ImageImageImage

Trade Thread #8: All Gordon things come to an End

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Re: Trade Thread #8: All Gordon things come to an End 

Post#1261 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:19 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Afam wrote:Tatum is a mvp caliber player, but that’s not enough to win a championship. You need at least one or two more stars. Thats just how the NBA operates.

The goal of sports is to win, entertain/entertainment , and make profits/money. You can’t act like it, pretend it doesn’t exist. To wish it away. Teams fire their coaches, make changes to their front office personnel due to lack of winning. If Danny Ainge was on any other team but the Celtics,he would have been fired. Let’s be honest about that. What saved Danny was the KG trade. I believe they would have mutually partied ways if that trade didn’t occur.

Winning, making the playoffs, winning a championship brings in revenue for the team and the league. No one wants to watch and root for a bad product like the Magic, at it Least most people wouldn’t, including me.

What would you have done differently?

Not tanking enough the Smart draft year and missing out on Embiid is the biggest misfire to me.

Scene: 2013 NBA draft

After much speculation, its finally announced that the Celtics have traded Pierce and KG to the Nets. The team hired a new coach and is about to enter a rebuild. Our star PG will likely miss most of the year with a torn ACL. They trade up into the lottery. Rumors are flying that they’re highly interested in this unknown prospect from Greece that Ainge personally scouted and compared to Scottie Pippen. And he **** drafts a 4 year college player.

I will never get over this. We traded up to pick a college senior right as we were about to commence the rebuild.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#1262 » by Celts17Pride » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:19 pm

The Comedian wrote:
Afam wrote:Tatum is a mvp caliber player, but that’s not enough to win a championship. You need at least one or two more stars. Thats just how the NBA operates.

The goal of sports is to win, entertain/entertainment , and make profits/money. You can’t act like it, pretend it doesn’t exist. To wish it away. Teams fire their coaches, make changes to their front office personnel due to lack of winning. If Danny Ainge was on any other team but the Celtics,he would have been fired. Let’s be honest about that. What saved Danny was the KG trade. I believe they would have mutually partied ways if that trade didn’t occur.

Winning, making the playoffs, winning a championship brings in revenue for the team and the league. No one wants to watch and root for a bad product like the Magic, at it Least most people wouldn’t, including me.

Not tanking enough the Smart draft year and missing out on Embiid is the biggest misfire to me.

Ainge failed because he didn’t get Harden, Beal and AD this off season
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#1263 » by Afam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:19 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Feed Your Head
RealGM
And1: 69,465

Post#1264 » by Feed Your Head » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:20 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
The Comedian wrote:

Scene: 2013 NBA draft

After much speculation, its finally announced that the Celtics have traded Pierce and KG to the Nets. The team hired a new coach and is about to enter a rebuild. Our star PG will likely miss most of the year with a torn ACL. They trade up into the lottery. Rumors are flying that they’re highly interested in this unknown prospect from Greece that Ainge personally scouted and compared to Scottie Pippen. And he **** drafts a 4 year college player.

I will never get over this. We traded up to pick a college senior right as we were about to commence the rebuild.

Well yeah lol, that one is such a given that I didn’t even bother naming it.

I was so excited when we traded up.
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#1265 » by jfs1000d » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:22 pm

Afam wrote:
Froob wrote:
Afam wrote:I agree though we are not a champion team. More moves has to be done to reach that status. The fan base also needs to start pushing ownership to improve the team. One championship in 12 years is not a good record. The ultimate goal in the NBA, in sports is to win a championship, and the Celtics/ownership has failed on that.

Only the Heat, Lakers, and Warriors have multiple championships since 2008. This is kinda a high bar you’re setting.

We are the Celtics. The bar has to be high Froob. Lol

I disagree. We have good fans and history, but why are our expectations ridiculously higher than say the lakers?

They won a title because they got the cool kids. They did **** the last decade before that.

We have made the ecf 3 times last 4 years. In last 12 years 2 finals appearances and 4 ecf finals and 11 playoff appearances. That is high-level stuff. And, we got two stud you g guys u see 25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#1266 » by sully00 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:22 pm

This is such nonsense. Winning championships is incredibly difficult in the NBA. 7 teams have won a title since Boston last won and that is actually a lot of teams for the time span. Teams that operate as Championship or fail tend to burn quickly fail fantastically. Change for the sake of change is stupid. 95% of the FO in this league would have drafted Fultz instead of Tatum. How many players have Boston had to waive and stretch? While they have had some disappointment with their veteran players leaving it is because they actually produced so well in Boston that other teams are willing to overpay them to try and get the success that Ainge is getting.

Why are Jayson Tatum and Jalen Brown expected to win championships before they even get paid on veteran extensions? LeBron was 27 and on his second team and second contract before he won. Nobody actually thought IT, Horford, and Hayward would win a title. They idea was to create a competitive environment for the lottery picks from the Nets to develop in. It has been a fantastic success.

Sure you want to maximize assets so it sucks to have guys walk out the door without compensation. But getting out from Hayward's contract a year early is actually a miracle it has literally been an albatross since game 1. That guy isn't worth half of what he is getting paid. Hoford already had to be salary dumped.

