ImageImageImage

Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go

Moderators: sully00, djFan71, ParticleMan, Froob, canman1971, The Comedian, Parliament10

User avatar
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,535
And1: 1,258
Joined: Sep 22, 2004
     

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#121 » by Spin Move » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:33 am

The fire danny thing is over reactionary and silly, we can't control haywards decisions. He had aweful luck in boston. The only thing I don't like is moving for 30 there weer so many decent center prospects but I guess with TT and Thies all 48 minutes are accounted for there. You don't get to win every offseason. Quite frankly LA is much better then they were last year, they are probably going to win the title barring an AD injury. We need to have guys improve internally. That is a big ask but if Tatum Brown Smart keep growing and Langford and Nesmith are hits we are in good shape for in a year or two. We are way ahead of schedule, we will eventually need a better big but all of this crying is silly. We are in a better spot then all but maybe 5 teams in the NBA. Lets see how things go, I think we can win the east Mil and Philly will be better, but that doesnt mean we can't beat them. I have a feeling Miami takes a step back this year, we still have enough to make a run. Buckle up boys its gonna be a ride.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 37,616
And1: 15,682
Joined: Jun 26, 2003
Location: Big 3 will crush the east!
     

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#122 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:26 am

Spin Move wrote:The fire danny thing is over reactionary and silly, we can't control haywards decisions. He had aweful luck in boston. The only thing I don't like is moving for 30 there weer so many decent center prospects but I guess with TT and Thies all 48 minutes are accounted for there. You don't get to win every offseason. Quite frankly LA is much better then they were last year, they are probably going to win the title barring an AD injury. We need to have guys improve internally. That is a big ask but if Tatum Brown Smart keep growing and Langford and Nesmith are hits we are in good shape for in a year or two. We are way ahead of schedule, we will eventually need a better big but all of this crying is silly. We are in a better spot then all but maybe 5 teams in the NBA. Lets see how things go, I think we can win the east Mil and Philly will be better, but that doesnt mean we can't beat them. I have a feeling Miami takes a step back this year, we still have enough to make a run. Buckle up boys its gonna be a ride.
I don't think we are ready to be real contenders, but lbj is a year older will have very little rest time and those good "spas" in miami. Season ending injury and it's wide open again.

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
User avatar
ParticleMan
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
Posts: 14,063
And1: 6,306
Joined: Sep 16, 2004
     

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#123 » by ParticleMan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:40 am

The thing that Ainge has done terribly is keep his main guys healthy at key times. Not really his fault. Well, that and not making Boston a "destination" like LA or Miami.

Everything else he's done very well. Not perfect by any means but his mistakes have not been franchise crippling, and are far outweighed by good moves. I think he's done a top-3 job in the NBA given the hand he's been dealt.
BostonCouchGM
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,261
And1: 821
Joined: Jun 07, 2018

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#124 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:26 am

he's objectively a bad decision maker on draft day. Whether that means taking the wrong player or trading away picks while someone better than what is currently on our bench, has fallen to us, it's all the same. If he'd hand over those duties to someone else then I'd be happy for him to stay in perpetuity because he's one of the best with trades in the history of the NBA and I like the guy and his personality minus the hubris around his drafting and draft picks. It sounds odd because I literally would have chosen the exact two players he took at #14 and #26 and was defending him against the rage mob during the draft, especially Pritchard, but I also had really high grades on guys that were still available at #30 and #47 so feel like trading #30 and missing on #47 are egregious.

And the "well, you can't win them all" b.s. argument I hear from his defender is nauseating because we're literally passing on potential starters if not stars seemingly every draft. I don't care that other G.M.s are bad as well. If a 6'9" Bazley who can dribble up the floor without looking down at the ball, initiate sets in the offense, defend, and scores on all three levels, falls to you, you take him because there's a good chance you're going to lose Hayward the following season and by then he's ready to take on many of those minutes and replace some or much of that production. They're very similar players and talents. The need was there and the almost exact physical profile/athleticism/skill set clone was there for the taking.

