ImageImageImage

Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Re: Welcome to Virtual Boston, Yam Madar! 

Post#401 » by cloverleaf » Tue Aug 3, 2021 11:04 pm

Hal14 wrote:
Parliament10 wrote:

You have to like the confidence and swagger. Obviously it's not his choice. It's not up to him whether he plays for the Celtics or not this season. He has to actually make the team - Udoka has to decide to include him on the roster. But Madar believes in himself and he is approaching this like he is going to make the team. In sales you call that "assume the sale"..

It's more Brad than Udoka with the decision, but as coaches say, its how players play that decides who gets time in games.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#402 » by cloverleaf » Tue Aug 3, 2021 11:52 pm

Long arms and quick hands?

Read on Twitter
lon3lytoaster
Head Coach
And1: 5,585

Post#403 » by lon3lytoaster » Wed Aug 4, 2021 12:50 am

cloverleaf wrote:Long arms and quick hands?

Read on Twitter

Not sure if Fast PP is subtly throwing shade or just has no idea who Yam is :lol:

Very ready for Pritch to look like Nash in summer league. I’d say he very well could end up starting for this team at some point in the season while I show Yam around Portland. Hope he likes lobster.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,934

Post#404 » by SuperDeluxe » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:44 am

Hal14 wrote:You have to like the confidence and swagger.

Yes, that showed in a couple of the first few videos shared in this thread. Plus, I'm sure he's tough as nails, especially after the training he must have received in the Israeli army.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#405 » by FlatearthZorro » Wed Aug 4, 2021 6:32 am

Let's go, Space Yam! Show em what you got.

Imo, he makes the roster!
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#406 » by ParticleMan » Wed Aug 4, 2021 10:50 am

I'm pretty sure he makes the roster unless we bring in another quality pg. Smart/PP/Yam will be our PG rotation. I think this can be pretty good, if Ime can rein in Smart.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#407 » by cloverleaf » Wed Aug 4, 2021 11:24 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:Let's go, Space Yam! Show em what you got.

Imo, he makes the roster!

Space Yam? I think the pronunciation trips you up there.

Then again, after Scary Terry, even if he becomes great at the 3, I doubt we're going with the Yam Scare.

What will be his calling card? Steals from the Yam Stripper? Fast passes from the Yam Zipper? Leading the team as the Yam Kipper?
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,858

Post#408 » by 24istheLAW » Wed Aug 4, 2021 1:16 pm

Not convinced he can shoot.

He's got one season of good 3P%. Form doesn't look great. NBA three is longer, an adjustment that'd be more difficult for him because of his form not being great. And his 3PA appear to be mostly off-the-dribble, rather than catch-and-shoot which is what his NBA diet would consist of. I'll be pleasantly surprised if this guy is ever an NBA player.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#409 » by cloverleaf » Wed Aug 4, 2021 2:03 pm

24istheLAW wrote:Not convinced he can shoot.

He's got one season of good 3P%. Form doesn't look great. NBA three is longer, an adjustment that'd be more difficult for him because of his form not being great. And his 3PA appear to be mostly off-the-dribble, rather than catch-and-shoot which is what his NBA diet would consist of. I'll be pleasantly surprised if this guy is ever an NBA player.

Sure, he's still got some work to do, but that was his one biggest weakness last year and he came a long way. Less than a 3rd of Kemba's 3PTAs last year were on C&S and Yam will be misused if they just try to make a C&S corner 3pt chucker out of him. He's 20yo and I'd be surprised if, with his other skills and work ethic, he doesn't become an NBA player.
Matt5
Junior
And1: 300

Post#410 » by Matt5 » Wed Aug 4, 2021 8:30 pm

24istheLAW wrote:Not convinced he can shoot.

I have the same concern. Hope he answers our questions with his play in summer league. We'll find out if we are Yamming or. Otherwise, his plans on playing for us this year could be all “Yammed Up”!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He said "I don't know man, ah she kinda funny, you know"
I said "I know, everybody funny, now you funny too"!
Larry_Russell
General Manager
And1: 4,864

Post#411 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Aug 5, 2021 4:52 pm

For those doubting Yams shooting.

Kid has put in tremendous work

VeryMuchWoke
Head Coach
And1: 7,509

Post#412 » by VeryMuchWoke » Thu Aug 5, 2021 6:19 pm

Larry_Russell wrote:For those doubting Yams shooting.

I think 72% is pretty mediocre for a guard unguarded in practice. I remember someone, I think Morey, talking about what % bigs should be making in practice before they start taking them in games and I think it was 7/10 or so.

Regardless, I'm pretty excited to see what Yam can do and he's definitely improved a ton. If he keeps it up he'll be a solid NBA player.
"Danny Ainge needs to shut the **** up and manage his own team. He was the biggest whiner when he was playing, and I know that because I coached against him."
Pat Riley
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#413 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 6:29 pm

VeryMuchWoke wrote:

I think 72% is pretty mediocre for a guard unguarded in practice. I remember someone, I think Morey, talking about what % bigs should be making in practice before they start taking them in games and I think it was 7/10 or so.

Regardless, I'm pretty excited to see what Yam can do and he's definitely improved a ton. If he keeps it up he'll be a solid NBA player.

53/69 is actually 76.8%, not 72%.

I read someone say that the % you shoot in an empty gym, you cut that in half to get an idea of what they might shoot in games.

