ImageImageImage

Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

3D Chess
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,728

Re: Fire Ainge: Thanks Danny, but it's time to go 

Post#241 » by 3D Chess » Thu Dec 3, 2020 10:30 pm

Anybody saying Ainge should have flipped Kyrie is missing out on the idea that we needed to keep him around to have any shot at attracting target number 1 - AD, to say nothing to also bringing KD to the party.
Writebloc
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,615

Post#242 » by Writebloc » Thu Dec 3, 2020 10:42 pm

3D Chess wrote:Anybody saying Ainge should have flipped Kyrie is missing out on the idea that we needed to keep him around to have any shot at attracting target number 1 - AD, to say nothing to also bringing KD to the party.

That was nothing more than a pipe dream by that time in the season, by the All-star break the jig was up.
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#243 » by GoGreen » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:31 am

With all the assets Danny has had to work with since the big 3 left, what does he have to show for it? This team, right now. An all star, a potential all star, an aging former all star on a terrible contract whose knee is shot and a bunch of roleplayers.

Idk how yall defend him so vehemently. I'm not saying he's not trying, I'm just saying he hasn't done a great job given the opportunities he's had
BK_2020
RealGM
And1: 13,839

Post#244 » by BK_2020 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:32 am

Kemba was an All Star in the most recent basketball season and that means he’s a former all star?
playa-hater
RealGM
And1: 18,491

Post#245 » by playa-hater » Fri Dec 4, 2020 2:51 am

I think if your being totally honest and open minded, you would have to believe that Ainge is/has been a good GM overall. And Boston is better with him than without. But even with Ainge's resume, he should still at least feel some heat for his F ups and has to over come some recent failures (drafting non top 6 lottery picks etc.)

For all we know, maybe Ainge needs some better evaluators/scouts and he needs to listen to them more.
SHOOTERS SHOOTER SHOOTERS
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#246 » by Banks2Pierce » Fri Dec 4, 2020 3:20 am

GoGreen wrote:With all the assets Danny has had to work with since the big 3 left, what does he have to show for it? This team, right now. An all star, a potential all star, an aging former all star on a terrible contract whose knee is shot and a bunch of roleplayers.

Idk how yall defend him so vehemently. I'm not saying he's not trying, I'm just saying he hasn't done a great job given the opportunities he's had

Read on Twitter

That's not bad for an outcome to this whole thing. He's had 3 straight strong FAs(when they left at least) leave and still has built a team strong enough to be a top 5 contender. Look at Hayward's initial injury. The Warriors had a similarly rated player go down and people are like "8 seed? they gonna tank"? But Ainge crushed his BKN picks and we still have enough irons on the fire to come out of this with enough to push towards a title because Tatum is an All Timer in the making. Tatum and Brown got so good so quickly that it even pushed Hayward out of town early because he knows he doesn't deserve their possessions. Victim of our own success.

Aingey got unlucky with the KG injury, Rondo injuries, Perk injury, Hayward injuries, and Kyrie injuries. The Kemba knee could be added or may retroactively be. I know short pgs have that going against them, but it's still a bad beat to have him nerfed for his first of 4 years. That's just how it crumbles sometimes or we'd have 1 or 2 more banners. Only 1 can win. If you think he's not in the top 7 or 8 in the league, you don't really pay attention to what the rest of the league is doing or know how the hit rates for lower 1st round draft picks pan out. Don't care if you call me an apologist because I'm right.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#247 » by Bleeding Green » Fri Dec 4, 2020 9:27 am

I always wonder what people who think Ainge sucks, what do they think of the rest of the NBA GMs? Presti, Morey, Masai, Connelly, Frank, Lindsey, Buford, Meyers are all good GMs I think. Morey hasn't won ****, ditto Presti; Imagine the outcry here if Ainge had let his team not get past the first round 6 years in a row while a Hall of Fame player like Russell Westbrook were wining MVPs.

Connelly is building the best young team in basketball, but also hasn't won anything yet in 7 years. It's really hard to build a long-term winner in the NBA unless you draft LeBron, Duncan or Curry.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#248 » by ParticleMan » Fri Dec 4, 2020 10:15 am

GoGreen wrote:With all the assets Danny has had to work with since the big 3 left, what does he have to show for it? This team, right now. An all star, a potential all star, an aging former all star on a terrible contract whose knee is shot and a bunch of roleplayers.

you say all we have is an allstar, a borderline allstar, a hurt former allstar, and role players. but look around the EC, and what do you see?