And if in the 2nd round, a lottery talent like Bol has miraculously fallen to you, you take him because none of the bigs currently on the roster were above average, long term starters on the same timeline as the Jays. It's inexcusable to take a 6'SG in Edwards over him. An improved bench might have been the difference between winning or losing against Miami. A little more size, a play here or there. So yes, my laughable stalker it literally might have cost us a chance to go to the Finals and if you can't see that you're not worth responding too beyond being an unfunny troll with bad opinions.

So on record, if we had drafted three of Sekou, Bazley, Clarke, Samanic or Bol instead of three guys we barely got anything out of (Langford, Clarke, Bol) we likely get to the Finals and also have guys with much higher upsides that who we ended up getting. Guys with the requisite or better size and length for their positions instead of undersized PF and SG. And yes, I and others were calling for this on draft night contrary to the hot take cries of "mOnDaY moRniNg Qb" from Danny apologists. Late 1st and 2nd DO make a difference. We already should regret passing on those guys. And it'll be more evident as they get more playing time and I'll be here "trolling" to remind you because you are relentless defending Danny's drafting and this board needs a counterpoint. And I'll be here to remind you how stupid it was to pass on Woodard, Bey, Reed, etc. this draft. Not AFTER they end up good, BEFORE, like I did last year.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
Posts: 26,333
And1: 13,221
Joined: Oct 25, 2006

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#125 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:25 am

BostonCouchGM wrote:
So on record, if we had drafted three of Sekou, Bazley, Clarke, Samanic or Bol instead of three guys we barely got anything out of (Langford, Clarke, Bol) we likely get to the Finals and also have guys with much higher upsides that who we ended up getting. Guys with the requisite or better size and length for their positions instead of undersized PF and SG. And yes, I and others were calling for this on draft night contrary to the hot take cries of "mOnDaY moRniNg Qb" from Danny apologists. Late 1st and 2nd DO make a difference. We already should regret passing on those guys. And it'll be more evident as they get more playing time and I'll be here "trolling" to remind you because you are relentless defending Danny's drafting and this board needs a counterpoint. And I'll be here to remind you how stupid it was to pass on Woodard, Bey, Reed, etc. this draft. Not AFTER they end up good, BEFORE, like I did last year.


Is it your view that Bol would have played for us a lot more than he played for Denver? Or do you think his 87 regular season minutes and 21 playoff minutes (including garbage time) would have been a difference maker on their own?
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 37,616
And1: 15,682
Joined: Jun 26, 2003
Location: Big 3 will crush the east!
     

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#126 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:28 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
So on record, if we had drafted three of Sekou, Bazley, Clarke, Samanic or Bol instead of three guys we barely got anything out of (Langford, Clarke, Bol) we likely get to the Finals and also have guys with much higher upsides that who we ended up getting. Guys with the requisite or better size and length for their positions instead of undersized PF and SG. And yes, I and others were calling for this on draft night contrary to the hot take cries of "mOnDaY moRniNg Qb" from Danny apologists. Late 1st and 2nd DO make a difference. We already should regret passing on those guys. And it'll be more evident as they get more playing time and I'll be here "trolling" to remind you because you are relentless defending Danny's drafting and this board needs a counterpoint. And I'll be here to remind you how stupid it was to pass on Woodard, Bey, Reed, etc. this draft. Not AFTER they end up good, BEFORE, like I did last year.


Is it your view that Bol would have played for us a lot more than he played for Denver? Or do you think his 87 regular season minutes and 21 playoff minutes (including garbage time) would have been a difference maker on their own?
Either way I'm not reading that wall of text. I left college twenty years ago. No more essays.

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
akidlittle
Ballboy
Posts: 22
And1: 20
Joined: Sep 10, 2020
     

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#127 » by akidlittle » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:03 pm

Some are reacting like Danny traded Tatum and 3 1st rounders for Nerlens Noel lol
User avatar
BigTrade92
General Manager
Posts: 8,150
And1: 8,924
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
       

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#128 » by BigTrade92 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:21 pm

akidlittle wrote:Some are reacting like Danny traded Tatum and 3 1st rounders for Nerlens Noel lol

He lost out on a 24 year old All Star-caliber Center for a guy who didn’t want to be here anymore, all because he got greedy and overplayed his hand.