1/2 of 76.8% is 38.4%, which is well over the NBA league average for 3 point shooting of 36%. So definitely not "mediocre" as you say.

Also, that video was dated November 2020, which was before he got drafted and before this past season in Israel when he improved his 3 point shooting from 26% to 41%.
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#414 » by cloverleaf » Thu Aug 5, 2021 6:34 pm

Hal14 wrote:
VeryMuchWoke wrote:

I read someone say that the % you shoot in an empty gym, you cut that in half to get an idea of what they might shoot in games.

1/2 of 76.8% is 38.4%, which is well over the NBA league average for 3 point shooting of 36%. So definitely not "mediocre" as you say.

Also, that video was dated November 2020, which was before he got drafted and before this past season in Israel when he improved his 3 point shooting from 26% to 41%.

But he went 63/87. And that looks like an international court, so not an NBA 3 distance.
Larry_Russell
General Manager

Post#415 » by Larry_Russell » Thu Aug 5, 2021 6:40 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
VeryMuchWoke wrote:

But he went 63/87.

yes, but it needs to be noted that
1) this was in a 5 minute period
2) open gym after an unknown period of time doing other things
3) was a year ago.
4) that was NBA range

He has worked on his shooting a lot this past year. Little Ainge has stated that everything the Celtics wanted him to work on he shows huge improvement in

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/7/28/22598230/yam-madar-improved-in-every-area-boston-celtics-wanted-him-to-this-season-nba-summer-league

Also, in that first video, pull ups from Curry range.....hard to fake that. (about the 45 second mark)
Hal14
RealGM
And1: 17,156

Post#416 » by Hal14 » Thu Aug 5, 2021 6:41 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Hal14 wrote:
VeryMuchWoke wrote:

But he went 63/87. And that looks like an international court, so not an NBA 3 distance.

oh I stand corrected. i didn't watch the entire video. the thumbnail image for the video it says 53/69. so I was just using that.

well, 72.4% is still good, you divide that in half, you get 36.2% which is NBA league average. And again, the video was posted early november of 2020, before the draft and before his big improvement in 3 point shooting this past season in Israel..
1/11/24 The birth of a new Hal. From now on being less combative, avoiding confrontation - like Switzerland :)
Garbanzo
Junior
And1: 398

Post#417 » by Garbanzo » Fri Aug 6, 2021 5:43 am

That shooting drill is not NBA range
Anyway I don't know about players shooting 70% in practice before they start making them in games.. I assume it's 50% for bigs and 60% for guards.
I'm not saying 60% in practice is good for a guard or 50% is good for a big, I'm saying that's the threshold for a competent 3 point shooter.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#418 » by cloverleaf » Fri Aug 6, 2021 10:42 am

Larry_Russell wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
Hal14 wrote:53/69 is actually 76.8%, not 72%.

But he went 63/87.

3) was a year ago.
4) that was NBA range

He has worked on his shooting a lot this past year. Little Ainge has stated that everything the Celtics wanted him to work on he shows huge improvement in

https://www.celticsblog.com/2021/7/28/22598230/yam-madar-improved-in-every-area-boston-celtics-wanted-him-to-this-season-nba-summer-league

Also, in that first video, pull ups from Curry range.....hard to fake that. (about the 45 second mark)

Why do you say that was NBA range? Or that it was he had been doing other things beforehand? And it was 9 months ago.

I've been boosting Yam on this board for months, but don't see why things should be mis- or overstated. This drill is regularly done at the combine when there is real pressure on. Yam could have done this drill with his trainer for a couple of weeks, with this the best result--we just don't know.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#419 » by ParticleMan » Fri Aug 6, 2021 11:37 am

He has good form and seems competent. I think adding an extra foot on the distance is not the big issue. The question is how well does he do in terms of conditioning and focus in a real game setting. I am more impressed by his 40% shooting for the season than that video. And I like that he's 6-3, you worry about guys who can shoot but are short so they get thrown off more (cough*carsen*cough).

Anyways, he seems to have the tools to be a good shooter. That is a necessary but not sufficient condition. But it's a good start.
Larry_Russell
General Manager

Post#420 » by Larry_Russell » Fri Aug 6, 2021 12:22 pm

cloverleaf wrote:
Larry_Russell wrote:
cloverleaf wrote:
But he went 63/87.

3) was a year ago.
4) that was NBA range

Why do you say that was NBA range? Or that it was he had been doing other things beforehand? And it was 9 months ago.

I've been boosting Yam on this board for months, but don't see why things should be mis- or overstated. This drill is regularly done at the combine when there is real pressure on. Yam could have done this drill with his trainer for a couple of weeks, with this the best result--we just don't know.

Nothing in his history has shown that this is potentially faked.
And thought I read a translated report somewhere that Yam has been doing this after his workouts for some time looking to improve his range and stamina at shooting. So I am assuming here with what I stated, but it was based of things I heard, albeit second hand translated.

And it is also very hard to dispute the evidence of his shooting this past season and the season prior. Results speak.

Since 2018-2019 his shooting numbers

FG%
42%
44%
47%

ft%
71%
80%
83%

3pt%
24%
28%
41%

And the 3pt% was on 132 attempts as well. Not a small sample size at all. 4.5 attempts per game

Those marks were only hit by 37 guys in the nba last season. That is some pretty rarified air. (30 games or more, 4.4 attempts or more, 40% or more from 3)

His confidence is higher, his range is better, his form is better. You can tell he has put huge amounts of work in.

Return to Boston Celtics