » by themoneyteam2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:38 am

Bleeding Green wrote:
SeattleMack wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Against one of the weaker non-conference schedules I’ve seen, too.

I can get the theory of Nesmith. 6’6 with a 6’10 wingspan and can stroke the ball. I disagree with the pick but dont hate it.

Pritchard? Just not seeing it with him. I hate that pick.



14 games is not a "hot streak". That is a skill-set. You can go on a 2,3 or even 4 game hot streak in hoops, but not 14. He also is not a black hole. The offense was designed around him and he had a very good pg that did all of the distribution. He made over 4 3's a game and he was usually shooting well behind the line. Hard worker, smart kid, NBA ready body. The C's got themselves a solid pick at 14.

He showed zero ability to make a play for anyone else, that's what I mean by blackhole. Ball enters his hands, it doesn't leave it unless it's a turnover or a shot. Fine, if he shoots 40% that's great. His shot looks good. Can he get to the rim or beat anyone off the dribble? He's long and tall, but doesn't impress me with his athleticism. People want the next Duncan Robinson, but if Duncan Robinson only shot 40% from 3 he wouldn't even be in the league. Hope I'm wrong.


Duncan shot 39.7% 3PT in the playoffs. So by your logic, he shouldn’t have even been playable right?
User avatar
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 20,835
And1: 9,104
Joined: Feb 28, 2005
Location: Atlantic Champs OMG OMG OMG!

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#138 » by Bleeding Green » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:41 am

That's fair. Good point.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
User avatar
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,535
And1: 1,258
Joined: Sep 22, 2004
     

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#139 » by Spin Move » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:43 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:as predicted, because of Danny's hubris, he couldn't use the #30 and #47 picks on players because they would 100% have been better than what he drafted last year and he would never admit he was wrong about them. So instead of a 3/4 who would have been a major upgrade over Williams (Woodard or Bey) they get two future 2nd rounders we'll likely never see. Instead of getting Mane, Reed, or Stanley at #47 he takes a draft and stash because any one of those players is a major upgrade over Edwards and Waters.

Nesmith pick gets an A. If Hayward leaves he could start at the 2 with Jaylen moving to the 3, his more natural position anyway
Pritchard pick gets an A. He's our PG of the future and will play a major role immediately. Hopefully Danny can trade Kemba
F for the rest of the night



I don't know if I have ever this stronly agreed and disagreed with different parts of the same post soo much, I think Nesmith is an A, Pritchard a C at best and the "Hubris" is basic math regarding both the salary cap and roster spots. Langford has potential we were not drafting anyone at 26 or 30 with more realistic potential then him. Edwards and waters I don't care about but it appears danny is trying to avoid the tax.

Danny probably should not be trying to trade Kemba especially not until he proves he is healthy.

Like 1/4th of this post is really smart...I am very confused by the rest of it.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,399
And1: 28,119
Joined: Dec 29, 2014

Re: 2020 NBA Draft Thread #4 

Post#140 » by SmartWentCrazy » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:44 am

SeattleMack wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Bleeding Green wrote:I think he got way overdrafted because he had a hot 14 game stretch shooting is all. He is a blackhole offensively and doesn't look like anything special defensively. He's long, but does he do anything defensively? Not really seeing it. I just think it's terrible value from these picks to end up with Nesmith and Pritchard.


Against one of the weaker non-conference schedules I’ve seen, too.

I can get the theory of Nesmith. 6’6 with a 6’10 wingspan and can stroke the ball. I disagree with the pick but dont hate it.

Pritchard? Just not seeing it with him. I hate that pick.



14 games is not a "hot streak". That is a skill-set. You can go on a 2,3 or even 4 game hot streak in hoops, but not 14. He also is not a black hole. The offense was designed around him and he had a very good pg that did all of the distribution. He made over 4 3's a game and he was usually shooting well behind the line. Hard worker, smart kid, NBA ready body. The C's got themselves a solid pick at 14.


No, 3 point shooting is incredibly noisy. So much so that people use FT% as a better predictor of future shooting ability.

Marcus Smart has multiple 14 game stretches over his career where he shot mid 40’s from 3. It was a hot streak. You can repeat this exercise with almost everyone.

Nesmith is a good shooter. Hopefully 40%+ at the next level. But he was on a heater man.

With respect to being a black hole, he had 13 assists in 14 games despite having an offense built around him. Thats really bad. Sorry, theres no way to sugar coat it.

Again, i disagree with the pick but understand it and dont hate it.

Return to Boston Celtics