The Celtics were the laughingstock of the sports world yesterday all due to Danny’s stupidity.

No matter how big of an Ainge fan one may be, that type of blunder is indefensible no matter which way you slice it.
User avatar
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 9,535
And1: 1,258
Joined: Sep 22, 2004
     

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#129 » by Spin Move » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:36 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:he's objectively a bad decision maker on draft day. Whether that means taking the wrong player or trading away picks while someone better than what is currently on our bench, has fallen to us, it's all the same. If he'd hand over those duties to someone else then I'd be happy for him to stay in perpetuity because he's one of the best with trades in the history of the NBA and I like the guy and his personality minus the hubris around his drafting and draft picks. It sounds odd because I literally would have chosen the exact two players he took at #14 and #26 and was defending him against the rage mob during the draft, especially Pritchard, but I also had really high grades on guys that were still available at #30 and #47 so feel like trading #30 and missing on #47 are egregious.

And the "well, you can't win them all" b.s. argument I hear from his defender is nauseating because we're literally passing on potential starters if not stars seemingly every draft. I don't care that other G.M.s are bad as well. If a 6'9" Bazley who can dribble up the floor without looking down at the ball, initiate sets in the offense, defend, and scores on all three levels, falls to you, you take him because there's a good chance you're going to lose Hayward the following season and by then he's ready to take on many of those minutes and replace some or much of that production. They're very similar players and talents. The need was there and the almost exact physical profile/athleticism/skill set clone was there for the taking.

And if in the 2nd round, a lottery talent like Bol has miraculously fallen to you, you take him because none of the bigs currently on the roster were above average, long term starters on the same timeline as the Jays. It's inexcusable to take a 6'SG in Edwards over him. An improved bench might have been the difference between winning or losing against Miami. A little more size, a play here or there. So yes, my laughable stalker it literally might have cost us a chance to go to the Finals and if you can't see that you're not worth responding too beyond being an unfunny troll with bad opinions.

So on record, if we had drafted three of Sekou, Bazley, Clarke, Samanic or Bol instead of three guys we barely got anything out of (Langford, Clarke, Bol) we likely get to the Finals and also have guys with much higher upsides that who we ended up getting. Guys with the requisite or better size and length for their positions instead of undersized PF and SG. And yes, I and others were calling for this on draft night contrary to the hot take cries of "mOnDaY moRniNg Qb" from Danny apologists. Late 1st and 2nd DO make a difference. We already should regret passing on those guys. And it'll be more evident as they get more playing time and I'll be here "trolling" to remind you because you are relentless defending Danny's drafting and this board needs a counterpoint. And I'll be here to remind you how stupid it was to pass on Woodard, Bey, Reed, etc. this draft. Not AFTER they end up good, BEFORE, like I did last year.

This is a weak take. We don't know what we have yet in Langford and None of the guys you mentioned outside of clarke has shown much. Danny has had far more draft hits then misses drafting before 25, Yabu was a miss but Smart, Tatum, Brown, Bradley were all hits for their spots. Literally every team passed on Bol, that should tell you something players with his frame almot never succeed. Danny has been a good drafter throughout his career. Al Jefferson, Rondo, Perk, Gerald Green all had good carers. All gm;s hit and miss, Danny has had fewer misses then most.
GoGreen
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,320
And1: 1,527
Joined: Jul 19, 2017
 

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#130 » by GoGreen » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:38 pm

I'm already seeing the spin take effect.

"But Charlotte gave Hayward all that money! Not Danny's fault!"

What this leaves out is that everyone and their mom were reporting Hayward wanted to go to Indiana, and Turner was the trade back. This deal was right there on the table from day 1 and Ainge wanted to milk it. Charlotte swooped in and got it done last minute.