It is really hard to win a championship without having someone you would consider in the conversation of best player in the league. Right now 2 of those guys are on the same team. Right now is the time to work on getting Tatum into that conversation and looking to capitalize on an opportunity.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#1267 » by RickyDizzle » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:23 pm

There will be a lot of teams with cap room next year if we get a TPE its better to use it now for a playmaking forward, +shooter, or future trade ballast: bogdan, barnes, hield, fournier, a gordon, tim hardaway, etc.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1268 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:25 pm

Also, wtf— Sean Grande basically promised me Shaq Harrison and I see no Shaq Harrison. Biggest loss of the offseason IMO.
Afam
RealGM

Post#1269 » by Afam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:26 pm

Boston on the map huh. It needs to be a big time destination for people in general, celebrities included.

Read on Twitter
Scarletfire81
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,445

Post#1270 » by Scarletfire81 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:27 pm

Hopefully we know more by 12pm, when the deals become official.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#1271 » by KGboss » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:29 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:
The Corey's wrote:What's the latest

I guess we are still just waiting on this Gordo thing. Will it be a sign and trade or won’t it.
Moratorium is up at noon so I'd imagine some traction on that front in about a half hour.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Afam
RealGM

Post#1272 » by Afam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:29 pm

jfs1000d wrote:
Afam wrote:
Froob wrote:Only the Heat, Lakers, and Warriors have multiple championships since 2008. This is kinda a high bar you’re setting.

We are the Celtics. The bar has to be high Froob. Lol

I disagree. We have good fans and history, but why are our expectations ridiculously higher than say the lakers?

They won a title because they got the cool kids. They did **** the last decade before that.

We have made the ecf 3 times last 4 years. In last 12 years 2 finals appearances and 4 ecf finals and 11 playoff appearances. That is high-level stuff. And, we got two stud you g guys u see 25

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree to disagree. I expect winning from the team I root for, championships. If I am going to invest my time to watch and root for them, regardless if it is a few seconds, minutes, hours that’s what I expect. It is not enough to make the playoffs. That’s setting the bar too low. The bare minimum.
Bohemian
Analyst
And1: 3,308

Post#1273 » by Bohemian » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:30 pm

Scarletfire81 wrote:Hopefully we know more by 12pm, when the deals become official.

Is it 12pm EST? So in like 30 minutes?

I am in Europe :P It´s 5:30 pm here
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1274 » by sully00 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:31 pm

canman1971 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
sully00 wrote:
From the jump Hayward's salary for next season 27.9 mil that is the most any TPE would be for. But the reason that CHA would be interested in a S&T is to avoid having to waive and stretch Batum. So they need to get rid of that 7.9 mil. Obviously Zeller at 15mil is a solution that would reduce the TPE to 12.9 mil as is Rozier's 18.9 mil whish would reduce the TPE 9 mil. Rozier could likely be rerouted to another team with cap space like the Knicks and again creating the potential for full TPE of 27.9.

Someone somewhere would of signed Batum so find that team and make it a three team deal so we can get our 27.9 exception and they can get out of the remaining Batum contract?

No team would take Batum's contract. Sure they'll sign him, after he is waived and Charlotte is on the hook for the money.

I am actually wondering about this. It is not my money. What if you can get an asset from CHA for taking on Batum? Just curious if a relocation could get him back to being effective or is he physically shot? Batum alive and well playing effectively could actually help Boston would also be more valuable than a TPE which in itself has no value and Boston no long has lottery picks to attach to it.
BigTrade92
General Manager
And1: 10,685

Post#1275 » by BigTrade92 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:39 pm

Afam wrote:Boston on the map huh. It needs to be a big time destination for people in general, celebrities included.

Read on Twitter

Goddamit :nonono:
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1276 » by sully00 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:40 pm

My point with Batum is that in season he can be used in a trade to acquire a 34 mil in salary. I have not looked at the cap implications for Boston as they are hard capped now but could make the team a player in any in season deal that involves moving one of these major salaries that roster crunch will make challenging.
ThirtyFour
Starter
And1: 3,477

Post#1277 » by ThirtyFour » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:41 pm

sully00 wrote:
canman1971 wrote:
The Corey's wrote:
Someone somewhere would of signed Batum so find that team and make it a three team deal so we can get our 27.9 exception and they can get out of the remaining Batum contract?

No team would take Batum's contract. Sure they'll sign him, after he is waived and Charlotte is on the hook for the money.

I am actually wondering about this. It is not my money. What if you can get an asset from CHA for taking on Batum? Just curious if a relocation could get him back to being effective or is he physically shot? Batum alive and well playing effectively could actually help Boston would also be more valuable than a TPE which in itself has no value and Boston no long has lottery picks to attach to it.

Are there no teams that would want such a large expiring contract?
“There’s a sense of pride, there’s an edge you have to have to play here. I can only imagine the love, the reception, if you hung one of those banners up. It would be incredible — it’s going to be incredible. I know it.” —Jayson Tatum
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1278 » by SmartWentCrazy » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Afam wrote:Boston on the map huh. It needs to be a big time destination for people in general, celebrities included.

Read on Twitter

Tatum is totally going to end up dating a Kardashian/Jenner now. This sucks.
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,671

Post#1279 » by The Corey's » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:42 pm

sully00 wrote:My point with Batum is that in season he can be used in a trade to acquire a 34 mil in salary. I have not looked at the cap implications for Boston as they are hard capped now but could make the team a player in any in season deal that involves moving one of these major salaries that roster crunch will make challenging.

You're talking about using batum salary in addition to the exception to bring in more salary?
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,671

Post#1280 » by The Corey's » Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:42 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Read on Twitter

Tatum is totally going to end up dating a Kardashian/Jenner now. This sucks.

Sucks for who? That'd be awesome for him.

Return to Boston Celtics