Bucks: an allstar, a borderline allstar, and some role players. the difference is their allstar/borderline guys are in their prime, so they are winning more. but ours are still young and improving, so i'd take our roster going forward.
Heat: an allstar, a borderline allstar, and some role players. similarly, their allstar is in his prime, so they had more experience to win. again, given tatum's ascendance, i'd take our roster going forward.
Raps: do they even have a legit allstar? siakam is probably borderline, got eaten alive by our borderline allstar last year. no thanks.
Nets: yeah they've got a superteam. let's see how that goes lol. do you really want kyrie back? no thanks.

so in my view, i'd say there's nobody i would obviously trade our rosters with in the EC. the exception might be the bucks, but remember this: while we were competing for titles for many years in the new big 3 era, the bucks were wallowing in mediocrity. we had a couple of down years, and we're right back competing for a title. that's due to ainge.

the WC has better players, but the lakers win because AD and Lebron decided to team up in LA. that's the only reason. just like the only reason miami won a title is because lebron and bosh decided to team up with wade. the next time the celtics has two top-5 players deciding to team up like that, let me know. it's not ainge's fault that north beach isn't as attractive a destination as south beach or hollywood. blaming ainge for that seems misguided to say the least.

the point is, ainge has consistently kept the Celtics competitive at the conference finals level for most of his tenure. yes, he's only won 1 title, but let's face it, once you get to the conf finals, a lot of it is luck. we had crap injury luck twice in the big 3 era when we were clear title faves. again, hard to blame ainge for guys (especially our young guys!) throwing out their shoulder or elbow during the playoffs.

so this is my view. it's not apologizing or being defensive. it's just an objective look at our history, and our future. ainge isn't perfect by any means, but if you can name another GM who has rebuilt a team to contention from a 20's-win team in the last 15 years, *twice*, without an mvp-caliber player showing up at their doorstep, i'm all ears.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#249 » by Bohemian » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:33 am

He’s had plenty of time to build a team that competes for titles every year instead of just the playoffs. The 2008 title was a long time ago, and the 2010 Finals loss still stings. The Patriots have three titles since 2008, and two more AFC crowns. The Sox have won twice since then. The Bruins have one Stanley Cup and two near-misses.

The bar is high in Boston, the currency here is championships. Without one this year, it’s time to make a change.

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/12/23/ainge/
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,974

Post#250 » by sam_I_am » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:49 pm

GS should fire everybody. They suck.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,878

Post#251 » by Celts17Pride » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Don’t worry if Ainge trades for Harden he will be following him right out the door in 2 years
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#252 » by Bleeding Green » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:36 pm

They say it's best to retire on top, and winning back-to-back titles is surely a good way to go out. Unfortunately he won't be around for Tatum's prime, though.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#253 » by canman1971 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:42 pm

Bohemian wrote:
He’s had plenty of time to build a team that competes for titles every year instead of just the playoffs. The 2008 title was a long time ago, and the 2010 Finals loss still stings. The Patriots have three titles since 2008, and two more AFC crowns. The Sox have won twice since then. The Bruins have one Stanley Cup and two near-misses.

The bar is high in Boston, the currency here is championships. Without one this year, it’s time to make a change.

Who the hell is this tool? Just another new hack pretend journalist.
fallguy
Head Coach
And1: 10,017

Post#254 » by fallguy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:09 pm

canman1971 wrote:
Bohemian wrote:

Who the hell is this tool? Just another new hack pretend journalist.

Some sort of general sports columnist with all the insight of the guy beside you at the bar.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#255 » by ddb » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:05 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Don’t worry if Ainge trades for Harden he will be following him right out the door in 2 years

Here's the thing....Does anyone truly believe Danny Ainge will trade for James Harden? Very slim chance. But I did want to come on here to talk a bit about Danny Ainge. So I'm not responding back directly to your comment, just sharing some thoughts on DA.

First of all, I'm not in the fire DA camp (yet). The guy has done a heck of a job over the years and has done far more good then bad as Prez/GM. I think DA runs a one of the leagues top organizations and for that I thank him. But with that said, has he developed too much of a "Trader Danny" reputation in the league? Think about it....It just seems like he is having a much more difficult time making good trades nowadays VS earlier in his tenure. I believe it's because teams are afraid to trade with him....He's well respected as an executive and it just seems like opposing GM's when dealing with DA are thinking to themselves, "what does Danny know that my staff and I are missing?? you know what. I'll pass. I'm gonna go with this other deal instead." I certainly believe Danny is TRYING to get big deals done. I just don't think he's been able to pull it off.