Unacceptable. This is something that not only damages relations with other GMs, but also makes a team worse, all for what? Wanting to win a trade by a mile? A bad look.
BostonCouchGM
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,261
And1: 821
Joined: Jun 07, 2018

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#131 » by BostonCouchGM » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:58 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:
So on record, if we had drafted three of Sekou, Bazley, Clarke, Samanic or Bol instead of three guys we barely got anything out of (Langford, Clarke, Bol) we likely get to the Finals and also have guys with much higher upsides that who we ended up getting. Guys with the requisite or better size and length for their positions instead of undersized PF and SG. And yes, I and others were calling for this on draft night contrary to the hot take cries of "mOnDaY moRniNg Qb" from Danny apologists. Late 1st and 2nd DO make a difference. We already should regret passing on those guys. And it'll be more evident as they get more playing time and I'll be here "trolling" to remind you because you are relentless defending Danny's drafting and this board needs a counterpoint. And I'll be here to remind you how stupid it was to pass on Woodard, Bey, Reed, etc. this draft. Not AFTER they end up good, BEFORE, like I did last year.


Is it your view that Bol would have played for us a lot more than he played for Denver? Or do you think his 87 regular season minutes and 21 playoff minutes (including garbage time) would have been a difference maker on their own?


I spelled it out pretty succinctly above. Bazley in particular was playing 25-30 mpg in the bubble leading up the playoffs. He was providing valuable minutes and giving starters rest then and into the playoffs. We were absolutely gassed because of Hayward's injury. Being able to turn to Bazley would have made a huge difference and might have been enough to get past the Heat. We lost three games by a combined 11 points. A little more rest, a little more production from our bench, especially from players with size/length/athleticism instead of what we had could have made a difference. If we could have turned to Clarke or Sekou instead, maybe then Theis' foul trouble isn't as egregious. Maybe Theis doesn't foul out twice and be limited in the other game with 5. Maybe he's fresher and better. Maybe Tatum isn't so gassed that he shoots 30% from three in the MIA series? It couldn't have been worse than not getting anything from our three draft picks. Bol in a vacuum doesn't move the needle but it was never suggested that it would. I'd rather have Bol and his upside than the 5'11" Edwards. That's my contention. The horror!!!
BK_2020
Rookie
Posts: 1,067
And1: 869
Joined: Sep 08, 2020
   

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#132 » by BK_2020 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:59 pm

BigTrade92 wrote:
akidlittle wrote:Some are reacting like Danny traded Tatum and 3 1st rounders for Nerlens Noel lol

He lost out on a 24 year old All Star-caliber Center for a guy who didn’t want to be here anymore, all because he got greedy and overplayed his hand.

The Celtics were the laughingstock of the sports world yesterday all due to Danny’s stupidity.

No matter how big of an Ainge fan one may be, that type of blunder is indefensible no matter which way you slice it.

When has Turner even sniffed an All star game lmao
BostonCouchGM
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,261
And1: 821
Joined: Jun 07, 2018

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#133 » by BostonCouchGM » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:00 am

Spin Move wrote:
BostonCouchGM wrote:he's objectively a bad decision maker on draft day. Whether that means taking the wrong player or trading away picks while someone better than what is currently on our bench, has fallen to us, it's all the same. If he'd hand over those duties to someone else then I'd be happy for him to stay in perpetuity because he's one of the best with trades in the history of the NBA and I like the guy and his personality minus the hubris around his drafting and draft picks. It sounds odd because I literally would have chosen the exact two players he took at #14 and #26 and was defending him against the rage mob during the draft, especially Pritchard, but I also had really high grades on guys that were still available at #30 and #47 so feel like trading #30 and missing on #47 are egregious.

And the "well, you can't win them all" b.s. argument I hear from his defender is nauseating because we're literally passing on potential starters if not stars seemingly every draft. I don't care that other G.M.s are bad as well. If a 6'9" Bazley who can dribble up the floor without looking down at the ball, initiate sets in the offense, defend, and scores on all three levels, falls to you, you take him because there's a good chance you're going to lose Hayward the following season and by then he's ready to take on many of those minutes and replace some or much of that production. They're very similar players and talents. The need was there and the almost exact physical profile/athleticism/skill set clone was there for the taking.

