ImageImageImage

Trade Thread #8: All Gordon things come to an End

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Re: Trade Thread #8: All Gordon things come to an End 

Post#1361 » by SMTBSI » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:44 pm

SMTBSI wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:BTW, Hornets can just engage some other team to dump salary and not involve us at all. Then sign Hayward outright once they clear enough cap space. No TPE for us in that case. Just some salty tears and those stains on the wall from the **** I keep throwing.

Even in that case, nothing preventing it from being formatted as a S&T. Very curious to see if they turn down the free pick just to spite us. Hard for me to imagine an FO actually conducting business that way - intentionally harming themselves to spite another team. But you never know. Humans are weird.

Also, we recently just helped them out in a similar way. From the CHA board:

Maybe worth noting: when we traded Kemba for Rozier, there was no incentive for Boston to help us do that. They had capspace for Kemba, but we needed help to get Rozier.

As expected, we sent them a 2nd round pick (became Yam Madar), but surprisingly we got them to send us one back (Riller).

We had 0 leverage in that deal, yet we still pulled a minor asset out of it. All that to say, it makes sense for both teams to agree to a sign-and-trade, but I wouldn't expect a major coup here.

Is CHA going to accept our goodwill, then, in a very similar situation, turn around and spite us? That would be pretty crappy. The optimist in me is telling me not to just assume so because everything always has to be awful.
keevsnick1
Veteran
And1: 4,069

Post#1362 » by keevsnick1 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:44 pm

Well if there's one thing I think is for rue the Celtics did an amazing job with Jaylen's contract last summer. With NYK more or less punting on cap space this year, CHA willing to go 4/120 for Hayward and ATL making a restricted offer to Bodgan i think it's pretty clear there would have been at least one maybe multiple max offers for Jaylen out there. NYK would have for sure, ATL could have not signed Rondo and thrown that + Bogdans money at Jaylen. CHA could have make the hayward offer to Jaylen. And on top of that they probably would have been 3+1 player option deals. But it worked out for Jaylen too, he's now gonna get all he can eat usage wise going forward.
Afam
RealGM
And1: 8,437

Post#1363 » by Afam » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:45 pm

Read on Twitter
Edug27
RealGM
And1: 8,204

Post#1364 » by Edug27 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:45 pm

thebirdman wrote:I expect Nesmith to be one of the best SGs in the league, so we have that SG spot covered long term...

Is this a legit take? I don’t really watch college ball so wondering what his ceiling is
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#1365 » by sully00 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:46 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:BTW, Hornets can just engage some other team to dump salary and not involve us at all. Then sign Hayward outright once they clear enough cap space. No TPE for us in that case. Just some salty tears and those stains on the wall from the **** I keep throwing.

Sure they can but the pieces they have to move are Batum, Rozier, or Zeller. They don't actually have the 8 mil dollar option send out unless they use young players. They could send out Monk and the Martin brothers or some combo end of bench guys but the other challenge is that they are not vet min contracts.

Cap space is a lot tighter than it was a few days ago.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,022

Post#1366 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:46 pm

ConstableGeneva wrote:Giannis's salary fits right into the Hayward TPE if we get no salary back in the Hornets S&T. Also, Al Horford. LOL.
Can't. Hard capped.

Sent from my moto g(7) using RealGM mobile app
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
yeleven11
Rookie
And1: 1,545

Post#1367 » by yeleven11 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:47 pm

Edug27 wrote:
thebirdman wrote:I expect Nesmith to be one of the best SGs in the league, so we have that SG spot covered long term...

Is this a legit take? I don’t really watch college ball so wondering what his ceiling is

Draft twitter (guys who actually watch a ton of film on these prospects) hated the pick universally. They think his 52% 3pt shooting number is a bit of a mirage based on competition and small sample size. And if that shooting isnt real he doesnt give you much else. If his shooting isnt spectacular, his path to being worth it at the 14th pick is pretty low.
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1368 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:48 pm

leper-con wrote:This offseason has given me the gum disease gingivitis.
For some reason I had my heart set on Christian wood who ended up signing with Houston
For mle signing I'd have said yes over tt. Worth the risk. For more and giving up assets for a dude only good on 1-11 team I'm fine not getting him

jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#1369 » by jfs1000d » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:48 pm

Hornets will S&T with us. We helped them out last year. And we have a good relationship. Unlike with Indy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1370 » by Darth Celtic » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Writebloc wrote:Any chance the Celtics can shake Eric Gordon loose?
Puts us in tax

Edug27
RealGM

Post#1371 » by Edug27 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:49 pm

NuckyPowell wrote:Playoff team, for sure, on top of what they already had.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Spending money just to spend money. Now really all that impressed with the players and their fits.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#1372 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:49 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:Giannis's salary fits right into the Hayward TPE if we get no salary back in the Hornets S&T. Also, Al Horford. LOL.
Can't. Hard capped.