Draft wise he's been good drafting at the top, not so good drafting in the middle to late first round. So overall he's solid here, but his staff absolutely stinks at evaluating international prospects and they seem to always go with "safe" picks or highly rated HS players that fell off some. I'm not overly impressed with their drafting. and it's coming back to haunt them.

Looking at this current situation, my concerns heading in are already becoming an issue. They are paper thin. Not enough depth, not enough facilitating. As a result it looks like Tatum is trying to do too much, Smart is playing out of position, and overall the team just doesn't look good at all. They have Kemba at big money for 3 more years which really doesn't look good right now unless he's able to come back fully healthy (I doubt it), and in comparison to other east teams, it looks like Boston is falling down the standings VS moving up towards being a contender.

why draft Nesmith at #14 then not even play him a second in the first 3 games? Why keep going with Grant Williams who looks absolutely terrible? Semi is Semi, but again why is he locked in to a rotation spot? Why hasn't Danny used at least one of his TPE's to bring in SOMEONE that can help? nobody is saying blow his load now and use the Hayward TPE....but if Danny is going to hold off on using it, the team is going to fall further and further down the standings. and God for big JB or JT or Smart gets covid or injured. The team would lose every game if that was the case.

I just don't understand what the point of bringing Thompson/Teague in is if they don't plan on making more moves....Those are championship contender type moves bringing in veterans like TT & Teague.

Play Nesmith. Play Pritchard. Sit Semi & Grant down. I'm hopeful DA has moves up his sleeve and the team gets to where we all want to see them. just frustrated at their offseason and what I'm seeing on the court right now.

Kyrie gone. Horford gone. Hayward gone. Rozier gone. All Ainge has to show for it is an injured bad contract in Kemba and a TPE
robdog_5
Veteran
And1: 2,155

Post#256 » by robdog_5 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:24 pm

The Hayward thing screwed us. We got a TPE. But by the time he left Boston had missed out on a lot if the possible FA who could have helped.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,681

Post#257 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:37 pm

They lost Hayward for nothing (wouldn't surprise me if he's unable to use the trade exception) and the bench continues to be weak because of how many wasted picks he's had over the past 7 years.

On top of that he signed a max contract to Walker who has 3 years on his contract and is untreatable because his knee is complete junk.

Teams like the bucks, heat, nets bucks and even atlanta are getting better meanwhile the Celtics are trending in the wrong direction. I just don't know how much longer Wyc and Co should keep Danny in charge.
*Insert witty signature here.*
GoGreen
Analyst
And1: 3,486

Post#258 » by GoGreen » Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:45 pm

The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:They lost Hayward for nothing (wouldn't surprise me if he's unable to use the trade exception) and the bench continues to be weak because of how many wasted picks he's had over the past 7 years.

On top of that he signed a max contract to Walker who has 3 years on his contract and is untreatable because his knee is complete junk.

Teams like the bucks, heat, nets bucks and even atlanta are getting better meanwhile the Celtics are trending in the wrong direction. I just don't know how much longer Wyc and Co should keep Danny in charge.

The Kemba knee thing is inexcusable. How do you not know this could potentially happen before signing him? We had Rozier to keep, so we didn't NEED the guy. Granted, Terry wasn't viewed in a great light at the time, but ffs, I take him over someone who can't even play!
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#259 » by BK_2020 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:20 pm

On the bright side Brandon Clarke sucks.
BK_2020
RealGM

Post#260 » by BK_2020 » Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:22 pm

GoGreen wrote:
The_Ghost_of_JB wrote:They lost Hayward for nothing (wouldn't surprise me if he's unable to use the trade exception) and the bench continues to be weak because of how many wasted picks he's had over the past 7 years.

The Kemba knee thing is inexcusable. How do you not know this could potentially happen before signing him? We had Rozier to keep, so we didn't NEED the guy. Granted, Terry wasn't viewed in a great light at the time, but ffs, I take him over someone who can't even play!

Kemba was pursued by the Lakers, Mavs, Knicks, as well as his own team at the time the Hornets. That's just how it works in the NBA, if you are good enough teams will offer the max or close to it even if you come with injury concerns. The Nets signed KD knowing he'd be out a full year and signed Kyrie knowing he's missed 20 games every season.
The idea that we had Rozier so we don't need much better players is just...

Return to Boston Celtics