And if in the 2nd round, a lottery talent like Bol has miraculously fallen to you, you take him because none of the bigs currently on the roster were above average, long term starters on the same timeline as the Jays. It's inexcusable to take a 6'SG in Edwards over him. An improved bench might have been the difference between winning or losing against Miami. A little more size, a play here or there. So yes, my laughable stalker it literally might have cost us a chance to go to the Finals and if you can't see that you're not worth responding too beyond being an unfunny troll with bad opinions.

So on record, if we had drafted three of Sekou, Bazley, Clarke, Samanic or Bol instead of three guys we barely got anything out of (Langford, Clarke, Bol) we likely get to the Finals and also have guys with much higher upsides that who we ended up getting. Guys with the requisite or better size and length for their positions instead of undersized PF and SG. And yes, I and others were calling for this on draft night contrary to the hot take cries of "mOnDaY moRniNg Qb" from Danny apologists. Late 1st and 2nd DO make a difference. We already should regret passing on those guys. And it'll be more evident as they get more playing time and I'll be here "trolling" to remind you because you are relentless defending Danny's drafting and this board needs a counterpoint. And I'll be here to remind you how stupid it was to pass on Woodard, Bey, Reed, etc. this draft. Not AFTER they end up good, BEFORE, like I did last year.

This is a weak take. We don't know what we have yet in Langford and None of the guys you mentioned outside of clarke has shown much. Danny has had far more draft hits then misses drafting before 25, Yabu was a miss but Smart, Tatum, Brown, Bradley were all hits for their spots. Literally every team passed on Bol, that should tell you something players with his frame almot never succeed. Danny has been a good drafter throughout his career. Al Jefferson, Rondo, Perk, Gerald Green all had good carers. All gm;s hit and miss, Danny has had fewer misses then most.


talk about weak takes. Yikes
User avatar
BigTrade92
General Manager
Posts: 8,150
And1: 8,924
Joined: Mar 24, 2011
       

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#134 » by BigTrade92 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:09 am

BK_2020 wrote:
BigTrade92 wrote:
akidlittle wrote:Some are reacting like Danny traded Tatum and 3 1st rounders for Nerlens Noel lol

He lost out on a 24 year old All Star-caliber Center for a guy who didn’t want to be here anymore, all because he got greedy and overplayed his hand.

The Celtics were the laughingstock of the sports world yesterday all due to Danny’s stupidity.

No matter how big of an Ainge fan one may be, that type of blunder is indefensible no matter which way you slice it.

When has Turner even sniffed an All star game lmao

Reading comprehension is key.
denmuscles
Pro Prospect
Posts: 767
And1: 557
Joined: Apr 05, 2018
         

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#135 » by denmuscles » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:19 am

Danny would of been fired if it was a different team he was managing. Him and Wyc and the rest of the ownership have a formidable bond that goes personal, beyond business. They have full trust in Danny and have been backing him up year after year.

I do think its time for him to step down.
denmuscles
Pro Prospect
Posts: 767
And1: 557
Joined: Apr 05, 2018
         

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#136 » by denmuscles » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:22 am

Red2
RealGM
Posts: 12,514
And1: 2,860
Joined: Aug 04, 2003

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#137 » by Red2 » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:16 am

Has Danny addressed the media about his f up? I suspect he’s still trying to salvage something from Charlotte but there’s no question in my mind that he overplayed his hand
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
Captain_Caveman
RealGM
Posts: 22,233
And1: 30,567
Joined: Jun 25, 2007
       

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#138 » by Captain_Caveman » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:33 am

Why does this board suuuuuuuck? lol
User avatar
Asian Celtic
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,730
And1: 4,767
Joined: Jun 10, 2016
 

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#139 » by Asian Celtic » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:15 pm

Asian Celtic wrote:**** ainge


Quoting myself after this mental breakdown because i deserve this.

Image
User avatar
GreenBloodedC
RealGM
Posts: 11,518
And1: 12,604
Joined: May 08, 2012

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#140 » by GreenBloodedC » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:05 pm

Time to accept that Danny will have his job as long as he still wants it. :lol:
Image

Return to Boston Celtics