Right. 'Cos of full MLE use on Thompson. Gotta send some salary back.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#1373 » by ParticleMan » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm

yeleven11 wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Draft twitter (guys who actually watch a ton of film on these prospects) hated the pick universally. They think his 52% 3pt shooting number is a bit of a mirage based on competition and small sample size. And if that shooting isnt real he doesnt give you much else. If his shooting isnt spectacular, his path to being worth it at the 14th pick is pretty low.

not sure who has said what on twitter but he is definitely acknowledged as the best shooter in the draft. he has a weak handle and doesn't create for others, but if you want a deadeye shooter he's your guy. things like handle and vision can improve tho, see brown, jaylen.

i think it's a real stretch to say the pick was universally hated. he was picked about where most draftnicks thought he would be, and he fills a major need for us. but yeah, a top SG in the league? that would be a surprise but stranger things have happened.
rd26
Junior
And1: 592

Post#1374 » by rd26 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm

Leverage isn't all with Charlotte here. Stretching Batum is just a bad option, but the only sure way to sign Hayward without being held hostage by Ainge.

They would be eating a ton of cap, and pissing away a 27mil expiring to do it.

There are tons of possibly better avenues to get the deal done for Charlotte, but alot of those require Boston. Once Ainge turns in TTs paperwork, any SNT is dead. It would be silly for Jordan not to give us a TPE to hold paperwork while they at least look around. I seriously doubt it even costs us a draft pick unless it is for the full value.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,694

Post#1375 » by return2glory » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:51 pm

Edug27 wrote:

Jerry Stackhouse, who was Nesmith’s college coach said he could be like Kris Middleton, if not better. For what it’s worth.
Edug27
RealGM

Post#1376 » by Edug27 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:51 pm

I never bought into the Myles Turner trade. Didn’t make sense. I got a bit excited thinking about Bogdan. That, to me, made sense. Hawks messing everything up. I wouldn’t position ourselves for Giannas. No chance he signs here as a free agent. BUT, if for some crazy chance he hits the trade market, I like our chances.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,192

Post#1377 » by ConstableGeneva » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:52 pm

sully00 wrote:

Sure they can but the pieces they have to move are Batum, Rozier, or Zeller. They don't actually have the 8 mil dollar option send out unless they use young players. They could send out Monk and the Martin brothers or some combo end of bench guys but the other challenge is that they are not vet min contracts.

Cap space is a lot tighter than it was a few days ago.

Suns, Knicks, OKC, and Mavs are teams they can engage. Some salary coming back to CHA just enough to clear space. They would have to move one of their bigger contracts either way.
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
SMTBSI
RealGM
And1: 25,281

Post#1378 » by SMTBSI » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:52 pm

Darth Celtic wrote:

Can't. Hard capped.

I can't believe I'm treating this seriously, but:

If Giannis was coming here, you easily give Smart away to make room.
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,523

Post#1379 » by snowman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:52 pm

Speaking of the possible TPE with Charlotte, I am not a "cap" person, but is this the kind of deal we are looking for ? Or am I looking at this totally wrong ?

If we trade them Hayward (in a sign and trade) along with Semi, Green and Edwards and take back Zeller, that would be $34,788,912 (assuming Hayward at 30 mil) going out and $15.415.730 along with a trade exception of $19,373,182 coming back. Then we could flip Zeller to another team for something. Doesn't Charlotte need to shed around 20 mil, give or take a bit?
Edug27
RealGM

Post#1380 » by Edug27 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:52 pm

return2glory wrote:
Edug27 wrote:

Jerry Stackhouse, who was Nesmith’s college coach said he could be like Kris Middleton, if not better. For what it’s worth.

Would be nice. Though I would expect his coach to hype his guys up prior to draft.

Return to Boston Celtics